As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a Sakuga [Anime] Thread

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I can see One Piece ending in the not so distant future

Current stuff seems like endgame
    After Wano, there's:

Elbaf? 4th Ponegliff?

Laugh Tale (Raftel)

Find out aftermath of Reverie

Tie up individual crew arcs (Laboon, All Blue, etc.)

Paramount War II for finale, which needs Blackbeard, Shanks, Vegapunk, Admirals, Revolutionaries, Worst Generation.

Probably stuff I haven't considered or remembered. There are a lot of balls being juggled, narratively.

Could easily be another 5 years.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So this One Piece Arc is gonna be Zoro vs Kaido and Luffy vs Big Mom right

You cant give Zoro a dragon slaying sword and have him not use it

As long as it isn’t another 50 ( exaggeration I know) episodes of big Karen screaming wedding cake for 20 minutes it’s going to be awesome. That was the worst part of that big mom assassination attempt by far.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Eh Laboon and All blue feel like epilogue shit

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

As long as it isn’t another 50 ( exaggeration I know) episodes of big Karen screaming wedding cake for 20 minutes it’s going to be awesome. That was the worst part of that big mom assassination attempt by far.

WEDDDIIIINNNNGGGG CAAAAAKEEEEEY

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

WEDDDIIIINNNNGGGG CAAAAAKEEEEEY

God it was so annoying I legit started to mute it and just read the subtitles.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Re: Ascendance of a Bookworm
    The conversation in episode 8 was really well done. I do wonder if old Main is really gone. In episode 1, you do hear her for a bit, and besides N!Main somehow magically transferred consciousness to a new body while keeping the new body's memories which means really there's no way to speculate about what's possible.. Or maybe the two individual's consciousness merged and the consciousness that had way, way more experience became the more influential part. But I kind of doubt that because then N!Main would have had emotional connections with her family and friends, which she didn't have until she actually spent time with them.

It would probably be better if she was gone as compared to somehow still being around. Almost any way of OG Main still being there would be extremely tragic for her. Well, even more tragic than a five-six year old child dying of fever.

Gundi on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Re: Blackbeard.

I’m still holding on to the theory that his Dark fruit is operating at like half power most of the time we’ve seen him in action, because the thing that weakens it is light of any kind. Like how Crocodile lost a bunch of his sand power when wet. And that’s why he covered himself and Whitebeard in a huge curtain when he stole his power. In an environment of total darkness he can make full use of the power and become shadows.

Granted, most of this is just me not believing that a Logia fruit exists that doesn’t have the basic power of Logia fruits, to dissolve into the thing it controls.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I want Kidd to take down Big Mom, the worst generation needs someone else making headlines like Luffy does.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    I actually conceptually like Big Mom the most out of the emperors in One Piece. Her deal is by far the most creative from what I've seen. Her arc was very ehhhhhhhhhhh though.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Kaido was interesting as just this phenomenally strong person who had never been injured and did things like fall off Skypeia, crash into the ground, and get up complaining he hadn't died.

Wano Kaido is way worse in comparison.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    A question that I saw brought up elsewhere:
    Is Curse of Strahd an isekai?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I liked tonight's episode of One Piece a lot. Robin gets to do something! Plot happens! No tedious drawn out action scenes or filler slow pans or flashbacks! It felt like an episode from a show that actually cares about pacing for once.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I thought Sanji vs Dinosaur guy last episode was pretty good. Some real nice animation in that one.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    The dinosaur fight was fine in the technical sense, wasn't too filler-y, and they kept it all to one episode which was very restrained of them. I think the suit is kind of lame compared to his usual fighting style though, and it was a little too irrelevant to the main plot for me to care that much about it. Didn't feel like there were any stakes, was mostly just to put Sanji over and show off his powerups, which is fine, but doesn't appeal to me.

Which reminds me that I was really hoping Sanji would fight one of his brothers in the whole cake arc and establish that he already eclipses the raid suits with just his natural abilities and haki training.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    woof ascendance of a bookworm doesn't pull punches in the latter half of its first season.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    One piece just made a mescaline joke?!?!

Lmao *I just started watching this killed me

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    how many episodes in?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    how many episodes in?

Uh maybe a 100 Ace is around and fried a scorpion and this show is lazer guided to make me cry but I also don't consume a ton of media but I'll be damned if all the crew rule so far and aside from being anime dumb boys I still love em

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I don't really read specific genres but here's the top 50 yuri manga of 2019 from the 3rd Yuri Manga Awards by Yuri Navi if anyone is interested, maybe you will find something you like or something
    https://yurimother.com/post/613874586752303104

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    oh wow, finale of magia record has a scene more graphic than i expected
    sayaka tanking her hand getting blown off blocking one of mami's cannon shots and healing it was p metal

interesting how they changed the story up from the mobile game for this stopping point though, certainly feels much more bleak

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    It's getting a season 2 which is nice. Considering the game isn't exactly burning up the charts I was worried it wouldn't do well enough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Kemono Friends managed to get a second season, and that game was *dead*. Sometimes the anime becomes popular enough to fund itself, I guess.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I actually conceptually like Big Mom the most out of the emperors in One Piece. Her deal is by far the most creative from what I've seen. Her arc was very ehhhhhhhhhhh though.

I dont think she has an arc. Whole cake is more about her Kids and how she should treat them better but doesn't. Big Mom is just that rich old lady that says she's all about equality but actually shes a cuthroat monster that doesnt actually get what real equality is.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Being watch G Gundam for the first time, y'all were right that it really picks up after the first few episodes.

Just got through the end(?) of the first story arc, and it's kinda fascinating how much the JRPG Xenogears seemingly takes inspiration from this series. From the mech's design to the "martial arts with mechs" story framework, to the dark mentor character.

Anyway, this show is mega rad and I feel dumb for sitting on it for so long.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I dont think she has an arc. Whole cake is more about her Kids and how she should treat them better but doesn't. Big Mom is just that rich old lady that says she's all about equality but actually shes a cuthroat monster that doesnt actually get what real equality is.

Big Mom is kind of odd as a One Piece villain because the worst things she does, she doesn't actually seem to be conscious or aware of. So the whole "teach this trash person a lesson" part doesn't come into play as much. It's more like punching out a hurricane.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Demon Slayer chapter this week is uh...
    Shut up! I'm not crying! You're crying!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So the past two weeks, Chainsaw Man has taken a turn for the LSD-induced FUCKING WEIRD.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So the past two weeks, Chainsaw Man has taken a turn for the LSD-induced FUCKING WEIRD.

Chainsaw is absolute madness right now.
    I saw it pointed out that when everyone's arms are thrown into the air, it spells out MAKIMA.

Also, using the arms to panel the reaction shots on the next page was creepy AF.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Big Mom is kind of odd as a One Piece villain because the worst things she does, she doesn't actually seem to be conscious or aware of. So the whole "teach this trash person a lesson" part doesn't come into play as much. It's more like punching out a hurricane.

she rips out peoples souls and puts them in inanimate objects

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Periodic jump thoughts, sticking to newer stuff.

Zipman is dead, knows it, and is doing a final arc because fuck it. It's not great, but it'll be going out a lot better than most "immediate axe" series.

Yozakura Family feels like it's find its groove, but that it's not a popular groove. Won't be around much longer.

I'm enjoying guardian of the Witch, but it's not doing hot in the voting

Mashle is 100% Harry Potter in its analogue, not Black Clover.

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »
    Kemono Friends managed to get a second season, and that game was *dead*. Sometimes the anime becomes popular enough to fund itself, I guess.

Kemono Friends was a game? It does kind of feel like a gacha spinoff anime now that you mention it, but I was under the vague impression it was original.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

Kemono Friends was a game? It does kind of feel like a gacha spinoff anime now that you mention it, but I was under the vague impression it was original.

It was based on a dead mobile game, hence the weird postapocalyptic vibe.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    dang, that explanation for the weird post-apocalypse vibe of the park actually makes me like it even more

how'd they even get funding to make the anime with the game already dead?
    or I guess if they couldn't get proper funding that would explain why it looks like it does, huh

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

You pay lifespan as taxes in her territory and then she makes that life into soldiers.

Also her uh childhood indiscretions.

I dont think Oda wants to reform her.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

You pay lifespan as taxes in her territory and then she makes that life into soldiers.

The childhood things were apparently done under a mental blackout. Waking up and discovering all her friends were just "gone" then warped her view of things. It's... troubling.

• Options
    Big Mom's got a plenty tragic backstory,
    an unfortunate conflux of her extremely childish personality, super strength and super appetite, uncontrollable fugue states when experiencing extreme emotions, being taken advantage of by bad people, and a subconscious confusion of her desire for food and her desire for love leading her to eat her entire family while tripping balls because of how happy she was on her birthday.

I don't know if she'll ever be redeemed but the plot hooks of a redemption arc are there.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

The childhood things were apparently done under a mental blackout. Waking up and discovering all her friends were just "gone" then warped her view of things. It's... troubling.

I am positive she knows but wont admit it to herself. The Giants know and I doubt they didnt spread the word. Also the devil fruit power is a huge give away.

• Options
    It was set up in a very obvious way but the scene wasn't explicitly shown so there might be a chance for an extreme Oda twist down the road?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Another point of messed up backstory is the fact that her mother figure was a slaver who was planning to sell her.

• Options
    There might also be a chance of Luffy or someone punching Big Mom so hard that she does that Cell thing in dragon ball

This discussion has been closed.