As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I'm still waiting for my Stinger, Wasp, or Valkyrie to show up in a videogame. Till then I have these new molds that are supposed to be out for delivery today!

I'm so hyped and can't wait to see them. Then get the head shake from my wife as I add more crap to our house.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Crusader was way up on my favorite mech list too, but the redesign just... inst great. very meh.

kx3klFE.png
    Crusader was way up on my favorite mech list too, but the redesign just... inst great. very meh.
    I'm still debating on picking up the Kids Logic miniatures they made for Robotech to substitute for the old stolen borrowed artwork.
    https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/115024
    Maybe I should bust out the Robotech set and see about doing that with what I already have.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for my Stinger, Wasp, or Valkyrie to show up in a videogame. Till then I have these new molds that are supposed to be out for delivery today!

I'm so hyped and can't wait to see them. Then get the head shake from my wife as I add more crap to our house.

All 3 are in at least one of the mods floating around out there, Piratetech I think?

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Yeah, agreed. I mean, the new sculpt is fine. I'm happy to have one. I just really didn't like the old change from shoulder pad LRMs to cufflinks. ;)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'd actually really love a post-invasion game where Clan tech is no longer as massively superior, you have clan/IS blended factions, etc. That would be amazing.

What is this I don't even.
    Iolo wrote: »

Yeah, agreed. I mean, the new sculpt is fine. I'm happy to have one. I just really didn't like the old change from shoulder pad LRMs to cufflinks. ;)

yea, the round arms and unicorn horn put me off

kx3klFE.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Unless you're referring to the ugly Phoenix redesigns, the Crusader has always had round arms and a horn.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

Unless you're referring to the ugly Phoenix redesigns, the Crusader has always had round arms and a horn.

im just comparing it to my old mini from ages gone by

aSZT8RB.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Meanwhile, here's the original 3025 TRO art (1986), which is how I always thought of the Crusader:
    aa9bdn6ls2go.png

Edit: for shits & giggles, here's the 3050 TRO art (1990):
    fgc2zreiv2n7.png
    and art of a custom variant from a sourcebook called Royalty and Rogues (1994):
    w6rth83j05en.jpg
    Like, I actually feel like the new model is closer to how the concept art looked than your old mini (which I almost mistook for a Phoenix Hawk, ie the un-armored VF-1 with the Super upgrade parts, due to how skinny he looks)

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited September 2021
    Son of a vat born bastard, those are ugly. I must consult the tomes.

edit: yep, none of my books contain the crusader art. Somehow i skipped 3050 and went straight to '55 and '58. And my 3025 book is the "newer" one without the unseen sadly.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    The arms have always been roundish. But the missile tubes used to be in the shoulders, like an Archer/Catapult-Junior.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I guess I'll just leave these here.

wdt454L.jpg

x7Wq9CT.jpg

Ml6AVsx.jpg

b4Q8PGF.jpg

9i3ZyvE.jpg

RDIczhg.jpg

4orYNyy.jpg

Get em here though importing from Hong Kong. However you can likely find some sellers closer to home.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited September 2021
    The arms have always been roundish. But the missile tubes used to be in the shoulders, like an Archer/Catapult-Junior.

EDIT: Like this fella (although he might even be too chonky...:

720X720-crd-3k-na-5.jpg

REAL EDIT: oops sorry, quite is not edit.

This one is good!

b6825184a347ad657e52c9bb6599f3a8.jpg

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    edited September 2021
    Axen wrote: »

*snip*

Get em here though importing from Hong Kong. However you can likely find some sellers closer to home.

If you are in the US, Big Bad Toy Store has some of them in stock (I linked the "Crusader" version in my post above).

Edit: Big Bad Toy Store list

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I need those.

Need.

Not even gonna use em for Battletech.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    if i was made of money id have a pile of those. they look so good.

kx3klFE.png
    edited September 2021
    The second DropShip has arrived. This is after FedEx decided that they moved the package too fast across the USA so they sat on it for a week, oddly the other package which was just the salvage boxes arrived a few days ago.

battletech_drop_01.jpg

I was just taking the stuff out of the box and noticed this. The Axeman is missing his arm.

battletech_inner_sphere_heavy_battle_lance.jpg

Now I need to go through the entire box to make sure I got exactly what I ordered and if there was any other errors. Also realized that my dice were not included in the shipment so guess I am getting credit for them?

Edit: Crap, anybody know what I can search for in my e-mails to find what I ordered? I have a list that I made when I was putting in the order, but can't remember what I added to the order after Wave 1 finished. Found my orders and I think everything is there sans the dice like they said in the e-mails. So assuming I am going to get credit for that and the card packs that they couldn't deliver on time. Sort of bummed since I was hoping to at least have some sort of dice. Also need to figure out who I need to contact to get a replacement box for that Heavy Battle Lance. Do I contact Quartermaster Logistics or Catalyst?

Edit #2: Thanks to the search function in the thread (and Tox) I found that I need to contact QL for errors.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah general reminder I'm trying to keep the 2nd post in the thread up to date based on CGL emails

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    More art! Moart!

ygvnfjH.jpg

qbOP3gl.jpg

A6IClCV.jpg

cNptf8a.jpg

ZCcEBAU.jpg

NiMUIVf.jpg

YuHAvy1.jpg

94hQ8U0.jpg

2qMgk3W.jpg

9wEZ30k.jpg

WHR5ThA.jpg

The last two were a surprise to me and there is more of it out there.

And my heart breaks for those Rasalhague people. The second they leave the Combine their worlds descended in to anarchy, looting and child abuse apparently.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I really like that swamp marauder.
    Looks almost peaceful. Shame that scene is about to break out in laser and autocannon fire.

The second-last one is a Japanese Battletech Shadowhawk

The Hunchback is my favorite, followed by the Enforcer

edited September 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »
    The second DropShip has arrived. This is after FedEx decided that they moved the package too fast across the USA so they sat on it for a week, oddly the other package which was just the salvage boxes arrived a few days ago.
    battletech_drop_01.jpg

I was just taking the stuff out of the box and noticed this. The Axeman is missing his arm.

battletech_inner_sphere_heavy_battle_lance.jpg

Now I need to go through the entire box to make sure I got exactly what I ordered and if there was any other errors. Also realized that my dice were not included in the shipment so guess I am getting credit for them?

Edit: Crap, anybody know what I can search for in my e-mails to find what I ordered? I have a list that I made when I was putting in the order, but can't remember what I added to the order after Wave 1 finished. Found my orders and I think everything is there sans the dice like they said in the e-mails. So assuming I am going to get credit for that and the card packs that they couldn't deliver on time. Sort of bummed since I was hoping to at least have some sort of dice. Also need to figure out who I need to contact to get a replacement box for that Heavy Battle Lance. Do I contact Quartermaster Logistics or Catalyst?

Edit #2: Thanks to the search function in the thread (and Tox) I found that I need to contact QL for errors.

I had the wrong mech in one of my boxes with wave 1 (Archer in the Marauder spot). Contacted Quartermaster and they sent me a replacement Marauder. Got to keep the other one too, so free mech.

i highly advise everyone to check every box for mechs and the quality there of. One of my dudes in wave 2 has what looks like burnt plastic on the tip of its nose, but once its painted it wont show so im not worried about it.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    Tox wrote: »

Those designs are just so overwhelmingly Japanese. Sleek, Stylish. Perfection.

kx3klFE.png
    Well, I'll just counter with:
    9k59dvwnmqr1.png

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

They reused some of these for the US release of the Solaris VII boxset, I remember because the Colossus's original artwork was the Japanese Marauder.

(the new artwork for it suuuuuuuuuuucks)

EDIT: Found a snapshot of the "cards" they used for the mechs:
    5e52p3r6mglu.png

Nobody on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    wdt454L.jpg

x7Wq9CT.jpg

Ml6AVsx.jpg

b4Q8PGF.jpg

9i3ZyvE.jpg

RDIczhg.jpg

4orYNyy.jpg

Those are fantastic Macross merch, I dearly wish I had the cash to spare to get them. That said, for Battletech I find I prefer the CGL/PGI/HBS redesigns the Unseen have gotten, and would rather move on from reusing the Macross appearances for them.

Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to.
    More art! Moart!

ygvnfjH.jpg

qbOP3gl.jpg

A6IClCV.jpg

cNptf8a.jpg

ZCcEBAU.jpg

NiMUIVf.jpg

YuHAvy1.jpg

94hQ8U0.jpg

2qMgk3W.jpg

9wEZ30k.jpg

WHR5ThA.jpg

The last two were a surprise to me and there is more of it out there.

And my heart breaks for those Rasalhague people. The second they leave the Combine their worlds descended in to anarchy, looting and child abuse apparently.

Boo to the top picture! Marians are slavers that don't deserve any better treatment than the pirate kingdoms of the periphery. Hostis humani generis.

Listen up you stuffy snake, the Rasalhague people just know how to have a good time! :P

That ninth picture, about the Colonial Marshals? They were the military for the region that became the independent Fronc Reaches two years later. Basically, they're the eventual legacy of the same region of space you are fighting for in HBS' Battletech campaign.

The funny thing about the last two images? They're from a Japanese release of Battletech (as well as Citytech and the Mechwarrior pen & paper RPG) that FASA did back in the day. The really interesting part is they commissioned Studio Nue, part of the group that created Macross, to make all-new alternate designs for all of the Unseen for that release. That's right, the company Harmony Gold was suing for use of Macross stuff actually had a working relationship with the people who created it, whereas HG got their license from Tatsunoko, who just contributed production work for the original TV series. AFAIK HG never paid a yen to the original creators.

They are interesting, but I have to be honest there's something about the knobbly aesthetic they have that puts me off most of the Japanese-release variant 'mech art. Also, the Hunchback doesn't even have a hunch!

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited September 2021
    The art that Victor Musical Industries provided for the 3055 TRO (the Clans' IIC series) and the Comstar/WoB-exclusive mechs (which originally featured in a faction sourcebook) look a lot more appealing to me than Studio Nue's Battlemechs (other than the Shadowhawk IIC & Phoenix Hawk IIC being so different), but still don't really have the right feel to them. Just a little too sleek and stylized for Battletech IMHO.

From the Comstar Sourcebook:
    • The Nexus (25 tons)
      kd2cggr8cjs9.jpg
    • The Raijin (50 tons)
      s7702go7z8tm.jpg
    • The Grand Crusader (80 tons)
      k32gguclnmmb.jpg
    From the 3055 TRO, the IIC series of Star League-era mechs:
    • The Locust IIC (25 tons, +5 over original)
      zc78xbtlmstm.png
    • The Jenner IIC (35 tons, same as original)
      nccwhydu206j.jpg
    • The Griffin IIC (40 tons, -15 under original)
      ht4it6pniq2l.jpg
    • The Shadowhawk IIC (45 tons, -10 under original)
      smlv2tkz40az.jpg
    • The Rifleman IIC (65 tons, +5 over original)
      679bnh38t9y3.jpg
    • The Phoenix Hawk IIC (80 tons, +35 over original)
      2cyhr3shyc3y.jpg
    • The Warhammer IIC (80 tons, +10 over original)
      yy0x50ot0iba.jpg
    • The Marauder IIC (85 tons, +10 over original)
      pkqk83klyk8z.jpg
    And then there's the other second-line Clan mechs from the 3055 TRO, which were designed by VMI, but only FASA in-house artists' work has ever been published AFAIK. These were redrawn by Dana Knutson:
    • The Howler (IS reporting name: Baboon, 20 tons)
      gabmfae0znp6.jpg
    • The Incubus (IS reporting name: Vixen, 30 tons)
      ezr3iii9yxwo.jpg
    • The Horned Owl (IS reporting name: Peregrine, 35 tons)
      tgzlffkchrgi.jpg
    • The Conjurer (IS reporting name: Hellhound, 50 tons, effectively the Wolverine IIC but the Clans don't say that word)
      inufeiejpxj4.jpg
    • The Vapor Eagle (IS reporting name: Goshawk, 55 tons)
      yso01csnt7tq.png
    • The Glass Spider (IS reporting name: Galahad, 60 tons)
      xgdxpwp4ovc3.png
    • The Black Python (IS reporting name: Viper, 75 tons, not to be confused with the 40 ton Viper omnimech, known to IS Freebirths as the Dragonfly)
      can7rwkzqj28.png
    • The Bane (IS reporting name: Kraken, 100 tons)
      lx9dyzkodx1y.jpg
    • The Stone Rhino (IS reporting name: Behemoth, 100 tons)
      uu9fxnvt2v4g.png

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited September 2021
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Well, I'll just counter with:
    9k59dvwnmqr1.png

That reminds me of a really cool Gundam art book I have (Gundam M.S.ERA 0099), that's presented as an in-world photojournal of the history of the UC era from 0001-0080 (the art style is strongly reminiscent of 0080: War In The Pocket, so it's got a really gorgeous late-80's anime look). Mine's in Japanese, but they apparently did get around to making an English version at some point? It has a number of post-war scenes like that of what people got up to with the wrecked mecha and ships.
    nkqjlutvaas3.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I love all the VMI designs so damn much, and it's a crime that FASA/CGL's policy decision on artwork effectively made them Unseen for no good reason. I seriously covet all of my copies of the C* and IIc miniature sculpts based on the old art.

I would do unseemly things for the current art team to take a swing at the C* 'mechs, though, simply for the fact they've done such a damn fine job on the other Unseen.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited September 2021
    Sorry, got a little carried away there and didn't realize I was triple-posting.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I hate the Phoenixhawk IIC. That's what the Incubus or Vapor Eagle should've been (either works but iirc the Incubus is a better fit).

I hate the Phoenixhawk IIC. That's what the Incubus or Vapor Eagle should've been (either works but iirc the Incubus is a better fit).

I don't hate the PHX IIC (it's kind of neat, should've just been a new second-line Clan battlemech), but I agree with the rest of what you are saying.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I liked most of those IIC designs, especially compared to many in the same TRO. Though I never could fathom why they drew the Griffin, Shadowhawk, and Phoenix Hawk without a single weapon. And I mean, what is even going on with the Bane? Unless it was an homage to the original Stalker drawing and also been captured in the process of falling on it's ass. And let's be honest, the Black Python is a just a tiny space ship with some legs absentmindedly drawn on after the fact like something out of my middle school Trapper Keeper.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I don't hate the PHX IIC (it's kind of neat, should've just been a new second-line Clan battlemech), but I agree with the rest of what you are saying.

Yeah sorry I guess I should have clarified. I don't hate the design itself, I hate it being called a Phoenixhawk. Heck, the new design is actually really cool
    635px-jh2t84hfhkm0brwtn88t9c82cblw05n.png

I just wish it wasn't, yknow, a Phoenixhawk! Hell, move one of the UACs from the Torso to the Arm and make it a Victor IIC!

I have always and will always hate the more "anime" designs. It was just never a part of my head Canon at all. So every time they redesign a mech and make it less Robotech and more Battletech, I have one more mech to enjoy.

Which isn't to poopoo those of you who do, sorry. That was poorly put. For me it's just the way they sometimes move and how actuated they are. It's fine for an exoskeleton but it makes my brain itch on the larger scale. I can't shake the images of classic Gundam/slide flying and fully actuated arms which just doesn't float my boat except at Heavy gear/elemental sizing.

edited September 2021
    I love Gundam and Macross, but for Battletech I prefer the more rough & ready, heavy machinery redesigns we're getting as well.

I never liked the bird-man Jade Falcon mechs from MW:DA, because they felt too much like something you'd see in a Sentai show (Power Rangers, Voltron, etc) or the Brave series (such as GaoGaiGar). And there's nothing wrong with that stuff, but it felt too out of place for this IP. Like, maybe as a one-off Solaris custom, but not the sort of extravagance one of the more conservative and traditional Clans (who are characterized as having their whole combat doctrine influenced by a desire to shepherd resources) would embrace.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited September 2021
    Yeah. I like the more “industrial” and/or “this is clearly a machine of war” style for Battletech.

The Robo-Samurai of the Draconis Combine toe the line for me. They get a pass because there is an in-universe explanation that makes perfect sense in the Battletech setting.

ie: The Director at the time was way big in to samurai warrior spirit stuff and if anyone wanted that sweet, sweet Govt contract money they had to appeal to his sense of aesthetic. Logic be damned!

And that makes sense.

Edit- that’s not to say I don’t like curves too. In fact I wouldn’t mind seeming a few more here and there, but not everywhere.

Axen on
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I never liked the bird-man Jade Falcon mechs from MW:DA, because they felt too much like something you'd see in a Sentai show (Power Rangers, Voltron, etc) or the Brave series (such as GaoGaiGar). And there's nothing wrong with that stuff, but it felt too out of place for this IP.
    ie: The Director at the time was way big in to samurai warrior spirit stuff and if anyone wanted that sweet, sweet Govt contract money they had to appeal to his sense of aesthetic. Logic be damned!

Thing is, the latter era Falcon 'mechs with Claws and Partial Wings are designed that way for the same reason as the samurai Combine machines: the Falcon council wanted to more exemplify their mascot animal during a wholesale revitalization of their 'Mech forces, and so their entire design program moves in the direction of Totem 'mechs.

It may be a bit anime, but it fits within the context of a Clan that's....a little off the deep end over Clan pride.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no