As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I was able to get a ton of money doing a normal NG+ run and using the charms that increase resale value of health items. Getting $20k per G/R/Y herb vial on top of normal treasure left me with plenty of money to upgrade every weapon I like using. Fully upgrading the Blacktail made it my favorite pistol in the game again.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Keep in mind, the game, especially on Professional, has some questionable design decisions. While they really don't affect things too much on a normal playthrough, they can really fuck with doing things quickly.

RE4R is a great game but there were definitely shortcuts taken in some places. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to slam their heads against totally unnecessary walls.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    hadn't played for 2 weeks and was at the krauser fight so I went from there to beating the game in one sitting.

It's entirely possible the last boss is an interesting fight but also I could just buy a rocket launcher for it and it drops down by a red barrel to stun it immediately.

Then I jumped into a ng+ just because I wanted to do the bell trick. I just think it's so cool that that's in the game. I guess I'm on that "earn 2,000,000 pasetas" grind now

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I don't think there's ever any reason to fight the last boss legit unless you're on a challenge run like knife and handgun only. (that challenge says something about excluding bosses, but I'm guessing that's about Del Lago needing a harpoon, not that you're suddenly allowed other weapons, right?)

There's just no way that you can get that far and not have enough stuff or weapons to sell to buy the 'I win'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    hadn't played for 2 weeks and was at the krauser fight so I went from there to beating the game in one sitting.

It's entirely possible the last boss is an interesting fight but also I could just buy a rocket launcher for it and it drops down by a red barrel to stun it immediately.

Then I jumped into a ng+ just because I wanted to do the bell trick. I just think it's so cool that that's in the game. I guess I'm on that "earn 2,000,000 pasetas" grind now

I don't think it took me too long to get the charm that discounts rocket launchers by 20% which does work on the infinite model, FYI

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

I don't think it took me too long to get the charm that discounts rocket launchers by 20% which does work on the infinite model, FYI

That’s good to know, my charm rng first run was bad

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    This game is so stupid I love it so much. Every game should have a cart section.

Also the Ashley portion was so awesome in the remake, but I'm also glad there's a quick way to bypass it on future play throughs if desired.

They're just nailing every bit of what made the game so fun to play 20 years ago and improving in so many places. This is delightful gaming.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/g1cGHY1oZSI

Can confirm. Extremely accurate.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    My first playthrough, only the first couple beartraps got me.

My next playthrough, I hit like twelve goddamn bear traps, I swear they added new ones and some of them were invisible.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So I just finished RE4 Remake. I have never played the original as at the time I was not interested in the action heavy direction they took it, but I have a general knowledge of key moments because those are what people talk about or post on YouTube.

When Village came out was there a lot of commentary about how THAT is already basically a RE4 Remake? It seemed the same to me down to the village start, back woods people infected and forced to follow a religion, old European castles and ending in a heavily industrial area? It might be just because they look so alike due to asset reuse but playing through Rem4ke I just kept being reminded of things they basically lifted for Village. Visually it's just so bland, muted colors, wood, mud, rocks, repeat.
    It's a fine action game, it is too long for what it is which is pretty repetitive battle arenas. There are some more unique set pieces like the house invasion but by the time you're at weirdly glossy modern fortress mixed with muddy old world stuff it had seriously got old and the more unique enemies are few and far between.

I have heard obviously about the RE4 original Ashley upskirts and flirting but I thought she was handled well in this version at least, believably coming into her own.

My biggest disappointment is the world building. Like Village, there's basically no lore, there is the odd letter but most stuff you have to infer and I much more appreciate reading about experiments and the results, and Village and RE4 did the same thing which is pretty much nothing, then a lab lore dump of SOME but not all things. There's no explanation for why the lab would be where it is, they say "oh the important stuff is up there" but then the important stuff is the chapel, the lab, and the dock apparently, and why would Saddler ever allow for a device that removes the Plagas? I can't honestly remember if RE1-3 were more lore heavy but I'm sure they were, lots of last messages and things, but in those games you don't need as much. It's easy to understand Wesker's greed leading to an outbreak or Birkin's... well greed leading him to inject himself in what is a relatively real world setting. But 4 and Village for some reason use these old world settings and religions and I don't understand the purpose of them when Saddler/Mushroom lady already control everyone. Basically the religion in Village was bad and it's lifted from 4. I'm sure there will be notes I missed but when what you do find is "Ashley abduction plan" it's not operating at a top tier anyway. What is the parasite's purpose? Is it controlling Sadler, is Sadler controlling it? I have no idea.

Also there's never a baseline established for the infected. They're already infected, where are the stories of them before the infection, where are the examples of people we know are uninfected being infected and changing? Even one person thanking us for freeing them? They're just fodder. The end credits seems to do this but it's too little too late.

It's also just really hard to play on KBAM, I rarely seemed to get the evade/melee prompts that are so prevalent in RE4 original videos.

Also fuck those bug things.

• Options
    Yeah I think you're coming to the wrong franchise and even the wrong developer if you want deep lore and plot development. That's not really Capcom's bag on the whole. From my experience with Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Devil May Cry, and Street Fighter franchises their characters and stories tend to be of the schlocky action movie variety. Leon in the original RE4 was entertaining mostly on accident and though he's improved in the remake they still made him a corny dork because Resident Evil at its core is more silly than it is thrilling.

• Options
    RE has always been a B-movie plot, they've just had more of a budget to do it with.

• Options
    I get that not everyone is into the dumb fun of Fast and Furious movies, but if you go see one expecting an airtight plot you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    honestly, i think RE4R does okay
    you get a lot of background for the origin of the plaga and illuminados cult (plaga were discovered in the mines, eventually beaten back by the salazar family's military and sealed away, the cult banished to the island while experimenting on the few remaining plagas and attempting to arm up and regain control over the castle and mines, and then village stuff with notes about luis and mendes. you don't see anyone cured of the plaga because it's not possible after a certain point, it needs to be stopped before the parasite completely infests the host.

i don't think saddler actually knows about the laser, because he's surprised when leon isn't subject to control in the final confrontation.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Yeah, original RE4 basically was just a fun romp through a lot of set pieces that built from steady survival to completely over-the-top action. I don't think the writers originally cared to make it an airtight story with the depth of lore that many games have these days, and it still worked because it was a B-Movie and they knew it. There's a cart ride section, cheesy one-liners, roundhouse kicks and suplexes.

The remake added or clarified or even modified a few things successfully to flesh out the characters and provide motivation for their actions. Louis is a big success this go-round and actually making you care for him. The video in the spoiler below is long but goes into the new "lore" quite well and puts on display a lot of what I missed in my play-through.

I loved it because the action and gameplay, maybe repetitive, was still a lot of fun for me!

Video:

• Options
    has anyone done the pro S+ run in re4 yet

just started it and only made to my first save at the beginning of chapter 2

i am getting spanked, even following the guides. was not prepared for how much the starter guns feel like BB guns

• Options
    Yeah, it's been a bit, though. I barely made it, so I may not be the most helpful.

• Options
    Honestly, if you can make it through the village fight in Pro, you can do the rest.
    I tend to watch speedruns of it, then try to copy what they do. I end up taking double their time of course, but that's still usually enough to comfortably get S+. Even if you can't match how they do their fights, the routes and shortcuts are mostly easy enough to get you ahead.

• Options
    ended up restarting from the top and having a much worse village but better everything else. was hoping to improve the time but it was probably a wash. i did make it to the next save before del lago after a few tries. got lucky with a few grenade spawns just before fish farm and used those to clear out a few groups blocking the way out. started leaning on the extra weapons/deluxe weapons more too; the sentinel is a step up from the unupgraded SG9; i used the ammo out of the handcannon and skull shaker and sold those off. used us most of the primal knife durability and sold that off. switched over to the money briefcase. the extra weapon upgrades are a godsend. feels like i'm in a much more manageable spot. not sure how i'm doing for healing or time though. i'm at fifty minutes so far, which feels like a big chunk of time for only two chapters.

• Options
    What scared me the most about attempting pro was the boat boss fight. I find everything about it clunky as hell and the fact that you have to quit the game before reloading a reset the continue timer I know its not going to be worth it for me.

• Options
    damn i should have sold off the combat knife and kept the primal knife

was thinking the upgrades on the base knife would be cheaper, but actually comparing the two, i probably could get away with just running fewer upgrades in the primal knife overall since the base damage and durability are higher.

• Options
    made it through the cabin fight

what a fucking nightmare

i burned an extra save to have one right in front of it because it took me like 20 tries and i have barely any ammo left

• Options
    update: i've hobbled through the bella sisters and limped through mendez and now i'm at the water hall with my chicago sweeper

i'm in there now baby

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I haven't been following the news cycle very closely for this game. Has there been any word on when the Ada Wong DLC pack is going to be released? Or when the PSVR2 patch will drop?

• Options
    edited July 2023
    supposedly they added, or are soon adding steam achievements on the pc version, so something might be coming out soonish (a few months?), whether its the ada dlc or a mercs update

Elendil on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Wow, that looks really good!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    That's the cool thing about live action FMV, it ages a lot better than CGI intros.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Anybody got any random tips and tricks for somebody about to play Village for the first time, and in VR to boot? I haven't yet been brave enough to start the game proper, I've just been messing around with the shooting gallery trying to get used to things and all the settings. Dominant hand seems pretty obvious. I'm right handed and would obviously prefer everything on my right hand. Dominant eye is a bit weird though. My left eye is the dominant one, and I see what the system does, it centers the aiming on that screen. But being right handed and left eyed makes sight aiming feel off. The pistol is fine but the shotgun feels like I'm holding it up to my nose and bracing against my chin. I tried right eye, and in a way I guess it's more natural that I'd be closing my left eye and aiming with my right. The other option would be to just free aim the shotgun with one hand. Pity you can't Terminator-style rack the shotgun with one hand though. I'm just curious if anybody else has this weird hand-eye issue going on as well.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I really don't want to throw shade at Ada's new VA(I'm blaming direction, not her), but wow, the difference is night and day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug4h-3qTd1E&t=118s

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Oof, her VA for RE4 was like... original RE1 bad.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    is separate ways paid or free?

Also if the mercenaries update is literally just two extra characters and a level or two, come on

Prohass on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    is separate ways paid or free?

Also if the mercenaries update is literally just two extra characters and a level or two, come on

It's 10 bucks.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I assume it’s going to be a bit more substantial than the original then hopefully, but I’m up for more re4

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    God, I don't know if this happened to anyone else but I burned out extremely quickly on RE4make despite feeling that it was an excellent game and remake. I think the problem was that it just perfectly matched my nostalgia glasses view of the original, and I'd already played the original to death, so why keep playing it?

The DLC gives me a good excuse to jump back in, at least.

• Options
    I fear for the response if Ada's voice acting is still mediocre since there's gonna be a lot more of it. That and people are pricks.