As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Ancient Enemy & GameDev Beatdown out today!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    It's strange that a game that's entire strength is based around the quality of its writing insists on all of its mechanics be based around constantly repeating the same actions and encountering the same snippets of writing over and over again

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Its like if a BOOK became SICK

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    This is why you just Seek The Name

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    At least Seeking the Name is supposed to be shriekingly excrutiating

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    ngl I used the guaranteed success phone exploit as insurance a couple times

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So I played a little bit of World of Horror last night

It seems cool! It also crashed when I got killed, which... I'm pretty sure that wasn't intentional.

• Options
    When the renewed Mr. Eaten stuff came out I immediately demolished my characters stats to absolutely no benefit through not knowing what I was doing and when the magnitude of what happened sunk in I just started laughing, it was really pretty great rare fiction

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

It seems cool! It also crashed when I got killed, which... I'm pretty sure that wasn't intentional.

sounds right to me

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

The game is inspired by Junji Ito, so you can't entirely rule out the possibility that it was planned.

• Options
    To progress in this storyline I now need a rare success (probability not listed) on a randomly drawn card from a very large pool of cards. I get six chances to draw that card in an hour. It is hard to like this.

I looked it up!! A five percent chance!!! WHAT LARKS

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
  • Options
    To progress in this storyline I now need a rare success (probability not listed) on a randomly drawn card from a very large pool of cards. I get six chances to draw that card in an hour. It is hard to like this.

dis larks

hlat65ndlfa0.jpg

• Options
    I'LL EAT THAT BIRD

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Finished fallen order
    I'm still not okay with Cere, maybe I'd continue to work with her, but the trust would be damn slow to grow if it ever did.

Merrin is the best character in the game. I fuckin love her.

I really liked what they did with vader. All game you've been absolutely trouncing stormtroopers, purge troopers, even beating a Jedi on Dathomir and two inquisitors.
    And all of that means literally fucking nothing against Darth Vader. The codex had it right, the only way to win an encounter with him is to run away, and they showed that desperation quite well I think.

I fully agree with destroying the holocron. I'm very glad they went through with it.

Cal did grow on me. Still wish there were options of Male or Female non-customizable player characters. Oh well.

Fun game. Will be a while before I'm interested in replaying and not really interested in 100%ing it, but it was fun.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

dis larks
    hlat65ndlfa0.jpg

Dis larch!

ws02988zzlw7.png

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Played some Quantam league. The dynamic of either aggressively gunning for the clone that beat you or defending your pristine clone from salty round losers is peak FPS and it’s honestly fantastic

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Eh, just write with a cockney accent and you'll fit right in.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Tell me about Crypt of the Necrodancer? All I know about it thus far, after discovering its soundtrack, is that it fuckin slaps.

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    Tell me about Crypt of the Necrodancer? All I know about it thus far, after discovering its soundtrack, is that it fuckin slaps.

It's good.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Do you like rhythm games?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I lost all of my Steam achievements for The Binding of Isaac, is there anything I can do about this

The items are still unlocked ingame

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Huh that's weird. Steam support (lol) maybe? If launching the game didn't give them back they may stuck in some weird status in the database that they'll have to undo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just realized I can never play BoI again because it's listed as 777 hours.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    You already fucked up by going past 666

• Options
    It took me a while to get those last few things. :(
    The real fuckup was not being done at 420.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Do you like rhythm games?

I'm not sure if I've played any.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I thought I would like Necrodancer because I like rhythm games and roguelikes, but it turns out I can't do both at the same time.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Just finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I haven't had a game leave a strong impression like that in a very long time, the story is really worth experiencing.

Even the combat, which seemed bad and repetitive at the start, somehow felt fitting and great in those last few battles. The way you flit between enemies like lighting, accompanied by that music... awesome.

It's also very good at evoking that feeling where you slowly walk towards a group enemies knowing that you about to fuck them up. Shadow of Mordor was also pretty good about this, but Hellblade makes it feel more personal.

I also made sure to only play this at night and with headphones, both of which helped create the right atmosphere.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    Gotta figure their exclusivity deal is in jeopardy at this point

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I dunno, if they have the dollars...

• Options
    edited February 2020
    At what point do you stop paying money for the exclusive rights to cancel projects though

Maddoc on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    At what point do you stop paying money for the exclusive rights to cancel projects though

2f0.png

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

It's a good video game. As you said, it has a hell of a soundtrack, and that soundtrack is even better tied into the gameplay. It's a rogue-like/light rhythm game (both like and light because there's different modes, one where you always start from scratch at the beginning, the other where you go through zone by zone piecemeal with persistent upgrades, kind of like spelunky proper vs spelunky with shortcuts). For the gameplay, enemies only act and you can only move/take actions on the beat of the music; miss a beat and you've basically missed a turn. It's a lot of pattern recognition and on the fly puzzle solving, as enemies all behave in specific predictable ways so there's usually a "perfect" way to do things, but the challenge comes from acting out that solution in time to the music without losing the rhythm.

There is an easy mode in there that totally takes out the rhythm aspect and instead makes it turn based, meaning nothing moves until you do. Removes a lot of the franticness that makes the game challenging (and fun in my opinion), but it's there for folks that need it.

Cadence of Hyrule is also a lot of fun if you have a Switch. Easier than Necrodancer.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options

Cadence of Hyrule is also a lot of fun if you have a Switch. Easier than Necrodancer.

whoah hey what the

i was not great at necrodancer despite being the bomb at rhythm games but i got through pretty well

i could not get ANYWHERE in Cadence. That thing felt like the absolute hottest mess.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

whoah hey what the

i was not great at necrodancer despite being the bomb at rhythm games but i got through pretty well

i could not get ANYWHERE in Cadence. That thing felt like the absolute hottest mess.

The difficulty curve is steeper at the start with how the persistent upgrades work. You may die a few times near the start and then coast to the end without it ever being a concern again. In terms of managing the chaos of enemies, it generally tops out at about the difficulty of zones 2/3 of necrodancer.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This water stuff in Satisfactory is very buggy. Despite having it be fine for a while I will have pipes suddenly have massive drops in water pressure, stopping water flow to the coal plants and causing a black out. I can't figure out what it causing it. I should have more than enough water flow.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.