As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    She looks nice! I’m into it.

Anyone here have any recommendations for software for Alpha Strike? Not the playing of it, for like, unit browsing, force building, customizing, etc.

Is Solaris Skunk Works sill in the process of making it AS compatible?

Is our only choice the MUL?

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Thinking about that Raven and want to put a 3050 lance together that works well as a scouting/cavalry unit. Looking for recommendations on KS mechs that fit the bill.

RVN-3L, JR7-K maybe... ?, ?

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Lore wise the Jenner and Panther are best friends, so maybe a hopped up Panther?

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I thought MegaMek and MML had AS support now?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Lore wise the Jenner and Panther are best friends, so maybe a hopped up Panther?

Anything more Liao themed? Faster?

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Jenners and Panthers weren't really available to Liao, except maybe as salvaged from Davion units who had spent all their time previously fighting Dracs.

Liao didn't have much in the way of themed light mechs in 3050. The Raven was pretty much it.

They did have pretty unique access to more modern versions of the Flea (FLE-17 was stolen from the Dragoons, and the FLE-20 followed later).

Other than that, for lights it was pretty much Locusts, Wasps, Stingers, a few Javelins and Spiders, and the Urbie.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Thinking about that Raven and want to put a 3050 lance together that works well as a scouting/cavalry unit. Looking for recommendations on KS mechs that fit the bill.

For IS lights or mediums that are fast and have jumpjet variants (scout cavalry) and base chassis are part of normal Liao RAT (though perhaps not correct variants) and were in the KS then your options are pretty much Jenner, Spider, and Blackjack to go with the Raven.

Though for something slower that still has JJ options and compliments the faster scouting elements, you could swap one out for a Catapult.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Jenners and Panthers weren't really available to Liao, except maybe as salvaged from Davion units who had spent all their time previously fighting Dracs.

Liao didn't have much in the way of themed light mechs in 3050. The Raven was pretty much it.

They did have pretty unique access to more modern versions of the Flea (FLE-17 was stolen from the Dragoons, and the FLE-20 followed later).

Other than that, for lights it was pretty much Locusts, Wasps, Stingers, a few Javelins and Spiders, and the Urbie.

Spider would be a good addition. Nice harasser unit.

For IS lights or mediums that are fast and have jumpjet variants (scout cavalry) and base chassis are part of normal Liao RAT (though perhaps not correct variants) and were in the KS then your options are pretty much Jenner, Spider, and Blackjack to go with the Raven.

Though for something slower that still has JJ options and compliments the faster scouting elements, you could swap one out for a Catapult.

The Catapult idea makes me chortle mightily. Raven spots, Catapult rains down hell. Wish it was just a tad faster. Though if the Blackjack goes in there anyway, may as well put in a Pult as well.

Raven, Spider, Catapult, Blackjack... Man, what a mess of weight classes. Really need the Javelin to come out.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Capellans did often use Catapults in conjunction with Ravens.

The Capellans also often fielded augmented lances of 4 Mechs and 2 combat vehicles (or vice versa). I don't know if you want to bring vehicles in to this, but it would totally be on brand.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

The Capellans also often fielded augmented lances of 4 Mechs and 2 combat vehicles (or vice versa). I don't know if you want to bring vehicles in to this, but it would totally be on brand.

The more i hear about Liao the more i want to like them. But then i remember it Liao.

I need to get my grubby mitts on a resin printer so i can start churning out proper combined arms.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

The more i hear about Liao the more i want to like them. But then i remember it Liao.

I need to get my grubby mitts on a resin printer so i can start churning out proper combined arms.

Honestly this is everything you need to know about them.

https://youtu.be/e35BU1eB_5k

• Options
    Broke out the minis for another game, this time IS vs Clan.

ANH-2A Annihilator
    KGC-000 King Crab
    HGN-732 Highlander
    All with default IS pilots

vs

Turkina-A
    Timberwolf-Prime
    All with default Clan pilots.

So, my opponent significantly out BV'ed me thanks to Clan tech and pilots, but I out-tonned and outnumbered him. He also had an incredible range advantage.

Can't give a blow by blow, but the long and short of it was:
    Opponent chose to close(!) with me instead of abusing his range advantage.
    The King Crab lost almost all of its armor, almost lost both legs, and the AC/20 bins were almost dry.
    My Highlander almost lost its entire left torso due to repeated hits in the same location. Didn't help that I went for a saucy DFA on the Timber Wolf that missed...
    Annihilator was pristine, except maybe for some heat stress from when it alpha'd the Turkina. I also forgot that LBX autocannons don't cluster like LRMs, they spread like SRMs, oops.
    The Timber Wolf tanked what it could like a champ, but when the King Crab kicked its leg off (and side torso) off and the fall damage took out the other side torso after it shutdown at 30(!) heat.
    His Turkina almost finished the job on the King Crab and Highlander, but the King Crab managed to capitalize on the previous LBX solid slug hit on the Turkina's head and carved the cockpit out with its large laser.

My opponent wanted a rematch with the advice I gave him after the last one. I obliged, with the only change being I ran only slug ammo for my Annie (no cluster ammo to make sure the game went faster).

Highlights:
    1. My Highlander managed to get a through-armor triple(!) critical on the Timber Wolf that completely removed its gyro (seriously, 3 separate gyro hits).
    2. The Annihilator finished the job by taking off its side torso with an ammo explosion and then chewing through the CT and getting the last engine hit.
    3. His Turkina was on fire though. It missed a lot of shots early game but took out both the King Crab and Highlander....with gauss rifle head shots.
    4. The Annihilator ran dry on ammo, and lost both a hip and foot to fall down, and managed to bring home the bacon by firing prone with 3 medium pulse lasers (the Turkina had been cornered and forced to remain close after it had fallen and lost a side torso).

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Iron Oosiks coming along. Paints not even dry yet. No awards but looks better than grey.
    D8DHOrY.jpg
    5BuIiUQ.jpg

the paint crew is going through remedial training after forgetting the highlighting on the right arm.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    SSW is generally the go to method for record sheets these days right?

• Options
    SSW is generally the go to method for record sheets these days right?

That's what I use, yea

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Megamek gets the job done, too. One of these days I’ll poke SSW to see how I feel about it.

Megamek gets the nostalgia win for me because I remember futzing around with a version back in, oh, say, fucking 2006 or so.

• Options
    I use SSW the most out of the options, largely because it's so quick with minimal overhead. I want to love MM/MML more, but it feels so clunky to use sometimes.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Heavy Metal Pro was THE software to use back in the day. Was amazing. Pretty sure it died a slow death over the years.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    It was more an abrupt cessation of updates that slowly rendered it more and more unusable. And as far as I know he still has the license which is probably why there still isn't a convenient official unit builder app, as far as I know.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This had me giggling, coughing and gagging in public.
    https://youtu.be/73zK-PjmyKY

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    It was more an abrupt cessation of updates that slowly rendered it more and more unusable. And as far as I know he still has the license which is probably why there still isn't a convenient official unit builder app, as far as I know.

This makes me sad. :(

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

Battletech has licensing issues? I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

• Options
    Who picked up a cheap pair of +2 reading glasses at Target? this guy right here
    4SzWnGH.jpg

I can actually paint nooks and crannies now!

P.S. Thats some rough primer. oof.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    4SzWnGH.jpg

Rough texture is likely from spraying in really low humidity, too far away, or in breezy conditions. The paint is drying before it ever hits the model, so it sticks but doesn't flow out into a smooth surface. But different paints can also react differently even in the same conditions. I had a can of white that did that, but a can of blue on the same day came out normally.

• Options
    4SzWnGH.jpg

Rough texture is likely from spraying in really low humidity, too far away, or in breezy conditions. The paint is drying before it ever hits the model, so it sticks but doesn't flow out into a smooth surface. But different paints can also react differently even in the same conditions. I had a can of white that did that, but a can of blue on the same day came out normally.

Good tips. I sprayed that guy back in the summer. So it was hot and dry for sure. Probably too far away to boot. Really need a spray booth.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Also white rattle can primer is just not good universally. Something about the paint or the can or both. Regardless of brand.

Citadel has recently come out with a new rattle can white that is actually good though. I don’t know what sort of dark magic they use, but I can attest to its silky smoothness.

• Options
    Also white rattle can primer is just not good universally. Something about the paint or the can or both. Regardless of brand.

Citadel has recently come out with a new rattle can white that is actually good though. I don’t know what sort of dark magic they use, but I can attest to its silky smoothness.

I bought a can of that. It's really, really good. But do damn expensive. Almost twice the price for half the paint as the army painter stuff.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Get yourself some Colourforge cans if you can get them. Cheaper than citadel, twice the size and just flat better in every way. No problems with their white at all though I personally prefer Ghoul Grey which is a grey so light that it's more an off white.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Get yourself some Colourforge cans if you can get them. Cheaper than citadel, twice the size and just flat better in every way. No problems with their white at all though I personally prefer Ghoul Grey which is a grey so light that it's more an off white.

According to their map it's all in the UK and the cart doesn't seem to want to ship to the states. But at 12$ a can for 500 ml it isn't a horrible price. If it goes on smoother than Army Painter it would be worth the cost. Here AP costs 13$ a can for 750 ml. So now I've gotta figure out a way to get my hands on a couple cans of the stuff.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Trying to make a push to get the backlog done. These guys have only been sitting for a couple months...
    bAgvpAw.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/reinforcements-clan-invasion

A niche product but it’s on a pretty steep discount.

• Options
    Man, I have zero need for standee, but the Twycross maps and rules sound awesome.

• Options
    https://bg.battletech.com/news/now-available-battlemech-recognition-guide-vol-26-update-on-alpha-strike-boxed-set/

AS box set hitting warehouses on the 15th, available on the CGL web store the 25th.

• Options
    https://bg.battletech.com/news/now-available-battlemech-recognition-guide-vol-26-update-on-alpha-strike-boxed-set/

AS box set hitting warehouses on the 15th, available on the CGL web store the 25th.

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Yeah I’m buying in. Don’t need another beginners box but $18 for the rest of those is insane.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yeah I’m buying in. Don’t need another beginners box but $18 for the rest of those is insane.

I didn't realize it included the physical Beginner's Box at the $30 level. Glad that you mentioned that so I can go in on the $18 level.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

I didn't realize it included the physical Beginner's Box at the $30 level. Glad that you mentioned that so I can go in on the $18 level.

$30 but not including shipping, @Betsuni

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Well that was money well spent. Basically $20 for the beginner box, so not much saved there. But I welcome yet another Vindicator to the party.

oh man, so much good content i would have never gotten otherwise

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Decided to do $52; that's basically buying the box and then $1 per pdf. Felt like the highest number I could easily justify.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac