As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally, a video game about the best part of [Star Wars]

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    It's quite funny to me that Omega's voice actor is clearly the only actual Kiwi on the cast when you put her in with Dee Bradley Baker... doing his best

Loosely related, voice actors get paid by line? If so I hope Baker gets paid a bit for basically talking to himself nonstop for half an hour.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I wanna be clear I'm not dunking on Baker at all, he's done great work across many seasons of different shows now and should be well paid for all of it

It's just funny to hear a real accent in there

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Every alien design in TRoS sucks shit, especially Babu Frik but especially smooth calamari.
    E0izr9nWQAkMnN3.jpg

Gross!

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    And speaking of his voices. Wrecker was much less annoying this episode. Turned down the knob on him from 11 to like a 5 or so.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Every alien design in TRoS sucks shit, especially Babu Frik but especially smooth calamari.
    E0izr9nWQAkMnN3.jpg

Gross!

Almost as much screen time as Rose.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    So after episode 2 of the bad batch I think this might become the A-Team in space?
    10 years ago a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team Clone Force 99.

Hard to deny some similarity in their stories.

• Options
    Biggest difference is probably that the bad batch is not shooting to stun. They killed and wounded quite a few clones already. Who are now also consistently keeping their helmets on now that they're goons and not protagonists anymore

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Do you need to have finished the 3d Clone Wars animated series to begin the Bad Batch?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Looking your enemy in their expressive face before taking away their life can make a lot of people feel bad which is why robots are the superior foe you can set those fuckers on fire and watch them writhe and melt and shriek for comedy

The ratings board will stay off your back too you can vivisect a robot with electroscalpels and retain your G rating, why you'd do such a thing is between you and Our Dark Lord Satan

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Do you need to have finished the 3d Clone Wars animated series to begin the Bad Batch?

You could just watch the episode in clone wars where they show up and probably be good? It is kinda too early to tell how much it might call back to Clone Wars specific episodes

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Episode 2 called back very specifically to a CW season 2 episode, but going forward, yeah who knows

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I have almost completely forgotten everything that happened in TRoS. Soon nothing of it will remain in my mind except a vague and ominous shadow that I dare not step into.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Biggest difference is probably that the bad batch is not shooting to stun. They killed and wounded quite a few clones already. Who are now also consistently keeping their helmets on now that they're goons and not protagonists anymore

those poor fucking boys

you should absolutely watch the last episode of the series, regardless

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I have almost completely forgotten everything that happened in TRoS. Soon nothing of it will remain in my mind except a vague and ominous shadow that I dare not step into.

I'm jealous.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    It's quite funny to me that Omega's voice actor is clearly the only actual Kiwi on the cast when you put her in with Dee Bradley Baker... doing his best

Loosely related, voice actors get paid by line? If so I hope Baker gets paid a bit for basically talking to himself nonstop for half an hour.

The Union standard is hourly sessions ( 4 hours max iirc) so depending on how taxing the voice is he may do different clones on different days

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    oh I thought of another good thing

"Scum."

"Rebel scum."

Wasn’t that the last Jedi?

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I've been playing battlefront 2.

That game is damn good looking.

• Options
    Apropos of nothing, this bad batch poster Disney uses in the app is really nice

TheBadBatchPoster.jpg

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

Hrmm... I'm currently rewatching the Clone Wars series as I am following along with A More Civilized Age podcast.

So I don't know if I want to jump far ahead (but also, that podcast will take at least 2+ years to finish).

Hrmmmm...

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    The first few episodes of the last season introduce the characters and that's pretty important. The first season has a character from Rebels in it too so being familiar with that character adds a little, but it might be even better if you're not familiar when he shows up.

Clone Wars isn't in order anyway so anything else is probably going to be fine either way.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

Hrmm... I'm currently rewatching the Clone Wars series as I am following along with A More Civilized Age podcast.

So I don't know if I want to jump far ahead (but also, that podcast will take at least 2+ years to finish).

Hrmmmm...

I mean if you want to just catch up on the main bullet points of the major non-film characters, you want the back end of season 5, the front end of season 6, and the last two or three episodes of 7

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    ok stream #1 is in the books, we're halfway through republic commando, and while it's clear we've gone through 16 years of shooter development since that time it's actually not as "rose-colored glasses" as I thought it would be, it still plays pretty well all things considered

the squad mechanics are still good. Sev waffles between deciding the wall is really interesting and pulling extreme gamer moves like rezzing Scorch through a wall. the guy's all over the map

• Options
    Okay so like. There is a really dumb thing happening with my dad's canceled Star Wars book. A fan started printing it, in a surprisingly nice paperback format in the style of the old EU books and was selling them on Amazon at cost. It then jumped up to like 3rd most purchased Star Wars book and now a bunch of podcasts want to interview him.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Your dad is heart of the Jedi?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    for better or for worse we've finished the Republic Commando stream. Time to pick a new game to play!

my tl;dr is that that game holds up pretty well, it's obvious we've gone through 15 years of shooter evolution since it came out but the squad stuff still plays really really well and it's just still a fun game (even if Hard is harder than I anticipated it would be). They should make a new one of those.

T4CT on
  • Options
    Last week I asked my high school students who their favorite Star Wars characters were.

The results?

#1. -- Chewbacca
    #2. -- Anakin Skywalker
    #3. -- Jabba the Hutt

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    for better or for worse we've finished the Republic Commando stream. Time to pick a new game to play!

my tl;dr is that that game holds up pretty well, it's obvious we've gone through 15 years of shooter evolution since it came out but the squad stuff still plays really really well and it's just still a fun game (even if Hard is harder than I anticipated it would be). They should make a new one of those.

it's a crime that there was no Republic Commando 2, or an Imperial Commando game (where you inevitably betray the Empire because holy shit why are they so unnecessarily evil).

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    that was the Battlefront 2 campaign.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Battlefront 2's single player is a woefully worse shooter than Republic Commando. Holding only one weapon at a time and fighting bot match equivalent AI in maps not built for interesting single player engagements.

• Options
    The worst part of republic commando by a lot was unfortunately the shooting, which is the part that suffers the most by being 15 years old. Some of the hit detection on those guns is pretty crummy

• Options
    I say that as someone who had quite a lot of fun replaying it just now and played a SHITLOAD of it when it came out. The mission design in Republic Commando is top notch stuff but I have a hard time imagining that Battlefront II like, feels worse (luckily I will eventually have to play those games)

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    I say that as someone who had quite a lot of fun replaying it just now and played a SHITLOAD of it when it came out. The mission design in Republic Commando is top notch stuff but I have a hard time imagining that Battlefront II like, feels worse (luckily I will eventually have to play those games)

I dislike how the EA Battlefronts play quite a bit already, but the campaign adds several issues that aren't really an issue in multiplayer.

• Options

God damn you are not kidding
    Hurr durr lets target a loyal Imperial world as our victim of Operation Cinder.

That'll show the galaxy. A rebellion takes place and our first counter attack is on our own worlds

The Empire is run by fucking morons.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

That'll show the galaxy. A rebellion takes place and our first counter attack is on our own worlds

In this case
    It is literally the "You didn't win!" bad sportsmanship of a corpse. Instructions dutifully carried out by lawful evil types who think that following orders is the only way to go or by gleeful fascists who just get off on hurting people.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    You know the crosshairs is probably going to need a team to track down the bad batch.
    As I recall there is a republic commando unit that lost their sniper...

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

In this case
    It is literally the "You didn't win!" bad sportsmanship of a corpse. Instructions dutifully carried out by lawful evil types who think that following orders is the only way to go or by gleeful fascists who just get off on hurting people.

Hask is deffo the latter

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Operation Cinder
    was specifically designed to deny whoever succeeded the Empire any planets to actually govern, disregarding their loyalties

If Palpatine couldn't have them then nobody could, was his thinking

How does this jive with the bullshit in Rise of Skywalker? Well it doesn't. Don't ask me again

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Operation Cinder
    was specifically designed to deny whoever succeeded the Empire any planets to actually govern, disregarding their loyalties

If Palpatine couldn't have them then nobody could, was his thinking

How does this jive with the bullshit in Rise of Skywalker? Well it doesn't. Don't ask me again

That's one thing that works fairly well honestly
    Palpatine coming back in Rise of Skywalker wouldn't have worked if there was an established, dominant galactic power - particularly a stable Empire successor. If the Empire had consolidated power under anyone after Palp's death and won, that'd be a problem for the whole Exegol plan, so Cinder makes sure that if he dies everything goes to hell for the rest of the empire.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Yeah honestly that plot point of Battlefront II felt pretty on brand for the cartoonishly evil bad guy in the scary robe with the fucked up face.
    "I lost so instead of just dying with some dignity I'm gonna burn the whole fucking galaxy down fuck you."

Like, even if they hadn't had to set up some minor building blocks for the creation of the First Order it was a pretty spot on reaction for Palps. He knew the true believers were true to the end and would rather nuke their own homeworlds than see them fall into the hands of the Rebels.

• Options
    I honestly liked the Battlefront II campaign. It wasn't brilliant but it was some pretty good Star Wars.

Like, the only complaint I really have against it was trying to shoe horn in some minor First Order lore and set up a few small plot points for the sequels. How much of that is RoS retroactively making the prequels bad and thus souring me on any sequel stuff in general, I dunno.

This discussion has been closed.