As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the empty arena wrestling thread

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    He’s not a part of any factions or teams, and he doesn’t interact with anyone else on the roster.

to be honest.... this does sound like Moxley's character anyway though........

in any case

tonights dynamite. very solid. good opening match, a ton of action. the santana/ortiz--best friends match was good and it looks like a fun story developing. the jericho/cassidy bit had absolutely every chance of being awful and it was actually pretty good... Reba vs. Swole was good fun... as usual the only clear low point is the Cody match : sigh :

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    One thing we all forget about AEW was that one of the big draws before they started was that their talent was going to get time off. I dunno if they're getting it, or who's getting it, or when, but sometimes when we wonder why XYZ isn't on TV this week, that might be why.

Of course this makes absolutely no headway on explaining why the fuck the women's division is the way it is right now. If anything it makes me scratch my head more.

The Elite and the Inner Circle have been featured the entire time AEW has had television, so...

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The big problem is AEW put their storylines on hold when the pandemic started, which was fair. But it feels like they're trying to save stuff for when fans comeback and that ain't happening anytime soon.

The Hangman/Omega break up would be better with a crowd, but for the good of the tag division its got to happen soon. Best Friends should have won the belt during their challenge.

I don't really care for a lot of the guys they're really pushing right now. Or that they were really building up before the pandemic.

The women's division is just confusing. There are plenty of really good unsigned women they could bring in right now. The challengers acene basically doesn't exist for Shida's belt, and then they fill up all the women's time with a meaningless tag tournament.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    One thing we all forget about AEW was that one of the big draws before they started was that their talent was going to get time off. I dunno if they're getting it, or who's getting it, or when, but sometimes when we wonder why XYZ isn't on TV this week, that might be why.

Of course this makes absolutely no headway on explaining why the fuck the women's division is the way it is right now. If anything it makes me scratch my head more.

The Elite and the Inner Circle have been featured the entire time AEW has had television, so...

The Elite were off TV for several weeks after the pandemic picked up steam.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    The big problem is AEW put their storylines on hold when the pandemic started, which was fair. But it feels like they're trying to save stuff for when fans comeback and that ain't happening anytime soon.

The Hangman/Omega break up would be better with a crowd, but for the good of the tag division its got to happen soon. Best Friends should have won the belt during their challenge.

I don't really care for a lot of the guys they're really pushing right now. Or that they were really building up before the pandemic.

The women's division is just confusing. There are plenty of really good unsigned women they could bring in right now. The challengers acene basically doesn't exist for Shida's belt, and then they fill up all the women's time with a meaningless tag tournament.

Hey now, this week they progressed a feud between Big Swole and an injured wrestler.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    https://www.njpw1972.com/78186 Kota "I live my life thinking I'll live long enough to be 150 years old; ignore the neck bumps" Ibushi
    Ibushi: I think I could hit 200, actually. There’s really unlimited potential in human beings. I mean, a lot of people die in their 80s, but these days 100 isn’t all that out of the ordinary. 120 is just about the record, right? I think taking all I can do into account, I live with the intention of making it to 150.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    That almost feels like he's daring fate.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    https://www.njpw1972.com/78186 Kota "I live my life thinking I'll live long enough to be 150 years old; ignore the neck bumps" Ibushi
    Ibushi: I think I could hit 200, actually. There’s really unlimited potential in human beings. I mean, a lot of people die in their 80s, but these days 100 isn’t all that out of the ordinary. 120 is just about the record, right? I think taking all I can do into account, I live with the intention of making it to 150.

I like to imagine he said this, then turned around and jumped off a 2 story balcony while shooting fireworks at himself.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Well you have to remember he's operating on 25 hour days so one year for him is only 350.4 days

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    qhu9wnbwb6yq.png

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

Losing to Riddick Moss clean on Main Event is the next best thing, right

NbIc2mA.jpg

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    qhu9wnbwb6yq.png

And that's if they don't get turned into a small child again by really old villains making an incredibly silly wish.

Poor Chi-Chi

Poor Bulma

Poor Kenny Omega

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular

Honestly if the world wasn't going to shit, 150 is not that crazy. You have to keep in mind that if he makes it to 100, then medicine will have progressed 65 years or whatever. You know, that is if stuff still progressed.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Evil Uno's streaming Fall Guys on his twitch tomorrow at 1PM Eastern twitch.tv/eviluno

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Evil Uno's streaming Fall Guys on his twitch tomorrow at 1PM Eastern twitch.tv/eviluno

I wonder if he's getting JSmithOTI to play too. Probably not if they are starting at 1 PM.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Honestly Brandi's whole role in AEW grates on me

She is barely a wrestler but gets significantly more screentime and appearances than any other woman on the roster

She is the de facto face of women in AEW the the point of getting an action figure before anyone else and being the figurehead of this awful Heels idea

It reeks of a McMahon esque "I'm part of the executives so I can say I am on TV" style deal but without the wrestling ability and regular matches that the Bucks, Cody and Omega can do to half-justify it

It sucks because she is charismatic and could be a good person to have on camera but they have used her in just the worst way

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    After they dropped the Nightmare Collective angle she should have just disappeared as well. I appreciate that she tries, but she's pretty green in the ring still. She's great as a manager so I'd just lean more into that.

I'm glad they at least stopped pushing Dustin Rhodes as a big deal. Teaming with QT is a good spot for him.

• Options
    Swole's match last night was really disappointing, too. I thought for sure Britt was going to have somebody tough for her to face. Instead it was a short comedy match.

I enjoy Swole and Britt's chemistry as antagonists, but they could also be having Swole contend for the title while Brittbis hurt.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I’ve been fantasy booking for a while a Swole-Rebel team for the tag tournament. I think last night leads in to it.

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    Brandi may not be reading the room correctly

She's had more to say because everyone's calling her and Cody out for the women's division:

Click the tweets to see more of the back and forth.

My key takeaway here is that nobody, much less Brandi, should be having to beg and plead for women to get some fucking anything going on, and for that begging to result in, "OKAY OKAY FINE GOSH JEEZ BUT YOUTUBE ONLY."

It's fucking embarrassing to see her admit this. I appreciate the honesty but that's seriously depressing. It also explains a lot about why Brandi is wrestling again.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think Kenny Omega is supposed to be in charge of the women's division and his response to criticism so far has been, "I think we're doing great," so I'm...not super confident they're going to turn the corner there.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    AEW has also seen ratings increases while deemphasising the women's division, and considering how much they worship ratings, I would not be surprised if that just becomes the standard going forward.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I think Kenny Omega is supposed to be in charge of the women's division and his response to criticism so far has been, "I think we're doing great," so I'm...not super confident they're going to turn the corner there.

I don’t think Kenny is booking it just in charge of getting talent and producing matches

I could be totally wrong tho

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Moxley did a sleeper transition into a Gotch piledriver last night in his match with Darby...think he picked that up from Minoru Suzuki?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Moxley did a sleeper transition into a Gotch piledriver last night in his match with Darby...think he picked that up from Minoru Suzuki?

Oh yeah. 100% sure it was a tribute to Suzuki.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    So, generally I like to watch the first hour of each of the Wednesday night shows then the second hour to get a sort of 2020 on-demand DVR it's not live it's Memorex future version of the Monday Night Wars. It's really funny to see all of the complaints about AEW's lack of a women's division, who had almost zero presence in the first hour of the show contrasted to Dakota Kai and Rhea Ripley being given 20+ minutes as on opener on NXT to decide a number one contender.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure trying for an even distribution of talent across their teams was the best strategy for Suzuki-gun in the Never Openweight Six-man tournament. Probably should have saddled Taichi with Kanemaru and Douki, accepted they weren't going anywhere, and tried to make a go of it with Suzuki, ZSJ, and Despy.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    burbo wrote: »

Honestly if the world wasn't going to shit, 150 is not that crazy. You have to keep in mind that if he makes it to 100, then medicine will have progressed 65 years or whatever. You know, that is if stuff still progressed.

150 is pretty fuckin' crazy until we learn how to deal with telomerase.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I'm not sure trying for an even distribution of talent across their teams was the best strategy for Suzuki-gun in the Never Openweight Six-man tournament. Probably should have saddled Taichi with Kanemaru and Douki, accepted they weren't going anywhere, and tried to make a go of it with Suzuki, ZSJ, and Despy.

How fucking dare you do that to the Holy Emperor

• Options

How fucking dare you do that to the Holy Emperor

That's the angle you're going with on this? No one will rise to defend the honor of Yoshinobu Kanemaru?

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Fucking saddled with Kanemaru? Outrageously slanderous statement, how dare you! Mans is a legend.
    Although I personally would've gone with MiSu/Kanemaru/Despy & Dangerous Tekkers/Douki as the Suzuki-Gun teams.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular

Won't we all look stupid when science proves 1000 neckbumps are needed to unlock immortality.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Bryan Alvarez says RE: the chair spot, they lost the chair they were supposed to use, Sammy was supposed to do the Sabu style flat chair throw with a regular folded chair but they couldn’t find the chair, assumedly it was underneath all the debris in the timekeeper area so Sammy improvised (or panicked) and threw that heavier chair at Matt.

He says there were a bunch of guys waiting to talk to Sammy as he made his way to the back.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I feel like “waiting to talk” is a euphemism for “waiting to yell WHAT THE FUCK” here.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

150 is pretty fuckin' crazy until we learn how to deal with telomerase.

Oh that's easy enough, you just have to know the right people in Hollywood and wear red leather shoes and they'll give you a baby to eat and the adrenochrome will keep you young fo-

Sorry folks, I blacked out for a second there, what are we talking about?

• Options
    So I was looking at my post above and seeing that the twitter responses from Brandi were suddenly missing and I found out why.

xgxfp9tyfcf5.png

So uh I guess in place of those, for those who didn't see the tweets, she said she wasn't booking the women's matches, and that she pushed hard for the tournament to take place.

She also explained her earlier tweet a bit (I forget the wording and don't want to go down that rabbit hole) and also said she's not an executive at AEW.

This discussion has been closed.