As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Updates on [Coronavirus] Thread

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Cremation pouch buys make the rounds in conspiracy theory circles every few years, the military buys them rarely but always in dubiously huge numbers, like those plastic grave liners. 1.5 million isn't even a large order.

Has me wondering if those supplies are used for veteran funerals/burials/cremations. The military actually buries a lot of people yearly. It's not necessarily related.

A fair few are for ally, enemy, and civilian casualties in combat zones and they probably fall under the non-weapon supplies we give so many countries.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/universal-studios-orlando-extends-parks-closure-1286287
    Universal Studios Orlando on Tuesday announced the theme park would be closed longer than initially stated due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Florida park, along with the California destination, closed its doors March 12, the same day Disneyland and Walt Disney World closed, all due to the outbreak.

The plan for Universal was to reopen parks on April 1. However, on Tuesday, it was announced the Orlando park would be closed through April 19. It is unclear if Universal Studios Hollywood will also be closed longer. According to its site, the reopen date remains April 1 as of Tuesday afternoon.
    Disneyland and Walt Disney World are currently set to reopen April 1.
    Disney should not even pretend they might reopen then.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Uh, bringing some bad news:

Political Polls is a poll aggregator.
    Yeah, turns out that these games around the stimulus package aren't making Congress popular.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Yeah, turns out that these games around the stimulus package aren't making Congress popular.

In trying times Americans tend to give the executive a lot of leeway initially, and even then Trump's numbers aren't great. I expect stuff to shift once things go out the door and more dead pile up and more economic pain is felt. Especially as Trump has insisted he is to be the face of the WH action/inaction on this.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    So that stimulus bill. The wording makes it sound like people that are unemployed (like me) are left hanging. Please tell me I have that wrong.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

In trying times Americans tend to give the executive a lot of leeway initially, and even then Trump's numbers aren't great. I expect stuff to shift once things go out the door and more dead pile up and more economic pain is felt. Especially as Trump has insisted he is to be the face of the WH action/inaction on this.

Remember that Trump spends everyday lying to the public, on like every major news network, that everything is fine.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean the polls look really awful right now, but we are on the rising action of this horrible roller coaster. People haven't felt it yet, but they will soon enough. America won't be able to ignore this one like we did Puerto Rico or children in cages.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular

Is anyone suprised? With people out of work and terrified the optics are unfortunate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Nobeard wrote: »
    So that stimulus bill. The wording makes it sound like people that are unemployed (like me) are left hanging. Please tell me I have that wrong.

Instant one time payment of $1500 per adult, plus an extra $600 per month (If I understand it correctly) for Unemployment benefits. That kinda sounds like the opposite of left hanging?

Edit: That's not to say there won't be gaps, because there always are. But it seems like they are trying at least.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Doesn't Congress usually have terrible polling numbers anyway?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/universal-studios-orlando-extends-parks-closure-1286287
    Universal Studios Orlando on Tuesday announced the theme park would be closed longer than initially stated due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Florida park, along with the California destination, closed its doors March 12, the same day Disneyland and Walt Disney World closed, all due to the outbreak.

The plan for Universal was to reopen parks on April 1. However, on Tuesday, it was announced the Orlando park would be closed through April 19. It is unclear if Universal Studios Hollywood will also be closed longer. According to its site, the reopen date remains April 1 as of Tuesday afternoon.

I suspect the announcement will be coming very soon; now that Orange County in Florida (the same county that the parks are located) will be in effect until at least April 9.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    All non-essential businesses in Oklahoma counties with confirmed COVID-19 cases have been ordered to close until April 14 by Gov. Stitt.

Restaurants can still do delivery and carry-out, but all dining rooms are closed.

Stitt is a Republican and noted corporate stooge, so it looks like local trends are still bucking the administration even in this red state.

Oklahoma? OKLAHOMA is doing better on this than Texas?

Houston and one neighboring county goes "stay at home" tonight (should have done it two days ago minimum). We almost doubled the state's confirmed cases today, but the governor is still leaving it up to individual counties.

• Options

This explains some of the main bullet points of the bill

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/23/house-democrats-stimulus-senate-coronavirus-145388

to address your concerns specifically; the $1500 payment appears to be universal in nature. On top of that, people on existing unemployment benefits will have their benefits raised by $600 per week, in addition to any existing benefits

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Theoretically, the public schools around here will reopen on April 6th after spring break ends.

That ain't going to happen, but that's the date that was chosen when the closure was first announced. It will be revised sometime between now and then.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

worth mentioning this is one poll published last thursday before any of the current events in congress really happened

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    redacted wrong thread

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    All non-essential businesses in Oklahoma counties with confirmed COVID-19 cases have been ordered to close until April 14 by Gov. Stitt.

Restaurants can still do delivery and carry-out, but all dining rooms are closed.

Stitt is a Republican and noted corporate stooge, so it looks like local trends are still bucking the administration even in this red state.

Oklahoma? OKLAHOMA is doing better on this than Texas?

Houston and one neighboring county goes "stay at home" tonight (should have done it two days ago minimum). We almost doubled the state's confirmed cases today, but the governor is still leaving it up to individual counties.

Like, based on cold robot logic, Texas has more leeway than most states not to take universal action. Amarillo has less to do with San Antonio than the entire state of Vermont has to do with Philadelphia.

But yeah, for once Texas' hat is ahead of the curve. We also just legalized booze delivery, which you have had since forever. Eat it up, Tex.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Instant one time payment of $1500 per adult, plus an extra $600 per month (If I understand it correctly) for Unemployment benefits. That kinda sounds like the opposite of left hanging?

Edit: That's not to say there won't be gaps, because there always are. But it seems like they are trying at least.

Thanks for the explanation.

An extra 3k would make for a real transformative single month but neither my wife nor I get any unemployment. Longterm our situation wouldn't change from what it was before the virus. Thing is, we only get by because of familial assistance. If family can't be kept afloat, then we sink too.

I'm still worried that our food stamps will be cut next month. If that happens then, well, I might at least lose weight like my doctor tells me to.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The Chinese government has learned nothing. The recent lack of new cases? It's not for lack of SARS2; officials are denying testing because you can't have more cases if you don't test for it *taps head*. People are being turned back from hospitals so they can't be tested, and then because they're not listed as being positive (because no one will test them) they can't enter the hospitals. It's right back to the same ol' systemic problems, and starting a global pandemic has changed nothing.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    The Chinese government has learned nothing. The recent lack of new cases? It's not for lack of SARS2; officials are denying testing because you can't have more cases if you don't test for it *taps head*. People are being turned back from hospitals so they can't be tested, and then because they're not listed as being positive (because no one will test them) they can't enter the hospitals. It's right back to the same ol' systemic problems, and starting a global pandemic has changed nothing.

One article is one article, but if this turns out to be true, this is...not heartening for the recovery timelines.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

One article is one article, but if this turns out to be true, this is...not heartening for the recovery timelines.

I have seen rumors about Chinese officials suppressing new testing for a while in different places, but nothing substantial enough to quote. RTHK is Hong Kong public service broadcasting though, basically the NPR of Hong Kong. They're very respected and credible so that boosts it up to "more than just some rando on the internet saying crap."

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

China is not a newbie at the pandemic thing. Both the Spanish and Russian flus came from China despite the names, and the Asian flu was a bit more on the nose.

It's almost like combining a second world economy and third world living conditions and packing a billion people into it is a volatile mix.

Hevach on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Has it been mentioned that some ice detainees have the virus? Because there's a report of 3 on CNN. I'm sure all those migrants are spread out and this thing isn't going to spiral out of control.

Oh, wait, I mean the opposite of that will happen.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    We don't know exactly where the Spanish Flu came from, and likely never will, but one of the prime candidates is Kansas.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular
    Spain cases and deaths surge:

Atlanta's ICU's are at capacity

Looks like a pipe burst in December and wiped out 200 beds and it won't be ready until fall?!

I expect the death rate to go up as people can't receive intensive care.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Hopefully there are hospitals not too far away with capacity

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    City of Atlanta is notably smaller than a lot of people think. A lot of the regional hospital capacity is outside of the city proper.

Not that the headline is useful at all to tell what she actually meant.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    City of Atlanta is notably smaller than a lot of people think. A lot of the regional hospital capacity is outside of the city proper.

Not that the headline is useful at all to tell what she actually meant.

Important thing to keep in mind, because there's a WIDE difference in sizes of some cities.

Like, San Francisco is 883,305 people in 46.89 sq mi, while San Antonio is 1,532,233 people....in 465.4 sq mi.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Oh, it’s just Grady. That’s the public hospital downtown, but it’s only a fraction of the regional capacity.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Javen wrote: »

I have seen rumors about Chinese officials suppressing new testing for a while in different places, but nothing substantial enough to quote. RTHK is Hong Kong public service broadcasting though, basically the NPR of Hong Kong. They're very respected and credible so that boosts it up to "more than just some rando on the internet saying crap."

And of course it's believable about China covering shit up because well

: Points to exhibits labelled A thru Z.:

More reliable data to be obtained from South Korea.

GiantGeek2020 on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Some good-ish news. I'll link the WaPo tweet but its behind a paywall. The gist I'm getting from the Twitter breakdown is that the virus is mutating very slowly. So all cases across the globe are all pretty much the same pathogen. That means we may be able to actually develop a lasting vaccine like we did with measles or chicken pox instead of having to develop new strains every year like we do with the flu.

Granted we're still probably 18-24 months from this hypothetical vaccine but it's still encouraging that we could potentially eliminate this as a global threat.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    Vermont just joined the stay at home party.

https://vtdigger.org/2020/03/24/stay-home-scott-orders-in-response-to-covid-19-outbreak-in-vermont/?fbclid=IwAR1SLj3t8uXDur-M-EEoQ_LTTSPCYvzrgNmoFxotA2a7ML1PNKPrJdR9qyw

Our governor is actually really reasonable for a Republican, in most other states he would be considered a Democrat. He's been handling this whole thing pretty good, unfortunately being that we're the playground for New Yorkers we're still totally screwed.

Don't forget Connecticut! They've been coming up here too! ;)

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm weirdly hopeful for my own personal situation because the governor has put it on cities and local governments to do the job. Austin and Travis county issued the shelter-in-place tonight but has had a required closure for businesses for the last week or so

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Doesn't Congress usually have terrible polling numbers anyway?

I'm just a wee Canadian Zergling, but my understanding is that Congress as a whole generally polls under 'getting shiv'd and pissed on in a dark alley', but individual congresscritters and senators poll much higher.

Effectively "Congress as a whole is awful, but MY GUY/GAL is fucking awesome!".

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I was watching NBC nightly news with Lester hold, and there was a story about a couple who took a drug Trump mentioned in one of his briefings. Chloride tablets or something. Anyways the husband is dead and the wife in the hospital. So he's directly responsible for at least one death in all of this.

Edit found an article

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/health/arizona-coronavirus-chloroquine-death/index.html

RickRude on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Not the Corona gen thread!

Nobeard on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I was watching NBC nightly news with Lester hold, and there was a story about a couple who took a drug Trump mentioned in one of his briefings. Chloride tablets or something. Anyways the husband is dead and the wife in the hospital. So he's directly responsible for at least one death in all of this.

Edit found an article

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/health/arizona-coronavirus-chloroquine-death/index.html

Not to give Trump a free pass, but these people took stuff for use in an aquarium because one of the ingredients was the thing Trump talked about, and they didn't want to get sick (so they didn't even have symptoms). He may be partially to blame, but they could have easily read something online and come up with the same genius idea.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2020
    The people are likely dumb as shit but the willing credulousness, mistrust of experts, cult of personality and general bovine stupidity is something that's been carefully cultivated by Trump and his ilk. Everyone else is a liar, only I possess the truth, drinking goldfish tank cleaning products will make you live forever, don't stop tithing.

Bogart on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2020
    klemming wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »

Edit found an article

Not to give Trump a free pass, but these people took stuff for use in an aquarium because one of the ingredients was the thing Trump talked about, and they didn't want to get sick (so they didn't even have symptoms). He may be partially to blame, but they could have easily read something online and come up with the same genius idea.

Absolutely. But the president retweeting and repeating unsourced garbage acts as a force multiplier to said nonsense. Some rando on twitter telling you that maybe this drug will work is very different than the president saying it on a globally televised news conference.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
This discussion has been closed.