As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [Movie]

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Baby Driver is a really strange movie for me because everyone seems to like it, if not outright love it, and I found it to just be...mediocre? It's like it hits a blind spot in my film taste buds or something. (I get extra points for mixing metaphors, right?)

I really liked Baby Driver, just from a stunt and editing perspective. The story was the weakest aspect, but I did like the characters. But I think every kid in a film class has listened to a song on their Zune and been like "... This would be a great song for a bank heist/chase scene/etc."

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Baby Driver is a really strange movie for me because everyone seems to like it, if not outright love it, and I found it to just be...mediocre? It's like it hits a blind spot in my film taste buds or something. (I get extra points for mixing metaphors, right?)

I really liked Baby Driver, just from a stunt and editing perspective. The story was the weakest aspect, but I did like the characters. But I think every kid in a film class has listened to a song on their Zune and been like "... This would be a great song for a bank heist/chase scene/etc."

Yeah, I enjoyed the film and the way it's put together is kinda brilliant and I liked a lot of the characters. But it misses the mark on being great imo because the overall direction of the story just doesn't grab you. The whole ending section especially I'm just not a big fan of.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Edit: Baby Driver

All the epilogue stuff really cuts the movies legs out from under it, for me at least. I don't want to know his real name and the courtroom scenes feel like they're from a completely different genre.

Carpy on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Also, cause I got looking at Jackie Chan videos, probably one of my favorite fight scenes in a movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-ltRBEu0IU

That kick at 2:48 and that kick at 4:00 are both incredible. So clean and sharp. Also, that candle snuff at 1:12

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Captain America's 'fuck your walls, fuck your doors' run in Winter Soldier was a fun little dash.

Also Steve’s exasperation with Bucky over him nearly killing people.

Edit oh wait I am thinking of civil war, not winter soldier

I always felt like that exasperation was more of "Bucky, stop throwing the murder troops off the stairs because you know perfectly well that I will catch them while you keep trying to get away, not to mention that I'm trying to clear you of a murder rap right this very second BUCKY STOP THROWING GUYS IT LOOKS VERY BAD".

I don't think Rogers was particularly bothered by the threat posed to the actual murder soldiers there to execute his actually innocent friend. Even as a SHIELD agent Rogers was used to get detailed briefings, not just carrying out execution orders based on a name and a picture; he probably had a pretty dim view of that.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Also, cause I got looking at Jackie Chan videos, probably one of my favorite fight scenes in a movie:

That kick at 2:48 and that kick at 4:00 are both incredible. So clean and sharp. Also, that candle snuff at 1:12

Having held pads for The Jet, he kicks like a goddamn mule. How him and Jackie weren't in traction after that scene is astounding.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Bogart wrote: »

It's tough to think of lots of contenders for this, so there's something movies can get on with pronto.

Brick, hands down.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Having held pads for The Jet, he kicks like a goddamn mule. How him and Jackie weren't in traction after that scene is astounding.
    well apparently they did beat the shit out of each other... in a friendly sort of way.

https://youtu.be/8G_J1Vw1lO4

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

well apparently they did beat the shit out of each other... in a friendly sort of way.

Yeah, even with the flak jacket he's clearly wearing he mentioned how bout half his trunk and both thighs were discolored for days.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    As a Chinese-American kid growing up in the 80's/90's and being fed a steady diet of Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and a whole host of others, I always felt underwhelmed whenever I watched American action movies and my friends talked about how amazing action stars like Steven Seagal were. And even though Jean-Claude Van Damme performed impressive physical feats, the fight choreography in his films were, frankly, mediocre in comparison to what I was used to, even when they had legit Hong Kong action directors.

I remember getting one of my karate-obsessed friends to watch Fist of Legend for the first time in high school and her mind was blown. She had no idea that there was stuff like that out there, or that Jackie Chan wasn't just some crazy comedy/stunt guy andhad legit fight scenes that pretty much set the standard for everyone else. She kept asking to borrow more and more my old bootleg VHS tapes for HK/wuxia movies and just burned through all of them.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Foot race:

One Jump Ahead from Alladin.

https://youtu.be/ih0dRkZ8pFA

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I think I'm pretty alone in this opinion, but I hate chase scenes. A foot chase is fine, but shit do I hate car chases. I don't know if it's the film language used, but I don't feel anything but ambivalent about the action on screen. The exceptions being scenes where the actors are out and visible, like Morpheus on the semi trailer, or Doc Brown and Clara Clayton heading towards old Eastwood Ravine. I realized I had this disconnect when I first saw Bourne and he's driving on the stairs and I could not wait for it to be over.

Part of it is that a car chase is almost never the end of things. They exist as spectacle, but the climax usually happens afterwards. You know they will crash, the bad guy will limp into the construction site, and he'll get punched up there to close out the story. And really, as spectacle, I don't care what a car does.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Have you seen Bulleitt?

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Have you seen Bulleitt?

Or The French Connection or Ronin. All amazing car chases.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Bullitt also has no music to its chase. Just the glorious V8 sound.

• Options
    Have you seen Bulleitt?

No, but you really don't want to play this game with me on this subject. Ronin gets a lot of car hype here and I tried that when it was streaming. You can assign me all your favorite car movies and I will dutifully report back how I felt nothing.

• Options
    I think I'm pretty alone in this opinion, but I hate chase scenes. A foot chase is fine, but shit do I hate car chases. I don't know if it's the film language used, but I don't feel anything but ambivalent about the action on screen. The exceptions being scenes where the actors are out and visible, like Morpheus on the semi trailer, or Doc Brown and Clara Clayton heading towards old Eastwood Ravine. I realized I had this disconnect when I first saw Bourne and he's driving on the stairs and I could not wait for it to be over.

Part of it is that a car chase is almost never the end of things. They exist as spectacle, but the climax usually happens afterwards. You know they will crash, the bad guy will limp into the construction site, and he'll get punched up there to close out the story. And really, as spectacle, I don't care what a car does.

I feel ya to some extent. I think a straight car chase is just not generally that interesting most of the time. Like Bullett left me completely cold on that front. You have me for a minute or two and then there better be something else going on besides just one car driving after another. I think the Bourne movies or the opening scene of Drive shoot things up enough for me to be engaged but many times it's just not much.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Have you seen Bulleitt?

No, but you really don't want to play this game with me on this subject. Ronin gets a lot of car hype here and I tried that when it was streaming. You can assign me all your favorite car movies and I will dutifully report back how I felt nothing.

Ok, but have you tried the final chase scene from Torque? I don't think you can possibly report back that you felt nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X19dK0OhyY

I mean, negative feelings are still feelings, right? 8-)

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Bullitt has, of course, a landmark chase scene (and, having driven some of those streets, holy shit) but by the time I saw the movie, that particular scene has been bandied about on so many lists of the best car chases ever that it had gotten a bit overhyped for me.

Luckily Bullitt is still just a good-ass movie, so it wasn't a problem.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Have you seen Bulleitt?

Ok, but have you tried the final chase scene from Torque? I don't think you can possibly report back that you felt nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X19dK0OhyY

Sure, but how many directors are as creative/delightfully insane as Joseph Kahn?

PS - Detention is great

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    shryke wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    Have you seen Bulleitt?

Sure, but how many directors are as creative/delightfully insane as Joseph Kahn?

PS - Detention is great

Detention is delightful. An absolute gem. I would love to see more Joseph Kahn movies.

To be fair, I enjoy Torque. I streamed it for a virtual watch party with friends last night and it went over well. There is a lot of deeply silly stuff throughout, to the point that a friend asked if Newtonian physics even exist in the world of Torque, but that final chase is just...

Ketar on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Ah, Torque, the "Wait, is that Luke Wilson? Oh, I guess it isn't Luke Wilson" movie.

The end of The Driver is still my favorite chase scene. Even over Bullitt. No soundtrack, just engine noise and tires through late 70's downtown LA at night, with plenty of long bumper-cam shots. The hopped-up C-10 with white rims vs. a Trans-Am ending in a cat-and-mouse stalking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Hcsww2x84

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Have you seen Bulleitt?

If you don't like the car chase in Blues Brothers you may actually be dead

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

You own a car?

by that I mean, most Americans, at least, have a deep personal connection to driving. To the freedom and power that come with driving, to a sense of identity associated with their cars and with having the ability to drive.

like, I could see someone who doesn't have that connection giving zero fucks about car chases pretty easily.

which isn't a criticism or anything, just a sort of... driving a car faster than you should is something that resonates with a lot of people. It's as much of a power fantasy as beating the hell out of a baddy.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Have you seen Bulleitt?

If you don't like the car chase in Blues Brothers you may actually be dead

Smoky and the Bandit

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Bullitt is also just an excellent movie, aside from the car chase. Solid script, good performances, interesting characters.

• Options
    redx wrote: »

You own a car?

by that I mean, most Americans, at least, have a deep personal connection to driving. To the freedom and power that come with driving, to a sense of identity associated with their cars and with having the ability to drive.

like, I could see someone who doesn't have that connection giving zero fucks about car chases pretty easily.

which isn't a criticism or anything, just a sort of... driving a car faster than you should is something that resonates with a lot of people. It's as much of a power fantasy as beating the hell out of a baddy.

I drive all over, but I don't feel powerful or free when I'm doing it. I am 6 foot 4, I feel like I'm in a cage.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bullitt is also just an excellent movie, aside from the car chase. Solid script, good performances, interesting characters.

Bullitt
    Has the definition of a "...WELP" ending for me.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Re: foot chases, there are some good potential candidates in horror.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I watched To Live and Die in LA

It's very much the blueprint for every 80s/90s action cop movie, but it kind of was a wet fart for me?

Am I missing something?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I very much enjoyed the 2017 British-Zambian film I Am Not A Witch; in fact, I was surprised by how funny it is. It tells the story of a young orphaned girl who's accused of being a witch by other villagers - one of them a hilariously hysterical guy who tells how she attacked him with an axe and chopped off one of his arms, blood spraying everywhere, while gesticulating wildly with both his arms - so she's put in a witches' colony together with other unruly women, all of whom are tied to big spindles by a longish ribbon. The girl, named Shula by the other 'witches', is taken to decide legal cases by an opportunistic local official and soon becomes something of a sensation, though she only remains in everyone's good graces as long as she performs how they want her to perform. There's an absurdist, satirical streak throughout the whole film, but it never treats Shula's predicament as a laughing matter. The film is inventive in its direction, striking in its cinematography and use of music, and Maggie Mulubwa, the nine-year-old who plays Shula, has an amazing intensity and immediacy that works perfectly for the part. Well worth catching, if you find it on some streaming service.

8hu3d15adbzy.jpg

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Jurassic Park has a good short lived chase scene;

Ian Malcolm: "Must go faster" and "Do you think they'll have that on the tour?"

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am watching the Man From UNCLE. It’s curiously boring, and everything has a weird flat sheen that smacks of cgi.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I am watching the Man From UNCLE. It’s curiously boring, and everything has a weird flat sheen that smacks of cgi.

Yeah, I really wanted to enjoy it but IIRC it was just...OK? The actors really carried the film - in the hands of lesser talent, it could've been a lot worse.

• Options

I was so excited form the trailers but everything I've heard is that it's mediocre, which is sad.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

and at least one notable sight gag: [OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR]

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    UNCLE is incredibly mediocre, they skip over part of the last action scene with lazy bongo beat transition montage. And I always laugh that Cavill was so superior to Hammer that the brit played the American and the American played the dirty commie.

It does have Elizabeth Debicki being incredibly tall and classy, which is the only real highlight of the movie.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Introduced my dad to Spaceballs. Somehow he'd never seen it.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

I seem to remember "Must go faster" coming up in Independence Day as well and always wondered if that was a purposeful Jurassic Park reference.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.