As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

in which we ffwd thru the talky bits of the [movie] thread

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So I’ve seen the Coen True Grit a few times, I like it but I’ve failed to see people who hail it as a great achievement

I just watched the original and now I get it cause boy the remake is just better in every single way

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Wait do you guys all have Canadian girlfriends

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Don't you?

Mine looks just like this stock photo of Scarlett Johansson. Weird, huh?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Don't you?

Oh wow, you work for Getty Images too?!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Don't you?

Why do you just have a picture of a tree in your wallet

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Don't you?

Oh wow, you work for Getty Images too?!

small world, my girlfriend also does

DnVJ3GHVsAAa-Cr.jpg

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hey anyone seen this Bloodshot movie? I think I might get drunk and watch Bloodshot. Based on the trailer it looks like Guy Pearce is reprising his role from Iron Man 3! Should be a good time!

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I’ve been watching a whole bunch of movies but haven’t really been posting about them here, so here’s my favourite movies I watched this month for the first time:

His Motorbike, Her Island
    The Discarnates
    The Deserted City
    Through a Glass Darkly
    Winter Light
    The Silence
    Hotel Monterey
    Portrait of Jason
    24 Frames Per Second
    Bridges-Go-Round
    M
    Right Now, Wrong Then
    Hardcore
    Light Sleeper
    Dark Waters
    Hong Kil-dong/The Avenger with a Flute

I watched a bunch of Shirley Clarke experimental shorts which I was really into. Few Bergman, couple Schrader, a really cool North Korean Wuxia flick, etc.

But now I’m on an Obayashi kick and it’s blowing my mind. All I ever knew of his was House, but his other stuff is great so far. His Motorbike, Her Island is one of the coolest movies I’ve ever seen. So much energy and style. I’ve got a bunch more of his movies to watch and I am very excited. Anybody watch his stuff?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Might I also recommend the sequel, Class of 1999. It has robot teachers.

Wow, you weren't joking, were you? @astrobstrd

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Hey anyone seen this Bloodshot movie? I think I might get drunk and watch Bloodshot. Based on the trailer it looks like Guy Pearce is reprising his role from Iron Man 3! Should be a good time!

Because Amazon is selling? Bloodshot and other movies digitally I am tempted to do it just the question of receiving the movie and another is what is stopping me

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    But now I’m on an Obayashi kick and it’s blowing my mind. All I ever knew of his was House, but his other stuff is great so far. His Motorbike, Her Island is one of the coolest movies I’ve ever seen. So much energy and style. I’ve got a bunch more of his movies to watch and I am very excited. Anybody watch his stuff?

I've seen some of his early stuff---some of his experimental shorts, which are pretty playful, then Hausu, The Visitor in the Eye, Take Me Away, School in the Crosshairs, and Exchange Students. Those last two are really solid, compelling fantasies of youth and environment. I've also seen Hanagatami, one of his latest, and it's handily my favourite of his stuff. The guy was given three months to live right when he went into production and not only finished it, but even made another film, Labyrinth of Cinema, which I'm really excited to see.

I'd like to see more of his stuff, and the one's you've checked out are ones I'm definitely going to get around to at some point. I think the Criterion Channel has Sada, and I'm pretty interested in seeing In the Realm of the Senses again after watching a whole bunch of Wakamatsu, so maybe I'll double feature those.

Tenzytile on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Shudder just uploaded the first 8 Friday the 13th films, so my day's set

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    The breakfast sandwich wins best actor.

In 1996, The MTV Movie Awards had a 'Best sandwich in a Movie' category, so fingers crossed for a return!

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Happy 100th birthday, Toshiro Mifune.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I posted about it earlier. It's bad and not in the good way.
    It's one of those action movies that also manages to be very boring.

Also, makes very clear that Vin Diesel definitely has a clause in his contract to never lose a fight on screen.

• Options
    Tenzytile wrote: »

I've seen some of his early stuff---some of his experimental shorts, which are pretty playful, then Hausu, The Visitor in the Eye, Take Me Away, School in the Crosshairs, and Exchange Students. Those last two are really solid, compelling fantasies of youth and environment. I've also seen Hanagatami, one of his latest, and it's handily my favourite of his stuff. The guy was given three months to live right when he went into production and not only finished it, but even made another film, Labyrinth of Cinema, which I'm really excited to see.

I'd like to see more of his stuff, and the one's you've checked out are ones I'm definitely going to get around to at some point. I think the Criterion Channel has Sada, and I'm pretty interested in seeing In the Realm of the Senses again after watching a whole bunch of Wakamatsu, so maybe I'll double feature those.

I haven’t seen Sada yet and it’s been years since I’ve seen In The Realm of the Senses so I was actually thinking of doubling those as well.

I think you’ll really dig His Motorbike, Her Island. It’s got a distinctly french new wave vibe, particularly some of the editing, but still looks and feels completely unique, even among his filmography (or what I’ve seen of it anyway). It reminds me a bit of Breathless, except instead of riffing on American gangsters, it’s playing with motorcycles, and it also doesn’t hate women. There’s just so much energy in his work.

I haven’t seen the ones you mentioned except Hausu. I have Exchange Students and Take Me Away so I’ll check those out. I haven’t been able to find his early experimental stuff at all and I’d love to see what that’s like. Same with Hanagatami. It looks so gooood but I haven’t found it yet.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    PSA: Portrait of a Lady on Fire is on Hulu for all of your date night movie needs during quarantine.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Happy 100th birthday, Toshiro Mifune.

aw you got my hopes up he was still around :(

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Wait do you guys all have Canadian girlfriends

Yeah I do

sig.gif
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I watched “In the Realm of the Senses” at around age 13 because I wondered why my dad had a hidden VHS tape. Boy, was I in for a number of surprises.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Loved Underwater so much I’m in the mood for more sea horror. Then I remembered the 1999 film Virus, which is the closest thing to quake 2 on film, it’s so bad but so good.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I'm assuming you've already done Leviathan and Deep Star Six?

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    deepest
    bluest
    my hat is like a shark fin

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    And don't forget Deep Rising!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    deepest
    bluest

no one ever helped me figure out which part of the hat is like a shark's fin

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    And don't forget Deep Rising!

I friggen love deep rising, but I also love forgetting it exists and then remembering and being all “fuck yes deep rising I forgot about you”

• Options
    deepest
    bluest

the hat is like a shark's fin in that both are miracles of evolution that can make a very tasty soup

• Options
    Train To Busan Presents: Peninsula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVucSRLLeIM

Four years after South Korea’s total decimation in Train to Busan, Jung-seok, a soldier who previously escaped the diseased wasteland, relives the horror when assigned to a covert operation with two simple objectives: retrieve and survive. When his team unexpectedly stumbles upon survivors, their lives will depend on whether the best—or worst—of human nature prevails in the direst of circumstances

Starring Gang Dong-won
    Cast also includes Lee Jung-hyun (pop singer Ava), Lee Re (Your Name) and Kwon Hae-hyo

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey!

Brick is only $5 to buy digital on Amazon!

Yes please!

• Options
    That looks like a very different beast than Train to Busan, but I’m into it. Having just seen Escape From New York again recently, I’m getting some of those vibes.

We’re going to get a bunch of zombie metaphor movies out of this pandemic aren’t we?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Lord knows we could always use more zombie movies!

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    deepest
    bluest

Metaphorically, seeing it is a sign of approaching danger?

• Options
    The part of the hat that is like a shark’s fin is the hand resting on top of the hat in a shark’s fin like fashion.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That looks like a very different beast than Train to Busan, but I’m into it. Having just seen Escape From New York again recently, I’m getting some of those vibes.

We’re going to get a bunch of zombie metaphor movies out of this pandemic aren’t we?

It's reminding me a ton of Doomsday, personally

Which I'm okay with, but

• Options
    Brick is so god damned good. I hadn’t watched in awhile.

• Options

EW wrote:
    The Prime Video presents the SXSW 2020 Film Festival Collection will offer filmmakers from the 2020 SXSW Film Festival an invitation to show their work during the digital festival that will play for 10 days exclusively on Prime Video. The one-time event is scheduled to stream for free to anyone who has an Amazon account, regardless of their Prime membership status. Filmmakers who choose to participate will still receive a screening fee for their contributions.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    People are calling Peninsula the "Aliens" sequel to Train to Busan's "Alien".

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

When you dig down a bit, zombies are about general social collapse, the failure state of empires/civilization, which can happen because of (or along with) disease or for other reasons; and the struggle to survive and protect those important to you under those anarchic conditions.
    So... yes.

• Options
    Starting tomorrow, HBO GO and HBO NOW will have free films for all to watch without needing a subscription, due to the coronavirus situation

Arthur
    Arthur 2: On the Rocks
    Blinded by the Light
    The Bridges of Madison County
    Crazy, Stupid, Love
    Detective Pikachu
    Empire of the Sun
    Forget Paris
    Happy Feet Two
    Isn't It Romantic?
    The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
    Midnight Special