The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread

24567103

Posts

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited March 17
    Fortunately, my concerns for my dad flying back to Florida from Chile have been alleviated. Chile is going full on shutdown and the Santiago airport is shutting down before my dad's flight was scheduled, so his flight is canceled. He'll have to stay there a while longer, but at least I know he won't wind up in a crowded airport with who knows how many potentially infectious people.

    It's such a relief. Also add another country whose response is way ahead of the US.

    Zomro on
    Belasco32maraji
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    My work is closed to anyone who isn't essential, which doesn't include me. Work from home isn't really possible. As far as I know I will still be paid.

    zepherinBrodyIncenjucaroverride367AbsoluteZerofurlionJazzForar
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Huh, my workplace is checking the temperature of everyone that walks in the doors, and if anyone has 100F or higher they're denied entry.
    Tomorrow my company specifically is going to do away with the daily pre-shift briefing and we will instead show up right at 7:00, sign in, go to post, and then listen to the briefing via voicemail.
    In the future if the situation gets worse we might be short staffed to the point that once we show up and go to post, we'll be left on the same post for 12 hours straight and will need to call a supervisor to come relieve us for restroom breaks.
    If things progress beyond that, they said we'll start getting forced to stay at work for 24 hours or more, and that we should plan ahead and have an extra set of underwear, socks, uniforms, soap, razor, shampoo, food, etc. in our car or locker just in case.

    Those are kind of extreme measures, and I hope we don't end up going that far, but this IS a major power plant and it needs to keep running. Fuck me sideways, this is going to suck even if I don't get sick

    KmZUNh7.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular


    I'm O+, so the Red Cross loves me and I make a point to donate as soon as I'm eligible. Unfortunately, that eligibility is now and the coronavirus has caused blood donations to plummet, a fact that the Red Cross reminds me of everyday.

    Practical decision is to not donate, because you can be asymptomatic and still contagious, and sitting in a single enclosed spot with lots of other people for 30 minutes to an hour is not a good idea. But people need blood, so my current decision not to donate is stressing me out.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    Martini_Philosopher
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So we're on day two of maximum telework. I mentioned earlier that we are a wrench-turning type of shop, which complicates things, because we have to stay physically open to some extent. We are currently pushing for implementing shift work, to limit the number of people on the floor at once, for what little benefit there is (it's actually a very large space, with few people). But, it seems that with all the white-collar types on telework yesterday, it turned into lord of the flies and the techs all decided they couldn't be bothered to call anybody for anything, because they don't believe telework is real. So they just implemented their own plan without picking up a phone to anybody who would actually provide input and approve of said plan, and charged forward.

    Some noses are going to get smacked with newspapers. I don't know what's hard to understand about "telework means anything you would normally come to my desk to talk to me about means simply picking up a goddamn phone." If the boss is on telework, it doesn't mean they are "out," it means you call them. Sorry, had to vent. Telework in an environment that isn't accustomed to it can be a huge pain in the dick.

    Best part is that telework may not even be by choice for me soon, rumor has it that we're going to a "if anybody in your household has traveled outside the local area you are on 14 days mandatory isolation" in my office. Partner just came back from Seattle, so gonna say that applies. We'll see. I swear to god I'll make these fuckers call me every hour on the hour just to chat though if they keep up with the shenanigans.

  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Everyone being crammed into the house is a shitty time for the wireless router to suddenly refuse connections when more than two devices are connected.

    Looks like off to pick up a new wireless router.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    My work is still most definitely not taking this seriously, finally starting to talk about maybe wfh for people with long commutes.

    But then the entire town seems to not be taking this seriously, traffic's completely normal, everyone's still out and about.

    Worse, any wfh equipment you still need will be sold out when you need it, if you start late.

    Laptop sales are up 800% since Friday in a company I know..

    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    IlpalaJansonShadowfire
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Everyone being crammed into the house is a shitty time for the wireless router to suddenly refuse connections when more than two devices are connected.

    Looks like off to pick up a new wireless router.

    @DoctorArch

    Check the DHCP renewal time. If it's set for 24h, you might be chewing through the entire allotted DHCP timeframe. Wireless devices have a habit of grabbing new DHCP leases frequently, when they should know better. This is what I did for my folks - set the lease time to 10 minutes (so renewal requests come after 5 minutes) and things were fine.

    Official member of the Grilling Gentry
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    Rarely-updated Collecting blog
    He/Him
    Stabbity Style
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Everyone being crammed into the house is a shitty time for the wireless router to suddenly refuse connections when more than two devices are connected.

    Looks like off to pick up a new wireless router.

    @DoctorArch

    Check the DHCP renewal time. If it's set for 24h, you might be chewing through the entire allotted DHCP timeframe. Wireless devices have a habit of grabbing new DHCP leases frequently, when they should know better. This is what I did for my folks - set the lease time to 10 minutes (so renewal requests come after 5 minutes) and things were fine.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that out before I set up the new kit.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

    I'm O+, so the Red Cross loves me and I make a point to donate as soon as I'm eligible. Unfortunately, that eligibility is now and the coronavirus has caused blood donations to plummet, a fact that the Red Cross reminds me of everyday.

    Practical decision is to not donate, because you can be asymptomatic and still contagious, and sitting in a single enclosed spot with lots of other people for 30 minutes to an hour is not a good idea. But people need blood, so my current decision not to donate is stressing me out.

    I'm o negative and just woke up to a voicemail asking me to donate so yeah I'm currently conflicted on this too.

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Ontario just announced like less than 10 new cases since yesterday. That seems.....too good to be true?

  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    One of the things I'm becoming worried about is people having to juggle their physical health vs. mental health.

    I have a friend who's going through a very rough patch (Dad has cancer and isn't long for world, she's a teacher, just went through a breakup) and she's always found comfort and support in just interacting with people.

    So yeah, this is being very hard on her right now (she's doing the right thing and social distancing) and I doubt she's the only one going through it.

    And from what I understand even small home gatherings are a bad idea right?

    Belasco32durandal4532SiskaGiggles_FunsworthJazz
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »

    I'm O+, so the Red Cross loves me and I make a point to donate as soon as I'm eligible. Unfortunately, that eligibility is now and the coronavirus has caused blood donations to plummet, a fact that the Red Cross reminds me of everyday.

    Practical decision is to not donate, because you can be asymptomatic and still contagious, and sitting in a single enclosed spot with lots of other people for 30 minutes to an hour is not a good idea. But people need blood, so my current decision not to donate is stressing me out.

    I'm o negative and just woke up to a voicemail asking me to donate so yeah I'm currently conflicted on this too.

    Also O neg - my thinking right now is to get into the habit of regular donating, but also give Red Cross a week to do some meaningful preparation. So, next week I guess, though they already have some measures in place, so it might be unnecessary/irrational to think it’ll be different then.

  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So I came across this earlier:[url="http:/https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/03/trump-awakens-to-the-covid-19-danger/"] https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/03/trump-awakens-to-the-covid-19-danger[/url]
    With the markets in free fall despite emergency action by the Fed over the weekend, Trump is waking up to the reality that’s been clear to everyone: Coronavirus poses a once-in-a-hundred-years threat to the country. “In the last 48 hours he has understood the magnitude of what’s going on,” a former West Wing official told me. As Trump processes the stakes facing the country—and his presidency—he’s also lashing out at advisers, whom he blames for the White House’s inept and flat-footed response. Sources say a principal target of his anger is Jared Kushner. “I have never heard so many people inside the White House openly discuss how pissed Trump is at Jared,” the former West Wing official said.

    Now, take this with a Lot's wife sized grain of salt, but holy hell I think that he's finally cluing in that this is an actual real problem that he has to deal with as opposed to being somthing that he can simply spin away or hand off onto someone else.

    Also in the article:
    One reason the president’s attitude may be changing is that coronavirus showed up at his doorstep, literally: Mar-a-Lago is now a hot spot. Last weekend, Trump interacted with a Brazilian government official who tested positive for COVID-19. The appearance of coronavirus inside the president’s bubble jolted the president’s inner circle that up until that point treated the virus more like a Democratic plot. With coronavirus lurking on the property, about a hundred guests sipped cocktails by the pool at a 50th birthday party for Donald Trump Jr.’s girlfriend, former Fox News personality Kimberly Guilfoyle. RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel announced after attending the party that she was self-quarantining after experiencing flu-like symptoms. Another turning point was an intervention by Guilfoyle’s former colleague Tucker Carlson. A source who attended the party told me Carlson went to Mar-a-Lago to confront Trump directly about his failure to take the virus seriously.

    I said about three weeks ago that trump wouldn't give a shit until this became a personal problem for him, and had actually hoped that Maralago would be effected by this so that he couldn't just ignore it, and now it's looking like it's come true if this article is to be believed.

    I think I may have gained the power of prophetic toungue :)

    Richy wrote: »
    But I think the resistance I’m getting more has to do with “rawr! Loklar said it! Rage!” than anything else.

    No, it has to do with the fact that you're done nothing but throw lies, blatant flasehoods, and downright dumb statements at us so far.
    Ticaldfjam
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Any tips for occupying a 16 month squirmer while mom and dad are on work calls? She’s just a little too young for “screens” to occupy her longer than a minute or two...

    m!ttens
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I live in Pierce County, Washington, which is now up to nearly 20 cases.

    My husband was commuting by train to Seattle every day until last Friday. His current WFH situation is ‘this week only’, though we’ll see.

    My work barely requires me to be in the office (I could pick up everything I need in a 5 minute trip) but I’m only permitted to WFH 2 days a week.

    So that’s the current situation with jobs even in the US’s epicenter.

    Yesterday we did pick up a second monitor and mousepad for WFH and yes, laptops here were sold out.

    It makes me think about all the personal equipment people are using; I’m also thinking about how much higher our electricity bill is going to be this month. We’re both still very, very fortunate to have an income, but it’s ‘interesting’ that a lot of companies are going to be expecting employees to pick up costs on their own dime.

    I’ll see how empty the roads are when I drive in to work in a half hour...

    I’m from the U.K. which is where the rest of my family is and from the sounds of it it’s equally disastrous there. My brother, a doctor, has awoken to the threat since he began reading about it and has been trying to sound the alarm but isn’t having much effect. Spoke to my mother this past weekend - she’s very healthy, but still in her 60s - and she went to a crowded pub with relatives then took the train home... and

  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I'm monitoring symptoms in self-quarantine due to potential exposure and while I am in the clear so far, I have a persistent tightness of breath---but I think that is a confounding symptom of anxiety, not COVID

    It would be nice not to be in a constant vacillating state of mild panic, but i think that's just baseline now

    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    JaysonFourJansonsyndalisBelasco32durandal4532ShadowhopeAtomikaBrodyboogedybooIncenjucarKhildithNo-QuarterVishNubMazzyxautono-wally, erotibot300AbsoluteZeroCantideshrykenever dieGiggles_FunsworthJazz
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Work is finally closing the office and moving to WFH, as of tomorrow.

    Probably too little too late to be honest, but it can't be helped.
    I guess it'll be a few days of not doing anything as our VPN buckles under the weight of everyone trying to log in and as the new Citrix stuff spools up.

    *loads up FIFA*

    sig.gif
    Cambiata
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »

    I'm O+, so the Red Cross loves me and I make a point to donate as soon as I'm eligible. Unfortunately, that eligibility is now and the coronavirus has caused blood donations to plummet, a fact that the Red Cross reminds me of everyday.

    Practical decision is to not donate, because you can be asymptomatic and still contagious, and sitting in a single enclosed spot with lots of other people for 30 minutes to an hour is not a good idea. But people need blood, so my current decision not to donate is stressing me out.

    I'm o negative and just woke up to a voicemail asking me to donate so yeah I'm currently conflicted on this too.

    O+ But I don't have to worry about being conflicted because I'm not allowed to donate.

    Artereis wrote: »
    It's not your fault, Viskod. 1 out of every 10 people just happens to be a monster.
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So I came across this earlier:[url="http:/https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/03/trump-awakens-to-the-covid-19-danger/"] https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/03/trump-awakens-to-the-covid-19-danger[/url]
    With the markets in free fall despite emergency action by the Fed over the weekend, Trump is waking up to the reality that’s been clear to everyone: Coronavirus poses a once-in-a-hundred-years threat to the country. “In the last 48 hours he has understood the magnitude of what’s going on,” a former West Wing official told me. As Trump processes the stakes facing the country—and his presidency—he’s also lashing out at advisers, whom he blames for the White House’s inept and flat-footed response. Sources say a principal target of his anger is Jared Kushner. “I have never heard so many people inside the White House openly discuss how pissed Trump is at Jared,” the former West Wing official said.

    Now, take this with a Lot's wife sized grain of salt, but holy hell I think that he's finally cluing in that this is an actual real problem that he has to deal with as opposed to being somthing that he can simply spin away or hand off onto someone else.

    Also in the article:
    One reason the president’s attitude may be changing is that coronavirus showed up at his doorstep, literally: Mar-a-Lago is now a hot spot. Last weekend, Trump interacted with a Brazilian government official who tested positive for COVID-19. The appearance of coronavirus inside the president’s bubble jolted the president’s inner circle that up until that point treated the virus more like a Democratic plot. With coronavirus lurking on the property, about a hundred guests sipped cocktails by the pool at a 50th birthday party for Donald Trump Jr.’s girlfriend, former Fox News personality Kimberly Guilfoyle. RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel announced after attending the party that she was self-quarantining after experiencing flu-like symptoms. Another turning point was an intervention by Guilfoyle’s former colleague Tucker Carlson. A source who attended the party told me Carlson went to Mar-a-Lago to confront Trump directly about his failure to take the virus seriously.

    I said about three weeks ago that trump wouldn't give a shit until this became a personal problem for him, and had actually hoped that Maralago would be effected by this so that he couldn't just ignore it, and now it's looking like it's come true if this article is to be believed.

    I think I may have gained the power of prophetic toungue :)

    What I don't understand. Donnie, if you are so pissed at Kushner over what he is doing and how he is inserting himself into this - GET HIM THE FUCK AWAY FROM IT! You are the fucking president, reassign him (or better yet, fire him).

    CambiataGaddezFencingsaxTicaldfjamElvenshaeJazzMan in the MistsKlytus
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    To give some bright news:

    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/411951/coronavirus-government-unveils-12-point-1b-package-to-combat-covid-19-impact

    NZ government has announced a/huge/ economic package.

    For me as a beneficiary, the big things are a permanent!!! 25 dollar increase per week (I nearly happy cried, that's such a big difference for me), and doubling the winner energy payment I get this year (an extra 40 dollars per week from may till October)

    Which given I'm definitely in the at risk group some (prior history of pneumonia, asthmatic, generally physically fragile)

    Yeah big relief that I'll have extra money to help with things like getting food delivered as needed.

    From what I've seen a lot of small business owners are over the moon as well, as this should save them from having to fold.

    The opposition party is sadly being right jerks about this, but it seems to mostly be bluster. Plus they seem to be getting pilloried for their response, so yay.

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Brovid HasselsmofJansonBelasco32HakkekageBrodyJragghentynicdurandal4532Satanic JesusIncenjucarMrMisterCambiataNo-QuarterJaysonFourBobbleShadowhopeIceBurnerrndmheroFencingsaxJedocCalicaTynnanlonelyahavaCantidefurlionTNTroopernever dieDescendant XGiggles_FunsworthForarJazzMan in the MistsHefflingKristmas Kthulhu
  • AbsalonAbsalon Registered User regular
    Well my tenant needs to head home tomorrow before India closes its borders, hopefully we can find a new one soon or else my monthly effective rent goes up by like 80%.

  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Eastern coastal temptressRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I'm monitoring symptoms in self-quarantine due to potential exposure and while I am in the clear so far, I have a persistent tightness of breath---but I think that is a confounding symptom of anxiety, not COVID

    It would be nice not to be in a constant vacillating state of mild panic, but i think that's just baseline now

    Right? I have a tight breath too, so either I'm dying or it's stressful to make an international move as borders shut down during a global pandemic. One or the other. Or both.

    HakkekageBethrynFuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFencingsaxGiggles_Funsworth
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I live in Pierce County, Washington, which is now up to nearly 20 cases.

    My husband was commuting by train to Seattle every day until last Friday. His current WFH situation is ‘this week only’, though we’ll see.

    My work barely requires me to be in the office (I could pick up everything I need in a 5 minute trip) but I’m only permitted to WFH 2 days a week.

    So that’s the current situation with jobs even in the US’s epicenter.

    Yesterday we did pick up a second monitor and mousepad for WFH and yes, laptops here were sold out.

    It makes me think about all the personal equipment people are using; I’m also thinking about how much higher our electricity bill is going to be this month. We’re both still very, very fortunate to have an income, but it’s ‘interesting’ that a lot of companies are going to be expecting employees to pick up costs on their own dime.

    I’ll see how empty the roads are when I drive in to work in a half hour...

    I’m from the U.K. which is where the rest of my family is and from the sounds of it it’s equally disastrous there. My brother, a doctor, has awoken to the threat since he began reading about it and has been trying to sound the alarm but isn’t having much effect. Spoke to my mother this past weekend - she’s very healthy, but still in her 60s - and she went to a crowded pub with relatives then took the train home... and

    I'm in King County, my boss is on blood thinners for something or other, which I think makes him high risk, corporate has given us the ok for WFH, and he still won't send us home. Its not really clear why.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I'm monitoring symptoms in self-quarantine due to potential exposure and while I am in the clear so far, I have a persistent tightness of breath---but I think that is a confounding symptom of anxiety, not COVID

    It would be nice not to be in a constant vacillating state of mild panic, but i think that's just baseline now

    This is a constant problem for me as well, especially when I'm just stuck in the house, and binge reading bad news out of boredom. Don't know if it helps, but I've found 5 minute meditation breaks to be pretty helpful -especially when it comes to symptoms that I have no idea if they're being created by anxiety or are actual symptoms. The headspace app is great for this kind of stuff.

    Shazkar Shadowstorm
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I'm monitoring symptoms in self-quarantine due to potential exposure and while I am in the clear so far, I have a persistent tightness of breath---but I think that is a confounding symptom of anxiety, not COVID

    It would be nice not to be in a constant vacillating state of mild panic, but i think that's just baseline now

    Right? I have a tight breath too, so either I'm dying or it's stressful to make an international move as borders shut down during a global pandemic. One or the other. Or both.

    this was me yesterday (contributed to by way way more coffee than i normally drink)

    poo
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I started a new job yesterday and coming onboarding during an emergency plus lots of coffee was not a winning combination.

    No coffee today, still stressed but not as bad.

    Most of my new office will be work from home excepting me, boss, and an assistant, plenty of room.

    steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie Future world ruler Registered User regular
    Partly posting so the forum will start updating the new post count for me, but also to grumble.

    I work as a manager in retail, but in an "essential" business, so no matter what closes down we'll still be here... So I made some suggestions to my boss (regional manager) for a way to minimize risk for everyone in the building and was literally laughed off. So that's cool. Super cool.

    Also, I'm worried for my mom and stepfather, both of whom are in their 60s and with serious health issues that make them high risk. But they live 4 hours away from me and have no friends/family in their immediate area that can help them, shop for them, etc. Meanwhile, my mom is terrified of the virus (which is better than being nonchalant about it, I guess) and texting me about how they have no hand sanitizer and are almost out of TP (seriously) and can't get any anywhere.

    /sigh/ Just... everything about this whole thing sucks.

    NVOV2Cu.png
    JansonJazz
  • m!ttensm!ttens Registered User regular
    Any tips for occupying a 16 month squirmer while mom and dad are on work calls? She’s just a little too young for “screens” to occupy her longer than a minute or two...

    I'm in the same boat, I think our kiddos are only a few weeks apart (11/23/18), luckily we've managed to not have much overlap on our conference calls. Right now we're sitting in separate rooms (each with different toys) and bounce the baby between them every 30 minutes or so to keep her engaged with new stuff. But if anyone has a better solution please let me know!

  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I'm monitoring symptoms in self-quarantine due to potential exposure and while I am in the clear so far, I have a persistent tightness of breath---but I think that is a confounding symptom of anxiety, not COVID

    It would be nice not to be in a constant vacillating state of mild panic, but i think that's just baseline now

    Right? I have a tight breath too, so either I'm dying or it's stressful to make an international move as borders shut down during a global pandemic. One or the other. Or both.

    This is me every day, extreme general anxiety is a hell of a thing, even with meds, and nothing to be anxious about. Now... it’s... just... the best. -_-

  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I’m guessing my job will go on as usual. I work at Dominos. We don’t have a dine-in area, everything is just takeout or delivery.

    SleepAthenorGreenMan in the Mists
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I’m guessing my job will go on as usual. I work at Dominos. We don’t have a dine-in area, everything is just takeout or delivery.

    I hope your drivers are taking care to sanitize and such. But yeah.. pizza joints are very well set up for this.

    My favorite local chain has gone carry-out/delivery only. They have a drive thru window. It's great!

    Official member of the Grilling Gentry
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    Rarely-updated Collecting blog
    He/Him
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited March 17
    So I'm definitely going to get this if I don't have it already. Work has to carry on as usual so I'll be here rain or shine until somebody drops dead in the floor.

    So yeah I guess I get to work for 12 hours a day and then go home and lock myself in my apartment on my days off for the foreseeable future. I'm 26, single with no kids and in very good shape so I probably will not actually have any issues from this I'm just worried about spreading it. I know it's kind of selfish to be thinking about myself when there are absolutely other people who could be devastated by this but fuck man

    This sucks.

    Juggernut on
    Commander Zoom
  • swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    edited March 17
    My public accounting office in Atlanta is going full WFH starting tonight. If we didn't have a major federal deadline yesterday I think they would have done it earlier but glad it's at least happening now.

    Most of our staff with under 5 years experience do not have WFH setup (100% laptop though) and multiple-monitor is critical so everyone is going to be walking out with monitors tonight. Going to look a little bit like looting to the front desk staff.

    swaylow on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I feel really fortunate with my work situation

    Ive been ill (probably corona but unconfirmed because of NHS' testing guidelines), and am self quarantining. Work is moving towards a WFH solution for the whole office, but I started today. They are even taking peoples work computers home for them and bought a webcam for me to use (they dead dropped it outside in my tiny enclosed garden).

  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 17
    Shopping this morning, I found out that after strict limits have been put on masks, gloves, and toilet paper purchases, everywhere is abruptly and unexpectedly selling out of axes and machetes and hunting knives. Also there a traffic jam around the gun store.

    Gonna go live under a rock for a couple weeks, bye.

    Hevach on
    Satanic JesusJaysonFourBelasco32tynicJedocCalicaautono-wally, erotibot300TynnanGiggles_FunsworthJazzShadowfireAbsoluteZeroHappy Little Machine
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I'm full wfh now, but I connect to my office PC via a VPN to use autocad. That's fine for normal wfh where there are people in the office and it's short term, but they're going to lock the building down on Friday and I'm thinking of going in to steal my PC, since if something happens to it i'll be shit out of luck for accomplishing much of anything...

    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Someone in my little town has passed away from the disease. Apparently our local government is taking this very seriously, businesses have been doing the takeout thing for a couple weeks now. School has been closed for the last 10 days and they announced they will continue to be closed until mid April at the earliest.

    One bright spot is that our area has set up a "help line" that is manned at all hours, and if you're self isolating or compromised or elderly and can't get to the store or need help getting to a food bank, etc, they'll help you out. Its comforting to see people pulling together in a crisis.

    durandal4532CreamstoutBelasco32JansonMathew BurrackElvenshaeBurnageForarGiggles_FunsworthJazzMichaelLC
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Everyone I work with in my job roll can work from home, but only 50% are being shifted over to it, at the discretion of the direct supervisors.

    Why only 50%? Because the home office in a different county 4500 miles away is only doing 30%.

    Because these idiots have no idea what a quarantine is.

    IncenjucarHahnsoo1durandal4532Belasco32stopgapGiggles_FunsworthMan in the Mists
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I'm monitoring symptoms in self-quarantine due to potential exposure and while I am in the clear so far, I have a persistent tightness of breath---but I think that is a confounding symptom of anxiety, not COVID

    It would be nice not to be in a constant vacillating state of mild panic, but i think that's just baseline now

    Right? I have a tight breath too, so either I'm dying or it's stressful to make an international move as borders shut down during a global pandemic. One or the other. Or both.

    This is me every day, extreme general anxiety is a hell of a thing, even with meds, and nothing to be anxious about. Now... it’s... just... the best. -_-

    I was finally starting to adapt out of major collapse into social anxiety that basically made me a hermit since June. I had conventions booked for March and April, which are of course now cancelled.

    It feels like I reached the door at the end of a long tunnel and found it locked with gurgling noises coming from the other side.

This discussion has been closed.