As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Resident Evil] RE4HD is finally in the wild!

13468952

Posts

  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Ugh, this is disappointing.
    The VG247 review – A step backwards 3/5
    Eurogamer – “The Resident Evil 3 remake, like the original upon which it is based, is inferior to its predecessor.”
    PC Gamer – 58/100
    PCGamesN – 7/10
    USGamer – 3.5/5
    IGN – 9/10
    GameSpot – 6/10
    Techradar – 4.5/5
    The Verge – “It feels more like an expansion to 2 than an entirely new game.”
    Polygon – “Capcom’s latest remake is once again excellent, but safe and short.”
    Ars Technica – “What we are left with is a game that concludes at the 6.5-hour mark with little incentive to retread.”
    Cnet – “…it doesn’t offer the same value as the second game’s remake.”
    At this point I assumed Resident Evil 3 would be one long, tense game of cat and mouse against a dynamic and unpredictable enemy. But, sadly, this is far from the case. That first run-in with the Nemesis is not only more scripted than it first appears, but basically a one-off set-piece in disguise. And for the remainder of the game the creature is promptly relegated to cutscenes and pedestrian boss battles, which is deeply disappointing.

    Funny, I might actually play it this time around. I'm one of the weird ones I guess in that I hate the AI chases you stuff. Mr. X ruined all tension in RE2 remake as it turns into a mad dash to lose him before you can continue on with the game.

    My friend sent this to me last week when we were talking about RE3 and I pretty much died laughing:

    For me, we are still too far away AI wise for this to provide horror or scary moments; the AI is just too dumb.

    Not that I think AI in games is incredible, I know it's not and not even actually AI at all. But this example isn't the AI being dumb. It's a game design decision. He can't follow you into safe rooms. I mean, if he waited outside and instakilled you as soon as you opened the door, would that make the game better?

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I don't trust reviews anymore.

    There have been so many game's in the past that i gave a miss to because some review said it was butts then randomly went back and played and was like "What the crap this game is tits!"

    No game epitomizes this for me like Alpha Protocol, which to this day is still criminally underrated in offline circles.

    And you can't buy it on Steam anymore. Ugh.

    joshofalltradesBurnage
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It’s definitely a part where you can see the zippers on the monster costume, as it were, but I agree it’s necessary. You need times to breathe, and you need to be able to save in a place without threats; otherwise runs can be lost by saving at an inopportune time

    joshofalltrades
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Personally I’m excited because I’m very happy with what is essentially more REmake 2. I hope they support it post-release more, but Capcom seems pretty meh about doing DLC in general.

    Yeah they'd rather just release it a year later and pretend its a full stand alone game.

  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Ugh, this is disappointing.
    The VG247 review – A step backwards 3/5
    Eurogamer – “The Resident Evil 3 remake, like the original upon which it is based, is inferior to its predecessor.”
    PC Gamer – 58/100
    PCGamesN – 7/10
    USGamer – 3.5/5
    IGN – 9/10
    GameSpot – 6/10
    Techradar – 4.5/5
    The Verge – “It feels more like an expansion to 2 than an entirely new game.”
    Polygon – “Capcom’s latest remake is once again excellent, but safe and short.”
    Ars Technica – “What we are left with is a game that concludes at the 6.5-hour mark with little incentive to retread.”
    Cnet – “…it doesn’t offer the same value as the second game’s remake.”
    At this point I assumed Resident Evil 3 would be one long, tense game of cat and mouse against a dynamic and unpredictable enemy. But, sadly, this is far from the case. That first run-in with the Nemesis is not only more scripted than it first appears, but basically a one-off set-piece in disguise. And for the remainder of the game the creature is promptly relegated to cutscenes and pedestrian boss battles, which is deeply disappointing.

    Funny, I might actually play it this time around. I'm one of the weird ones I guess in that I hate the AI chases you stuff. Mr. X ruined all tension in RE2 remake as it turns into a mad dash to lose him before you can continue on with the game.

    My friend sent this to me last week when we were talking about RE3 and I pretty much died laughing:

    For me, we are still too far away AI wise for this to provide horror or scary moments; the AI is just too dumb.

    Not that I think AI in games is incredible, I know it's not and not even actually AI at all. But this example isn't the AI being dumb. It's a game design decision. He can't follow you into safe rooms. I mean, if he waited outside and instakilled you as soon as you opened the door, would that make the game better?

    oh I agree. I just couldn't stop laughing at that.

    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Resistance feels pretty broken right now, at least on Steam. Tutorial is bugged and unfinishable, matchmaking doesn't seem to be working. Not really a great sign when the game's officially releasing in three days.

    How is the tutorial bugged? Matchmaking definitely feels scuffed, but I've only had to wait five minutes to get into a match.

    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Resistance feels pretty broken right now, at least on Steam. Tutorial is bugged and unfinishable, matchmaking doesn't seem to be working. Not really a great sign when the game's officially releasing in three days.

    How is the tutorial bugged? Matchmaking definitely feels scuffed, but I've only had to wait five minutes to get into a match.

    The red core just didn't appear for me. I timed out trying to figure out where the damn thing was before reading that it's not showing up in some cases due to a bug.

  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    This demo is hard. I don't remember the ps game being this hard. And the knife seems useless in this. I just get grabbed.

  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The knife is useless as a combat weapon. It’s actually very useful to permanently kill zeds without wasting ammo after they’re down.

    KoopahTroopahurahonky
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Now when it come's to reviews this is one that i'd trust because the specific person has had a long standing passion for the series and i absolutely trust her judgement.

    Dark Raven XStabbity Stylemanwiththemachinegun
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Now when it come's to reviews this is one that i'd trust because the specific person has had a long standing passion for the series and i absolutely trust her judgement.


    She's right, it totally should've been called Valen-time.

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Carlos' lack of muzzle and trigger discipline in that subway cutscene subtly irks me every time.

    I also couldn't get the multiplayer to work, but the tutorial seemed pretty good. The MP seemed better than I'd expected. It'd be nice if we can get a DLC Mercenaries (ideally free DLC like RE2's assorted add-ins). I had already pre-ordered anyway, but I am confident in my expectations.

  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    How does the multiplayer work? Is there teams on both sides and rounds like left for dead, or is this totally different?

  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    RickRude wrote: »
    How does the multiplayer work? Is there teams on both sides and rounds like left for dead, or is this totally different?

    I've managed to get a few games in now; it's pretty fun. I think the easiest and only mildly inaccurate way to describe it is like Left 4 Dead with a player in charge of the AI director. Four survivors go through three rounds where they have to solve a puzzle, the solitary mastermind opposing them gets to lay traps, manipulate the environment and place monsters (including a Tyrant once it's charged up enough). They can also possess individual zombies to fight personally if they want to.

    There's some real potential for dickery as the mastermind. Stuff like laying a trap in front of a switch, turning a lift on when only half the party has entered it, and dumping two lickers and half a dozen zombies into a single locked room just because you can.

    Burnage on
    RickRudeStabbity StyleFencingsax
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    How does the multiplayer work? Is there teams on both sides and rounds like left for dead, or is this totally different?

    I've managed to get a few games in now; it's pretty fun. I think the easiest and only mildly inaccurate way to describe it is like Left 4 Dead with a player in charge of the AI director. Four survivors go through three rounds where they have to solve a puzzle, the solitary mastermind opposing them gets to lay traps, manipulate the environment and place monsters (including a Tyrant once it's charged up enough). They can also possess individual zombies to fight personally if they want to.

    There's some real potential for dickery as the mastermind. Stuff like laying a trap in front of a switch, turning a lift on when only half the party has entered it, and dumping two lickers and half a dozen zombies into a single locked room just because you can.

    Sounds pretty fun! I wonder if you'll run into the problem of people only wanting to be the mastermind though.

  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    How does the multiplayer work? Is there teams on both sides and rounds like left for dead, or is this totally different?

    I've managed to get a few games in now; it's pretty fun. I think the easiest and only mildly inaccurate way to describe it is like Left 4 Dead with a player in charge of the AI director. Four survivors go through three rounds where they have to solve a puzzle, the solitary mastermind opposing them gets to lay traps, manipulate the environment and place monsters (including a Tyrant once it's charged up enough). They can also possess individual zombies to fight personally if they want to.

    There's some real potential for dickery as the mastermind. Stuff like laying a trap in front of a switch, turning a lift on when only half the party has entered it, and dumping two lickers and half a dozen zombies into a single locked room just because you can.

    Sounds pretty fun! I wonder if you'll run into the problem of people only wanting to be the mastermind though.

    Probably not. If Dead By Daylight is any indicator, most people want to play survivors and few want to be the killer.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Too much pressure.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I just wonder what is up with all these 1 v 4 multiplayer games showing up. Like RE and a new Predator game dropping right next to each other and both seem kind of there? I dunno even Dead by daylight the one lasting success in the genre tends to get boring and they have a lot more variety in killers and environments than all the new games do.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I dunno, I dig asymmetry in multiplayer so I'm fine with it

    urahonky
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    It's kind of hard to judge Resistance's balance so far. The Mastermind seems very strong on the face of it but I think that's mostly because players don't really know what to do; as a survivor, in comparison, you literally can't do anything if your teammate picks up a key and doesn't realise that they have to use it to complete the level.

    I've gone up against competent teams a couple of times and it's almost felt impossible to catch them out. The maps are small enough and the Mastermind's regen system takes long enough that it's totally feasible for the survivor team to just run through a level without encountering much resistance. That might change, obviously, depending on skills and characters in the final release.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Its kind of the nature of these types of games. If the killer is too strong the survivors get steam rolled and don't have fun, killer too weak goes the opposite way. From what I've seen if the survivors work together the mastermind is boned. Like they can just farm your monsters to get more time and even if you down one you can't run the clock out.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
    Burnage
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I just want cooperative Raid Mode or Mercenaries mode. I don't care about competitive at all.

    WhiteZinfandelDixonVikingTrajan45urahonkyIgpx407CorriganXFencingsaxKristmas Kthulhu
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Preacher wrote: »
    Its kind of the nature of these types of games. If the killer is too strong the survivors get steam rolled and don't have fun, killer too weak goes the opposite way. From what I've seen if the survivors work together the mastermind is boned. Like they can just farm your monsters to get more time and even if you down one you can't run the clock out.

    Yeah man, I loved me some Natural Selection back in the day. But the game could swing wildly. It was constant, "Alien's are overpowered" complaints. But if you had a guild playing together, the Marines just steamrolled. Sadly it makes the genre rather niche and limited since the experience can fluctuate so wildly.

    It's normally better to start with cooperative modes so folks can get a handle on mechanics and gameplay, before introducing an asymmetric mode.

    Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    RickRude wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    How does the multiplayer work? Is there teams on both sides and rounds like left for dead, or is this totally different?

    I've managed to get a few games in now; it's pretty fun. I think the easiest and only mildly inaccurate way to describe it is like Left 4 Dead with a player in charge of the AI director. Four survivors go through three rounds where they have to solve a puzzle, the solitary mastermind opposing them gets to lay traps, manipulate the environment and place monsters (including a Tyrant once it's charged up enough). They can also possess individual zombies to fight personally if they want to.

    There's some real potential for dickery as the mastermind. Stuff like laying a trap in front of a switch, turning a lift on when only half the party has entered it, and dumping two lickers and half a dozen zombies into a single locked room just because you can.

    Sounds pretty fun! I wonder if you'll run into the problem of people only wanting to be the mastermind though.

    Probably not. If Dead By Daylight is any indicator, most people want to play survivors and few want to be the killer.

    Husband loves playing survivors in Dead by Daylight but I much prefer being one of the killers. I can't get enough of being the plague and hitting people with hail mary vomits that arc over walls.

    Viskod on
    joshofalltrades
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I just want cooperative Raid Mode or Mercenaries mode. I don't care about competitive at all.

    Outbreaaaaaaaaaaaaak!

    Gimme a new Outbreak please.

    Twitch: KoopahTroopah - Steam: Koopah
    Switch: 1639-6388-9968- PSN: Koopah089
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I just want cooperative Raid Mode or Mercenaries mode. I don't care about competitive at all.

    Outbreaaaaaaaaaaaaak!

    Gimme a new Outbreak please.

    Please stay inside, sir.

    joshofalltradesurahonkyAndy JoeKoopahTroopahKristmas Kthulhu
  • XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    Heads up, a bunch of Twitch streamers got permission to stream RE3 Remake early and have been doing so. Bawkbasoup and Carcinogensda are both working on Nightmare mode playthroughs and seem to be enjoying themselves so far. But just be careful of spoilers today if you're trying to go in blind.

    PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I’ve been thinking about getting this, but decided to hold off. The short campaign is really my sticking point, I feel like once I beat it in 5 hours or so I won’t go back to play it, and having played the online portion last year I just really didn’t have fun with it. It feels pretty janky and tacked on, can’t see myself playing more than a few rounds again. It just doesn’t have the depth of Dead By Daylight or similar. RE2 has frequently been on sale for $20, I can see picking up RE3 when it’s down to $30, but asking for $60 is just too much considering the amount of content

  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    I’ve been thinking about getting this, but decided to hold off. The short campaign is really my sticking point, I feel like once I beat it in 5 hours or so I won’t go back to play it, and having played the online portion last year I just really didn’t have fun with it. It feels pretty janky and tacked on, can’t see myself playing more than a few rounds again. It just doesn’t have the depth of Dead By Daylight or similar. RE2 has frequently been on sale for $20, I can see picking up RE3 when it’s down to $30, but asking for $60 is just too much considering the amount of content

    I've bought it (and it's downloading now!), but that's really because a) I don't exactly have much else to spend money on in self-isolation at the moment, and b) I feel like I underpaid for RE2.

    In normal times, after the initial reviews? Yeah, I'd have held off. The price is going to drop very quickly, I imagine.

  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Working on my first play-through of RE2 Remake and I hate Mr. X. Get off my ass for 2 seconds please so I can solve a damn puzzle.

    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Dark Raven XStabbity StyleKoopahTroopahXerinkTrajan45Andy Joe
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The Mr. X stuff doesn't last as long as I was lead to believe. It was still really cool though.

  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    So made it through roughly the first hour of RE 3 Remake:
    Holy shit that opening was good. I was not expecting Nemesis to cool aid man his way into Jill’s apartment. It was a fun rush.

    Brad got a much cooler death (at least so far) than he did in the original 3.

    Also I see how this could be even shorter than the original because you pretty quickly go through a lot of the original streets section of RE 3 in the opening scenes.

    Got through the demo area, Nemesis does not show up like he does in the demo.

    Nikolai is still a dick.

  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    The Mr. X stuff doesn't last as long as I was lead to believe. It was still really cool though.

    Depends on your character...
    for Claire he's just a problem in the RPD, for Leon Mr. X continues to show up in the Sewer (at least for the Ada section IIRC) and NEST.

    Oh brilliant
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So.... Yeah Nemesis really makes this game unfun. I'm not meant to fight him, right? I try to run past him but he just keeps hitting me over and over before I can even get up and recover.

  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    fighting nemesis out in the open is optional, but like in the original RE3 if you down him at certain points he drops loot

    when it's a boss fight, on the other hand, yea you gotta fight. when is it a boss fight? you'll know :)

    urahonkyKoopahTroopahXerink
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Alright thanks. I'll just need to get better at dodging. I feel like with Mr X you could dodge him easily enough but Nemesis jumps over you and grabs your feet. It's way more intense than I remember.

  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Having finished, I'm going to be that purist.
    Taking what is essentially the Terminator and at only the half way point turning him into a generic giant mutant dog enemy really ruins the character. None of the pursing stuff really matters in this one anyway because you are just always moving forward but they make the character both average and impotent. By giving Brad's death to a generic zombie, I don't think we see Nemesis successfully kill anyone of importance until already in his super dog stage and inexplicably underground ahead of us in NEST, where he kills Tyrell, so he doesn't actually ever succeed in killing a STARS member. They go to all this effort making him seem unstoppable early on, and they just toss it all away for a giant monster that you can't believably fight multiple times, so he's reduced to set pieces where he constantly has Jill in a killing blow only to throw her away or be really, really slow to try and kill her. And by taking away it's "humanity" so early on it just isn't as interesting. The best part of the ending of the original for me was that he was so damaged that he became basically a blob, and he was STILL trying to pursue her, it couldn't do anything but try to kill its targets no matter how badly it was destroyed. It's harder to have a personal rivalry with something that can barely fit into the same space as you.

    It's a real waste, because apart from not having him kill Brad much of his introduction was very T-800 and a cool way to show him already being on the pursuit.

    The rest of the game is serviceable but yeah, they fucked up what should be the centrepiece IMO.

    AlphaRomero on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Nemesis sucks. I got stunlocked by him at one point. The rest of the game seems good so far, though (about 2 hours in).

    urahonkyKoopahTroopah
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Jill's character model is incredible. I can't wait to see what they do with the next generation.

    BurnageStabbity StyleKoopahTroopahnever dieAndy Joe
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I was surprised the spider part was so early.

    I'm also a bit annoyed by Nemesis, but I think the biggest problem is all the new (...or not murdered) zombies in areas he's chasing me through. I can only dodge so frequently.

Sign In or Register to comment.