As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hiding a fatal disease, is it wrong?

FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
This was inspired by a recent H&A thread. It's also something I thought about recently, for no particular reason. I didn't put this in H&A because this is not a real situation, I am not about to die from some disease or illness.

Let's say the doctor tells me I have something that will most likely kill me within the next few years. A cancer, or anything fatal that may not necessarily be physically visible to people around me. I live a few hours away from my family and see them maybe 3 or 4 times a year. This means it would be somewhat easy to hide something big from them.

So now what if I decide not to tell anyone around me? I wish to live my life normally as if nothing was wrong, and try to hide this from friends and family for as long as possible (until I become visibly ill and stuck in an hospital bed). I don't want people to pity me, to feel sad about my somewhat imminent passing.

Would that be selfish of me? Do I owe my mother to tell her that her own son is dying? Or should I stick to my personal wishes? I know most people tell their family when there is something very bad going on with them, but I'm wondering if other people considered the secrecy alternative for such scenarios.

PSN: PatParadize
Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
Steam Friend code: 45386507
Fireflash on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Some people decide they don't want others to care about them, it is kind of sad, really. I wish they would have met people who can honestly care about someone without becoming annoying. But hey, if they think telling their mother that they're going to die soon will only lead to unneeded annoyances, I can understand them.
    God, you want to live those last months/years happily and normally, you don't want to be treated like you're made of glass.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can see maybe wanting to keep it a secret until you know for sure, but beyond that, yeah, it's pretty fucking selfish to not tell the people who care most about you that they've got a very limited amount of time left to enjoy being around you.

edit: Also, if I ever get something that's going to kill me, I'll be telling fucking everyone, and getting as much pity and free shit as I can. I'll go out like a goddamn king.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh, right. People can care about you and miss you as well. I always forget that. >_<

Yeah, it would be a nice thing to tell those around how long they can enjoy your presence.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    I suppose there are different reasons, some of them better than others. One could argue that by not telling someone you're going to die, the time you have left will be happier and better overall, as opposed to filled with the person obsessing over your death all the time. I don't think it would be a good idea, but it would be less selfishly motivated than, say, "I don't feel like dealing with a bunch of people getting all mopey, so fuck it, they can just read the obit."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I suppose there are different reasons, some of them better than others. One could argue that by not telling someone you're going to die, the time you have left will be happier and better overall, as opposed to filled with the person obsessing over your death all the time. I don't think it would be a good idea, but it would be less selfishly motivated than, say, "I don't feel like dealing with a bunch of people getting all mopey, so fuck it, they can just read the obit."

This is true, but I think so many people (certainly including myself) take it as a given that their loved ones (especially husbands/wives, siblings, and children) will be around for a long time, and as such don't make a huge effort to spend lots of quality time together...because it just doesn't seem that urgent. We put things off, thinking "Yeah, well, maybe I'll call my brother next week", without really thinking that it's entirely possible that you'll never see them again.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not a big fan of hiding important elements of my life to people who I see on a daily basis. I find that people who hide from others are actually hiding from themselves - ie, if I knew somebody who was dying and didn't tell anybody, I'd suspect that they themselves did not fully accept their mortality.

That said, there are devils in them thar details. It depends a lot on what their family is like. Some families just can't handle anything out of the ordinary in a mature fashion. I'd argue that this is a result of a lifetime (or multiple lifetimes) of sweeping major events under the rug, and that it would be better to break that habit, but having cancer and less than six months to live isn't necessarily the best time to try to break your family out of old unhealthy habits.

I also think the person in the H/A thread would be better off if she just told everybody what was happening, but that's outside the scope of that thread so I didn't post in it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Porphyria PlanPorphyria Plan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd most likely only tell my wife. My impending death would be a very personal (duh). It's mine to deal with and my immediate family only. I tend to rate most relationship obligations very low on things I need to account for. So If I am put in a situation that I need to tell someone something just because they are my brother/sister/mother/father/family member I'm not going to on that alone.

My mother always knew I'd get married and not say a word, and I didn't. Not until I had to bring my wife around. I've just always been that way regardless of the fact that people never understand it. It's not with malice.

I can see maybe wanting to keep it a secret until you know for sure, but beyond that, yeah, it's pretty fucking selfish to not tell the people who care most about you that they've got a very limited amount of time left to enjoy being around you.

edit: Also, if I ever get something that's going to kill me, I'll be telling fucking everyone, and getting as much pity and free shit as I can. I'll go out like a goddamn king.

You must be joking. Your edit completely contradicts what you wrote in the first paragraph. You think it's fucking selfish that someone wants to keep something to themselves so you plan to tell eveyone so you can to milk everything out of it.

I love italics

Porphyria Plan on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'd most likely only tell my wife. My impending death would be a very personal (duh). It's mine to deal with and my immediate family only. I tend to rate most relationship obligations very low on things I need to account for. So If I am put in a situation that I need to tell someone something just because they are my brother/sister/mother/father/family member I'm not going to on that alone.

My mother always knew I'd get married and not say a word, and I didn't. Not until I had to bring my wife around. I've just always been that way regardless of the fact that people never understand it. It's not with malice.

You must be joking. Your edit completely contradicts what you wrote in the first paragraph. You think it's fucking selfish that someone wants to keep something to themselves so you plan to tell eveyone so you can to milk everything out of it.

I love italics

I'm just saying if I were dying, I think I'd feel better about it if people were lavishing me with attention and helping me out and stuff. That doesn't change my position that I think it's fucked up not to tell people, I'm just saying that further beyond that, I wouldn't mind the side-effects that inevitably come with "Hey everyone, I'm dying".

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is kind of a real issue for me. I have a degenerative illness (PKD, you can read about it on wikipedia if you like) and while it doesn't affect me at all right now, I anticipate years of declining health and then... well, there are various options. Dialysis I'm not keen on, and it won't make you last forever. Kidney transplants are getting better all the time but it's still entirely possible to die on the table or for complications to follow...

...anyway, point is, just like everyone else, I'm going to die someday, but unlike many others, I've got some idea of what the probable cause will be.

Of course my family and close friends know. But there's a bit of a question around less-close friends, new friends, acquaintances, potential love interests, &c &c. How soon do I tell people? If it's the first thing I say after "G'day", it feels like I'm trying to milk it, but if I never mention it at all then it seems somehow dishonest or... the longer I go without telling someone the more difficult it becomes to mention it later. I tend to go for a haphazard approach... if I get into an area of conversation with someone where it seems relevant, I'll probably blurt it out, maybe 50% of the time. It's always a little difficult but nobody's ever reacted badly.

Probably the toughest category to deal with is potential-love-interest. Right now I'm so time-poor that the idea of a girlfriend seems like a faraway, impossible dream, but no dissertation takes forever. And... well, in a way I think the dichotomy above gets even worse in this case. Say it too soon and you probably come across as angling for pity sex. Say it too late and your wife might think that you could have mentioned your heritable degenerative illness before the baby was conceived. Uh, so to speak. I'm sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere, but actually working it out in reality may be a little complicated.

Anyway, not asking for H/A, or pity for that matter, but I thought I'd share my perspective. :P The amount of hiding I do isn't wrong, but really, if someone else was to do more hiding, or less, I wouldn't be one to judge them. :)

itylus on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It depends entirely on how much time you have left. If your death is near, I would say 6 months or less, then yes, you need to inform your immedeate family, and close friends so they can arrange visits, say goodbye, begin the grieving process, and just generally prepare for your passing. It's your life, true, but these people will remain after you have gone, and you would be doing them a grave disservice by not giving them the opportunity to make peace with your illness and impending death until you were on your death bed. Why would you make things harder on the people who love you when soon your worries will be over with?

If your illness is expected to last a year or longer, you have an obligation merely to inform your loved ones that you are ill, and that it is serious. You don't need to share your prognosis with them until you are further along in your illness, it would be cruel to leave them without hope when you have a couple years left in you - that is too early for them to begin the grieving process, protracted illnesses with no chance for recovery can be more stressful for friends and family than even sudden unexpected death.

This isn't to say that dealing with busybody relatives isn't hard, and that these added difficulties are coming at a bad time. It is, and they are. This is a situation that requires honesty, firmness, and courage. The dying person will have to set boundaries if certain loved ones become a source of stress instead of a source of comfort, enlist the aid of caregivers and non-annoying loved ones in setting these boundaries for you. Very few people can say that they are the only reasonable person in a family full of histronic, micro-managing people, but if you were to find yourself in that situation, I can see why you would want to hide an illness.

This is your final test of character. It's not the time to fail, or worse, not even try to get it right.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I personally believe it depends on how it will affect the individuals life when they tell those around them. If their loved ones would react in a way that would decrease the individuals enjoyment of their remaining time left, I don't think they should tell them. You may be doing them a disservice, but they will have time to grieve and move on with their lives after your gone, you won't, thats it, so you should do whatever you can to enjoy your life to the fullest with what time you have left.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I agree with you that it would sort of suck to interact with your family when they all know you're going to die. I don't want anyone's pity and the atmosphere would be depressing. But that's exactly why it's selfish to not tell anyone - you're only thinking about what you're comfortable with and not about how your family feels about it. How would you like it if your mom had a fatal disease and didn't tell you until her final week? Your relatives would want the opportunity to see you while you're healthy and also time to ease the blow. I think you could certainly tell them not to mourn you in your presence if their behavior was bothering you but they should still know about it. I don't know what I would do in that situation.

Zek on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    This question is far too broad for a clean answer. There's simply too many factors to consider. What is your relationship with family and friends? How would they react to this? What's the terms of the disease? I'm sure there are certain scenarios where it might not be "wrong" to hide a fatal condition.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm of the opinion that my health is nobody's business but my own. I also believe that I have no obligation to my family with regards to keeping them updated on everything that goes on in my life.

With regards to fatal diseases, I don't think it's immoral to not tell your family about it (this is assuming you're in my situation; living on your own with no one dependent on you). Though this is mostly based on my experience, given I had a relative in the same position. He had cancer and didn't tell anyone, and his death caught everyone off guard. But, given my family's history, I think he made the right choice in not telling anyone. If he had, my family would have probably fixated on his mortality, rather than spending as much time as they could with him as they could and appriciating every moment of it.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »
    This is your final test of character. It's not the time to fail, or worse, not even try to get it right.

You're facing one of the hardest thing that any human being ever faces when you're dying. I'd imagine that you're a mess inside in many ways, and just want to hold on to normality for a few days more - to live as you have always lived - not to leave dramatically, with sadness and bitterness, but to slip away one day, as if you'd just left the room. Have your last days on earth be a testament to the person you were. I don't think that's a morally reprehensible desire. Who knows, it may even be easier on those whom you leave behind. I think it depends a lot on the situation.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Zsetrek wrote: »
    You're facing one of the hardest thing that any human being ever faces when you're dying. I'd imagine that you're a mess inside in many ways, and just want to hold on to normality for a few days more - to live as you have always lived - not to leave dramatically, with sadness and bitterness, but to slip away one day, as if you'd just left the room. Have your last days on earth be a testament to the person you were. I don't think that's a morally reprehensible desire. Who knows, it may even be easier on those whom you leave behind. I think it depends a lot on the situation.
    You can't just "slip away out of life" if there's people around you who give a damn about you.

Aldo on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would rather someone die withou telling me why than feel awkward around them.

Or have them use it against me.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

This is assuming you see each other often. I like my grandmother a lot, but I don't see her very often, if she'd have only a few months to live, I'd like to know that, so I could spend some more time with her, I think that would make both of us happy.

But yeah, it differs per situation. Some people I see a lot and I don't expect that to change, it would probably be better if we can be around each other without feeling awkward.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    You can't just "slip away out of life" if there's people around you who give a damn about you.

I'm just saying - maybe when you're dealing with imminent oblivion your perspectives are, understandably, a bit skewed. I don't think I could fault someone for being selfish, or afraid, or just tired on their last few days on earth.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Don't worry about it, you're the sort of friend who disappears when things get hard anyway. My dad had lots of those.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I'm just saying - maybe when you're dealing with imminent oblivion your perspectives are, understandably, a bit skewed. I don't think I could fault someone for being selfish, or afraid, or just tired on their last few days on earth.

This isn't "the last few days" though. This is several months to a year or two. I'm sorry, but that's enough warning that you have an obligation to give people a chance to see you and make their peace with you while you're still in good health. If you're slapped with a 3-4 week prognosis, such as with metastatic lung cancer or something, then yeah, you need that last brief time to prepare yourself for death, not hold the hand of every single person who is going to miss you and make them all OK with everything. But with that much time on your hands, you have enough time to prepare yourself and help prepare everyone else. Shirking that second bit so you can take an extra trip (there will be time for trips, my dad took 3 and he only had 6 months) or watch the entire Naruto series 6 times instead of 2, then you're a fucking douche.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Tom_maliceTom_malice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't think theres anything wrong with not telling anyone your dying. It only makes people change their behavior around you, for good or bad. And people shouldn't act differently towards you just because your dying. I don't think you can really prepare people for your death, because once you die, they're still gonna be sad and all that. The only difference is that they'll have known in advanced, and changed their behavior towards you.

Tom_malice on
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Personally, I admire some of the sentiments in this thread. The two sides seem to be letting people know the prognosis so that the last few months spent together, people know it's the last few months. The other option is let life continue on as normal as it has been.

Like everyone's suggested, it's very dependant on the exact situation. Time before you die, your family's general ways of reacting to bad news, your life up until that point. I couldn't suggest someone that had a crummy life with nobody generally caring about them, to just not tell anyone, unless they didn't mind the no fuss attitude they've received.

Personally, I'd opt for the not letting people know, unless something serious like some sort of relationship were to come about. Who knows when that sort of thing may happen, and 1 year before you're to be in the grave, something happens, and this person you're with means the world to you. I'd probably have to tell her, if that were to happen. I wouldn't want to ruin a year of her life, unless she wanted to spend it with me.

The only other thing I had to say was, I am kinda mad at the idea of someone saying, they'd like to know if their grandmother only had a few more months to live, so they could spend more time with her. Hey, jackass, spend some time with your grandmother. She's not gonna be there forever, try and visit her every week. She could go tomorrow, and you'd feel guilty for not heeding your own words. You just have to wonder, would she be thinking, I wish I saw my grandson more...

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »

This isn't "the last few days" though. This is several months to a year or two. I'm sorry, but that's enough warning that you have an obligation to give people a chance to see you and make their peace with you while you're still in good health. If you're slapped with a 3-4 week prognosis, such as with metastatic lung cancer or something, then yeah, you need that last brief time to prepare yourself for death, not hold the hand of every single person who is going to miss you and make them all OK with everything. But with that much time on your hands, you have enough time to prepare yourself and help prepare everyone else. Shirking that second bit so you can take an extra trip (there will be time for trips, my dad took 3 and he only had 6 months) or watch the entire Naruto series 6 times instead of 2, then you're a fucking douche.

I very much doubt someone could hide a fatal disease for 2 years, but if they could, I think it's entirely within their rights to do so. It may not be the absolute best situation - but it's their health, and ultimately, their prerogative.

I'm also not sure that telling people produces a significantly different result in the long run. They may come to terms with your imminent death, but that doesn't obviate the grieving period after you croak it - and it certainly doesn't make the intervening period any easier.

I don't know. I think there's something to be said for not saying "Jimmy, I'm dying", and instead saying "Jimmy, grab the frisbee! Let's go play in the park!"

And "not telling people" isn't the same as "living in seclusion" - you can still say your goodbyes, but they'll just be rather one-sided.

I really do think it depends on the situation. Sometimes the former is more selfish, sometimes the latter.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    öhsee wrote: »
    The only other thing I had to say was, I am kinda mad at the idea of someone saying, they'd like to know if their grandmother only had a few more months to live, so they could spend more time with her. Hey, jackass, spend some time with your grandmother. She's not gonna be there forever, try and visit her every week. She could go tomorrow, and you'd feel guilty for not heeding your own words. You just have to wonder, would she be thinking, I wish I saw my grandson more...

I'm not even going to reply to you. You don't know me, my grandmother or my family. Stop calling me a jackass.

Aldo on