As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

1356785

Posts

  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    a couple days ago I had to reload a save because my truck rolled down a hill and wedged itself behind some rocks

    the vehicles, generally, I've not been impressed with, though I'm about to unlock the explorer so maybe it's better

  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    a couple days ago I had to reload a save because my truck rolled down a hill and wedged itself behind some rocks

    the vehicles, generally, I've not been impressed with, though I'm about to unlock the explorer so maybe it's better

    Oh no, it's not, in the most hilarious ways. Also if you didn't know, you can break down the vehicles just like you can a conveyor belt or building. So if you get one stuck or whatever you can just break the vehicle down and rebuild it back on it's wheels.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Quid
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that one was full of stuff that I didn't have room for in my inventory because I was taking it out to build a new production line, so it was easier just to reload

  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Now that I have automated all the components, exploiting the other half of that oil node was a lot quicker.

    fhG8l6O.png

    It's hard to read there but this plus my coal plant and the residual fuel from my rubber/plastic refineries brings my total power up to just over 11k now. Which is good because I'm going to have to get aluminum production going soon, as well as supercomputers.

    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    SporkAndrewJedocKwoaru
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Now that I have automated all the components, exploiting the other half of that oil node was a lot quicker.

    fhG8l6O.png

    It's hard to read there but this plus my coal plant and the residual fuel from my rubber/plastic refineries brings my total power up to just over 11k now. Which is good because I'm going to have to get aluminum production going soon, as well as supercomputers.

    Jeeze that only gets you to 11k? I figured with a set up like that you'd be in the 20s.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Now that I have automated all the components, exploiting the other half of that oil node was a lot quicker.

    fhG8l6O.png

    It's hard to read there but this plus my coal plant and the residual fuel from my rubber/plastic refineries brings my total power up to just over 11k now. Which is good because I'm going to have to get aluminum production going soon, as well as supercomputers.

    Jeeze that only gets you to 11k? I figured with a set up like that you'd be in the 20s.

    I mean, its about 8k for that whole thing, vs around 2k if I just made the basic fuel recipe. (granted that would also take about 40 less machines too) Add 2400MW from my coal plant, and a small amount of power leftover from rubber/plastic production.

    It's more than enough for now, and I have a second pure oil node right there (along with a bunch of normal and impure) that I can exploit if I need to. I suspect I might just jump right to nuclear after this, however. Unless I am vastly underestimating how much power I'll need for Tier 7 stuff.

    I need to finish unlocking geothermal power too.

    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Now that I have automated all the components, exploiting the other half of that oil node was a lot quicker.

    fhG8l6O.png

    It's hard to read there but this plus my coal plant and the residual fuel from my rubber/plastic refineries brings my total power up to just over 11k now. Which is good because I'm going to have to get aluminum production going soon, as well as supercomputers.

    Jeeze that only gets you to 11k? I figured with a set up like that you'd be in the 20s.

    I mean, its about 8k for that whole thing, vs around 2k if I just made the basic fuel recipe. (granted that would also take about 40 less machines too) Add 2400MW from my coal plant, and a small amount of power leftover from rubber/plastic production.

    It's more than enough for now, and I have a second pure oil node right there (along with a bunch of normal and impure) that I can exploit if I need to. I suspect I might just jump right to nuclear after this, however. Unless I am vastly underestimating how much power I'll need for Tier 7 stuff.

    I need to finish unlocking geothermal power too.

    Yea Geothermal adds what, 2.4Gw if you tap all the nodes? How do you unlock it now anyways? I have two nodes near me.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it's at the end of the Caterium research tree

    webguy20
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Now that I have automated all the components, exploiting the other half of that oil node was a lot quicker.

    fhG8l6O.png

    It's hard to read there but this plus my coal plant and the residual fuel from my rubber/plastic refineries brings my total power up to just over 11k now. Which is good because I'm going to have to get aluminum production going soon, as well as supercomputers.

    Jeeze that only gets you to 11k? I figured with a set up like that you'd be in the 20s.

    I mean, its about 8k for that whole thing, vs around 2k if I just made the basic fuel recipe. (granted that would also take about 40 less machines too) Add 2400MW from my coal plant, and a small amount of power leftover from rubber/plastic production.

    It's more than enough for now, and I have a second pure oil node right there (along with a bunch of normal and impure) that I can exploit if I need to. I suspect I might just jump right to nuclear after this, however. Unless I am vastly underestimating how much power I'll need for Tier 7 stuff.

    I need to finish unlocking geothermal power too.

    Yea Geothermal adds what, 2.4Gw if you tap all the nodes? How do you unlock it now anyways? I have two nodes near me.

    It's now at the very bottom of the Caterium research tree in the MAM. You'll need to be able to make AI limiters, High-speed connectors, and supercomputers to unlock it.

    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh also with multiplayer there's a current bug where only the host can pick up leaves and flowers.

    The flip side of the bug is other users can use the chainsaw infinite times on any plant.

  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the chainsaw is probably my favorite piece of equipment tbh

    I've been off biofuel for ages but I still carry it just because it's so nice for clearing brush

    Tynnanwebguy20KwoaruQuidSporkAndrewI Zimbra
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Now that I have automated all the components, exploiting the other half of that oil node was a lot quicker.

    fhG8l6O.png

    It's hard to read there but this plus my coal plant and the residual fuel from my rubber/plastic refineries brings my total power up to just over 11k now. Which is good because I'm going to have to get aluminum production going soon, as well as supercomputers.

    Jeeze that only gets you to 11k? I figured with a set up like that you'd be in the 20s.

    I mean, its about 8k for that whole thing, vs around 2k if I just made the basic fuel recipe. (granted that would also take about 40 less machines too) Add 2400MW from my coal plant, and a small amount of power leftover from rubber/plastic production.

    It's more than enough for now, and I have a second pure oil node right there (along with a bunch of normal and impure) that I can exploit if I need to. I suspect I might just jump right to nuclear after this, however. Unless I am vastly underestimating how much power I'll need for Tier 7 stuff.

    I need to finish unlocking geothermal power too.

    Yea Geothermal adds what, 2.4Gw if you tap all the nodes? How do you unlock it now anyways? I have two nodes near me.

    It's now at the very bottom of the Caterium research tree in the MAM. You'll need to be able to make AI limiters, High-speed connectors, and supercomputers to unlock it.

    That seems like it's way too much work for what you get out of it.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I will never ever have time to play this, but I love looking at pictures of these factories

    Keep em coming

    640qocnq4ske.gif
    webguy20TankHammer
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Now that I have automated all the components, exploiting the other half of that oil node was a lot quicker.

    fhG8l6O.png

    It's hard to read there but this plus my coal plant and the residual fuel from my rubber/plastic refineries brings my total power up to just over 11k now. Which is good because I'm going to have to get aluminum production going soon, as well as supercomputers.

    Jeeze that only gets you to 11k? I figured with a set up like that you'd be in the 20s.

    I mean, its about 8k for that whole thing, vs around 2k if I just made the basic fuel recipe. (granted that would also take about 40 less machines too) Add 2400MW from my coal plant, and a small amount of power leftover from rubber/plastic production.

    It's more than enough for now, and I have a second pure oil node right there (along with a bunch of normal and impure) that I can exploit if I need to. I suspect I might just jump right to nuclear after this, however. Unless I am vastly underestimating how much power I'll need for Tier 7 stuff.

    I need to finish unlocking geothermal power too.

    Yea Geothermal adds what, 2.4Gw if you tap all the nodes? How do you unlock it now anyways? I have two nodes near me.

    It's now at the very bottom of the Caterium research tree in the MAM. You'll need to be able to make AI limiters, High-speed connectors, and supercomputers to unlock it.

    That seems like it's way too much work for what you get out of it.

    I dunno, it's still seems very good to me. Especially because of the way it gets used. Geothermal power ALWAYS gets used up first. If you have 600MW of power from one, then that gets used, entirely, before your factory taps any power source that uses fuel. Aside from the fuel savings, that can be very helpful if you miscalculate and need to reboot the system at any point.

    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    TynnanJedocwebguy20
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I've gotten turbofuel up and running. I've only installed 1/6th of the possible fuel generators on the array, but I've got one overclocked oil well providing 300 cubic meters pm of crude. That crude goes to ten refineries, producing heavy residue and resin. The resin goes to a sink, and the heavy residue is sent directly to two banks of five refineries (300 cubic meters of crude makes 400 cubic meters pm of heavy residue, so I have to send the output through two pipes). Those ten refineries receive that residue and compacted coal from the train station and produce 300 cubic meters of turbofuel. At 4.5 cubic meters per minute per generator, that 300 cubic meters can supply 66 and 2/3rds fuel generators for a neat 10 GW of power.

  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Finished up my steel factory for the most part. Just have to hook up the inputs and outputs for the encased industrial pipe assemblers. Also I realized I have the steel rotor recipe, so I think with some of the spare room and materials I'm going to set up some rotor, stator and motor assembly, as I'm just about out of both with no production lines running. There should be just enough room on all the levels to produce what I need.

    I do love running things underfloor though. God it is just so neat and tidy looking.

    2qe9p9j5d06f.jpg
    elqt2koz88qh.jpg

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    TynnanMuddBuddsponoSporkAndrewKruite
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Tynnan wrote: »
    I've gotten turbofuel up and running. I've only installed 1/6th of the possible fuel generators on the array, but I've got one overclocked oil well providing 300 cubic meters pm of crude. That crude goes to ten refineries, producing heavy residue and resin. The resin goes to a sink, and the heavy residue is sent directly to two banks of five refineries (300 cubic meters of crude makes 400 cubic meters pm of heavy residue, so I have to send the output through two pipes). Those ten refineries receive that residue and compacted coal from the train station and produce 300 cubic meters of turbofuel. At 4.5 cubic meters per minute per generator, that 300 cubic meters can supply 66 and 2/3rds fuel generators for a neat 10 GW of power.

    Very Nice. That beats out the diluted fuel loop by a good 2k. And sounds WAY less complicated to set up.

    But what if... hmm...

    Hang on, doing some math.

    MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    It's so simple. I finally got around to heading out to my refinery field to set it up and threw down the rows of refiners, and it was like "that's it? huh."

    webguy20Elvenshae
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    My buddy and I are going full sprawl. Screw planning, screw efficiency, conveyor belt the world.

    TynnanShortyJedocwebguy20ElvenshaeBeef Avenger
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So, I had not yet added Turbofuel into my spreadsheet. But I have now.

    Looking at this, there are two Turbofuel recipes.

    1 - Turbofuel out of Fuel and Compacted Coal - 18.75 Turbofuel/min
    2 - Turbofuel out of Heavy Oil Residue and Compacted Coal - 30 Turbofuel/min

    You appear to be using the Recipe #2, which, if my math is right, should support 71.11 Generators for a total 10.66 GW of power (10.05GW Net). This also requires 320 Compacted Coal/min. This is also a pretty clean and simple loop, but requires adding 10.66 refineries just to make the turbofuel.

    However, even though Recipe #1 has a lower production amount by over a third, the fuel gains from the diluted packaged fuel loop still come out on top, it looks like. For the additional cost of 533.33 Compacted Coal/min, you can support a grand total of 148.15 Generators for a whopping 22.22GW of power (19.66GW Net). All from a single 300cm/min pipe. This would require adding another 36.56 refineries to make the Turbofuel (on top of the 50+ machines just to make the diluted fuel). Goddamn.

    MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    webguy20
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just think when yA'll get to the nuclear loop.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Trying not to, tbh

  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm still not sure if I like the new reactors or the old reactors. I think either way they should be a bit bitter. or at least the cooling tower part.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    fcPTwD8.jpg

    The first attempt at an Efficient Factory (tm)! A four floor factory, because I forgot to take all my ore into ingots before I brought it into the first floor, with the end result being a single, 100% efficiency Tower Part #5 manufacturer and excess computers, modular frames, heavy modular frames, and low tier parts.

    I ate an engineer
    webguy20TynnanQuidMuddBuddJedocSporkAndrewElvenshaespono
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    *SNIP*

    The first attempt at an Efficient Factory (tm)! A four floor factory, because I forgot to take all my ore into ingots before I brought it into the first floor, with the end result being a single, 100% efficiency Tower Part #5 manufacturer and excess computers, modular frames, heavy modular frames, and low tier parts.

    I like the factory design. I wish they would reset all the buildings with smoke stacks to not have the stacks be part of the main hit box. Let us poke those things up through the roofs!

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Jedoc
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    *SNIP*

    The first attempt at an Efficient Factory (tm)! A four floor factory, because I forgot to take all my ore into ingots before I brought it into the first floor, with the end result being a single, 100% efficiency Tower Part #5 manufacturer and excess computers, modular frames, heavy modular frames, and low tier parts.

    I like the factory design. I wish they would reset all the buildings with smoke stacks to not have the stacks be part of the main hit box. Let us poke those things up through the roofs!

    A lot of the neat flourishes were just like, wanting to do a couple things and then realizing I planned it poorly.

    "I want a giant bus for all my components on each floor!" Cool, I can learn to do that.

    "I want to take all my components up to the top floor to store the excess in containers!" Ok, not bad.

    "I want to do both of those things!" Wait, but the giant bus on the previous floor makes it hard to lift stuff up to the next floor... better fan the entire bus out to the ground floor and lift it up to the height of the new bus!

    There's also a very hidden and unoptimized steel forging section and the plastic and oil power is an nightmarish rat's nest because I didn't want to disconnect all my old plastic generation, because my initial factory is still kinda making me big stockpiles of every part inefficiently.

    I ate an engineer
    webguy20
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Tip for lifting buses: You can spread out your stacked conveyors two floor ticks at a time, lowest going farthest, and you can rainbow a set of nested lifts from the top belt (shortest lift, least extended) to bottom belt (tallest lift, farthest extended).

    Figure 1:
    5j6mrrhdcmo9.jpg

    webguy20MuddBuddJedocSporkAndrewElvenshaeKwoarusponoKruite
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That is a thing of beauty right there.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    TynnanSporkAndrewElvenshaeShorty
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Yeah that's cool and efficient and a good use of space and aesthetically pleasing, but have you considered that mine is sort of like those curves you drew in middle school with a bunch of straight lines intersecting? :P

    I ate an engineer
    Elvenshae
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Yeah that's cool and efficient and a good use of space and aesthetically pleasing, but have you considered that mine is sort of like those curves you drew in middle school with a bunch of straight lines intersecting? :P

    I love yours, because I can't do that. I am a right angles guy. As soon as I get enough iron plating and cement going I am walls and foundations and all sharp right turns and all of that.

    Speaking of aesthetics, when you're running conveyor to constructors, assemblers or what have you, will you match the belt to the input? Say a constructor just needs 45/min, will you slap a mk1 belt between the splitter and constructor, or do you slap the fastest belt you have in inventory because that's what you keep on hand? I'm in the second group. Now that I have steady encased industrial beams, it's MkIV conveyors everywhere.

    I won't go out of my way to upgrade lines that are fine, but all new lines are always the fastest available once in mass production.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I tend to put the smallest belt that will handle the amount needed. Just because its cheaper. Although I've hit a point I could just do Tier 4 belts pretty much everywhere.

    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I’m swimming in aluminum now so I just slap Mk5 belts on everything. Once you’ve got it going, alclad produces way faster than encased beams. Fewer things to lug around and fewer hotkey slots.

  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I may have accidentally spent 4 hours last night rebuilding my starting sprawl into something almost tidy.

    Apparently I had way too much stuff in my initial storage containers to carry as I tore everything down so there's storage containers everywhere full of stuff. I'm slowly taking it to my sink to recycle into precious tickets, but it can only shred so much

    I've got a nice little factory floor that takes in iron ore, copper ore and limestone and makes me pretty much all the starting parts up to reinforced plates and rotors and splits some parts off into storage containers, with the rest going to feed future production

    Next time I play I'll double the reinforced plates / rotor production so I can feed some to modular frame production and get steel production unlocked. Then I'll add another floor for steel as I've got plenty of coal and iron ore

    I also doubled the size of my coal power to 8 generators, which is apparently the most I can use from my single pure coal node and mk 1 miner

    And in the process I tore down my entire coal generation plant and rebuilt it to tidy up the pipes and conveyors

    This game definitely has its hooks in me

    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    TynnanJedocShortyspono
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I may have accidentally spent 4 hours last night rebuilding my starting sprawl into something almost tidy.

    Apparently I had way too much stuff in my initial storage containers to carry as I tore everything down so there's storage containers everywhere full of stuff. I'm slowly taking it to my sink to recycle into precious tickets, but it can only shred so much

    I've got a nice little factory floor that takes in iron ore, copper ore and limestone and makes me pretty much all the starting parts up to reinforced plates and rotors and splits some parts off into storage containers, with the rest going to feed future production

    Next time I play I'll double the reinforced plates / rotor production so I can feed some to modular frame production and get steel production unlocked. Then I'll add another floor for steel as I've got plenty of coal and iron ore

    I also doubled the size of my coal power to 8 generators, which is apparently the most I can use from my single pure coal node and mk 1 miner

    And in the process I tore down my entire coal generation plant and rebuilt it to tidy up the pipes and conveyors

    This game definitely has its hooks in me

    have you overclocked your miner? miners are the best place to use your power shards.

    JedocTynnanwebguy20
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    Yeah that's cool and efficient and a good use of space and aesthetically pleasing, but have you considered that mine is sort of like those curves you drew in middle school with a bunch of straight lines intersecting? :P

    I love yours, because I can't do that. I am a right angles guy. As soon as I get enough iron plating and cement going I am walls and foundations and all sharp right turns and all of that.

    Speaking of aesthetics, when you're running conveyor to constructors, assemblers or what have you, will you match the belt to the input? Say a constructor just needs 45/min, will you slap a mk1 belt between the splitter and constructor, or do you slap the fastest belt you have in inventory because that's what you keep on hand? I'm in the second group. Now that I have steady encased industrial beams, it's MkIV conveyors everywhere.

    I won't go out of my way to upgrade lines that are fine, but all new lines are always the fastest available once in mass production.

    I had a storage container completely full of encased beams and it felt like as soon as I started using them, I ran out

    I should probably expand production on them tbh

  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I may have accidentally spent 4 hours last night rebuilding my starting sprawl into something almost tidy.

    Apparently I had way too much stuff in my initial storage containers to carry as I tore everything down so there's storage containers everywhere full of stuff. I'm slowly taking it to my sink to recycle into precious tickets, but it can only shred so much

    I've got a nice little factory floor that takes in iron ore, copper ore and limestone and makes me pretty much all the starting parts up to reinforced plates and rotors and splits some parts off into storage containers, with the rest going to feed future production

    Next time I play I'll double the reinforced plates / rotor production so I can feed some to modular frame production and get steel production unlocked. Then I'll add another floor for steel as I've got plenty of coal and iron ore

    I also doubled the size of my coal power to 8 generators, which is apparently the most I can use from my single pure coal node and mk 1 miner

    And in the process I tore down my entire coal generation plant and rebuilt it to tidy up the pipes and conveyors

    This game definitely has its hooks in me

    have you overclocked your miner? miners are the best place to use your power shards.

    I've only found one green slug so far. When I get set up with production of my frames I'll take some time and go exploring

    Only got the one hard drive too, so far, and it contained the alternate screw recipe which has been amazing

    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    A fluids fundamental that may help your layouts: fluids will fill a system from lowest to highest. If you find yourself running into consistency problems with your fluid supply (such as a coal power plant that keeps shutting down erratically, yet when you check it manually it stubbornly displays a full reservoir), try to place a fluid buffer between your supply and your power plant/refinery array with the buffer at a higher elevation than the buildings consuming the fluid. That way, the reservoir will fill from the supply and then efficiently drain to where it's needed. Flow issues in pipe systems can arise from fluid pooling at low points and starving the buildings that need it, if they're located above the pool. Apply pipeline pumps on the pre-reservoir side as needed for head lift.

    This post brought to you by water towers. Water towers: making gravity work for you since 1850.

    Tynnan on
    SporkAndrewShortywebguy20Kruite
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    it's also not going to be relevant until you start working with oil and its derivatives, but keep in mind you can't just have an open pipe somewhere dumping stuff you don't want into a lake

    you either have to use all the fluid you produce, or manually go and flush the system every now and then

  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    A fluids fundamental that may help your layouts: fluids will fill a system from lowest to highest. If you find yourself running into consistency problems with your fluid supply (such as a coal power plant that keeps shutting down erratically, yet when you check it manually it stubbornly displays a full reservoir), try to place a fluid buffer between your supply and your power plant/refinery array with the buffer at a higher elevation than the buildings consuming the fluid. That way, the reservoir will fill from the supply and then efficiently drain to where it's needed. Flow issues in pipe systems can arise from fluid pooling at low points and starving the buildings that need it, if they're located above the pool. Apply pipeline pumps on the pre-reservoir side as needed for head lift.

    This post brought to you by water towers. Water towers: making gravity work for you since the 19th century.

    When I'm running underfloor piping I usually stick a pump every 4-5 buildings, helps push the fluids up into them, and I'm willing to take the power hit to make sure I don't run out of juice.

    Speaking of, apparently I just did when building out the final assemblers for motors, tripped the breakers at over 2.4gw. Time to take that heavy oil residue and refine it into fuel. Hopefully I can get a good ratio.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    My solution is the precipitate.


    heh


    sorry


    What I do is I feed excess heavy oil residue into petroleum coke, then sink it. I also sink resin. I've had enough power outages tied to a backup in plastic consumption that I don't want to risk that anymore.

    Also, I've got a neat setup on my retooled plastic/rubber array to produce turbo heavy fuel, and send away the extra residue without starving the refineries making turbofuel. I'll post a screenshot once I have everything painted.

    Tynnan on
    webguy20SporkAndrewElvenshae
Sign In or Register to comment.