Options

in which we ffwd thru the talky bits of the [movie] thread

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    What sex and the city person am I?

(Hi, I’m Blake, I make conversations about me)

Blake T on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Blake T you are a throwaway one night stand who’s sexual quirks the episode revolves around, and are ultimately determined to be unhealthy for one of the main characters to be around.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    what ever happened to John Corbett anyway

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So who is the main character, Sex or the City?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I’ve seen about 2.5 episodes but I’m pretty confident it’s sex.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    So I must be the city, got it.

Difficult to get through and constantly under construction.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sex and the City & the City.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Sex and the City & the City.

You are such a Borlú

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Does Sex and the City 2 spend more time on fashion montages or serving as a propaganda piece for 1% tourism in Abu Dhabi?

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I havent seen the Sexes in the Cities but I have listened to two strange men watch them fifty two times each so I feel fairly expert

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I havent seen the Sexes in the Cities but I have listened to two strange men watch them fifty two times each so I feel fairly expert

You got some weird hobbies, man.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    what ever happened to John Corbett anyway

Oh, I know this one! He’s the dad in the To All the Boys movies

Which I think is the only thing I know him from, but he rules in those

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Took the 4 year old to see Sonic yesterday, and she LOVED it. The (very awesome) opening? “This is so cool!” The bar scene? “This is awesome!” The highway chase? “WOW!” The battle that went all over the place? “THIS. IS. SO. COOOOOOL!” And then the climactic standoff she cheered. Kid has never seen a Sonic anything before, and she ate that shit up.

As for the wife and I, we thought it was fun. There are like three sections where it’s blatantly obvious that they didn’t know what they were doing and just shoved a scene in, but whatever. It wouldn’t have been as enjoyable without Marsden and Carrey (who was in peak “Jim Carrey” mode). I just wish they had a slightly stronger script, but that’s ok. I really do hope they get to make a sequel. And wow, yeah, I hate that the artists had to crunch the edit of Sonic, but the results are SO worth it. He looks excellent.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Took the 4 year old to see Sonic yesterday, and she LOVED it. The (very awesome) opening? “This is so cool!” The bar scene? “This is awesome!” The highway chase? “WOW!” The battle that went all over the place? “THIS. IS. SO. COOOOOOL!” And then the climactic standoff she cheered. Kid has never seen a Sonic anything before, and she ate that shit up.

As for the wife and I, we thought it was fun. There are like three sections where it’s blatantly obvious that they didn’t know what they were doing and just shoved a scene in, but whatever. It wouldn’t have been as enjoyable without Marsden and Carrey (who was in peak “Jim Carrey” mode). I just wish they had a slightly stronger script, but that’s ok. I really do hope they get to make a sequel. And wow, yeah, I hate that the artists had to crunch the edit of Sonic, but the results are SO worth it. He looks excellent.

I did think it was a bit cold him saying he had never had a friend and had always been alone though, given what that one owl does for him.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Holy crap

Cathy Yan has been talking about BoP more on Twitter and
    the scene with Montoya in the restaurant where she examines the crime scene and it switches back and forth between flashback and the present was ONE TAKE

That is ridiculous

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Im torn between going to Bad Boys For Life or Birds of Prey tomorrow. Im leaning toward Bad Boys since it will leave theaters sooner.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Im torn between going to Bad Boys For Life or Birds of Prey tomorrow. Im leaning toward Bad Boys since it will leave theaters sooner.

Sounds like a double feature to me

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

you can't go wrong with either choice, tbh

naturally i suggest you see both

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Art of Self Defense goes some places.

Yikes.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    and they're all great

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

Sounds like a double feature to me

I was contemplating that.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    and they're all great

I adore Art of Self Defense so much.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

I did think it was a bit cold him saying he had never had a friend and had always been alone though, given what that one owl does for him.

The Owl was his mom more than his friend it seemed like.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I just saw Birds of Prey.

BoP is better than every MCU and DCU movie.

And, specifically, has way better fight scenes than literally every live-action superhero movie in recent memory.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

And, specifically, has way better fight scenes than literally every live-action superhero movie in recent memory.

A bar so low that they had to excavate to find it

It's like the inverse of fast forwarding through talking to hit action, MCU movies make me want to fast forward through all the action

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I know you can't make a Marvel's The Avengers movie without action or a plot...

But I think that would be my favourite Marvel's The Avengers movie? Like, just the characters hanging out?

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    The plot and characters I'm generally okay with, it's whenever they have to stop the interesting stuff to have a genre mandated fight against the CGI budget where I struggle to stay awake

(Winter Soldier has good action scenes)

• Options

Blade has awesome fight scenes and he does pro wrestling moves to vampires so thats where the bar is set. Does it beat Blade hitting a vertical suplex on a vampire?

• Options
    I don't think Blade counts as "recent" but it does have a scene where wesley snipes rips out a guy's throat and then throws it at another guy, so it is definitely still better than birds of prey as far as fight scenes go

• Options
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

Blade has awesome fight scenes and he does pro wrestling moves to vampires so thats where the bar is set. Does it beat Blade hitting a vertical suplex on a vampire?

Some things have to be kept out of the competition, otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    I do agree with the larger point of MCU fight scenes being lackluster outside of Winter Soldier and the first Avengers. They're great at giving you aeesome moments, but the fight scenes are too chaotic and have no real spatial definitions to be great fight scenes.

As much as I love Thor's dramatuc arrivals in Ragnorok and Infinity War the scenes around that are rougher.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I agree that BoP was the best, and that Winter Soldier was very good

But Thor Ragnarok's bridge shit, showing the fight in glorious van-art 2D, was fuckin' transcendant

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Thor Ragnarok is the best.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

But Thor Ragnarok's bridge shit, showing the fight in glorious van-art 2D, was fuckin' transcendant

The entire MCU was just an elaborate plot to make as many people as possible watch that fuckin' scene while Immigrant Song played.

It's the conclusion of a deal Robert Plant made with the devil in like 1976.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I do generally agree that most fight scenes in the MCU are not very good

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I thought the Thanos fight scenes on Titan in Infinity War and the Cap/Iron Man/Thor/Thanos fight in Endgame were very well choreographed and shot, personally.

Sure they were CGI-fests, but they were engaging and felt like they had real weight to them.

And the Mysterio illusion fights in Far From Home were really entertaining.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

thor ragnarok was actually fun and not just various shades of dirt and waititi knows how to actually use comedy to lighten the pathos

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I might agree that most fight scenes in the MCU are unremarkable but I don’t really see how using BoP as a way to critique MCU pushes the conversation into an interesting space. Haven’t we talked about the MCU enough? Shouldnt we give BoP it’s due? I thought the BoP fight scenes were kinda bad to be honest but there is enough good and interesting stuff to actually talk about.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I thought the Thanos fight scenes on Titan in Infinity War and the Cap/Iron Man/Thor/Thanos fight in Endgame were very well choreographed and shot, personally.

Sure they were CGI-fests, but they were engaging and felt like they had real weight to them.

And the Mysterio illusion fights in Far From Home were really entertaining.

the Titan fight rules, and that big final action sequence in Endgame has some really strong choreography, but I thought the cinematography made it really hard to follow

I'll never understand why they made so many scenes in these movies so dark

This discussion has been closed.