As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quarantivity (or how to stay sane while working from home forever)

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Make friends with the local wildlife. Get you a raven rave going.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Solar wrote: »
    Like what's the fucking point in working all day and then sitting on my fucking sofa staring at some shit on Netflix all evening for 90% of my life without having anything like that to make it actually worth doing

That was basically my life beforehand due to living in a town with nothing that interested me, and most of my friends moving away.

Just games and tv, with the occasional toy to distract me.

Well, I'm sorry. That sucks. But mine wasn't and I'm not about to just accept that all the good stuff I went out to do because it was good might be gone indefinitely without getting really bloody upset about it.

I don't think anyone was saying that? Sounds like they were just trying to commiserate a bit. I'm sure most of us (or a lot of us, at any rate) can completely relate to how you're feeling.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Are there any more responsibly distance activities you can do solar? Hang outside at parks with friends keeping space apart or anything?

edited July 2020
    yeah I've been picnicking on the weekends. It's a pretty self-isolating social bubble so we're fairly confident that we're covid-free as yet anyway, but we each take our own blankets and food/drinks so we can sit quite far from each other. (local ordinances also allow beer and wine in public parks, but YMMV on that one).

tynic on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    It also might be time to look into more singular hobbies. It sucks but life is going to be changed for quite a while.

Like for example theres a virtual DnD tabletop app for the quest. Lets you sit in an inn with your friends over the internet and play dnd.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    As I've said before - I try to have sympathy for the extroverts among us, 'cause they have wants and needs that I can't fully understand. If I had to live in isolation without my computer, my games and chat networks, or my books, I'd be going insane too.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I've been looking at my options for like, saving up for big travel plans 3 years out, because originally it was just that the trip I wanted to plan - big long-term international or even intercontinental adventure of some kind - was gonna take me at least 3 more years to save up for, politely assuming nothing in my personal life blows up before then

and now it's just because I feel like it's gonna be about that long before I can even really go anywhere long-term, especially with the current baggage of a US passport being a true minus rather than a plus for the first time in my life

in the meantime, I'm finding little opportunities to get out to places that might be social-distance friendly but also off the beaten path, like weird little state parks that are just far enough from the city that people won't go crowd them on weekends. some have even been in the city, just in weird little spaces people don't usually look

every little change of scenery does a lot to lift my spirits

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The Dutch government was recommending a shag buddy to stave off quarantine madness

Jokes aside, you gotta weigh the risk to yourself and others against your mental health, it sounded again and again like you're experiencing depression, Solar

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Like what's the fucking point in working all day and then sitting on my fucking sofa staring at some shit on Netflix all evening for 90% of my life without having anything like that to make it actually worth doing

That was basically my life beforehand due to living in a town with nothing that interested me, and most of my friends moving away.

Just games and tv, with the occasional toy to distract me.

Well, I'm sorry. That sucks. But mine wasn't and I'm not about to just accept that all the good stuff I went out to do because it was good might be gone indefinitely without getting really bloody upset about it.

I don't think anyone was saying that? Sounds like they were just trying to commiserate a bit. I'm sure most of us (or a lot of us, at any rate) can completely relate to how you're feeling.

I'm not even sure what I was trying to say now that I think of it. Just saw that what Solar considered dire circumstances is basically my everyday life and felt like mentioning it. Maybe because I felt a bit put out at the insinuation that what I do everyday is inferior or unacceptable to what the hip cats call "having a life."

It retrospect, it probably wasn't a very helpful comment.

Undead Scottsman on
  • MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    As a mostly introverted person I've been managing okay, but I'm going nuts being in the city with nothing to do. I'd give anything to be at a lake or creek in the middle of nowhere, miles from my same four walls

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Yeah I can't say it feels like theres much of a point to... anything really, not anymore.

Out of fucking nowhere the world grinds to a halt, we're led by monstrous idiots and at no point do we seem to ever get any good news. We're now all facing an unknown amount of time where our lives consist of shuffling to work in masks, staying as far from people as possible, shuffling home and shutting the blinds. Just living the same dreary day waiting for our number to come up and hoping when it does you get off lucky. Rinse and repeat for what, years? And hell, even if we beat this who's to say we won't be right back to square one with some brand new fucking disaster that the dipshits in charge can't handle and the dipshits on the streets won't do the bare fucking minimum to help mitigate.

Like where's the silver lining here? When do the clouds part and the sun shines through? Apparently there isn't one and it fucking won't and I've got no good advice on how to deal with that.

Edit: at least not here in the good ole US of A. Other places will probably get back to reasonably normal life while we sit back here and repeatedly smash ourselves in the collective dick with a cinder block for no explicable reason whatsoever.

Juggernut on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Yeah I can't say it feels like theres much of a point to... anything really, not anymore.

Out of fucking nowhere the world grinds to a halt, we're led by monstrous idiots and at no point do we seem to ever get any good news. We're now all facing an unknown amount of time where our lives consist of shuffling to work in masks, staying as far from people as possible, shuffling home and shutting the blinds. Just living the same dreary day waiting for our number to come up and hoping when it does you get off lucky. Rinse and repeat for what, years? And hell, even if we beat this who's to say we won't be right back to square one with some brand new fucking disaster that the dipshits in charge can't handle and the dipshits on the streets won't do the bare fucking minimum to help mitigate.

Like where's the silver lining here? When do the clouds part and the sun shines through? Apparently there isn't one and it fucking won't and I've got no good advice on how to deal with that.

I mean this has been the world forever. The US middle class (and other allied middle classes) got a roughly 60 year reprieve due to us being the dominant world economic force after WW2. We were prosperous enough to forget how shitty the ruling class were.

Like the rest of human history you snatch happiness and joy where you can and learn to treasure those moments. You calculate risk. My wife and I have another couple we do socially distanced stuff with every couple weeks. Its not 100% safe, but we try to take the best protections we can.

It might be that the next decade is mostly overcast with only a few bright spots. People might get mad enough to fight to change things for the better. We have the potential, through fits and starts to be better than our predecessors.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

I believe the most immediate, meaningful changes in the US are going to happen, are happening in local communities

And it's comparatively easy to support that

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Please don't forget that vaccines aren't the be-all end-all

The development of treatments to reduce the effects of the virus are also a thing, and as far as I know do not require nearly as much time to develop and test

The most recent finding being that cheap, commonly available steroid dexamethasone which is able to reduce the number of deaths while on ventilators by 1/3 and in those receiving supplemental oxygen by 1/5

It is absolutely reasonable to hope for more such treatments to be found, so if the virus isn't totally eliminated its severity could perhaps be diminished

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    If you can put your faith in anything, it's that the people with the money want to continue to make money, so while they're doing to damn best to people out into danger, they have a long term vested interest in one day being able to say "it's safe to come out" and actually have people trust that it's true.

edited July 2020
    If you can put your faith in anything, it's that the people with the money want to continue to make money, so while they're doing to damn best to people out into danger, they have a long term vested interest in one day being able to say "it's safe to come out" and actually have people trust that it's true.

That would be a lot more comforting if we weren't also finding out that a lot of the people with the money are also thick as mince.

tynic on
    tynic wrote: »

That would be a lot more comforting if we weren't also finding out that a lot of the people with the money are also thick as mince.

People with money have become far too insulated from everyone else, even compared to previous eras.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    tynic wrote: »
    Make friends with the local wildlife. Get you a raven rave going.

A coven of corvids during covid

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »

I mean this has been the world forever. The US middle class (and other allied middle classes) got a roughly 60 year reprieve due to us being the dominant world economic force after WW2. We were prosperous enough to forget how shitty the ruling class were.

Like the rest of human history you snatch happiness and joy where you can and learn to treasure those moments. You calculate risk. My wife and I have another couple we do socially distanced stuff with every couple weeks. Its not 100% safe, but we try to take the best protections we can.

It might be that the next decade is mostly overcast with only a few bright spots. People might get mad enough to fight to change things for the better. We have the potential, through fits and starts to be better than our predecessors.

Okay I got an idea.

I’m just gonna need some genetic supermen, a nuclear war and some frustratingly rational space elves

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I had faith in this, until they decided that maybe they could just... pretend it was safe and make money amid the dying? Usher people back into burning buildings and tell them the fire was out.

edited July 2020

I had faith in this, until they decided that maybe they could just... pretend it was safe and make money amid the dying? Usher people back into burning buildings and tell them the fire was out.

They're already doing that. People ain't buying it. (Except the minority who already believe it's fine. )

Undead Scottsman on

They're already doing that. People ain't buying it.

Which people aren't? The population of the US is very much buying it in various places. People are back at Disney World...

They're already doing that. People ain't buying it.

Which people aren't? The population of the US is very much buying it in various places. People are back at Disney World...

The majority of America who think we should stay closed.

Profits are going to be down until those people feel safe again.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the people who are immediately back at Disney World are legitimately the worst people who go to Disney World in normal times, and I'm sure they're being tremendous assholes to the people who work there

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    the people who are immediately back at Disney World are legitimately the worst people who go to Disney World in normal times, and I'm sure they're being tremendous assholes to the people who work there

yuuuuuuuup

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I know it's a stupid fuckin thing to even be thinking about right now but I wish I could just go smoke a bowl with my friends. I hate to think I'm just never gonna get to do that ever again.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Nah, you will. If you don't have faith in people, have faith in all the pharmaceutical companies fucking creaming themselves at the thought of being the first corp with a successful vaccine or treatment.

I've been negotiating with some of them for some low level agreements and brother they are thirsty.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I haven't heard anything about nanobots in ages. Maybe nanobots will save us?

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    We regret to inform you that the nanobots are racist

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    We regret to inform you that the nanobots are racist

All will be made Grey

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Nah! No bots!

imo

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    goddamn milkshake nanites

Nanites in my milkshakes?!?!?!

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    My boss has been coming into work sick every day for the past week, coughing constantly all day without covering, touching everything, and regularly going to meetings with others.

She literally only just booked a doctor check today after it has gone to her chest.

What is with these boomers and their friggin' addiction to being the absolute worst at life

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Is she one of those self proclaimed martyrs who think nobody else can do her job?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh yeah absolutely

My new boss's boss joined us in a conference call for the first time and was talking about the difficulties of quarantine and work from home for a bit. By the end, it was pretty clear he was saying that he REALLY wanted to see his kids less and could not wait to either send them away somewhere or leave the house all day for the office. My least favorite job ever was wall to wall people like that, and it just makes me sad. Like, kids can be a hassle for sure, but this guy was like "ugh, I want a LITTLE family time every now and then. As a treat. This is just the worst."

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Are there any more responsibly distance activities you can do solar? Hang outside at parks with friends keeping space apart or anything?

I do get the chance to do that, and I'm grateful that I have the chance. Actually I do it as often as I can.

But I guess last night I just missed seeing like, several friends at a restaurant, or going to a nightclub, or whatever. All the stuff I really enjoyed.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I was just listening to something and thought "ah this would be amazing to dance to at a place I know, and they'd absolutely put it on if I asked cos I know the DJ" and then I remembered that going to a good DJ set and dancing all night, meeting new people, making awesome memories, coming out and seeing the morning sun rise...

That might just never be a thing again

And I'm now actually genuinely probably more upset than I've been since this whole thing began

This set off Belfast by Orbital playing in my head as in the scene in Human Traffic where the sun comes up over the town.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    And I'm not saying that other people's lives are boring or irrelevant, just that I don't like to be inside, I don't like to sit and watch Netflix or play loads of video games, I like house parties, DJ sets, big tabletop gaming nights, the pub, going out for breakfast with my mates... All that sort of thing. And I basically don't do any of it right now. I get to occasionally go to the park or the Peaks with my friends, and I climb a little outside.

And it's fucking wank and I know nobody really cares but I care and I'm miserable about it. Basically.

Anyway enough whinging

Solar on