As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Holy Balls: Crysis on the Wii?!

davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
EDIT: This has since been confirmed as being NOT TRUE.
"Mark wrote:
Relax everybody--gotta fix a couple typos (Crysis for PC, not Wii--but hey, it rhymes!)--will be back up in a few hours, we'll let you know as soon as it's ready. Thanks for being so patient and cool about this! (see what I did there?)

davidbarry.jpg
davidbarry on

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nintendo is doomed.

What's crysis, by the way?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If it isn't too gimped then I'll probably pick this up, as my PC has absolutely no chance of playing Crysis. Awesome news either way.

GimeC on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What did they do, remake the maps using an old UT level editor? Hell, they had said that they wouldn't even port it to the 360 or PS3 because they weren't powerful enough to run the engine they were making.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If they could get the Wii to display the graphics like a top-end PC can for Crysis, then Nintendo has a lot to explain for making Metroid Prime 3 and other such games look so shitty (as compared to some games coming out nowadays)

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Crysis is the new "killer game" for the PC that uses all the newest DirectX stuff. Game looks effing gorgeous on the PC. This is good news.

PkErthbnd on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Nintendo is doomed.

Please god tell me you are kidding.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Neliwood wrote: »
    If they could get the Wii to display the graphics like a top-end PC can for Crysis, then Nintendo has a lot to explain for making Metroid Prime 3 and other such games look so shitty (as compared to some games coming out nowadays)

They'll obviously downgrade the graphics. They probably saw that Wiis are selling and lots of consoles around means money opportunities, and thus felt it was worth the effort to adapt the game to the Wii.

GimeC on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    looks terrible

Ranced on
  • Options
    Mister ServoMister Servo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It'll look like any other PC to Console port, hopefully good, but no where near as great as it's original.

Mister Servo on
    Mister+Servo.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I don't follow FPS games generally, what's so strange about that?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Nintendo is doomed.

Crysis is a game being made by the creators of Far Cry. Its native platform is the PC, and its claim to fame is its absolutely gorgeous graphics (Which made it a very unlikely candidate for a Wii Port). I'd check out previews on Gamespot or videos on Gametrailers to find out more.

Edit: I recommend downloading a 720p trailer for the PC version of the game. Even though it's still in-the-works, it looks amazing. As far as what seperates it from other FPS's in terms of gameplay, I don't think we know enough about it to say at this point.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To quote Leela from some episode of Futurama:

"This is, by a wide margin, the least likely thing that has ever happened."

Is this actually confirmed, though? I mean, the picture looks really, but this seems incredibly unlikely.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks everyone who explained it to me.

Also "it's" is a contraction like it is, "its" is the possessive form. Common mistake.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    What did they do, remake the maps using an old UT level editor? Hell, they had said that they wouldn't even port it to the 360 or PS3 because they weren't powerful enough to run the engine they were making.

Crysis will be coming in some form to 360/PS3. It just won't be exactly the same as the PC version
    it'll be a better version :(

Rook on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    davidbarry wrote: »
    Nintendo is doomed.

Crysis is a game being made by the creators of Far Cry. It's native platform is the PC, and it's claim to fame is it's absolutely gorgeous graphics (Which made it a very unlikely candidate for a Wii Port). I'd check out previews on Gamespot or videos on Gametrailers to find out more.

You also forget about the part where you can punch people through walls.

PUNCH PEOPLE THROUGH MOTHER-FUCKING WALLS.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GimeC wrote: »
    Neliwood wrote: »

They'll obviously downgrade the graphics. They probably saw that Wiis are selling and lots of consoles around means money opportunities, and thus felt it was worth the effort to adapt the game to the Wii.
    They may ALSO have realized the following:

1) There is not one engine in existence built to maximize what the Wii can actually do.
    2) The Wii is selling like all hell.
    3) Devs are going to want to be able to cheaply liscense an engine that gets all the possible benefit out of the Wii hardware

1 + 2 + 3 = whoever makes the defining Wii game engine stands to make a fucking mint in liscensing fees. 'It prints money' and all that. What is Crytek apparently very, very good at? Making game engines.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    To show how unlikely this is, read this:
    Some news slipped out during the Leipzig convention in Germany that Crytek senior game designer Bernd Diemer said their upcoming first-person shooter Crysis was too über for the next-generation consoles -- the 360 and PlayStation 3 specifically. The heart of the matter related directly to DirectX 10 and it being the only way to truly unleash the beast behind this beautiful game.

Diemer was quoted as saying that "next generation consoles like the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 do not offer the sufficient power" needed for some high-quality Crysis action. This news comes counter to the recent news that the Crytek team was looking for some PS3 worker bees for a possible Crysis port to the system. We may not see Crysis on the PS3, but it's still entirely possible we may see Crysis-like games in the future on Sony's console.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Given how godawful the Wii version of Farcry is, I'd be very surprised if this somehow ranks above "fucking terrible".

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    To show how unlikely this is, read this:
    Some news slipped out during the Leipzig convention in Germany that Crytek senior game designer Bernd Diemer said their upcoming first-person shooter Crysis was too über for the next-generation consoles -- the 360 and PlayStation 3 specifically. The heart of the matter related directly to DirectX 10 and it being the only way to truly unleash the beast behind this beautiful game.

Diemer was quoted as saying that "next generation consoles like the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 do not offer the sufficient power" needed for some high-quality Crysis action. This news comes counter to the recent news that the Crytek team was looking for some PS3 worker bees for a possible Crysis port to the system. We may not see Crysis on the PS3, but it's still entirely possible we may see Crysis-like games in the future on Sony's console.

While there is a possibility that this Crysis Wii news is fake, I have a feeling that it's not.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    halo3fh0.jpg

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Your argument is flawless.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No 1upers went on Neogaf and said that the Wii is a typo one reason why the show was taken down.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Given how godawful the Wii version of Farcry is, I'd be very surprised if this somehow ranks above "fucking terrible".

The thought occurred to me also.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Actually, I played Far Cry on the original Xbox well after the Wii Far Cry came out.

It looked just as shitty.

If Ubi makes a new version of Crysis (gah, hate that name) from scratch rather than rapidly porting over unreleased PS2 stuff (as was done for Far Cry Wii), it'll probably look pretty decent.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

It was pretty obvious that Far Cry on the Wii was a shitty and rushed game. And btw Farcry= Ubisoft, Crysis= Crytek. One game's quality means nothing towards the quality of the other game.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    Why get excited about this? The only reason people are excited for Crysis (so far) is because it looks fucking amazing, and the Wii version won't look anywhere near as good

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Why get excited about this? The only reason people are excited for Crysis (so far) is because it looks fucking amazing, and the Wii version won't look anywhere near as good

The physics are also exciting. ANyway, I am going to assume it is a mistake.

Couscous on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    On that note, Gametrailers has some new trailers up for Crysis illustrating difference between DX9 and DX10. Although these could just as easily be marketing spin (as in they ran one on an Ãœber PC and another on a 386 running a virus scan), you can have a look here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2509

At first I thought they were mixed up when I saw the DX9 segment, because it still looks freaking incredible, graphically. Then they showed the DX10 segment. There seems to be a heavy improvement in lighting / shading and particle effects (although they clearly did more to emphasise the DX10 segments in those two trailers, it probably would have been better to repeat the same scene twice). By no means world ending if you don't have a DX10 card (it still looks awesome, and I doubt you would feel as if you were missing anything on a DX9 card), but you can definitely see the difference.

Oh, and the hype around Crysis isn't just about the graphics. If you've played and enjoyed Far Cry, then the prospect of an upgraded version of that with a more interactive environment + the nice nano-suite augs they've given the player is pretty potent stuff.

subedii on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Actually, I played Far Cry on the original Xbox well after the Wii Far Cry came out.

If Ubi makes a new version of Crysis (gah, hate that name) from scratch rather than rapidly porting over unreleased PS2 stuff (as was done for Far Cry Wii), it'll probably look pretty decent.

Ubi has nothing to do with Crysis.

Here's how it goes: Crytek makes Farcry PC, Ubi publishes it. Ubi keeps Farcry liscence and make the console games on their own. Crytek makes a new engine for Crysis, is not associated with Ubi.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I agree. The big thing about Crysis is the graphics... and as much of a Nintendo fanboy I am; The Wii cannot reproduce those graphics in its lifetime.

urahonky on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Ubi has nothing to do with Crysis.

Here's how it goes: Crytek makes Farcry PC, Ubi publishes it. Ubi keeps Farcry liscence and make the console games on their own. Crytek makes a new engine for Crysis, is not associated with Ubi.

True. Well, whichever.

Part of the reason I was struck by how shit Far Cry Xbox looked is because I played it immediately after playing Half-Life 2 Xbox, which looked fucking amazing on that system.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Xbox Far Cry doesn't look too hot by todays standards, but the Wii version was definitely uglier.

Don't know what Ubisoft did there.

Ranced on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ranced wrote: »
    Xbox Far Cry doesn't look too hot by todays standards, but the Wii version was definitely uglier.

Don't know what Ubisoft did there.

Ported the aborted PS2 version.

For real reals.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Updated the OP. Turns out that it was a simple typo. Sorry about the mix-up.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    what a terrible shot of crysis then

Ranced on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    This thread has no potential but the potential for evil.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
This discussion has been closed.