As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Resident Evil] Are you a bad enough dude to save the President's daughter... again?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    never die wrote: »
    Demo spoilers:
    the moment Nemesis leapt in front of me, I knew I was fucked. I pulled out the shotgun, and sprinted my ass through the map, ripping through zombies as they appeared.

Did anyone else, using their slider, end up with the game being too fucking dark? Like much darker than even 2 was all the time.

Oh I always make sure to ignore their brightness slider suggestions

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Demo feels pretty good. I'm really bad at dodging, but I did a perfect dodge one time to escape death. So that felt great. Also I don't remember Nemesis being able to fuckin' teleport!? I ran around in a circle to dodge him and he showed up in some other building. He's super strong too, two hits and I was in the red. I also only found like 6 or 7 of those statues, lol.

Ready for the full game now! Bring on, April 3rd!

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I think, possibly due to the unbreakable knife, they may have made zombies tougher to get prone than in RE2. If so, that’s definitely going to change how I approach encounters.

Also, is there any type of reward for plinking all of the bobble heads?

Javen wrote: »
    I think, possibly due to the unbreakable knife, they may have made zombies tougher to get prone than in RE2. If so, that’s definitely going to change how I approach encounters.

Also, is there any type of reward for plinking all of the bobble heads?

Possibly in the base game. I assume if it was a demo bonus somebody would have found it by now

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The Tyrant in RE2 remake is making the whole thing stressful

I can barely go a couple of rooms before he’s back to stomping after me

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So I loved RE3, but axing Mercenaries mode kinda makes me not want to bother? That was a lot of the fun for me, and their asymmetrical pvp replacement isn't the same.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

With a couple exceptions, he does play fair! If you break line of sight and go quietly, he will lose track of ya.

Oh brilliant
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular

That's what he's there for!

Some spoiler-free tips if you're having trouble, but spoiling just in case you'd rather not have the tips
    In a vacuum, Mr. X is not a threat. What he DOES excel at is conveying the sort of ever-presence that is supposed to unnerve you enough to make other mistakes when traversing previous rooms with X as an additional variable. Zombies are easy. Lickers are easy. But Mr. X urges you to book it from point A to point B, because scary foot steps and not being able to kill him, which makes zombies and Lickers way tougher to deal with. Resist the urge to run directly away, don't panic, and always know your escape routes.

As you probably know, Mr X heavily relies on noise. Shoot a gun and he books it VERY fast to your location. Running also heavily narrows down his patrol routes.

Shooting off his hat makes him faster and more aggressive when you do encounter him.

Downing him is really, really, REALLY not worth it. It does help you get some distance but it is NEVER worth the ammo. If you want to shoot your guns, use them on the regular moops in the hallways to make traversing them with Mr X on your tail less hectic.

Seriously, don't panic. He's slow, and pretty dumb, and aside from higher difficulties, if you manage to lose him, he mostly just patrols around the same floor/wing until something else draws him away.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

That's what he's there for!

Some spoiler-free tips if you're having trouble, but spoiling just in case you'd rather not have the tips
    In a vacuum, Mr. X is not a threat. What he DOES excel at is conveying the sort of ever-presence that is supposed to unnerve you enough to make other mistakes when traversing previous rooms with X as an additional variable. Zombies are easy. Lickers are easy. But Mr. X urges you to book it from point A to point B, because scary foot steps and not being able to kill him, which makes zombies and Lickers way tougher to deal with. Resist the urge to run directly away, don't panic, and always know your escape routes.

As you probably know, Mr X heavily relies on noise. Shoot a gun and he books it VERY fast to your location. Running also heavily narrows down his patrol routes.

Shooting off his hat makes him faster and more aggressive when you do encounter him.

Downing him is really, really, REALLY not worth it. It does help you get some distance but it is NEVER worth the ammo. If you want to shoot your guns, use them on the regular moops in the hallways to make traversing them with Mr X on your tail less hectic.

Seriously, don't panic. He's slow, and pretty dumb, and aside from higher difficulties, if you manage to lose him, he mostly just patrols around the same floor/wing until something else draws him away.

I am playing on the highest available difficulty.

I think I just didn’t know how to deal with him early on. After he first appeared I lured him out to the rooftop and shot him with acid until he knelt down, and I figured I had a good while before he popped back up. By the time I made it back to the lobby, he had already caught up to me again, and it made me feel like he was going to be right up my ass the whole rest of the game.

And to be fair, he kind of has been. But since I stopped running everywhere and stopped trying to kill everything, it’s been a bit more manageable.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Wait is that part about his hat true?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I think he's only faster during the encounter where you first knock off his hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ltXOYCANU

Got some spoilerth
    Nemesis has a new form - could be the grand showdown no longer takes place in the sewage treatment plant?

Also Kendo and Marvin making appearances. Pretty excited to see the RPD in this one - expecting some cool chase scene with Nemesis wrecking the joint, fully expecting he destroyed the showers. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    It looks like they're taking the opportunity to take more advantage of the original settings and tidy the plot up a bit. I wonder if they do go into Code Veronica next if it will be anything like the original or they'll do a completely revised universe. Scrapping 5 and 6 wouldn't be a big loss and 7 is pretty much in its own continuity already.

Okay I finished Claire’s campaign. It says I unlocked Leon 2? Or something. Should I do Leon 1 first? What do I do next? HALP.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Okay I finished Claire’s campaign. It says I unlocked Leon 2? Or something. Should I do Leon 1 first? What do I do next? HALP.

If you wanna go at it, do Leon 2nd Run. The stories for Claire and Leon are mostly incompatible, what-if narratives when compared to one another, so you'll play both to see how the alternate story goes. The 2nd Run remixes the game so you don't play the exact stuff over again.

(This is contrasted with the original game where A and B were complementary scenarios.)

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Claire 1 + Leon 2 also gives you the true final boss scenario (or Leon 1 + Claire 2)

uc3ufTB.png
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Prior warning; 2nd Scenarios give you a different primary handgun, which doesn't use normal 9mm bullets.
    It also removes 9mm bullets from the world, replacing them with the new ammo.
    So if you want to use your normal handgun, you'll have to create your own ammo for it (and there's no way to create more of the new ammo type, you have to find it lying around).

It's less of a problem than it sounds (especially for Leon), as by now you'll know the game well enough that you can probably switch to the shotgun as your main weapon fairly early on.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is there a reward for finding the 20 bobbleheads in the RE3 demo? Anything that will carry over into the full game?

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is there a reward for finding the 20 bobbleheads in the RE3 demo? Anything that will carry over into the full game?

Nothing that carries over. You get 100 Ambassador points, which are apparently only good for changing your Ambassador profile icons.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I only finished Leon's story in RE2 on the PS4 and started Claires. Just pikced this up on PC and other than the woeful performance dips, game looks amazing. Replaying on Normal instead of Hard because god damn was that a slog having never played the game before. I'll redo on Hard when I have time, but just want to finish this up before Friday.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Played the RE3 demo only briefly just to see how it runs on the One X. Good stuff. I didn’t want to spoil too much or the early part of the game, so I already uninstalled it for fear of being weak and playing more. Graphics are so damn good!

Any of y’all gonna be trying Project Resistance at release?

I probably won't even touch Project Resistance until I've completed the campaign.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Any of y’all gonna be trying Project Resistance at release?

Absolutely. Probably the first thing I play unless there's some campaign rewards for Resistance.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Hey guys, here's a remaster of your remaster, so you can remaster while you wait for the remaster!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVVxd7W2TGs
    Link to the mod is in the description.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Finally getting around to playing RE2 Remake. I really have to resist the urge to play this like RE4/5/6. These fucking zombies are bullet spongey as shit. Is there a way to tell when they are actually dead?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    So is the knife a joke weapon in Resident Evil 1?

Because the first zombie you encounter killed me twice so far today.

I have now spent an ink ribbon literally in the first playable room in the game (the dining room) just so I don't have to watch the intro over and over.

Why do I suck at this series so much?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Finally getting around to playing RE2 Remake. I really have to resist the urge to play this like RE4/5/6. These fucking zombies are bullet spongey as shit. Is there a way to tell when they are actually dead?

Explode their head, or if they're on the ground hit them until they stop moving.
    RE2make's secret is that the zombies are so bullet spongey to encourage you to only fully kill zombies when absolutely necessary - if they're located in an area that you're going to be passing through a lot, for example. Knee shots are, in most cases, vastly more effective than headshots because they're better at staggering zombies and allow you to run past them more easily.

The RE3 demo didn't seem to have zombies anywhere near as spongey, so either the teams didn't share this design goal or they collectively decided to move away from it after RE2 wrapped.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Drez wrote: »
    So is the knife a joke weapon in Resident Evil 1?

Because the first zombie you encounter killed me twice so far today.

I have now spent an ink ribbon literally in the first playable room in the game (the dining room) just so I don't have to watch the intro over and over.

Why do I suck at this series so much?

It's not necessarily a joke, it's just that that's a sucky spot to fight a zombie and you are literally just supposed to run away the way you came. When you go back that way, the zombie will be set up differently and is easier to dodge. And the RE1 controls and camera angles are rough, trying to kill that first zombie with a knife without having a really good handle on the controls would be a huge hassle.

90% of the time in RE1, the answer to "should I kill this zombie?" is no. The real enemy is the various locked doors and puzzles keeping you from escaping, most of the enemies in the game are only there to distract you or stress you into making a mistake.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    You know the one thing that really confused/bugged me about RE1 Remake as Jill
    The initial zombie you meet where you turn around and run out back into the dining hall to have barry blows it away with his big gun and Jill and Barry start to head back out to the main entrance way as you go to enter you get a scene where the zombie is implied to get up and go back into the room it came from. It always confused me because that's such a weird thing for it to do when logically it should have went straight for Jill and barry again.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    You know the one thing that really confused/bugged me about RE1 Remake as Jill
    The initial zombie you meet where you turn around and run out back into the dining hall to have barry blows it away with his big gun and Jill and Barry start to head back out to the main entrance way as you go to enter you get a scene where the zombie is implied to get up and go back into the room it came from. It always confused me because that's such a weird thing for it to do when logically it should have went straight for Jill and barry again.
    I mean, it was just eating a yummy corpse and heard someone was in trouble. When it went to check, it got shot. Can’t blame it for going back to the less painful, non-moving meal.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Much like all Resident Evil's. . .I don't remember anything about RE3 beyond the Tyrant (and a fight in a plane. . .I think). However playing through RE2 and having played RE:Make. . .I hope there's more emphasis on puzzling. I feel like the puzzles take a progressively further back seat (and a bit of a reliance on Mr. X) as we tick up in the Evil's and that's a shame.

You might be thinking of CV:X there. That one featured a very tense Tyrant boss fight on a plane!

Oh brilliant
    Burnage wrote: »

Explode their head, or if they're on the ground hit them until they stop moving.
    RE2make's secret is that the zombies are so bullet spongey to encourage you to only fully kill zombies when absolutely necessary - if they're located in an area that you're going to be passing through a lot, for example. Knee shots are, in most cases, vastly more effective than headshots because they're better at staggering zombies and allow you to run past them more easily.

The RE3 demo didn't seem to have zombies anywhere near as spongey, so either the teams didn't share this design goal or they collectively decided to move away from it after RE2 wrapped.

The way REmake2 scales enemy health is very complicated and based on how well youre performing.

Im sure people will similarly dissect 3make but from what I played zombies are more resistant to your pistol and knife than before

My experience with the RE3 demo is that the normal zombies seem a lot more alert too. They seemed harder to sneak past.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm wondering how much of a difference there's going to be between the demo and the main game.
    Like, in the demo I had enough ammo to take out everything I met until Nemesis showed up, and it just took one grenade to stun him long enough for me to dash to the end.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    There's enough ammo in RE2 to kill basically everything, though you shouldn't try to.

A zombie you can expect to take 8-12 handgun bullets, though some spawns do have much lower health values (there's some that always die in 1 hit).

All locational damage has equal weight towards their overall health pool, with limbs having subpools towards their individual destruction. Shooting one leg until it comes off is a good beginners strat because crawling zombies can't open doors and follow you, and are very slow and easy to avoid. The flip side is that a critical headshot is an instant kill.

Crawling zombies can also easily be finished off with a knife.

If you're playing as Claire, the submachine gun is the best weapon in the game for shooting legs off.
    If you're playing as Leon, just use the shotgun to headshot zombies at melee range because it's an instant kill 95% of the time on hardcore.

Please note the shotgun is actually pretty bad for bosses and the like, it's absolute best use is headshotting zombies and 1 shot-ing dogs.

e: also, never kill a licker. Just stay calm.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    What

Zombies take 8-12 bullets to kill

what

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Ugh, this is disappointing.
    The VG247 review – A step backwards 3/5
    Eurogamer – “The Resident Evil 3 remake, like the original upon which it is based, is inferior to its predecessor.”
    PC Gamer – 58/100
    PCGamesN – 7/10
    USGamer – 3.5/5
    IGN – 9/10
    GameSpot – 6/10
    Techradar – 4.5/5
    The Verge – “It feels more like an expansion to 2 than an entirely new game.”
    Polygon – “Capcom’s latest remake is once again excellent, but safe and short.”
    Ars Technica – “What we are left with is a game that concludes at the 6.5-hour mark with little incentive to retread.”
    Cnet – “…it doesn’t offer the same value as the second game’s remake.”
    At this point I assumed Resident Evil 3 would be one long, tense game of cat and mouse against a dynamic and unpredictable enemy. But, sadly, this is far from the case. That first run-in with the Nemesis is not only more scripted than it first appears, but basically a one-off set-piece in disguise. And for the remainder of the game the creature is promptly relegated to cutscenes and pedestrian boss battles, which is deeply disappointing.