As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monster Hunter [Chat]

21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short![They/Them]Registered User regular
dirp68fbl0qo.png

Hello Hunters, and welcome to the New World!

Here you will hunt monsters such as
monster_hunter_world_Anjanath.jpg
Wooly T-Rex

and

433144997.jpg
Googly Eyed Chameleon Bird

Make sure to grab as many healing herbs and honey as you can in the field to have super potions and, above all, have fun expending your insatiable bloodlust on fictional megafauna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOJS7NSHNoA

Basically, I'm playing Monster Hunter World again. Drop me a line if you play on PS4. I'm about to get started on the Iceborne content soon.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I just discovered I can remote play my PS4 from my iPad. I had no idea.

Going to try and actually play some red dead while
    I’m traveling.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »

I’m traveling.

Traveling to toilet town?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Ah, the good ol’ .50 cal Zweihander

• Options

I’m traveling.

Coincidentally, someone I met a couple of weeks ago called San Francisco a toilet.

He lives in Columbus and prefers Vegas to SF and comes off as a serial killer so take his opinion as you will.

• Options
    After watching the movie and the first season, I’m worried that I’m constitutionally incapable of liking The Clone Wars. This is likely due to the fact that I hate the Prequels . . . so much . . flames . . . on the sides of my face

• Options

I’m traveling.

Coincidentally, someone I met a couple of weeks ago called San Francisco a toilet.

He lives in Columbus and prefers Vegas to SF and comes off as a serial killer so take his opinion as you will.

Anyone who prefers Vegas to anything is someone I’d stay far away from

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    at any rate, Six, I'm pretty sure you need to be on the same wifi as your PS4 to remote play.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    at any rate, Six, I'm pretty sure you need to be on the same wifi as your PS4 to remote play.

Oh really? Well that’s stupid

I don’t think this is true. We will see how well play over the Internet works.

Six on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    @21stCentury
    IDK if i want to trust 1 company with all my passwords to be honest.

This is reasonable, though I should note most password vaults store your passwords in such a way that the company doesn't know the keys.

That said, if this is a concern you can go the route I did. It's more manual and until I got a phone with a biometric lock it was a pain in the ass on mobile, but I've been using this system for almost 10 years now and haven't had any issues.

My program of choice is called KeePass 2. My password safe itself is stored in Dropbox, and synchronized to all my devices that I care to have my password manager on. I then installed the software on those devices (work PC, home PC, and mobile phone). The computers auto-update and synchronize, and the phone I need to manually download a new copy if I know I've updated a password.

From there, I have plugins for Chrome and Firefox that will read the vault when it is open and prompt me for passwords to enter, or I can copy/paste from the clipboard.

The weak part of the setup is my Dropbox password, as I need that to set up a new PC. However if a hacker was to get that it's still a unique password to all my other ones, and while they would have the encrypted vault, they would need to crack it (And I deliberately have it set at a pretty high encryption standard). If I really wanted to go all out, I would store my Dropbox password in Keepass, creating a chicken & the egg scenario, but that's a step further than I want to go.

Also make sure your master password is somewhere physical (perhaps in a safety deposit box) so that if anything were to happen to you, your friends and/or family could get access to your accounts. The friend who taught me to use keepass actually keeps a USB backup of the file in his safety deposit box that he updates periodically. But he's a lot more strict with security than I am and also has a family to watch out for...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I realize im asking something stupid but...

All good Password managers cost money, right? like, they're all on a monthly subscription model, right?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I've got an 8AM vendor call and I reallllllly don't want to. :( I mean I do because I've been trying to fix this issue for months and the vendor's rescheduled on us for a week now after finally having the engineers available, but it's also 8AM!

(I use the word "also" too much.)

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

All good Password managers cost money, right? like, they're all on a monthly subscription model, right?

My apologies. I forgot to mention my Keepass setup is 100% free.

• Options

I never paid anything for LastPass and it works great. Browser plugins and mobile apps so entering passwords is basically seamless, tied to TouchID/FaceID, and all long, complex, and unique. Lastpass also does lent have access to my keys so even if they get hacked, my passwords are safe.

When I need to log into a website, it asks for touch or Face ID, fills it in, and I’m good.

• Options
    By “I never paid for LastPass”, do you mean you pirated it or something?

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Here, The wirecutter has a REALLY good article on password managers and what to expect. They discount my choice because of the needing plugins for non-Windows support, but that's okay as I don't bother with Macs anyways. ;-)

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-password-managers/

Edit: LastPass Free is their budget recommendation.

Athenor on
  • Options
    By “I never paid for LastPass”, do you mean you pirated it or something?

No. They have a premium offering but I never paid for it.

I don’t know if all the functionality I’m using is still free, but I’ve never paid anything.

• Options
    That said, I would 100% pay for lastpass tho. It’s a totally integral part of my life and worth it.

Cheaping out on security is a good way to get screwed down the line.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    After watching the movie and the first season, I’m worried that I’m constitutionally incapable of liking The Clone Wars. This is likely due to the fact that I hate the Prequels . . . so much . . flames . . . on the sides of my face

if it helps, what you've watched so far is by far the worst parts! I know people say this about everything all the time but it really does get a lot better!

and while this might be faint praise, the high points of that show are definitely the best thing to come out of the prequel era and make, if not the movies themselves, the story they tell better

on the other hand, it's 2020 - you don't have to watch Star Wars anymore!

• Options
    Having to only remember 1 password of a strong passphrase complexity is a wonder, even if it means I mistype it on my work PC often. I have it set to auto-lock after 2 minutes of inactivity or if the computer locks, because I'm an admin and I don't want that kind of thing open. Heck, my work password manager is less secure.

I should note I have about 200+ passwords in my vault, a mix of personal and professional. Passwords add up once you start thinking about them.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    1Password is, in my opinion, a better tool than lastpass from a security perspective, but there is no "free" 1password option and honestly both of them are a billion times better than what most people do.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    The issues I really care about

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    My PW manager requires my passphrase and adding the vault to a new peice of hardware also requires a secondary code that only exists on a printed sheet I keep at home

• Options
    I got an iPhone11 and am still getting over the loss of TouchID.

FaceID I'm not sure if I trust enough to unlock my passwords

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I had one of those poops where you feel like you could float off into the sky afterwards.

• Options

the new iphone got rid of touchID?

W.... why? I would not trust face id either.

• Options

There's no home button anymore

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    For me, X-Men was the hard franchise to let go of. I mean, we watched the Star Wars movies as kids, but we watched the X-men animated series, bought the comics, and played with the toys. Also, mutants were objectively cooler than jedi, sorry not sorry.

But at a certain point I realized that I don't enjoy them anymore! And the fact that they're part of the all-creating, all-consuming media beast nowadays is helpful for moving on.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Um x-men is always good

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

My new phone does fingerprint recognition through a spot on the screen. Odd to remove it. Must've been another 100um in thinness on the quest for a phone that doubles as a box cutter.

• Options
    The problem with faceid are all these perfectly crafted busts of me that are strewn about my apartment

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Also, in today's unbearably queer moment, Spotify--which is a robot and incapable of irony--put the song "A Little Bit Alexis" from Schitt's Creek in my discovery queue. The point of the show, and song, is that the Alexis character is a horrifying Paris Hilton knockoff. Which is what I get for listening to the actual Paris Hilton?

I'm in this picture and I don't like it!

MrMister on
  • Options

I mean, that's a pretty poor excuse. They could have a sensor somewhere without needing a physical button.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    Um x-men is always good

I bailed after First Class, which I has to fast forward through all the parts that weren't Fassbender hanging dong.

Hm, maybe I'm thinking of Shame.

• Options
    plus, why would they need to remove the home button in the first place?

• Options
    First class was really boring, though

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Um x-men is always good

Except whenever they try to use the Phoenix

The Phoenix is good in very

very

small doses

Two films about the same damn major plotline with her in just over a decade is not small doses

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    Um x-men is always good

I bailed after First Class, which I has to fast forward through all the parts that weren't Fassbender hanging dong.

Hm, maybe I'm thinking of Shame.

X-menfirst class is good-ish imo and then it went downhill...

Exception: Logan is good.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

I mean, that's a pretty poor excuse. They could have a sensor somewhere without needing a physical button.

My phone has the fingerprint ID on the back, and it works fine

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    we use 1pass in work and i'm going to set it up for personal use one of these days

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Magneto: Nazi Hunter bits of First Class were great

As was Logan

This discussion has been closed.