As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Home Networking] And You

12346»

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    You can use amazon echo dots as wireless intercoms I think.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Gilgaron
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You can with Google devices too. But it's definitely not encrypted.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Gilgaron
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    In fact probably recording everything you say and sending it to a data farm, so like the opposite of encrypted :P

BahamutZERO.gif
    Trajan45Inquisitor77
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    You can with Google devices too. But it's definitely not encrypted.

This made me curious so I was looking around and I found this
    https://arxiv.org/pdf/2105.13500.pdf

So it seems the traffic is end to end encrypted over TLS to the Amazon servers. But if you are wanting something that is encrypted in a way the provider can't listen to traffic that is another thing. But to say it's not encrypted isn't accurate.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Encrypted less for privacy and more because it's proprietary saleable data that belongs to amazon now

BahamutZERO.gif
    ShadowfireOrcajungleroomxInquisitor77
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    The Unifi AP never showed from Amazon so I bought a 2 pack from Ebay. They arrived today and it took me 5mins to set it up. No issues.

Planning to mount the second downstairs once I find my other PoE injector

BahamutZEROTrajan45Shadowfire
  • MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    Both APs up and working. Comment from my wife: "You don't need to give me a new (longer) ethernet cable because I don't drop out of Teams calls anymore"

So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

I'm really happy with these bad boys. Ended up going with AP-AC-Pro for both. Hella overkill but now all devices that matter show max bars, and the hardware is less obtrusive.

Big thanks to I think @Shadowfire for pointing out the Unifi app for setting up the APs. It was super easy; no CloudKey or Cloud Machine needed

ShadowfireNipsDisruptedCapitalistFleeb
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yay, so glad it's working!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Has anyone here tried the Verizon 5G home internet service? We have Spectrum/cable right now and I'm happy with it but it does look like this might be cheaper... I'd worry about bandwidth and latency with working from home these days and am prejudiced against going wireless but willing to entertain the idea that I'm being old fashioned wanting a wire.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Hey, I just had a quick question about something that Is baffling me, I have a standard linksys router, and bought a netgear mesh extender/access point. Sometimes now I get a problem with IE saying that the connection is not private or an SSL error that I suspect is from my computer losing signal from the main router and switching to the mesh access point. Is this normal or is there anything I can do?

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Hey, I just had a quick question about something that Is baffling me, I have a standard linksys router, and bought a netgear mesh extender/access point. Sometimes now I get a problem with IE saying that the connection is not private or an SSL error that I suspect is from my computer losing signal from the main router and switching to the mesh access point. Is this normal or is there anything I can do?

Try disabling Access Control on the Netgear device. Even if there are no devices in the block list to indicate blocking you. The Netgear is redirecting blocked traffic to its own login page that has an untrusted self-signed certificate, hence the SSL warning.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So I've just realized that even though I have a 2Gpbs internet connection and a 16Gpbs switch, most of my cables are CAT5 or CAT5e. I'm seeing we're all the way up to CAT8 now which seems like way too much, but also weirdly not that expensive? Should I just go CAT8 for future proofing? And is there a recommended brand out there or should I just grab whatever has good user reviews?