As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Home Networking] And You

1235»

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Anyone have much experience with modern MOCA adapters, specifically the Actiontec (now Speedbeam????) ECB6250? They link up just fine but do not perform anywhere near their advertised rates - iperf3 only pulling 280Mbps in a nearly ideal test environment (direct connect with Cat5e cable hits 1000Mbps easy).

Define "ideal test". Is it 75ohm coax and in good condition? Are your splitters MoCA compatible? Are the devices the same model and are they set to use bonded channels vs a single channel? What is the device itself reporting as it's link rate? If it showing gigabit+ speeds, the issue is not with the coax link. Have you tried iperf with the "-P 10" option? If you get higher speeds on the parallel stream test, you may have an MTU issue, forcing retransmits and packet fragmentation that will reduce single stream speeds.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Shadowfire
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Anyone have much experience with modern MOCA adapters, specifically the Actiontec (now Speedbeam????) ECB6250? They link up just fine but do not perform anywhere near their advertised rates - iperf3 only pulling 280Mbps in a nearly ideal test environment (direct connect with Cat5e cable hits 1000Mbps easy).

Define "ideal test". Is it 75ohm coax and in good condition? Are your splitters MoCA compatible? Are the devices the same model and are they set to use bonded channels vs a single channel? What is the device itself reporting as it's link rate? If it showing gigabit+ speeds, the issue is not with the coax link. Have you tried iperf with the "-P 10" option? If you get higher speeds on the parallel stream test, you may have an MTU issue, forcing retransmits and packet fragmentation that will reduce single stream speeds.

The 2 MOCA adapters are identical, and they are hooked up directly with looks to be high quality coax (it's not stamped with the ohm rating but it's Amphenol T10 via a Comcast installer kit from roughly ~3 years ago). No splitters or other hardware in between. The link rate is listed in the 3000Mbps+ range in the Actiontec web UI.

I did do iperf -P 10 and got extremely close to gigabit speeds. I'm presently using this test setup in place of the Cat6 for my desktop's link to my network and Steam downloads are maxing exactly where they do on pure Ethernet, so I'm guessing your assessment of MTU interacting with iperf negatively is close to the truth.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    There's an Orbi pack on sale at Costco. I'm considering it since I'm starting to get flack that our current "traditional" wifi isn't providing good enough service upstairs (don't read into it too much; it's something ongoing).

I'm currently using Netgear and like their hardware. I have a conflicting relationship with TPLink and I believe there were data security concerns with them recently(?)

This particular Orbi is the AX4200. Main hub + 2 satellites