As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Coronavirus] Pandemic Thread - SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

1939495969799»

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    bets on movie studios following Universal's lead, releasing all their new movies online, Americans getting used to watching even new movies at home over however many months this takes to blow over, and then the traditional box office never recovers and countless theaters lay fallow?

I’d definitely see more new releases if I could buy them to stream on release day, especially if it’s cheaper than a cinema ticket to rent, or the same or a little more to buy.

Cinemas may take a huge hit, but it would be interesting to see if profits for the actual movies go up or down.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    So I have a sneaking suspicion based on the way things were worded in our communications with management that my company might try to encourage people to work from home but then go "Uh we appreciate the help but we don't count it as work because we didn't do something to officially classify you as working from home, so those hours don't count."

So I'm texting my boss who has explicitly told me she's defying the SIP order to come into the office tomorrow "Hey, just in case you're not using the system's work tracking, I'm clocking into actively working now, text me if you need me to rotate into any particular client" just so there's no ambiguity. If you think your employers might be fucky, you might want to consider the same.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Nah, you'll never replace an experience like seeing Endgame on opening night in a crowded theater. Straight-to-digital might grow in popularity, but theaters will still have a place for big social experiences surrounding cinema. They'll have to get creative about what they bring to the table surrounding the movie, but I think they've known that for a while now.

Speaking of social experiences:
    I really want to help my staff stay sane and connected to each other during the coming weeks (and potentially months) while we're working remotely. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm currently trying to make a point of sending out something weird/novel/intellectually stimulating at least once a day, to break up the monotony of quarantine. Puzzle games, marble racing YouTube channels, etc. This weekend I'll be running a Robot Unicorn Attack contest with a $10 prize.

Other things I'm considering:
    1. Scheduling hangouts over Netflix Party
    2. Diplomacy

But I'm gonna need more than that, LOL.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So, I decided to call my +70 year old parents, to see how they’re doing. Couldn’t get a hold of them for two days. So, I texted my dad.

Turns out they are on vacation in North Carolina. They never mentioned this to me, nor have they spoken to me in over a month. Dad doesn’t seem that concerned that he and mom in the ‘at risk’ group (thankfully they are both rather healthy) in a country that’s health care system is less than great.

Could be worse, they both love going to Italy.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Nah, you'll never replace an experience like seeing Endgame on opening night in a crowded theater. Straight-to-digital might grow in popularity, but theaters will still have a place for big social experiences surrounding cinema. They'll have to get creative about what they bring to the table surrounding the movie, but I think they've known that for a while now.

Speaking of social experiences:
    I really want to help my staff stay sane and connected to each other during the coming weeks (and potentially months) while we're working remotely. Does anyone have suggestions? I'm currently trying to make a point of sending out something weird/novel/intellectually stimulating at least once a day, to break up the monotony of quarantine. Puzzle games, marble racing YouTube channels, etc. This weekend I'll be running a Robot Unicorn Attack contest with a $10 prize.

Other things I'm considering:
    1. Scheduling hangouts over Netflix Party
    2. Diplomacy

But I'm gonna need more than that, LOL.

Oh god there's gonna be a movie premiere on Twitch someday soon isn't there

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    The UK government said to work from home if possible, whereas my workplace has said work from home if it's not possible to come into work. The managers also said they will be coming in, which to me looks like pressure to come in too. Corporate culture is awful at times like this.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Myabird, if you've got an updated OP feel free to blat out a new thread and I'll close this one.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    @Bogart check the other forum, we’re gonna do a thing. :p

Myabird, I’ll steal your work later.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    ATTENTION FORUMERS!

Posting this before the thread gets to 100, and it'll be reposted in the upcoming OP. Giving you a heads up, so you can help make this new system work.

--

Given the volume of discussion around this topic, we're gonna be doing things a bit differently until further notice. Instead of one thread, we'll be using two and a half threads.
    • An updates and information thread. News about response efforts, updates on the spread of the virus, new resources to keep track of news, political developments directly related to the virus, etc. No rumors, no twitter randos, do your best to make sure it's verified information before posting to this thread.
    • A general coronavirus discussion thread. How things are happening in your town, how you're doing, how your family is doing, and other things you don't think go into the updates thread this goes in the general thread.
    • The existing chat thread. There are lots of 'fun' or interesting things, posts tangentially related to the disease, cool videos, twitter posts, etc, that aren't news, or really something to discuss. Feel free to post them in the existing chat thread, because it's there for you, even if you don't usually post there. They're not all bad people. It's there, you might as well use it.

This should help us have some readable threads, given the current volume of posts.

This is an amazing idea but I need addresses to know where to send the free booze because I've never been more worried for the sanity of the mods.

I mean I guess aside from about 3:30am CST on 11/09/2016 that is.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The end we are seeking now is a longterm adjustment to social life that keeps the virus from spreading fast, until a medical response develops (either a vaccine or something that mitigates the terrible stage 2/3, the former has good odds but at least 12 months + mass vaccination time, the latter could develop faster but the path is less clear)

We will have corona deaths in the mean time. The question is if it's 10's or 1000's per day.

This will not last weeks. It will last months. Possibly many months.
    In one month, we may have enough data to find stability, but right now we don't know how that stability looks.

I think the lack of tests will cause significant delays

Every person in the country needs tested

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The end we are seeking now is a longterm adjustment to social life that keeps the virus from spreading fast, until a medical response develops (either a vaccine or something that mitigates the terrible stage 2/3, the former has good odds but at least 12 months + mass vaccination time, the latter could develop faster but the path is less clear)

We will have corona deaths in the mean time. The question is if it's 10's or 1000's per day.

This will not last weeks. It will last months. Possibly many months.
    In one month, we may have enough data to find stability, but right now we don't know how that stability looks.

I think the lack of tests will cause significant delays

Every person in the country needs tested

Weekly. Maybe monthly if they're not near any confirmed cases.

This discussion has been closed.