As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RIP AND TEAR ETERNALLY

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Prohass wrote: »
    Are you on PC? Maybe it’s just cos I’m bad at aiming on consoles but I used it constantly to get headshots and such later in the game. Also good for tracking a whiplash, launching off a jump pad and using it to get a slow mo assessment of the battlefield was handy to for me too

Yeah, I'm on PC. I think it's just a matter of me not using the alt-fire modes while airborne super often. The meathook is pretty much it, and I'm mostly using it for mobility and stuff so slo-mo isn't as big a priority.

Probably just us having differing play styles is all

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Anyone on Xbox have a weird issue where occasionally your run forward will jerk to a slow crawl for a few moments? Nothing to do with traps or anything, I hope it’s not my controller.

Also the cyber demons in this game are so fucking badass

• Options
    AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    Enjoying this a lot; like some other folks I feel like i have to take regular breaks while playing because some moments can just be so intense.

My one small gripe is that I wish that I could chose whether or not to actually use an extra life. Sometimes I start an encounter with a boneheaded decision and I'd rather die and start over than blow a limited resource automatically.

I do wish that the secret encounters weren't timed, I once failed one moments before the last demon died. Right now the plan is to come back to them later when I'm equipped with cheat codes and do it that way.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Yeah I had that thought about extra lives too, but I think ultimately it works better being automatic, if you could horde them they become too much of a “system” if that makes sense, whereas the way they are you basically don’t factor them into how you play, which is how it should be. Otherwise you’d reach later battles with 30 of them and that would take the fun out of it

And yeah the secret encounters are pretty bullshit first time through, since they’re largely trial and error and that can burn through your resources, but as they’re optional I didn’t mind that, you an come back later and cheese them easily with newer weapons and ammo

Prohass on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I had that thought about extra lives too, but I think ultimately it works better being automatic, if you could horde them they become too much of a “system” if that makes sense, whereas the way they are you basically don’t factor them into how you play, which is how it should be. Otherwise you’d reach later battles with 30 of them and that would take the fun out of it

And yeah the secret encounters are pretty bullshit first time through, since they’re largely trial and error and that can burn through your resources, but as they’re optional I didn’t mind that, you an come back later and cheese them easily with newer weapons and ammo

The trick to the secret encounter is to immediately pull out the BFG or other weapon and go ham. As soon as the encounter ends reload your check point. Boom, finished encounter and all resources are retained.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Yeah I did that when I went back, also plasma rifle is good Versatile weapon for most if you’re going for a first try

I only found one berserker power up in the whole game. Looking forward to playing some of the levels with the berserker cheat on cos some of the kill animations are hilariously over the top. It’s crazy that they have all these finisher animations that I barely saw

Prohass on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the berserker powerup rules and I wish it showed up just a tad more frequently

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I felt that way in the first game too!

I am currently stuck on a combat bit in level 3. Shit’s brutal on Ultraviolence. I should probably lower it.

• Options
    The remixed master levels are rad, makes me wonder why they didn’t add a horde mode? The game is begging for it

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    God this stupid lore is so great

Sentinel Prime spoilers
    definitely the same character as classic Doom, then
    HUGE GUTS RIP AND TEAR, WARRIOR KING DOOMGUY
    This is all a heavy metal album cover

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I finished the doom
    fuck this game ruled, FUCK

I love that they squared you off against the Icon again, except this time it's actually a cool fight and not a snoozefest like it was in DOOM 93

the combat is somehow even more kinetic in this game than it was in 2016, I love that they leaned into the insane album cover plot, the destructible enemies are a delight, it's hilarious that they gave doomguy an armblade and its only purpose is to make ripping your enemies to shreds look cooler, turret mode for the chaingun is still the best thing in any shooter

that said I have three complaints

1) marauders suck

2) the ballista is worse than the gun it replaced

3) it's a little weird that they don't explain how the slayer got from the end of doom to the beginning of eternal

Shorty on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Got to the first slayer gate. Got killed at the first slayer gate.

I think I'm going to admit to myself that I am not enjoying this game as much as I thought I would, I'm seriously bummed out.

I get the theory behind design decisions. I get how you're supposed to play it.

I'm constantly getting blown up because I feel like cannot manage anything, like I'm a fucking idiot, and this is the very important part, that I am unable or unwilling to get better at it. I ain't booting the game up because I'm excited to play more and experience it, but to play chunks of the game a time, hoping to get further until I don't want to play anymore. That sucks shit.

Oh well! They got my $90 because I bought the deluxe edition, and so I'll probably beat it eventually.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Keep playing is my advice, it gets super fun. It doesn’t really open up till about level 4 or 5. And slayer gates are intentionally a lot harder than the level they’re in, so come back to them is my advice

Flame belch constantly, like always on every enemy you can, keep resource fodder alive to glory kill, don’t waste time or ammo killing them since they’re there to be farmed, flame beltch and chainsaw a little guy whenever you need ammo, and focus all your damage on heavies.

Get the rune that speeds up cool down on flame beltch simply by using it. And spam the grenades. Doing this should give you enough health and armour to jump around and loop through arenas supplementing with supplies in the level.

Also don’t melee until you have blood punch, and save that for emergencies like when you get swarmed. The regular melee is next to useless in this one.

If you’re doing all that and still having a tough time of it then it’s understandable if you don’t want to keep getting killed over and over, that’s never fun

Prohass on
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I finished the doom
    fuck this game ruled, FUCK

I love that they squared you off against the Icon again, except this time it's actually a cool fight and not a snoozefest like it was in DOOM 93

the combat is somehow even more kinetic in this game than it was in 2016, I love that they leaned into the insane album cover plot, the destructible enemies are a delight, it's hilarious that they gave doomguy an armblade and its only purpose is to make ripping your enemies to shreds look cooler, turret mode for the chaingun is still the best thing in any shooter

that said I have three complaints

1) marauders suck

2) the ballista is worse than the gun it replaced

3) it's a little weird that they don't explain how the slayer got from the end of doom to the beginning of eternal

I have to disagree with the ballista simply because it’s alt fire cuts entire groups of demons in half, including heavies, and while it’s a pain to pull off, when you do it’s so damn satisfying

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I mean it's worse than siege mode, but siege mode was stupid overpowered in '16. You actually have to think to use the destroyer blade.

It's still really really good it's just not an iwincannon like it was in '16.

Shield chaingun is amazing. It's mastery is so strong. Also combos so well with the slow Mo rune - chaingun headshots, awwwyeah.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Keep playing is my advice, it gets super fun. It doesn’t really open up till about level 4 or 5. And slayer gates are intentionally a lot harder than the level they’re in, so come back to them is my advice

Flame belch constantly, like always on every enemy you can, keep resource fodder alive to glory kill, don’t waste time or ammo killing them since they’re there to be farmed, flame beltch and chainsaw a little guy whenever you need ammo, and focus all your damage on heavies.

Get the rune that speeds up cool down on flame beltch simply by using it. And spam the grenades. Doing this should give you enough health and armour to jump around and loop through arenas supplementing with supplies in the level.

Also don’t melee until you have blood punch, and save that for emergencies like when you get swarmed. The regular melee is next to useless in this one.

If you’re doing all that and still having a tough time of it then it’s understandable if you don’t want to keep getting killed over and over, that’s never fun

Thanks for the tips my dude, but I've literally done all of this. I'm too much of a dumb or an old or whatever to be effective in any way.

I've put at least four, five hours in the game, you know? The lack of forward I've made is a good indication that something ain't right about my ability to play this game effectively and I have no idea why. And frankly, after several hours I'm past the point where I'm looking or hoping for everything to click in place. It fuckin blows.

So then I'm like, hey let's cool off and play Doom 64, that game is cool, and then got motion sick on the first map. gg no re

Zxerol on
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Zxerol wrote: »

Thanks for the tips my dude, but I've literally done all of this. I'm too much of a dumb or an old or whatever to be effective in any way.

I've put at least four, five hours in the game, you know? The lack of forward I've made is a good indication that something ain't right about my ability to play this game effectively and I have no idea why. And frankly, after several hours I'm past the point where I'm looking or hoping for everything to click in place. It fuckin blows.

So then I'm like, hey let's cool off and play Doom 64, that game is cool, and then got motion sick on the first map. gg no re

That sucks. If you can, maybe grab some of the cheats and stroll through the game with God mode and/or Infinite ammo or something. While the shooter aspect is of course the core of the game, since you've bought it, it's probably worth getting through for the atmosphere and to see the sights, so to say.

E: To correct myself, there's no actual God mode. There is permanent Sentinel Armour, which is a 90% damage reduction.

MrGrimoire on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    You can only use cheats on levels you've already cleared normally

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Ah, chucks. I thought you could use them regardless.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Got back to back Friday releases in April (RE3, FF7) I super want so I'm waiting on a sale for this but I'm very excited to play it eventually

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Going directly from campaign with full upgrades to battle mode is weird. In particular the dash recharge in battle mode felt slow.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    But can you get the stuff you missed? Specifically the slayers gate and secret missions?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    But can you get the stuff you missed? Specifically the slayers gate and secret missions?

You can use them for secret combat encounters, not sure about slayers gates

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    You specifically can not do slayer gates with cheats. You can do everything else, though.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Haven't found the time to pick this up yet (still a ton of backlog left, and I wanna re-play 2016 yet), but random thought

I know people like to rag on that "Call of Doom" prototype from the Rage days, but I feel like in the right context I wouldn't mind a game like that being part of this universe, in a sort of Enemy Territories: Doom Wars way

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The super gore nest was super tough. This game does not fuck around.

• Options

The curve gets really good around here, things start ramping up like crazy but you also start getting to the point where your runes and unlocks combine to let you really use everything effectively, ie flame beltch, blood punch, resource hoovering

What difficulty are you on? I play a lot of shooters and beat doom 2016 on nightmare and yet hurt me plenty still was plenty challenging here, and way more satisfying to master than even nightmare was in 2016

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

The curve gets really good around here, things start ramping up like crazy but you also start getting to the point where your runes and unlocks combine to let you really use everything effectively, ie flame beltch, blood punch, resource hoovering

What difficulty are you on? I play a lot of shooters and beat doom 2016 on nightmare and yet hurt me plenty still was plenty challenging here, and way more satisfying to master than even nightmare was in 2016

I’m sticking with Hurt Me Plenty.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Hurt Me Plenty is the difficulty I stuck with, I found it to be challenging enough but not too frustrating

• Options
    When I die I feel like it’s because I either tried to rush or did something wrong. It never feels like the game is just difficult for the sake of being difficult.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i desperately need help in DOOM 2016. Every time the game has to load it freezes until I ctrl-alt-del out and open the task manager then go back in and then it keeps going . nothing i've tried has fixed it.

Any ideas?

• Options
    When I die I feel like it’s because I either tried to rush or did something wrong. It never feels like the game is just difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Same, UV is at the sweet spot of difficulty for me. Not too punishing, but hard enough that it makes for an intense experience

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I wanted to replay it on a higher difficulty but I don't think you can change that in a completed campaign so I started a new game

ultraviolence feels pretty good so far

• Options
    I wanted to replay it on a higher difficulty but I don't think you can change that in a completed campaign so I started a new game

Pretty sure you can change the difficulty at any time, up or down

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i desperately need help in DOOM 2016. Every time the game has to load it freezes until I ctrl-alt-del out and open the task manager then go back in and then it keeps going . nothing i've tried has fixed it.

Any ideas?

Not sure if this is helpful but when I personally got problems like this, one of my RAM modules had died without me noticing

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Darmak wrote: »

Pretty sure you can change the difficulty at any time, up or down

Yeah it’s just in the pause menu I think

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Platy wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Any ideas?

Not sure if this is helpful but when I personally got problems like this, one of my RAM modules had died without me noticing

How do I find out if that happened?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I went to "system" and it said I only had 4 GB

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Mine says installed ram 16GB

Some people are saying to enable Vulkan. Anyone know what that is?

Edit: Found it. Let's hope this works.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    I figured it out!

you can't do it from the main menu, you have to do it from inside a level