As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Finished floor 1 of my iron ingot facility. 1200 ingots/min per level, 2 levels total. They'll be conveyor lifted downwards to a train loading dock to be shipped to the eastern desert when I go there.

zvcudrg369de.jpg
    c42z8ycblgz7.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    ShortyTynnanSporkAndrewDirtyboyMysstElvenshaeKruite
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    so I was thinking about my layout last night and was looking through the earlier thread at lunch, when I came across those compact plans. I got home and immediately retooled my smelting process, and am working on manufacturing now

production, ahoy!

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Shortywebguy20Elvenshae
    so the good news is I have two story smelting operation, a 3 story smart plating operation, and a hypertube between my steel/coal power and my main factory.

bad news is my breakers kept tripping, I couldn't figure out why, then had a sudden loss of considerable output after I added a fifth coal plant, which turned out to be cause I accidentally deleted the pipe feeding 3 existing plants. this game needs disconnects so I can shutdown portions all at once

ikbUJdU.jpg
    webguy20SporkAndrewKwoaru
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    so the good news is I have two story smelting operation, a 3 story smart plating operation, and a hypertube between my steel/coal power and my main factory.

bad news is my breakers kept tripping, I couldn't figure out why, then had a sudden loss of considerable output after I added a fifth coal plant, which turned out to be cause I accidentally deleted the pipe feeding 3 existing plants. this game needs disconnects so I can shutdown portions all at once

Check out reddit. Folks have made some pretty cool electrical sub stations so they can cleanly sever power.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Just finished putting together 4 pipelines from an oil patch. I have overclocked the oil nodes so they are capable of producing a total of 1200 m^3/min of crude.

I have devoted up to 300 m^3/min for fuel generators (plant is doesn't need all of it just yet) with a slip stream producing plastic containers and packaged fuel. I think 3 industrial storage units of fuel is enough to last me a while.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the rest; I may be able to get my computer factory back online; but it is in a terrible spot because it's right on top of 2 limestone nodes, 6 iron nodes, and at least 2 copper nodes. I built this thing initially to process caternium (which is now not running, hit capacity storage) but it seems like it would be better as a raw materials handling.

any suggestions as to where to locate a computer factory? I have crystal but it's in a valley very far away

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Just finished putting together 4 pipelines from an oil patch. I have overclocked the oil nodes so they are capable of producing a total of 1200 m^3/min of crude.

I have devoted up to 300 m^3/min for fuel generators (plant is doesn't need all of it just yet) with a slip stream producing plastic containers and packaged fuel. I think 3 industrial storage units of fuel is enough to last me a while.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the rest; I may be able to get my computer factory back online; but it is in a terrible spot because it's right on top of 2 limestone nodes, 6 iron nodes, and at least 2 copper nodes. I built this thing initially to process caternium (which is now not running, hit capacity storage) but it seems like it would be better as a raw materials handling.

any suggestions as to where to locate a computer factory? I have crystal but it's in a valley very far away

Somewhere that crystal and caterium are in close proximity.

As for the oil, depends on how many high level products you want to make. I use about 900cm/min of oil between power and rubber/plastic. But I also only really did a 1-2 machines worth of high level products like Supercomputers and Turbomotors.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    Unfortunately I don't think there's crystal nearby the spot I put the computer factory/oil processing. I will double check on the morrow.

Kruite wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't think there's crystal nearby the spot I put the computer factory/oil processing. I will double check on the morrow.

You might want to import it then, the best recipes in computer production use mostly copper, silica, caterium, and rubber.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am the best at planning expeditions. I got tiers 5&6 unlocked and went searching for crude oil. I made sure to first check what you needed for an extractor and got the materials in my pocket then set out on the 1km trek to the pure node in some shallows. When I got there I started building a little refinery plant that also acted as a "there's monsters out there, encase yourself in concrete" safehouse but ran out of concrete after laying some foundations.

Then I got the extractor built, connected up to my power, built a refinery to look at recipes and then ran out of copper sheets to connect up the oil.

So I ran the 1km back to my main base, stocked up on concrete and copper sheets and went back, built another refinery so I could see how fuel to reclaimed plastic would work and realised I'd need a water extractor, but didn't have the materials for that. Another trip back and I was missing something to build the fluid buffer because I don't actually have anything to do with the fuel I'm generating as I can't seem to build the empty canisters to package it in

So I think all in all my engineer ran about 10km last night and I still don't have anything useful happening at my oil refinery

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    webguy20TynnanMysst
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    A week ago i ripped up my factory and adjusted the heights of all the floors so they were even and in a nice pattern

Then I got computers up and running again, and son of a bitch the stupid indicator light on the manufacturer poked up through the floor above it

So yesterday I ripped it all out again expanded each floor by one large foundation which fixed the clipping issue

I didn't feel like reinstalling production lines yet so instead I did detailing on one side to try and figure out how I wanted to make the sides of the factory look, eventually I'm gonna clean up that giant floating bridge because it doesn't line up with the sides of the base at all but for now I like how the windows came out
    x69JCgi.jpg

2x39jD4.jpg
    SporkAndrewwebguy20TynnanRadiation
    I see you use all different sizes of foundations. Any particular reason? I usually stick with the full size ones myself, keeps the action bar cleaner.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I am the best at planning expeditions. I got tiers 5&6 unlocked and went searching for crude oil. I made sure to first check what you needed for an extractor and got the materials in my pocket then set out on the 1km trek to the pure node in some shallows. When I got there I started building a little refinery plant that also acted as a "there's monsters out there, encase yourself in concrete" safehouse but ran out of concrete after laying some foundations.

Then I got the extractor built, connected up to my power, built a refinery to look at recipes and then ran out of copper sheets to connect up the oil.

So I ran the 1km back to my main base, stocked up on concrete and copper sheets and went back, built another refinery so I could see how fuel to reclaimed plastic would work and realised I'd need a water extractor, but didn't have the materials for that. Another trip back and I was missing something to build the fluid buffer because I don't actually have anything to do with the fuel I'm generating as I can't seem to build the empty canisters to package it in

So I think all in all my engineer ran about 10km last night and I still don't have anything useful happening at my oil refinery

these days when I plan an expedition I take a truck and pack it with the parts I'm gonna need for a long-ass hypertube

webguy20AlanF5
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I see you use all different sizes of foundations. Any particular reason? I usually stick with the full size ones myself, keeps the action bar cleaner.

I just think the full size ones look a little too chunky to use as floors, and the 1m thick ones are thin enough that some things you place will clip down through them (bottoms of power poles, sparks from some machine animations) so I use 2m thick floors for anything I'm placing a machine or power pole on and then I use the 1m thick foundations for my sub floors because all I'm putting there are conveyor poles and splitters and they dont have any clipping issues

I usually just have the 2m ones on my bar, if I need to place a 1m or 4m then I'll do it once from the build menu then using the middle mouse button eye dropper makes it easy to place any additional 1m or 4m foundations

The eye dropper is incredibly useful for doing renovations without going crazy juggling bar slots or opening the build menu

2x39jD4.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I use the glass foundations probably too much, I think they actually have an effect on performance once you start to have a lot of buildings on multiple floors

I'll probably start using solid foundations between production floors

Shorty wrote: »

these days when I plan an expedition I take a truck and pack it with the parts I'm gonna need for a long-ass hypertube

I can't build a truck without packaged fuel to drive it (I think). And I can't get packaged fuel without researching plastic?

I don't know, it's kind of hazy. I've been playing late into the night

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    edited April 2020
    I use the glass foundations probably too much, I think they actually have an effect on performance once you start to have a lot of buildings on multiple floors

I'll probably start using solid foundations between production floors

Yeah I definitely think it affects performance if theres enough glass effects happening at once

I kinda wish there was a way to turn off or turn down all the glass-ness of windows and floors because really what I want is a nice looking wall that lets light in but also prevents me from falling off my factory if I'm not paying attention, I don't really need it to be reflective or foggy at all

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg

I can't build a truck without packaged fuel to drive it (I think). And I can't get packaged fuel without researching plastic?

I don't know, it's kind of hazy. I've been playing late into the night

nope, all the vehicles are totally undiscerning about what type of fuel you stick in 'em! anything that can be used as fuel anywhere in the game will work in a tractor, truck, or the explorer.

you can run a truck on leaves or flower petals if you want

before you can refine and package fuel, solid biofuel is the most efficient, though coal is also a good option because it's easier to get a lot of

Kwoaru wrote: »

I just think the full size ones look a little too chunky to use as floors, and the 1m thick ones are thin enough that some things you place will clip down through them (bottoms of power poles, sparks from some machine animations) so I use 2m thick floors for anything I'm placing a machine or power pole on and then I use the 1m thick foundations for my sub floors because all I'm putting there are conveyor poles and splitters and they dont have any clipping issues

I usually just have the 2m ones on my bar, if I need to place a 1m or 4m then I'll do it once from the build menu then using the middle mouse button eye dropper makes it easy to place any additional 1m or 4m foundations

The eye dropper is incredibly useful for doing renovations without going crazy juggling bar slots or opening the build menu

That makes sense. I use the 4m ones because they match up with the walls for the most part. As far as glass floors go, I think they can work for a multi tier building, just don't make the whole floor glass. I like running a one or two wide strip down the middle. Lets it look cool and I don't get too much rendering issue. Also they go reflective after about 40-48m, so a really tall factory won't show everything anyways.

What?

No way!

I'm building a truck!

As soon as I get computers and heavy modular frames, that is

webguy20RadiationShorty
    I generally use the 2m foundations because that's extra room for the subfloor layer with all my belts.

I use the big ones for areas that will clip into the ground.

webguy20
    Well, I unlocked trains. I decided now is the time to build a mega structure at the top of the cliff that's near the starting area

webguy20RadiationDirtyboySporkAndrew
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    What?

No way!

I'm building a truck!

As soon as I get computers and heavy modular frames, that is

The real vehicle to build:

UjPE0lt.png

JedocMysstTynnanShortywebguy20SporkAndrew
    Stairs: they just don't go in quite right, do they

ikbUJdU.jpg
    webguy20ShortyKruiteSporkAndrew
    Yall didn't tell me I had to do math now that I'm running coal, goddamn plumbing

ikbUJdU.jpg
    webguy20ShortyTynnan
    Yall didn't tell me I had to do math now that I'm running coal, goddamn plumbing

Wait till you get to oil and all the derivative products.

ShortyKwoaruTynnan

Wait till you get to oil and all the derivative products.

Throw em all on the resource sink, let ficsit sort em out

2x39jD4.jpg
    TynnanShortySporkAndrew
    edited April 2020
    Hey I have pics!

This is the Computer factory being upgraded; it shall also be some sort of truck/resupply station; I have 6 irons nodes, 2 limestone nodes, and a 2 copper nodes nearby; caternium is being redirected here, and crude oil processing is right next door.
    jow3amxkkwva.gif

200 plastic per minute with the residual fluid converted to fuel for burning. I think it's a net gain of 240 MW when not including the oil well.
    xpn47pdxdjff.gif

A nice view of the waterfall
    425hb30ja2z1.gif

Kruite on
    SporkAndrewKwoaruwebguy20DirtyboyAlanF5spono
    edited April 2020
    pictures!
    here's my complete integrated facility for producing versatile frames and smart plating. it's evenly efficient except that it produces extra rotors, which I am currently sinking because I have another machine in my primary facility producing extras for building stuff.
    as65arnlzifo.jpg

here's a shot of the main assembly floor.

jet802e3enm2.jpg

and here's my current work in progress, a sister facility for modular engines and uh...the other project part I need right now that I can't remember.

3bmx565s6zl8.jpg

here's a closer shot. as you can see, I'm using trucks to bring the parts I need from the rest of my factories. I've got the production for modular engines up and running, and it works shockingly well. I'd say that what this kind of setup saves you over running belts the whole way is a cleaner landscape (which also means better visual performance, if that matters to you), and lower upfront costs. you do have to keep your trucks fueled though, so you're still going to have at least one belt mucking things up. I happened to be belting in coal for steel production anyway so all I had to do was place a splitter and route it in. I will also say that having a bigass truck zooming around is rad as hell.

08jk5j1d8xi5.jpg

trucks! they're neat!

oh one thing I will add if you want to try using trucks for this kind of distribution: this isn't really possible if you haven't unlocked smart splitters, so, get into that caterium tree

otherwise if you want to distribute multiple types of item, you'll have to use one truck and two stations for each type, which is probably more trouble than it's worth

Shorty on
    KruiteTynnanDirtyboySporkAndrewspono
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I wish the space elevator had some ridiculous place holder goals at the end so that you have some huge directed goal to work towards once you've accomplished all the current content. You can kind of do it with sink tickets for statues but ehhh

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    there probably will be something like that in the release version

at the very least, there are going to be two more tiers of milestones, and both of them will require project parts to unlock

Quid
    is there a way to align to a master grid?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    is there a way to align to a master grid?

Set down foundations, which act as a snap-to grid

Otherwise no, there is no overarching grid.

Tynnan
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Step one: Pave over the entire planet with a giant floating layer of foundations, which you were going to do anyway at some point.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    SporkAndrew
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Step one: Pave over the entire planet with a giant floating layer of foundations, which you were going to do anyway at some point.

Funnily enough if you do this, you end up with alignment errors hundreds of foundations away due to the way the system rounds off the floating point math results. You can send stringers off to create new foundation areas, but huge ones will start to show issues.

For example if you tried to build a square out of a single wide foundation going around the map, and started in the ne? The sw corner wouldn't align correctly.

ShortyTynnan
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Burn it all down, this is unacceptable.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    webguy20Shorty
    edited April 2020
    Eventually when I implement Nuclear power, I am 100% planning to pave over the horrible poison spider swamp.

Every last inch of it.

MuddBudd on
    Tynnanwebguy20
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Eventually when I implement Nuclear power, I am 100% planning to pave over the horrible poison spider swamp.

Every last inch of it.

I love watching people use noblisks to clear cut it.

my first pictures!
    mw0gsaz9uu65.jpg

my initial factory floor, currently making rotors and modular framework that's just being made into coupons. slowly. it's a waste but I'm not focused on it atm

zg2mkyxmfrv6.jpg

my power factory! this is what failed when I burned through more water than I knew I would

m130nvko6nfl.jpg

my cleaned up solution to the water shortage. originally this was going along the ground to the factory but I wanted it clean and expandable.

s1rcrlr8ss4l.jpg

obscured by foliage, it's the old power factory/steel mill adhoc'd automated wiring plant. I have so much steel and coal stored here that I am dreading moving it

f0dfa280966w.jpg

and here's the business side of the coal generators. I think that when I go to expand it'll handle it pretty well. not sure how much I'll need to, I'm supplying 855MW but only using 325 or so? I still need a versatile framework plant tho, as well as expanding everything else for more production

ikbUJdU.jpg
    TynnanJedocMuddBuddSporkAndrewspono
    Hey for the stairs, the shiny silver middle column support sections fit perfectly in the middle. Keeps you from falling.

KruiteAlanF5