As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Ancient Enemy & GameDev Beatdown out today!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Geez they nailed the character models in these remakes.

Fidelity-wise, right? Because they look amazing yeah, except they completely changed her face to a different person's.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020

Mar 26 - One step from Eden

and uh

this came out as well

n0NxgRg.jpg
    i uh... can't speak to the quality of this

Brolo on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only phwoar

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Cosmo Commandos®

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Last Oasis entered early access

It looks like if you took ark survival evolved, but instead of riding dinosaurs you those Stranhd Beast art installations

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I' playing Ori and the Blind Forest, and overall I'm enjoying it a lot.

The level which screws with gravity is profoundly breaking my brain though

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    F1 2019 Anniversary Edition
    Loading...?

Just got my Humble Monthly. I know someone will want this way more than me.

• Options
    Exapunks
    Loading...?

And this game that I am too dumb for but is perfect for some of you.

• Options
    Battle Chasers: Nightwar
    Loading...?

And this I already own on PS4

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    header.jpg?t=1585004580
    Hellion is free to keep if you redeem them on Steam before next 30th of March.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/588210/HELLION/

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    FUCK I forgot to pause my Humble Monthly, goddammit I've only got like $40 in my bank account

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    FUCK I forgot to pause my Humble Monthly, goddammit I've only got like $40 in my bank account
    @Crippl3
    If you haven't revealed any of the keys yet I think that you can contact the HB support team and ask for a chargeback.

• Options
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    @Crippl3
    If you haven't revealed any of the keys yet I think that you can contact the HB support team and ask for a chargeback.

Well I wish I saw that before I claimed Exapunks and My Friend Pedro

• Options
    Here's something that should make some people very happy: https://www.taleworlds.com/en/News/322

Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlords is actually releasing earlier than expected. The Early Access launch is now March 30th! And it will be 10% off for the first two weeks, with an additional 10% off if you own another M&B game. It will have both a single-player campaign alongside the multiplayer content similar to the previous multiplayer beta.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So after a rough week I just wanted to kick back and mindlessly push buttons and not really have to think too hard.

I scrolled through my installed games and saw something I've just had sitting there for an age, unplayed - L4D2 (my friends all went the XB1 route rather than PC, so..).

Ravaging pathogen, wash your hands, hordes of moops to mow down without thinking too hard? Yeah, that seemed the ticket.

I rage quit and uninstalled 10 minutes later because it was so fucking finickity to get my Xbox controller to work. TODAY IS NOT THE DAY TO FUCKING TEST ME, VALVE.

So instead I started BattleTech and stayed up to 2am, at least half of which was just picking pretty colours and playing robot paintjob dress-up.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Disappointed to learn that The Room VR is not a VR gaming experience based on the Tommy Wiseau film.

3clipse wrote: »
    Started another playthrough of Mass Effect 3 last night. One of my best friends messaged me on Discord and was teasing me about it. Listen man I'm stressed, things are uncertain, I need the video game equivalent of comfort food right now.

Ah yes, a game where an unstoppable hostile force ravages entire worlds and threatens to end civilisation. That should take your mind off of things.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    More free Steam games? More free Steam games!

nbdybjied2rx.png

While scrolling down the page, I first read this as 'The Deer' and now I want to see a game designed around that title and font choice.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    More free Steam games? More free Steam games!

nbdybjied2rx.png

While scrolling down the page, I first read this as 'The Deer' and now I want to see a game designed around that title and font choice.
    This time ...
    You.
    Are.
    The.
    Prey.

• Options

https://www.ign.com/articles/doom-eternal-has-a-scrapped-pistol-weapon-heres-how-to-use-it
    Just need Cheat Engine to enable some stuff in the console, and then you can play with it yourself, no mods available but it's fully functional otherwise.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Now I'm reinstalling L4D2 apparently because I'm stubborn and don't like to lose.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Instead of taking the opportunity to proactively clear out my backlog, I've spent the last week noodling around in City of Heroes. I'm not even cranking through content, just constantly fiddling with costumes and joining random pickup teams. The servers are busy, sometimes positively clogged, and I've been meeting a lot of interesting people. For instance, last night I spent five hours playing with a voiceover actress from LA who (she says) did the safety announcements at Knott's Berry Farm and we bonded over our mutual crush on Bebe Neuwirth from Frasier. The night before that I met some kids who invited me to a private Discord and when I popped my head in someone went "wait are you THE Jacobkosh from Penny Arcade" and I was like uhhhhh
    Wait, a City of Heroes is playable? Are we talking about something any ol' Internet schlub (like me) can play, or is it a secretive invitation-only server that you only get invited to if you're a famous Internet celebrity, like a ProZD or a Jacobkosh?

Public fan servers have been a thing for over a year at this point. I'm not sure if it's against the rules to link anything of the sort, but it shouldn't be that hard to find.
    Got it, figured it was this but just wanted to double-check. Thanks!

@Delduwath actually linking it here is probably a bridge too far but you can absolutely find it with some simple googling. There are several different fan community servers but the biggest (and imo best) one is called Homecoming. Homecoming has an actual-ass dev team that are releasing actual-ass updates and patches to the game, including a 64-bit client (!), a cel-shaded graphics mode (!!), new costumes (!!!), powersets (!!!!), and lost or even brand-new content (!!!!!).

The game is better than it's ever been: fast, stable, easy to level, and packed with other players and, just as on the live servers, one of the most positive and least grody/chudlordy communities in gaming. It's super easy to find a team or get help at pretty much all hours, especially now.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Instead of taking the opportunity to proactively clear out my backlog, I've spent the last week noodling around in City of Heroes. I'm not even cranking through content, just constantly fiddling with costumes and joining random pickup teams. The servers are busy, sometimes positively clogged, and I've been meeting a lot of interesting people. For instance, last night I spent five hours playing with a voiceover actress from LA who (she says) did the safety announcements at Knott's Berry Farm and we bonded over our mutual crush on Bebe Neuwirth from Frasier. The night before that I met some kids who invited me to a private Discord and when I popped my head in someone went "wait are you THE Jacobkosh from Penny Arcade" and I was like uhhhhh
    Wait, a City of Heroes is playable? Are we talking about something any ol' Internet schlub (like me) can play, or is it a secretive invitation-only server that you only get invited to if you're a famous Internet celebrity, like a ProZD or a Jacobkosh?

Public fan servers have been a thing for over a year at this point. I'm not sure if it's against the rules to link anything of the sort, but it shouldn't be that hard to find.

@Delduwath actually linking it here is probably a bridge too far but you can absolutely find it with some simple googling. There are several different fan community servers but the biggest (and imo best) one is called Homecoming. Homecoming has an actual-ass dev team that are releasing actual-ass updates and patches to the game, including a 64-bit client (!), a cel-shaded graphics mode (!!), new costumes (!!!), powersets (!!!!), and lost or even brand-new content (!!!!!).

The game is better than it's ever been: fast, stable, easy to level, and packed with other players and, just as on the live servers, one of the most positive and least grody/chudlordy communities in gaming. It's super easy to find a team or get help at pretty much all hours, especially now.
    That is super-rad!

CoH was the first MMO I've ever played. For that reason, I didn't really know how to approach an MMO, what to expect from it, etc, so my primary character didn't even get near the level cap. He was a Tanker with Invulnerability + Super Strength, the concept being (OC do NOT steal) that he was a 19th century English gentleman who fell into the Thames, became frozen, and was thawed out in modern times; the prolonged stay in ice hardened his physique to super-human levels. Any similarity you may see to Captain America is entirely in your own mind, says more about your creativity than mine, and anyhow you can't prove anything.

I found the overall gameplay to be pretty tedious and slow, possibly because I wasn't playing correctly, and almost certainly because I was playing entirely solo. On the other hand, the night I reached level 14 and unlocked Super Jump at like 1:30am, and then spent another hour doing nothing but jumping up tall buildings and then leaping down, is - and I say this without exaggeration - one of my most lasting and memorable gaming experiences.

I played pretty early in the game's life-cycle, probably 2004-2005, so I never got to see any of the cool-seeming things that were added later on (City of Villains, bases, mission architect, never even earned a cape). Looking over the wiki, it looks like Super Jump was later lowered from level 14 to level 4? That's a good-ass move, everyone should get to experience the sweet movement powers as early as possible.

This is really making me want to check Homecoming out.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Speaking of CoH, my buddies and I are currently playing as a squad of GI Joes:

LO2V2eB.jpg?1
    C9MJCku.jpg?1

And I continue to run into a ton of great characters. The big disappointment for me with most other MMOs has been the degree to which they don't feel like vehicles for creativity the way CoH does:

iE5pa0M.jpg?1
    LHVa2L2.jpg?1

Also I just really love some of the writing in the game. The game doesn't have VO, it doesn't have much in the way of cutscenes; for the most part all it has to tell a story with are snippets of text. But some of the text is really fucking good, especially considering it was written in an MMO in 2003.

CSxEit9.jpg?1
    GdkDaSj.jpg?1

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Now I'm reinstalling L4D2 apparently because I'm stubborn and don't like to lose.

No, no - your mechs need you!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I thought it was the drones that needed you

they even look up to you

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Cannot believe you're deserting the metal to save some meat.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I've always disliked MMOs and especially hated that someone could enjoy something that I didn't.

So it was really awful to see all of you loving City of heroes, and rather than try it myself I instead let the hatred fester over the years until it became an ingrained part of my psyche. Thankfully I was finally rewarded when ncsoft shut down and your game was taken away so that nobody could enjoy it anymore. Privately I held a small party by myself and celebrated that the franchise was dead.

I must say that hearing that the game survived in some fashion brings back some of that nostalgic vitriol, and the potential to once again see a community die and beloved characters to be unceremoniously deleted makes me excited to be a piece of shit once more.

I'm happy to announce that I'm snitching on each and every last server for CoH that I can find, and continuing my search for a predatory profit-seeking lawyer who can sue on behalf of whatever company owns the licenses, or at least convince Disney that the continued existence of the game tangentially infringes on their many, many intellectual properties.

I hope this letter keeps you in ill spirits and may all of your downloads disconnect frequently,

Yours in short-minded pettiness,

Brolo G Haterbitch III Jr. Esq.

• Options

I also like Rebirth, it's a much much smaller server (usually between 20-40 players online) but it runs the version of the game that was on the test server when it shutdown, as opposed to Homecoming which has had years of updates, QoL changes, new archetypes and powers and such. It was real weird seeing things like locked costume pieces and the Paragon Rewards menu again, lol

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    I've always disliked MMOs and especially hated that someone could enjoy something that I didn't.

So it was really awful to see all of you loving City of heroes, and rather than try it myself I instead let the hatred fester over the years until it became an ingrained part of my psyche. Thankfully I was finally rewarded when ncsoft shut down and your game was taken away so that nobody could enjoy it anymore. Privately I held a small party by myself and celebrated that the franchise was dead.

I must say that hearing that the game survived in some fashion brings back some of that nostalgic vitriol, and the potential to once again see a community die and beloved characters to be unceremoniously deleted makes me excited to be a piece of shit once more.

I'm happy to announce that I'm snitching on each and every last server for CoH that I can find, and continuing my search for a predatory profit-seeking lawyer who can sue on behalf of whatever company owns the licenses, or at least convince Disney that the continued existence of the game tangentially infringes on their many, many intellectual properties.

I hope this letter keeps you in ill spirits and may all of your downloads disconnect frequently,

Yours in short-minded pettiness,

Brolo G Haterbitch III Jr. Esq.

jokes on you, certain players (and the Homecoming team) have been desperately trying to get NCSoft to notice them and talk to them for years

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I finished Ori and the Blind Forest
    I didn't want Kuro to die.
    Why did Kuro have to die :(

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP-BcogjnBI

People finally got hands-on with Gears Tactics. It's an XCOM-like, that emphasizes aggression with the execution system, you can chainsaw people with the Lancer or execute them when they're near death to give everyone else in your squad 1 extra action point, you can then chain this for huge turns. It has a linear Gears-like structure, not the large campaign metagame of a game like XCOM, but does have recruitable and customizable troops along with side missions to send them on.

Looks neat, I really like the execution stuff.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP-BcogjnBI

People finally got hands-on with Gears Tactics. It's an XCOM-like, that emphasizes aggression with the execution system, you can chainsaw people with the Lancer or execute them when they're near death to give everyone else in your squad 1 extra action point, you can then chain this for huge turns. It has a linear Gears-like structure, not the large campaign metagame of a game like XCOM, but does have recruitable and customizable troops along with side missions to send them on.

Looks neat, I really like the execution stuff.

Good to see another turn based tactics game that's doing it's own thing. I wish more franchises would do one - I really want a Doom tactics game.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I finished Ori and the Blind Forest
    I didn't want Kuro to die.
    Why did Kuro have to die :(

Well
    Kuro is such a unstoppable force that the only way she could die is sacrificing herself.

So she was a badass owl mom to the end.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »

Cannot believe you're deserting the metal to save some meat.

Deserting?! How dare you. I'm just playing in Real Time.

If Yang tells me it'll take 4 days to put the armour back on my mechs, then by Blake I'll be back again in four days.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I haven't been watching Spelunky streams much in the last few years, but I happened across this run from last month lately, and anyone who appreciates that game should watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrPzI1zPZhQ

Kinni managed to complete a Haunted Max Low No Gold Hell run

That is, he beats Hell, and also visits the Worm, Castle, and Mothership levels (haunted max) on the way

And he does all of this using only his starting 4 bombs and ropes

AND he does it collecting no gold

I believe it's the first and only time anyone has combined all of those catagories into a single run

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I miss City of Heroes, but in no way have enough time as an adult to dedicate myself to a game like that one. I still remember pulling all-nighters on that game to secure a souvenir story trophy item from the supervillain Requiem, before The Fifth Column was permanently changed to The Council so they could sell the game in Germany.

Good times.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I miss City of Heroes, but in no way have enough time as an adult to dedicate myself to a game like that one. I still remember pulling all-nighters on that game to secure a souvenir story trophy item from the supervillain Requiem, before The Fifth Column was permanently changed to The Council so they could sell the game in Germany.

Good times.

Everyone says that's why they changed it, but I never saw any devs saying it, and they even brought them back for small appearances in Issues 12 and 15, and then fully brought them back in 16. They got some of their old missions and bosses back, and would fight with Council in the streets.
    Hell, one of the big bads in the group that they added later is The Reichsman.
    Reichsman.jpg

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    One Step From Eden is so good, holy shit. Slay the Spire x Megaman Battle Network is the greatest concept ever and it delivers. My only complaint so far is that it feels like there's so much going on your build is always chaotic, but I'm sure that will improve as I learn the game.

Word of warning, though, the game is super hard. By halfway through it feels like you're already in MMBN bonus boss territory, and the intensity never stops going up

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Someone needs to put city of heroes character creator into an open world action rpg

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    TIL the castle has a black market exit. Would not have expected that.

I mean, it makes sense, but still.

This discussion has been closed.