As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally, a video game about the best part of [Star Wars]

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It was used in the "Legends" by characters. Don't think it has been used in "Canon" yet aside from non-story books.
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Galactic_Standard_Calendar

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I find the idea that TLJ does not adequately follow up TFA to be rather confusing. TLJ plays right in the space that TFA creates. It see that Kylo is an overt look at millennial online neo-nazi's and explores what that means for Kylo. It takes Rey's status as the fan insert and gives her the most obvious plot for that sort of character. She meets her hero and finds him wanting. It looks at Finn's desperate neutrality and explores centrist "whataboutism" and why someone like that might become radicalized.

Further so many of the(truly) bad stuff about TLJ are directly from TFA that many missed. Are you angry that the Resistence was reduced to basically nothing? Go back to the control room scenes in TFA and you'll see they state that outright. Are you mad Finn still only cares about Rey? I'm sorry that's where TFA left his character. He lies and almost gets the resistance killed to get on the mission to save Rey and only agrees to sabotage Skywalker base when he has literally no choice. Then he spends the last ten minutes knocked out. Are you mad that Luke has become kind of a dirtbag? That's on TFA. There was never going to be a reason that Luke gave up that isn't bad for him.

Then again I'm pretty forgiving of most of the creative choices in RoS and mostly mad about it because of how wasteful and poorly done everything is.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I find the idea that TLJ does not adequately follow up TFA to be rather confusing. TLJ plays right in the space that TFA creates. It see that Kylo is an overt look at millennial online neo-nazi's and explores what that means for Kylo. It takes Rey's status as the fan insert and gives her the most obvious plot for that sort of character. She meets her hero and finds him wanting. It looks at Finn's desperate neutrality and explores centrist "whataboutism" and why someone like that might become radicalized.

Further so many of the(truly) bad stuff about TLJ are directly from TFA that many missed. Are you angry that the Resistence was reduced to basically nothing? Go back to the control room scenes in TFA and you'll see they state that outright. Are you mad Finn still only cares about Rey? I'm sorry that's where TFA left his character. He lies and almost gets the resistance killed to get on the mission to save Rey and only agrees to sabotage Skywalker base when he has literally no choice. Then he spends the last ten minutes knocked out. Are you mad that Luke has become kind of a dirtbag? That's on TFA. There was never going to be a reason that Luke gave up that isn't bad for him.

Then again I'm pretty forgiving of most of the creative choices in RoS and mostly mad about it because of how wasteful and poorly done everything is.

We can have this argument again if you want. But trust me, its not worth it. It really comes down to differing ideas of what people want from Star Wars. Neither is wrong.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    ObiFett wrote: »

We can have this argument again if you want. But trust me, its not worth it. It really comes down to differing ideas of what people want from Star Wars. Neither is wrong.

The thing about it is that nothing I have said is about either movies quality. Its an attempt at dispassionate descriptions of what literally happens in each movie. I find it interesting that these discussions often devolve into discussions about whether each movie is the "correct" sequel to the one before it. Its interesting because that isn't really a discussion of each films quality. Well, I think its interesting.

EDIT-Anyway don't mind me I don't really have a point. I'm just bored.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options

The thing about it is that nothing I have said is about either movies quality. Its an attempt at dispassionate descriptions of what literally happens in each movie. I find it interesting that these discussions often devolve into discussions about whether each movie is the "correct" sequel to the one before it. Its interesting because that isn't really a discussion of each films quality. Well, I think its interesting.

I agree with you. I'm not saying one is correct or whatever. I'm just saying there is a valid reason to think that TFA left different path(s) for TLJ to have taken.

- The resistance was minimal in TFA, yes. But TLJ could have time jumped with Leia having gained support after the Hosnian tragedy.
    - Finn realized he was wrong only caring about Rey by the end of TFA. No reason that had to continue. And honestly TLJ didn't continue that. Finn had growth of a different kind which I think was actually pretty good. But it wasn't the only story that could have been told about Finn as a result of TFA.
    - Luke being out of the game for years could have been resolved in a number of ways from TFA. Him giving up and abandoning his friends, by choice, was not the only option TFA left.

Again, this argument has been had multiple times across multiple iterations of this thread. Its like bad poetry, its just repeating itself.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Finn did not in any way come to the conclusion that he was wrong for caring only about Rey at the end of TFA. That's sort of what is interesting here. That's something I've heard a lot and it is objectively wrong. There is nothing in the end of TFA that even implies that. So why do people believe it? No idea but I find it interesting.

But yes TLJ could have written those things out or changed it but like I said the thing I find interesting isn't the argument is not whether anything is good but that people see TLJ as not being a good sequel to TFA because they view it as retconning things that absolutely were canon in TFA.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Finn did not in any way come to the conclusion that he was wrong for caring only about Rey at the end of TFA. That's sort of what is interesting here. That's something I've heard a lot and it is objectively wrong. There is nothing in the end of TFA that even implies that. So why do people believe it? No idea but I find it interesting.

But yes TLJ could have written those things out or changed it but like I said the thing I find interesting isn't the argument is not whether anything is good but that people see TLJ as not being a good sequel to TFA because they view it as retconning things that absolutely were canon in TFA.

The bolded is not a common complaint about TLJ at all. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen that complaint around here.

• Options

You're right here, though. I had it backwards from TLJ. In TFA, he learns to care about someone else and not just escaping danger. Sort of the same arc Han went through in ANH. In TLJ he learns to expand that care and love outwards and the correct way to focus it.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If they were going to have an in-universe calendar then it should probably start with when Palpatine declared an Empire.

And then I don't know, have the New Republic try and start a new dating system after they consolidate control or something.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I figure the Empire would start a new calendar and then the New Republic would roll back to the old calendar in an attempt to shore up legitimacy. Like how Napoleon was all "Okay, you idiots, it's 1806 again. Let's all pretend that never happened."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    In honor of celebration weekend, I am am reminded that JJ managed to make the worst looking movie in the franchise, cut John Williams score all to hell, had the worst lightsaber fight, worst space battle, and managed to waste Mark Hamill, and topped it off by wasting Ian Mcdiarmid as well.

But he also gave us Babu Frik.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    In honor of celebration weekend, I am am reminded that JJ managed to make the worst looking movie in the franchise, cut John Williams score all to hell, had the worst lightsaber fight, worst space battle, and managed to waste Mark Hamill, and topped it off by wasting Ian Mcdiarmid as well.

And Zorri Bliss, who is cool as fuck and I want to see the Poe/Zorri prequel.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I'm fine if Zorri ends up being the ST's Boba Fett: cool looking character who is obviously badass despite not proving it at all in the movies.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020

I'm fine if Zorri ends up being the ST's Boba Fett: cool looking character who is obviously badass despite not proving it at all in the movies.

Did we not already have that nailed down?? I thought this had been taken care of back in TFA.

Ketar on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Babu Frick sucks shit. Ain't worth his weight in porgs there I said it.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Babu Frik is a bright moment in an otherwise miserable experience and I will not have him slandered so callously.

sarukun on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Boba Fett did like 3 things in the movies. Which is 300% more than Zorri ever did. Phasma is clearly the superior "cool by reputation but criminally underused in the films themselves" character. I think Phasma's novel, comic mini-series, and villain one-off comic are all genuinely interesting and well done.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I could recite you beat for beat the entirety of RoS’s plot but I have completely forgotten everything about Babu Frick. Was he the guy who operated on 3po?

Anyway I think Phasma does enough. Her entire thing is that she is a mini-boss the physical representation of Finn’s act of rebellion and what it’s against. I’m good with that and then she never appears again.

Sucks they didn’t replace her with anything.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    JJ thought so little of Babu Frink that he left him alone to die on an exploding planet. Disney had to convince the FX team to slide him into frame during the Zori Bliss reunion so fans could be placated. Imagine being so horrid that even your own father JJ Abrams abandons you.

• Options
    Cristoval wrote: »
    JJ thought so little of Babu Frink that he left him alone to die on an exploding planet. Disney had to convince the FX team to slide him into frame during the Zori Bliss reunion so fans could be placated. Imagine being so horrid that even your own father JJ Abrams abandons you.

JJ abandoned all his creations sans Rey and Kylo.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    JJ Abrams abandoned every Lost fan I'm not sure why people expect more of him than that.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    JJ Abrams left Lost before it aired most of the show's best episodes, we're cool, there

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I still think the two lightsaber fights in TRoS between Rey and Kylo are pretty cool. The one where they fight through their link to each other has a cool feel and set up to it. And the fight with them on the remains of the Death Star was very good.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the fight on the death star didn't really make any sense narratively, is the main problem, but that's also a problem with the rest of the movie, so

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I really liked the mind link fight, but the Death Star fight just didn't wow me.

• Options
    Mind link stuff was good.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    TFA hasd Phasma thrown into a dumpster, TLJ she lands in a burning dumpster, TROS could have had her slam dunked into a burning exploding dumpster and it would have been like poetry it would have rhymed

• Options
    The death star fight is barely a fight. It's the first time that Kylo has the advantage and that's mostly because Rey is so emotionally messed up that she can't function. It's just Kylo winning until his mom yells at him so much she dies.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I really like the idea of the Death Star fight, with the ocean waves calling back to the lava waves in the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight, I just wish it had been executed better.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    As ever, there are no bad stories, only stories told poorly, and I have even come around to the idea that what happens in RoS could have worked...mostly because nothing much of anything happens, it's mostly whizbang lights and colors, so there's less awfulness to actually salvage.

Also am I the only person who thought it looked like Rey was actually winning the Death Star wreckage fight until Kylo Ren remembered that he was booked to win about three-quarters of the way through and just said "fuck off I'm going over"?

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    TLJ was a great follow up to TFA now someone link me to the squadrons thread

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    As ever, there are no bad stories, only stories told poorly, and I have even come around to the idea that what happens in RoS could have worked...mostly because nothing much of anything happens, it's mostly whizbang lights and colors, so there's less awfulness to actually salvage.

Also am I the only person who thought it looked like Rey was actually winning the Death Star wreckage fight until Kylo Ren remembered that he was booked to win about three-quarters of the way through and just said "fuck off I'm going over"?

No, to me it looked like she was out of control and overextended the entire fight, and Kylo was not killing her the whole time because he really didn't want to. Honestly, the most confusing part is the end, was he truly considering finishing her off until his mom interceded? That's bizarre to me, as he had literally no interest in doing that the entire rest of the series, no matter how many chances he got.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    It's me

I'm the one who thinks TLJ was a pretentious nonsensical follow up to TFA (That had some good moments but otherwise wasted a lot of potential and goodwill TFA as well as Rogue One built back up)

And unfortunately I had the monkey's paw in my possession after seeing it, so

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Oh good this argument

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    How about we all forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream?

Courtesy of Willrow Hood's ice cream maker.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    It's me

I'm the one who thinks TLJ was a pretentious nonsensical follow up to TFA (That had some good moments but otherwise wasted a lot of potential and goodwill TFA as well as Rogue One built back up)

And unfortunately I had the monkey's paw in my possession after seeing it, so

What did TLJ ruin that TFA started?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    TFA place setting was god awful and TLJ best moments were when they threw those goddamn mystery boxes in the trash. JJ got a great cast and had a real solid plot line with Kylo and a lot of squandered opportunities because he knows what star wars looks like and has no idea how to actually do a story in that setting.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Never liked strawberry, typically I enjoy vanilla or fruit flavors . Black cherry and peach are far and beyond strawberry for me.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Never liked strawberry, typically I enjoy vanilla or fruit flavors . Black cherry and peach are far and beyond strawberry for me.

You’ll get strawberry and like it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Live by the Simpsons quote, die by the Simpsons quote.

This discussion has been closed.