As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally, a video game about the best part of [Star Wars]

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    TPM is my favourite of the prequels and I'll watch it anytime. I think the switch to digital hurt the prequels. The Phantom Menace is the best looking film, 2 and 3 look like video games and I have a hard time caring about them. It also negatively affected Lucas's directing. They're full of obvious greenscreen walk and talks. Its not so different to his use of matte paintings in the OT, but the difference is that the matte paintings looked good and the area around the actors was still a real set. The filming of the latter two prequels was featureless greenscreen.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I only watch jar jar scenes

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    TPM is my favourite of the prequels and I'll watch it anytime. I think the switch to digital hurt the prequels. The Phantom Menace is the best looking film, 2 and 3 look like video games and I have a hard time caring about them. It also negatively affected Lucas's directing. They're full of obvious greenscreen walk and talks. Its not so different to his use of matte paintings in the OT, but the difference is that the matte paintings looked good and the area around the actors was still a real set. The filming of the latter two prequels was featureless greenscreen.

I dont disagree, but I also appreciate that about them. In the context of george lucas's work, he was always the guy who was pushing tech as far as it world go. Every star wars movie invented new tricks and tech when it reached against the limits of the times. Lucas is taking these huge risks, treating these 200 mil children movies for 8 years as testing grounds for filmmaking tech that would push the entire industry forward. Does it always pay off ? No and the movies probably suffered for them, but he went and did it and now we have those horizons to play with.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I know a friend that got into the playtest for Star Wars Squadrons thats going on right now. They say its amazing. Its clearly meant to be and plays like a modern day X-Wing v TIE Fighter.

He went as far as to say that he believes that this must have been a passion project because its so clearly well crafted and recreates the feel of the older games.

He has been freaking out about it since he was able to jump in this afternoon.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Did someone fall asleep at ea. Are we really getting a x wing v Tie fighter in 2020. Just a year after another really good sw game

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am guessing after Battlefront 2, Disney started making noise

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think it's a safe assumption that Disney stepped in after the backlash from BF2. EA has sole development rights to Star Wars and BF2s launch was so horrifically, brazenly money grubbing and bad that I think it legitimately put the future of any Star Wars games they published at risk. Disney ain't gonna let nobody fuck with their cash cow.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's a safe assumption that Disney stepped in after the backlash from BF2. EA has sole development rights to Star Wars and BF2s launch was so horrifically, brazenly money grubbing and bad that I think it legitimately put the future of any Star Wars games they published at risk. Disney ain't gonna let nobody fuck with their cash cow.

Except for jj and terrio

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I do not have an explanation for that one.

Well, maybe Disney is overly susceptible to online criticism. It worked for BF2 because that was actually bad, but they listened to the MRA Failsons after The Last Jedi and thought they needed to "fix" that, too.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    my buddy has the alpha for squadrons and he streamed it over discord for a few of us. it looks really bare bones, and most people probably wont play it much after just a couple weeks. i understand it's just the alpha, but it just looked boring to watch.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Between throttle management, power management (including shunting power to subsystems from others), shield management, the lack of handholding when targeting, and the more advanced controls like drifting combined with the large number of functional modifications to be made to ships, I've heard that playing the game is much more rewarding than watching it. Especially if the player isn't engaging with all those system or you don't understand everything the player is doing when they are.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Oh, and don't even get me started on the difficulty and challenge when engaging capital ships.

At least from what I've heard.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Between throttle management, power management (including shunting power to subsystems from others), shield management, the lack of handholding when targeting, and the more advanced controls like drifting combined with the large number of functional modifications to be made to ships. I've heard that playing the game is much more rewarding than watching it. Especially if the player isn't engaging with all those system or you don't understand everything the player is doing when they are.

YES THIS IS WHAT I WANT

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Oh, and don't even get me started on the difficulty and challenge when engaging capital ships.

Oh no, I do want you to get started. Is it too hard? Too easy?

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I rather it be too hard then too easy . If it’s too hard there is always something new to learn, too easy means I’m done with game quickly and I have nothing to go back too.

• Options
    It should be challenging nigh impossible to take those cap ships

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Back in Xwing vs Tie Fighter I'd take out all the turrets on a star destroyer and then recreate the trench run by flying down the edge of the destroyer.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    the only way to properly make an X-Wing vs Tie Fighter is to have it be either boring to watch or way too much to watch, probably swiveling between the two

otherwise I feel like you've just given me an action flight game and that's not what i'm here for, no sirree

• Options
    save the action cam angles for when we get Squadrons Tournament Edition DX

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Oh no, I do want you to get started. Is it too hard? Too easy?

I've heard it's very difficult. According to my friend
    My Friend wrote:
    They've got a massive amount of shields and a metric ton of turbo lasers and missle turrets. Star Destroyers, for example, can also tractor beam you if you fly near their underside. Taking out subsystems requires flying inside of the shields or taking out the shields. Either you do a million passes at the shields until they are gone or you take out the shield subsystems (also only possible from inside the shields). Getting inside the shields means being basically right up next to the ship.

There are three main subsystems to destroy: Power, Targeting, and Shields. Destroy the Power subsystem and weak spots appear on the ship in the form of electrical explosions. Hit those and you'll do more damage than just hitting hull. Destroying the targeting decreases the accuracy of the ship. Destroying the Shield subsystem drops the shields.

• Options
    starting to think that Obi has a friend the same way I had a "friend" who kept his weed in my room as a teenager

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but unlike yours, Obi's denial is plausible.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Man I’m going to be so bad at this game . I’m a real og at aviation struggles , been sucking since top gear NES.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The most important part of Star Wars Squadrons is that those big I-Beam shaped freighters from all the old X-Wing games return!

Also Ace Azzameen was one of the names when hitting random during character creation.

I have not seen this, but been told by sources.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The most important part of Star Wars Squadrons is that those big I-Beam shaped freighters from all the old X-Wing games return!

Also Ace Azzameen was one of the names when hitting random during character creation.

I have not seen this, but been told by sources.

I heard from my friend that one of the very first things you do in the story (mild spoiler)
    is scan a bunch of those I-Beam Freighters looking for, essentially, contraband

• Options
    dmlncglksahugojhsljkghjkfdglsjkdrg i wanna play the game so bad did we pick a clan name????

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    dmlncglksahugojhsljkghjkfdglsjkdrg i wanna play the game so bad did we pick a clan name????

Yeah it's Jerk City Rules

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »

Yeah it's Jerk City Rules

don't post my password

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Lightsaber Nunchucks.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Sullustan Entropy Yub Yub

Edit: Ribaldry and Hapans Dance

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Ted Squadron

all of you have to be named Ted

edit: or, one of my recent favorites, The Rowdy Three.

the name gets better the more people you have in the group.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Dinner squadron but if you take that name you can never lose otherwise you dishonor all who came before you

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    The Sighs of Skywalker

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Bobble Vader is exactly the kind of dumb bullshit I want in my Star Wars flight sim.

And the squadron name is obviously Corran Corran.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hyperspeed, Reylo Drag

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Wtf, watching a gameplay video from a few days ago and they confirm that you can’t customize your astromech.

Seems like they should’ve started with the important stuff before implementing bobble heads.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Vape, cold one.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    That astromech should be free to choose its own customizations!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Gonk droid sounds in my cockpit or riot.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    SaraLuna wrote: »
    Wtf, watching a gameplay video from a few days ago and they confirm that you can’t customize your astromech.

Seems like they should’ve started with the important stuff before implementing bobble heads.

That will be the DLC.

This discussion has been closed.