As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    What do people think about the Battlemech Manual? Does it bring together enough of the rules for a worthwhile purchase, especially for someone who doesn’t own any hard copies of rules/sourcebooks?

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    What do people think about the Battlemech Manual? Does it bring together enough of the rules for a worthwhile purchase, especially for someone who doesn’t own any hard copies of rules/sourcebooks?

I personally feel it's the better first step after the AGoAC box rather than Total Warfare. For 'Mech-focused engagements it gives you a better cross section of the expanded rules (including a good chunk of post-Invasion tech) in a better organized format.

Once you decide, or if you want from the jump, to include combined arms combat (vehicles, battle armor, infantry, e.g.) then you go for Total Warfare. And then the other books for post-Invasion tech and more optional rules.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022

The BattleMech Manual is purely about rules governing Mech combat. It is fairly concise and designed to be easy to understand. YMMV on that, but it is more straightforward and convenient than digging through a bunch of other books for various rules.

The purpose of the book is to be either a stepping stone to Total Warfare and all the other fancy rules or your one stop shop for hot Mech on Mech action if that is all you figure you'll engage with.

edit- Even though I have most of the other rule books (and some day ALL OF THEM) I probably use the BattleMech Manual the most. It is convenient to own.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Nips wrote: »

I personally feel it's the better first step after the AGoAC box rather than Total Warfare. For 'Mech-focused engagements it gives you a better cross section of the expanded rules (including a good chunk of post-Invasion tech) in a better organized format.

Once you decide, or if you want from the jump, to include combined arms combat (vehicles, battle armor, infantry, e.g.) then you go for Total Warfare. And then the other books for post-Invasion tech and more optional rules.

This sounds exactly what I was hoping it would be. I was worried the Manual didn’t have enough of the late tech to justify picking it up, but the consolidation AND finally having a physical BT rulebook seems to make it worthwhile.

edited April 2022
    For full disclosure, and to fact check myself, I checked the BMM to see what equipment was actually in it.

D102oOY.jpeg

Ummm....it's more than I remembered. I think that's basically everything that's not RISC equipment?

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    That's pretty complete, yeah.

Protomech autocannon is new to me.

Edit: There's some fairly obscure electronics & other miscellaneous equipment not on there; the Clan (technically the Society) 'not-C3' Nova CEWS is one that springs to mind. Collapsible command module is another (basically a tent & rudimentary CIC set-up that rides on the back of a mech when not in use), lift-hoist & other industrial shit.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Valkyries are cool, though. Fun little scout/harasser mech. Could use a bigger backup gun, but that era was all about sacrifice and priorities.

I wish there was a 40 ton mech, between the Valkyrie and the Griffin, with an LL and an MRM-10. 6/9/6 and with the standard compliment of double heat sinks it can full jump every turn and never generate heat. Could probably pack in more stuff like LFE and FF and get an MRM-20 in there, still basically heat neutral.

I feel like that would be an extremely annoying mech to deal with if you're also a scout.

That's basically a Griffin IIC since clan LRMs don't have minimum range. 40 tons, 6/9/6, ERLL, ERSL, 4x LRM5.

Fair, but mainly I continue to be obsessed with LLs+MRMs. I love both weapons individually, and their range symmetry just makes them a great pairing in my book.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    With very, very few exceptions, the BMM has all the rules and tech you need to use even the stuff in the ilClan recguides. Even to a somewhat irritating extent, like the new Nightstar using coolant pods instead of RHS (which isn't in BMM).

Cavalieri

Mass: 60 tons
    Armor: 4 tons Ferro-Fibrous
    Armament: 6 Rocket Launcher 20
    Cruising MP: 5
    Flanking MP: 8
    BV: 488
    Cost: 1,184,000

With an established history of providing Periphery militias with low-cost, effective and uncomplicated military hardware De Luca-Zanotti Motori engineers came up with the Cavalieri “Mech Slayer” concept. Built around a gutted LRM Carrier chassis the Cavalieri sports six Rocket Launcher 20s to bring Armageddon to anyone unlucky enough to draw its attention. Powered by a DLZ-300ICE engine lets the Cavalieri quickly close in on their target and with heavily reinforced frontal armor, provided by four tons of Missaglias Armatura’s Mitrillo-71, it arrives with little worry. DLZ Sales Reps pitch the design as an investment reinforced by the Cavalieri’s tag line, “Winners get salvage”.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Valkyries are cool, though. Fun little scout/harasser mech. Could use a bigger backup gun, but that era was all about sacrifice and priorities.

I wish there was a 40 ton mech, between the Valkyrie and the Griffin, with an LL and an MRM-10. 6/9/6 and with the standard compliment of double heat sinks it can full jump every turn and never generate heat. Could probably pack in more stuff like LFE and FF and get an MRM-20 in there, still basically heat neutral.

I feel like that would be an extremely annoying mech to deal with if you're also a scout.

That's basically a Griffin IIC since clan LRMs don't have minimum range. 40 tons, 6/9/6, ERLL, ERSL, 4x LRM5.

Fair, but mainly I continue to be obsessed with LLs+MRMs. I love both weapons individually, and their range symmetry just makes them a great pairing in my book.

If it matters, the Clan LRM + Clan ER LL pair of the Griffin IIC has a similar, if not quite exact, range synergy as an MRM/LL pair, but also gets you 6 hexes more range at a cost of 8 extra heat if fired together.

Otherwise the only official mech variants with 6/9/6 movement between 35 and 50 tons with both an MRM and an Large Laser (technically an MRM-20 and ER Large, so not quite what you want) is the Chimera CMA-1S and Chimera CMA-C. But it is 40 tons with double heatsinks.

The only other thing with an MRM that even comes close is the Owens 1R. It has an MRM10 and 3 Clan ER Medium Lasers (same range brackets as a LL), but it has 8/12/0 movement and single heatsinks.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah the Owens -R is p great in my book.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Cavalieri

With an established history of providing Periphery militias with low-cost, effective and uncomplicated military hardware De Luca-Zanotti Motori engineers came up with the Cavalieri “Mech Slayer” concept. Built around a gutted LRM Carrier chassis the Cavalieri sports six Rocket Launcher 20s to bring Armageddon to anyone unlucky enough to draw its attention. Powered by a DLZ-300ICE engine lets the Cavalieri quickly close in on their target and with heavily reinforced frontal armor, provided by four tons of Missaglias Armatura’s Mitrillo-71, it arrives with little worry. DLZ Sales Reps pitch the design as an investment reinforced by the Cavalieri’s tag line, “Winners get salvage”.

... but will there actually be any salvage left after that engages anything? Let alone a full Lance or god forbid a full company.

kx3klFE.png
    If I've learned anything in my time in BATTLETECH and MechWarrior 5, it's that sometimes you just need to obliterate the opposition and pick your salvage from whatever pieces are left over.

Two Medium Lasers and the leg of a Firestarter? Well, it ain't nothin'!

Cavalieri

... but will there actually be any salvage left after that engages anything? Let alone a full Lance or god forbid a full company.

Hi HydroSqueegee,

Thanks for submitting that thoughtful question. Our product team is excited to review it and pass it on to our developers for consideration.

I’m sure you understand that we receive many great questions from our customers and we’re grateful for all of them. But we do have a limited number of developers whom we don’t want to overwhelm.

If you have any other questions, do let us know!

We appreciate your input,

Paola Colombo
    Sales Representative
    De Luca-Zanotti Motori

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    ii7tYXQ.jpg

Meet the lance proper! Now I get to wait a week before I can visit my woodworker friend start painting all my other minis >.>

If anyone asks tell them your mechs have Zimerit armor.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »
    *snip*

Meet the lance proper! Now I get to wait a week before I can visit my woodworker friend start painting all my other minis >.>

If anyone asks tell them your mechs have Zimerit armor.

Oh, it does have a name! But yeah, if anyone actually gives me crap about it I'll just compare it to the distinct armor plate seams on an original Battlemaster mini.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    On today's episode of "We have X at home": Destroids!

2NyOYY4.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    ITS GAME NIGHT!

3025, Somewhere on the fringes of the Stiner-Marik border. Gimme a Medium/Heavy lance, sub 250 tons from mechs out of the mech packs/box sets and i'll run it.

kx3klFE.png
    The Command and Battle Lances seem pretty neato right out of the box. The Heavy Lance is a bit over tonnage for what you're asking but a huge chunk of it is spent on a Banshee, so.....

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    ITS GAME NIGHT!

3025, Somewhere on the fringes of the Stiner-Marik border. Gimme a Medium/Heavy lance, sub 250 tons from mechs out of the mech packs/box sets and i'll run it.

Fun! How about:
    • Zeus
    • Grasshopper
    • Blackjack
    • Enforcer

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited May 2022
    Pics of pre-production models and products are out in the wild! Holy cats!

Spoiler for FUCK-OFF HUGE PICS, BUT YOU LIKE THEM THAT WAY, DONCHA!
    s38ad9J.jpg
    ph8OYIa.jpg
    R7964Mo.jpg
    lncEBbQ.jpg
    W6JIAHP.jpg
    WjW1oJK.jpg
    oWHFzmY.jpg
    t2UUXGA.jpg

GOLIATH! SCORPION! VEHICLES! GRIFFIN IIc! NEW INTRO BOX! OMG!

Nips on
    Oh they did the thing! The Wolverine in the Beginner's Box always bugged me! I had always been of the mind that it should've been two unique Mediums. I get they had budget constraints, but I am happy to see they replaced it with a, uh, Whitworth? I figured they'd never alter it.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Oh they did the thing! The Wolverine in the Beginner's Box always bugged me! I had always been of the mind that it should've been two unique Mediums. I get they had budget constraints, but I am happy to see they replaced it with a, uh, Whitworth? I figured they'd never alter it.

Looks like a Vindicator. Whitworth's the one with twin LRMs in the chest, 3x mlas between the forearms and head.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited May 2022
    I will have an AAR of the match tonight at some point. But for the time being we need to have a serious talk with whoever trains these pilots. To say they are poor is an understatement. The Grasshopper fell trying to stand up 3 times in one movement phase... just had to roll a 5. couldnt do it.

Highlights of the engagement include Slippery Lake, Sleepy Woods, And the mystery of who stole all rolls above a 4. Bonus content includes a Highlander giving its best impersonation of a turret and a Marauder 2 that just doesnt know how to miss.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    When in doubt, ComStar.

Have people found good sources for 3d print stuff? My local source for 3d prints has gotten REAL flaky and has suddenly become unable to print decent looking stuff.

3f4KD80.jpg
    God, Battletech is fucking cool.

Branth Aerial Beast Infantry.

• TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    What's the mech to the left of the jumping Thunderbolt? So much dakka/pew pew...

l7n41RV.png
    Tigliss wrote: »
    What's the mech to the left of the jumping Thunderbolt? So much dakka/pew pew...

Sagittaire

edited May 2022
    So why are we not talking about what Cataylist is calling Destiny Scale Mechs?

QfnuQuM.jpg[\img]

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    edited May 2022
    I saw that on Facebook earlier. I almost posted about it, but I'm also convinced that until CGL says something official it's nothing more than a one-off game someone wanted to run for KerenskyCon.

Nips on
    Also, check this hot business out:

https://hpgstation.de/2022/05/02/battletech-command/

This just makes me want to play epic scale battletech even more

kx3klFE.png
    I saw that on Facebook earlier. I almost posted about it, but I'm also convinced that until CGL says something official it's nothing more than a one-off game someone wanted to run for KerenskyCon.

Don't you go pissin on my hopes and dreams. But my wallet will weep if kits for large scale mechs come true.

kx3klFE.png
    The .de article confirmed the Big Scale game was just for funsies.

Sorry for dreams, happy for your bank account.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Marauders breakdance fighting?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Oops! All Marauders

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    So why are we not talking about what Cataylist is calling Destiny Scale Mechs?

[img]https://i.img ur.com/QfnuQuM.jpg[\img][/img]

Because we only have so much money in the tiny giant robot budget?

The .de article confirmed the Big Scale game was just for funsies.

Sorry for dreams, happy for your bank account.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

its all for the best really

kx3klFE.png
    So, Ultra ACs in Classic.

How do you all feel about the permajam? Is it too punishing or nah?