As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I was supposed to leave my [job] at noon

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    s8bjpm6i5g6n.jpeg

This feels like an all time low.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Update on bartender who got stiffed last week: He keeps giving me 12 oz beer orders in a pint glass.

Tip your servers, people!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    "Employee Engagement Committee" is some dystopian capitalist nightmare shit.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    "Employee Engagement Committee" is some dystopian capitalist nightmare shit.

I think the term is a pretty standard one in corporations. I guess that means we're in a dystopian capitalist nightmare? Yeah, that checks out...

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    But really the note at the bottom is what sells it: "Btw, we're not paying for any of this shit, buy your own drinks, you animals."

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Wait

So they're inviting you to come... Spend your own money on bad entertainment

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Bingo more like Bin...go anywhere else.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I miss the parties work used to pay for - they've become a lot more rare.

And now our CEO is the former CFO, so I'm expecting that to dry up even further >_>

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You know how you love spending time with your coworkers? Well come to this event and pay to spend time with them!

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Got connected with a cool person working for the City and doing interesting work through a classmate and colleague. She told me about some jobs opening up, and when only one did I shot her an email (which I had to guess -- turns out it's easy to figure out City email if you have the name of the person) and she said that they'd be hiring another person (less seniority, which is kinda what I need) but that I should send her my resume to look at and that she'll send it around. Hoping to hear back that she thinks I'm qualified for the position to open soon, cause 1) it's really interesting work and 2) would give me a solid in for the position and 3) pays nicely. But even if not the fact that she'd be willing to send it around is just awesome.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I miss the parties work used to pay for - they've become a lot more rare.

And now our CEO is the former CFO, so I'm expecting that to dry up even further >_>

My wife's company gives her a few hundred bucks every quarter for exactly this. So long as she provides receipts they trust her to know what they'd enjoy.

Which is usually a trip to Dave and Buster's with some party platter and two free drinks.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    At work (still sick) and come in to 3 shitty passive aggressive emails from the boss, still no idea if I have coverage on Monday (our busiest day with an inventory due), and little movement on the positions I applied for that I need placement in by next month.

I am telling every customer that comes through these fucking doors that I am sick and forced to be here.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    You know how you love spending time with your coworkers? Well come to this event and pay to spend time with them!

I like my coworkers!

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Nothing will ever crystalize capitalist hell how when I worked for the travel agency in my previous job, I got somehow roped into a massive conversation with the manager of the devs, the office manager who handled our site and the 2nd owner of the company. The issue? We were remodeling one of the buildings to make more space so we could hire a bunch more devs to get our travel portal offerings up to snuff and the discussion turned to the amenities we could get set up in the building. After the office manager and owner balked/refused to maybe convert one of the smallest offices into a rec/game/relaxing room for the devs, the discussion then turned to what kind of snacks/beverages we were planning to install.

Dev Manager - So yeah we really need to get something in here for folks, can we get some coffee subscription service added on to our water service? It shouldn't cost too much, or maybe one of those brewing kiosks that makes powdered coffee/lattes at least so they don't have to keep leaving the building for Starbucks you know?

Office Manager - I don't know if we can do that really-
    Owner - Too expensive, we're already paying for the Arrowhead water, they can buy their own coffee.

*Dev Manager and I Exchange a look*

Dev Manager - You do realize that not offering some amenities like this makes it really hard to hire devs right? Especially being so close to los angeles, we're losing a ton of folks to google and facebook right now.

Owner - Well what about Keurig machine then? Those don't cost all that much.

Dev Manager - Ok but what about the actual coffee pods?

Owner - It's your team's budget you figure out.

Dev Manager - Ok well what about sodas or something like that?

Owner - Like I said, it's your team, your budget you figure out how you want to handle it.

Dev Manager - But this building is accessible and is used by other departments, especially for the conference and meeting rooms, people do use that kitchen in our building aside from ourselves. Are we supposed to padlock the coffee to prevent them from taking it or what?

Owner ended up just buying a bog standard coffee pot from target as a final concession to the whole thing and a pack of 100 filters. I'm honestly not surprised we couldn't keep devs worth a damn if they were skinflinting that hard on freaking coffee.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the company I work for used to be owned by a crown corporation, meaning making money was if anything a bit annoying- mostly we existed to serve our clients. That meant they'd do stuff like once in a while rent out a movie theatre on the morning of a big premier so that we could see it together before most anyone else, and then take us out and buy us food and unlimited drinks.

We got sold to a publically traded company, and I'm sad that those kinds of perks just don't exist anymore. Currently we mostly go out for food and drinks and there's less food and drink tickets, which I do realize is still pretty good. I'm just waiting to see if they're taking the perks away slowly until there are none left, or if this is their compromise. I'm betting on the former, sadly.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Did anyone else know that it's not a law in Pennsylvania for employers to give their full time employees a lunch?

Fucking hell

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I like my coworkers!

you should hear what they say about you

• Options
    I continue to be baffled that the military has more liberal work policies than a lot of America.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Got connected with a cool person working for the City and doing interesting work through a classmate and colleague. She told me about some jobs opening up, and when only one did I shot her an email (which I had to guess -- turns out it's easy to figure out City email if you have the name of the person) and she said that they'd be hiring another person (less seniority, which is kinda what I need) but that I should send her my resume to look at and that she'll send it around. Hoping to hear back that she thinks I'm qualified for the position to open soon, cause 1) it's really interesting work and 2) would give me a solid in for the position and 3) pays nicely. But even if not the fact that she'd be willing to send it around is just awesome.

Awesome'ing so that something comes of it and you hear back shortly!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Did anyone else know that it's not a law in Pennsylvania for employers to give their full time employees a lunch?

Fucking hell

Indiana too as I found out working 16 hour no break shifts at the movie theater.

And movie theaters are overtime exempt too!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I continue to be baffled that the military has more liberal work policies than a lot of America.

it's wild to me that "there is no work for you to do so go home" is a sentence I only ever heard in the military

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Military's goal isn't to make more money than actually exists at any cost

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    After spending my whole day off yesterday in a Nyquil coma, I still don't feel good and tried to find someone to cover my shift. No dice.

I told my boss that I still feel very sick, but I guess I have to come in. She thanked me for "taking ownership".

Corona is going to fucking destroy this country.

I hope you coughed on her.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Fucking hell

What. Are people just expected to not eat?

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

it's wild to me that "there is no work for you to do so go home" is a sentence I only ever heard in the military

That's definitely more of a SeaBee thing. It's been a mixed bag for me ever since.

NCIS 100% supports that policy and I've taken advantage of it whenever I can. Nuts to just sitting at a desk for no reason.

• Options
    But even the lamer commands... You get an hour for lunch! It's a lunch hour! To eat lunch and do whatever!

• Options
    edited March 2020

That's definitely more of a SeaBee thing. It's been a mixed bag for me ever since.

NCIS 100% supports that policy and I've taken advantage of it whenever I can. Nuts to just sitting at a desk for no reason.

Well you summed up about 99% of my average work day currently.

Madican on
  • Options

I heard that here!

Mind you, when I was hired, the plan for start was that we'd have a team of four with me, another hire who started the same day, a senior validator, and our manager all working on validating some features that were put into a chip but never fully validated for a forked chipset product. It was basically a "we have an opportunity to do this and teach the new hires in a low-stakes environment where they'd be doing the actual work instead of being overshadowed by other team members." We were just waiting for the back-end folks to have an environment place set up for us to work in. And waiting. And waiting. And then the product was cancelled.

My first couple months were spent coming in an hour or two late, leaving an hour or two early, and just doing training on the computer and going on the Internet. Once it was cancelled, we were given roles in other projects, but I've gotta say....that was a pretty kickass first three months after college to be paid for. I was relieved when it was over and I got to actually start doing stuff, but having my first bit living by myself being after graduation, in the summer, in California, with tons of free time really kicked ass.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

The military doesn't have to post quarterly growth to appease shareholders.

• Options

Fucking hell

Did you know that it's a law in Pennsylvania that if you're approaching a horse in a car and it's making the horse skittish you need to take your car apart piece by piece and hide it beneath the nearest bush?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Fucking hell

Did you know that it's a law in Pennsylvania that if you're approaching a horse in a car and it's making the horse skittish you need to take your car apart piece by piece and hide it beneath the nearest bush?

finally a law i can get behind

• Options

Fucking hell

That is a lot of guns and explosives in the laws for other states regarding cars

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

Fucking hell

What. Are people just expected to not eat?

You got it!

I do get a break some days, in that a person who doesn't care to know my job "covers" for me, I eat and watch YouTube, and then I have a half hour hole to climb out of when I get back

They work in the warehouse as a shift lead and it's clear they view it as a favor, not to me, but to my boss, who they're friends with, and they're temperamental and grouchy, and if they're having a bad day, I cannot find them to pass them the phone, and I don't get a lunch at all

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I like my coworkers!

you should hear what they say about you

I do!

We have regular happy hour get togethers where we shit talk each other.

Quid on
  • Options
    But even the lamer commands... You get an hour for lunch! It's a lunch hour! To eat lunch and do whatever!

I had this at half price books

it was paid, even!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I spent all morning getting a motion for summary judgment to go out for one of my attorneys. When you're not efiling, it takes SO MUCH LONGER

anyway, after that I was to start looking into what I need to do to get a case moved from superior court to federal court (this is a pro se guy who's extremely obnoxious and has already filed/dismissed a previous case with the same claims). Just as I was settling in to do that... We get an email from the guy saying he's voluntarily dismissing our clients from his lawsuit. Given how pro se plaintiffs, in my experience, are massive fucking dumbasses (also likely SovCits), I have to wonder if he realized that he didn't want to challenge us on it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Is this thread bugging out for anyone else? Have ready through it all and still showing 200+ new and anytime I click into it starts me back at the beginning.

I had to post before it'd stop doing that.

For other threads with the same issue, I found just posting wasn't enough. I had to visit the thread after posting by clicking the link in the sub forum instead of the bookmark in order to clear it.

Detailed instructions here.

• Options

yeah I think 'cause they tend to work 12/7 weeks as needed they're more willing to let their folks take it easy when nothing crucial is happening

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Home early what hahaha draw & clean weapons or practice drill & ceremony or sweep the motor pool or mow the grass again etc.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    After spending my whole day off yesterday in a Nyquil coma, I still don't feel good and tried to find someone to cover my shift. No dice.

I told my boss that I still feel very sick, but I guess I have to come in. She thanked me for "taking ownership".

Corona is going to fucking destroy this country.

I hope you coughed on her.

Oh. She'll stay out of my store for sure, thinking about mailing her an envelope full of coughs.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
This discussion has been closed.