As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Animal Crossing: Putting the "social" back in "social-distancing."

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I ended up with Pashmina and Genji as my starting villagers.

ov4ol4rnvhho.png

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to play yet (stupid work... *rolls eyes*), but had a question for those that have...

I was under the impression from earlier comments and articles that whatever name you chose for your island would be appended with the word "Island", so I was planning on naming mine "Gilligan's", expecting the full name to be "Gilligan's Island." But from what I am seeing here this morning, that does not appear to be the case??

That's not a thing, yeah, your 10 characters are all you get for the name. People were confused by the Japanese version, which has always given you a choice of 1-character suffixes.
    I ended up with Pashmina and Genji as my starting villagers.

I played pretty much at midnight and some how I am a day ahead? My brother started today at 9am and he can’t use the dodo airlines and waiting for blathers to show up. I’m already the next step ahead. Did he not proc something?

Starting at midnight is the pro strat. The days start at 5AM, so you're now on day 2 while your brother's on day 1.

TamerBill on
    3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Haven't had a chance to play yet (stupid work... *rolls eyes*), but had a question for those that have...

I was under the impression from earlier comments and articles that whatever name you chose for your island would be appended with the word "Island", so I was planning on naming mine "Gilligan's", expecting the full name to be "Gilligan's Island." But from what I am seeing here this morning, that does not appear to be the case??

That's not a thing, yeah, your 10 characters are all you get for the name. People were confused by the Japanese version, which has always given you a choice of 1-character suffixes.

Son of a motherless goat... (not you, just a general expression of consternation)

EDIT: I think we have settled on Lilliput.

Ear3nd1l on
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    PSA for everyone, Nook takes donations of bugs and fish which triggers Blathers to show up. I was selling them for way too long before figuring that out!

Anyways, got my tent paid off, House and museum should be ready tomorrow. Went online and found a nice person to make me a pole so I can weed the other side of the river. Seeing all those weeds was making me crazy!!

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Another PSA, remember you can place stuff (including fish and bugs) outdoors if you run out of space in your place.

I've got a couple of fish sitting outside my tent waiting for Blathers to arrive.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I need to make an axe, but I must have sold the two stones that I had picked up on my island. Am i just screwed until tomorrow?

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Viskod wrote: »
    I need to make an axe, but I must have sold the two stones that I had picked up on my island. Am i just screwed until tomorrow?

I think once Nook gives you the recipe you can also just buy one directly from Timmy (Tommy?)

Edit: Also, not exactly a reliable way, but I did manage to pull up a stone while fishing. Pun was typically terrible, something about 'now it's mine...eral'

eMoander on
    Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    You can buy all of the flimsy tools from Timmy for bells, so you're not screwed if you can't craft them.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Ohh boy, that inventory expansion is so nice.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Once you get the shovel you can bang stones out of rocks. I found just donating as much as possible gets you the most DIY blueprints, and once you have a house and start taking donations for the storefront things start moving a bit.

edited March 2020
    Also if you have ten fruit to spare you can eat them all and just punch rocks

Local H Jay on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Also if you have ten fruit to spare you can eat them all and just punch rocks

This is amazing.

Hah, there's finally a use for those old boots you can fish up.

mKVU4co.jpg

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    These bee's can eat my ass.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    ED! wrote: »
    These bee's can eat my ass.

My favorite is when I try to dodge into a villagers home, but they aren't inside so I can't go in and just get stung

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    You can catch the bees if you're quick enough once you have a net!

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Another PSA, remember you can place stuff (including fish and bugs) outdoors if you run out of space in your place.

I've got a couple of fish sitting outside my tent waiting for Blathers to arrive.

There are safe from despawning or anything?

What is this I don't even.
    If you catch a really rare bug in your town center and your inventory is full, you have to let it go because you can't drop anything in town center. :(

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »

There are safe from despawning or anything?

Anything out in the world should be safe from despawning. Landscaping with outside furniture being a big part of the game!

If it does get bumped for any reason (like a house building) it should go to the box in Resident Services. If it gets bumped from there due to it being full it's gone for good, but the oldest stuff in there goes first.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited March 2020
    Can only the first registered player donate bugs and fish to Nook? Doesn’t seem to be an option for my kids.

Edit: Wow, Googling up what the ‘Resident Representative’ can do and other residents can’t, that’s a bit of a bum deal for the other players. They are the only one able to place most of the major buildings and structures from Museum down to bridges. Make sure the first account you play the game with is the one who will be playing most if sharing an island!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    we have Paula and Biff on our orange-covered island, Madora.

very disappointed that they basically made one person the low-key mayor again, everything else is pretty cool.

otzh4My.jpg

Hey man, just because I'm gonna cut down all your trees, mine all your ore, dig up all your flowers and leave your desolated island never to return doesn't mean you can call me a villain like that.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Kind of funny, once I got a net the first thing that happened was a tarantula attack. I’ll get my revenge later tonight.....

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    To catch a tarantula safely, only move towards it when it isn't doing its threat display. Just creep forward in between threats until it's in net range and it won't attack you.

Seems like rocks are going to be a major bottleneck for resources in a shared island. I sure hope a whole bunch spawn tomorrow as my daughter had hoovered the island clean today.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I sought out the old man of the sea to learn his secret fishing lore.

kcqYsB5.jpg

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Seems like rocks are going to be a major bottleneck for resources in a shared island. I sure hope a whole bunch spawn tomorrow as my daughter had hoovered the island clean today.

I shot down a present of 5 iron nuggets. Was pretty stoked.

Also I'm 2 for 2 in catching Wasps. Go me!

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ShubNiggurathShubNiggurath Arkham, MARegistered User regular
    The Yhe Abyss rises from the depths! I look forward to playing with you all!

I started with Dom, Plucky, and cherries.

High Priestess Ubb of the island of Yhe Abyss
    VillagerDB Wish List
    Game changer.

Best 3000 miles I've sent yet.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I ain’t cuttin’ down a single tree until I identify my perfect fruit tree

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    Turns out the upgraded tools still break? WTF is with your obsession with durability, Nintendo? It's not like iron nuggets just fall out of the sky!

They have to be shot down, obv. (Scored a second package shortly after buying the DIYs.)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Are bells worth anything now? Seems like they're infinite and it's really miles that matter.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Are bells worth anything now? Seems like they're infinite and it's really miles that matter.

You can't improve your house with miles

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    My friend totally felt bad for me and sent me an AC download code. Down the rabbit hole I go again!

Blergh. It seems all my friends are time traveling. I was going to try to play normal.

Ha haaa! Suck it, tarantula! You mine now.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    been stung by goddamn tarantulas 3 times now, with no catches

fuck you tarantulas, that's not even how you act in real life >:(

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    been stung by goddamn tarantulas 3 times now, with no catches

fuck you tarantulas, that's not even how you act in real life >:(
    Just in case you don't already know this, if you hold A you can sneak with the net, and they'll hiss at you if you move but then calm down again if you stop (at which point you can immediately take another step), so if you're patient you can get as close as you want and line things up.

Catching a tarantula is the same as the last game. They’ll instantly attack most of the time if you have your net out. You don’t want to stumble across them either way because you’re likely to scare them off. It’s best if you slowly walk around and if you’re lucky you’ll see them at a distance north. Approach slowly and angle the camera to get a good view. Get the net out and slowly creep forward, holding A to ready a swing. If you inch forward they might not even see you. Even if they do they might not attack and you can snatch em up. In New Leaf I managed to swing my net fast enough when they leapt at me and still get em. You’ll get it eventually, @Houk the Namebringer

This discussion has been closed.