As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    And the countdown to the secondary market on Urbs hitting minimum value in three...two...one...

I'm glad about this, because I would like to get three more to make a Lance for the hell of it, but I don't need to be spending $60 on a dozen Urbanmechs.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    And the countdown to the secondary market on Urbs hitting minimum value in three...two...one...

I'm glad about this, because I would like to get three more to make a Lance for the hell of it, but I don't need to be spending $60 on a dozen Urbanmechs.

Well, you can still buy singleton salvage box Urbies, so nothing except common sense is stopping you.

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-salvage-box-urbanmech

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Ahem

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-urbanmech-company-box

:# really cashing in on the meme love arent they?

There are certain mechs I'll buy a whole company of, but the urbie is not it.

kx3klFE.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I still really wanna see a 4 v 4 of mostly slower Light mechs. Ideally nothing over 5/8/5, and preferably only one of those each

e: I imagine it like an early-Clan Star v Star, with SLDF tech. Like Operation Klondike.

ee: no fuck that gimme reinforced units. Infantry, armored or other, could be fuckin scary in an urban environment

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »
    I still really wanna see a 4 v 4 of mostly slower Light mechs. Ideally nothing over 5/8/5, and preferably only one of those each

e: I imagine it like an early-Clan Star v Star, with SLDF tech. Like Operation Klondike.

ee: no fuck that gimme reinforced units. Infantry, armored or other, could be fuckin scary in an urban environment

3025 era Urban Battalion

Company Support
    2x Long Tom
    2x Sniper
    2x Lucifer Medium Aerospace Fighter
    4x Warrior Helicopter
    2x Ferret Light Scout VTOL

Company Alpha
    1x Atlas, 1x Archer, 1x Catapult, 1x Trebuchet
    1x Grasshopper, 1x Shadow Hawk, 1x Blackjack, 1x Wolverine
    2x Demolisher Heavy Tank

Company Bravo
    2x Hunchback, 1x Hatchetman, 1x Raven
    4x Bulldog Medium Tank
    2x Manticore Heavy Tank

Company Charlie
    12x Infantry - Mechanized

kx3klFE.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah unless that's alpha strike that's way too many units for me. I was thinking 4-6 per side.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    I got to meet Bryan Young at a book signing yesterday! He’s a cool dude, writes the Fox Patrol series for Shrapnel, and wrote the recent novel A Question of Survival. Chatted with him a bit; I get the impression that the future of BT fiction is very bright.

A couple weeks ago my buddy told me they had a bunch of paint stuff coming into the FLGS soon. The day has come! 2 whole racks of Army Painter merch. Alllll the colors. And the best part is they sell bottles of the speed paint individually, so i picked up a couple bottles of the medium to make my own mixes. Also, a rattle can of uniform grey primer and this ol box here...
    jOVceqU.jpg

they got in 25 boxes in their first shipment. Had to refrain from buying a second. Eagerly awaiting the Alpha Strike box.

kx3klFE.png
    edited October 2022
    My preeeeeciiiious
    hhdD2Oh.jpg

I need about 3 more of these guys

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    My brother tried to perch his Catapult on top of a building today. I did some calculation and my Vindicator collapsed the building and he fell three levels. Didn’t crunch anything valuable but that shit was awesome.

City fighting was a brutal, good time. Kinda wish my Sha Yu didn’t bite the dust so fast but my Gravedigger Grasshopper and Spider-8Xr were super effective. Between us we ran three big tanks; me a Demolisher, and him a Marksman and Moltke. None of them died but they all had busted motives by the end.

JFC their site must be getting hammered. Can't even load the page.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    JFC their site must be getting hammered. Can't even load the page.

It's Total Warfare right now

3basnids3lf9.jpg

The much-anticipated BattleTech Mercenaries Kickstarter campaign has been officially scheduled for late March 2023.

As recently as last month, Catalyst Game Labs intended to launch the campaign in Q4 2022. However, the overwhelming recent success of BattleTech following the Clan Invasion Kickstarter necessitated the move.

“We simply can’t make new products quickly enough,” stated Loren Coleman, CGL’s founder and owner. “We’ve created more than half-dozen new BattleTech products in the past year, including the new Alpha Strike box set. Our miniature sculptors need more time to complete the designs required to launch the Mercenaries Kickstarter.”

The Mercenaries campaign will introduce over 50 new designs, including ’Mechs, armored and support vehicles, a VTOL, and a new aerospace fighter. Catalyst intends to have all of the new miniature sculpts completed before launching the next campaign, in an effort to prevent long delays in production. Though the campaign date has shifted into next year, the majority of our work will be completed prior to its launch to limit delays in fulfillment.

We are excited as you to launch this Kickstarter and can’t wait to return to the battlefield with BattleTech supporters around the world.

Goliath_Right.jpg
    Hermes-II_Front.jpg
    Rifleman-IIC_Front.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    4 legs good.
    2 legs bad better.

My birthday month! Thank you, Catalyst!

I dug in and finished my next paint project. Before, I usually just painted on a whim, but I came in with a plan this time; an entire assault lance.
    IMG_1486.jpg

My proper priming came through wonderfully, and I'm getting more comfortable with brushwork, save for some tiny details (especially some on the Banshee's arm gun, how tf did I miss that until now). I am not, however, particularly proud of my washing; I think the brush I use for it is too big, leaving pools on surfaces.

Next up, a force list for these bruisers! So many choices...

n6advpxvvapy.jpg

I already know how I'm going to paint this one.
    vhb3qqvqishr.jpg

AY-YI-YI-YI-YIIIIIIII!

Praise Kerensky they moved the date back. I have time to funnel funds into the hobby budget (which has mysteriously vanished into the depths of kickstarter hell for other projects)

kx3klFE.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Fun fact, one of the sculptors for TT is also one of the guys behind a lot of the pre-Cauldron balance issues in MWO >.>

Nobody wrote: »
    Fun fact, one of the sculptors for TT is also one of the guys behind a lot of the pre-Cauldron balance issues in MWO >.>

Well, at least now that person is doing something constructive!

Hahaha, what? Like, what time frame are we talking?

Hahaha, what? Like, what time frame are we talking?

For example, he was the one who put in the infamous PPC patch right as the Cauldron had started touching stuff.

He was also responsible for the last round of LRM changes and his name is used as a nickname for getting halved in the comp community

Ah, ok, I wasn't playing around then.

I have zero complaint about the CGL sculpts, so, carry on wayward son.

Oh yeah CGL sculpts are almost all top tier, only one I don’t really like is the Vapor Eagle.

"Vapor Eagle" is a goofy name for a mech. Great name for a Megaman boss, but not for a mech.

An unexpected convergence of three of my interests while scrolling through twitter as someone edited this photo of Dreamcatcher's Siyeon:

Into this:

"Oh that's pretty neat....hey! I know that guy in the back!"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited October 2022
    Broke out the minis for another game, this time IS vs Clan.

ANH-2A Annihilator
    KGC-000 King Crab
    HGN-732 Highlander
    All with default IS pilots

vs

Turkina-A
    Timberwolf-Prime
    All with default Clan pilots.

So, my opponent significantly out BV'ed me thanks to Clan tech and pilots, but I out-tonned and outnumbered him. He also had an incredible range advantage.

Can't give a blow by blow, but the long and short of it was:
    Opponent chose to close(!) with me instead of abusing his range advantage.
    The King Crab lost almost all of its armor, almost lost both legs, and the AC/20 bins were almost dry.
    My Highlander almost lost its entire left torso due to repeated hits in the same location. Didn't help that I went for a saucy DFA on the Timber Wolf that missed...
    Annihilator was pristine, except maybe for some heat stress from when it alpha'd the Turkina. I also forgot that LBX autocannons don't cluster like LRMs, they spread like SRMs, oops.
    The Timber Wolf tanked what it could like a champ, but when the King Crab kicked its leg off (and side torso) off and the fall damage took out the other side torso after it shutdown at 30(!) heat.
    His Turkina almost finished the job on the King Crab and Highlander, but the King Crab managed to capitalize on the previous LBX solid slug hit on the Turkina's head and carved the cockpit out with its large laser.

Nobody on
    edited October 2022
    Someone help me out here. There's a unit that uses/used all Marauders and I cant find who. Anyone know?

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    edited October 2022
    Miller's Marauders

Became Barber's Marauder IIs early Clan invasion era.

Nobody on
    edited October 2022
    Miller's Marauders

Became Barber's Marauder IIs early Clan invasion era.

nice! thanks... now i just need some official camo

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    They then became disestablished entirely by the Jade Falcon Rho Galaxy in 3064.

ho ho ho!

UTXqXkX.png

kx3klFE.png
    They then became disestablished entirely by the Jade Falcon Rho Galaxy in 3064.

I saw that...

but somehow i ended up with 3 Marauder IIs...
    eebIrLn.jpg

kx3klFE.png
    So! Planning a game, not sure if I'm going to follow through on it yet or swerve to another idea.

Operation BIRD DOG, Ryuken vs. Smoke Jaguars. Probably some sort of Objective Raid, gotta figure out the scenario yet.
    Unit		Variant		Base BV
    No-Dachi	NDA-1K		1708
    Dragon		DRG-5K		1358
    Catapult	CPLT-K2K	1716
    Akuma		AKU-1X		1959
    Tokugawa Tank	(Standard)	912
    Tokugawa Tank	(Standard)	912

VERSUS

Unit		Variant		Base BV
    Nova Cat	Prime		2530
    Warhawk		Prime		3194
    Stone Rhino	Prime		3001

Six on Three feels a little lopsided, but the BV doesn't lie. What do you all think?

are you accounting for pilot skills?

edited October 2022
    are you accounting for pilot skills?

Not yet, but of course I will. I haven't mathed out what the rest of it looks like yet, because 2:1 odds immediately gave me pause.

That said, these will be second-line garrison Clanners vs. an elite insurgent IS force. Top of my head it'll still come out close even after I skill up the pilots.

I can, of course, add and change units to either side. I just started with my painted Ryoken and Deltas as a baseline; in fact, I've left off a Nova and Mist Lynx on the Clan side due to the initial pass at matched BV.

If I add those in I'm at 12259 BV baseline on the Clan side, which I'm afraid will be hard to balance out from the IS side without having stupidly well-skilled pilots. I can always add more IS unit though to even it back out, but then I end up back toward that 2:1 unit ratio...

Nips on
    2:1 isn't necessarily bad, Clan does seem to have the edge on ranged play (IS has 5 ERPPCs and a few LRMs, while Clan has more ERPPCs, ERLLS, and Gauss). As long as they have a decently large board to work with, I could see them evening out the unit count before the DCMS can bring their larger weapon payload to bear.

I definitely get the feeling the Jags will have the advantage if the terrain allows. That is a LOT of armor on their side, combined with range. But if the Dracs can close in good enough condition that might flip the script, as with that many guns coming their way, potential knockdowns and overheating start causing major positioning troubles for the clanners.

It’s a tense setup: the Jags are on a timer to avoid getting surrounded, and the Dracs are on a timer to close the fuck in.

Sounds like a blast to play either side, honestly.

edited November 2022
    guess whos FLGS started stocking some Turbo Dork paints?

Quote the Raven, "This guy, right here." And nothing more.

RV3dPZC.jpg

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    She looks nice! I’m into it.

Anyone here have any recommendations for software for Alpha Strike? Not the playing of it, for like, unit browsing, force building, customizing, etc.