As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superpower Idol- Superhuman vision/Cold manipulation, Reality warping/Mind control

2»

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Time manipulation by far, because it's so cool. Want to put off studying for your test? No worries--you can play video games as long as you want.

Duplication vs. Invulnerability is harder. On the one hand, I want to have sex with myself. On the other hand, it would really suck to die in a car accident. There are also some sticky ethical considerations with duplication though--I mean, if these are really thinking, feeling copies of you then what rights do you have to terminate their existences when you reabsorb them?

All in all then, Invulnerability and Time Manipulation win.

MrMister on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I feel like we could start an entire separate thread on the implications of having sex with yourself.

Zek on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    Shinto wrote: »
    I went with invisibility/invincibility.

Because it would be cool to hunt Osama Bin Laden.
    You could do that much more easily with time manipulation. Just go to a place you know he's been, then go back to when he was there, then shoot.

Not cool enough.

Shinto on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Morning score update:

Duplication's just bouncing off of invulnerability, which leads 54-23.

Time manipulation is smacking the flavor out of invisibility's mouth, 64-13. Invisibility may never be pretty again.

I've been thinking- this group looks to be about dead. This is the first group, what say we just change the timeline to "three days or until we get bored with the current pairings, whichever occurs first"? Put invulnerability and time manipulation through and start the first round proper.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I concur.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    All righty, sounds like a plan. Play-in round over. Final scores:

Invulnerability 54, duplication 24.
    Time manipulation 65, invisibility 13.

We move into round 1 proper. I'm going to pick out pairings I want to do, on the theory that they're all gonna get done anyway and might as well start with ones I like. (Or pair awesome matches with boring ones so we don't have a really dead time.)

TODAY'S MATCHUPS:
    Superhuman vision vs. Cold/ice manipulation (Annandale-on-Hudson regional)
    Reality warping vs. Mind control (Deerfield regional)

You know what to do.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited May 2007
    Here's a question. Can mods reset the poll, or will we need a new thread?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    I might have to wait for the poll to expire. I could set the votes to zero and change the field names, but I don't know if that would allow people to vote again.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited May 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I might have to wait for the poll to expire. I could set the votes to zero and change the field names, but I don't know if that would allow people to vote again.
    Well, there's only one way to find out...

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    Okay; looks like it worked

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    It says I already voted.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Okay; looks like it worked
    Didn't work. It says I already voted. You reset the vote count but not the "who voted" list.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited May 2007
    Well, reality warping vs. mind control, that one's obvious. Reality warping. Why bother manipulating people, when you can manipulate reality itself? Besides, if you can change all of reality, wouldn't you be able to change people too? Hence, reality warping includes mind control (as well as any other superpower, actually).

Superhuman vision vs. cold manipulation, that one's harder. Superhuman vision is more passive: you can see anything, but you can't do anything about what you're seeing. Cold manipulation is active: you can actually do shit, like ice shileds, ice attacks, snow storms, snow men... Yeah, I'd go with cold manipulation.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I agree with Richy regarding reality warping. That basically includes mind control.
    But it also includes cold manipulation. So why have reality warping and cold manipulation? That's redundant. I'd rather be able to see more of reality to warp. I mean, I know I could just warp a hole in a wall to see what's behind it, but that's kind of a pain. Having that power passively is a little more convenient.
    Besides, reality warping plus superhuman vision? That's pretty close to omnipotence plus omniscience. So that basically makes you God.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, what exactly is reality warping?

Elendil on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wouldn't reality warping be used to gain every other power?

Couscous on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm guessing something along the lines of either Mister Mxyzptlk or Proteus (from X-Men). Basically, you can change anything.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited May 2007
    Hmm the reset still didn't work. Looks like you'll need a new thread, mtv

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    Yeah, what exactly is reality warping?

Agreed.

Also, mind control seems ethically dicey (but also has so much potential!)

MrMister on
    edited May 2007
    Reality warping? Think Scarlet Witch.

That. (And it says I already voted.)

Gosling on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Reality warping? Think Scarlet Witch.

That.

So, basically the powers of a god.

I will take reality warping.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Hmm the reset still didn't work. Looks like you'll need a new thread, mtv
    Okay, guess I'll go do that. Lemme migrate the OP.

Gosling on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    19991022h.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.