As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    My solution is the precipitate.

heh

sorry

What I do is I feed excess heavy oil residue into petroleum coke, then sink it. I also sink resin. I've had enough power outages tied to a backup in plastic consumption that I don't want to risk that anymore.

yeah I had this problem but thankfully I had enough overhead that a couple fuel generators going offline didn't make the whole grid start spiraling

right now I'm just sinking plastic until I'm ready to start using more of it

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I may have accidentally spent 4 hours last night rebuilding my starting sprawl into something almost tidy.

Apparently I had way too much stuff in my initial storage containers to carry as I tore everything down so there's storage containers everywhere full of stuff. I'm slowly taking it to my sink to recycle into precious tickets, but it can only shred so much

I've got a nice little factory floor that takes in iron ore, copper ore and limestone and makes me pretty much all the starting parts up to reinforced plates and rotors and splits some parts off into storage containers, with the rest going to feed future production

Next time I play I'll double the reinforced plates / rotor production so I can feed some to modular frame production and get steel production unlocked. Then I'll add another floor for steel as I've got plenty of coal and iron ore

I also doubled the size of my coal power to 8 generators, which is apparently the most I can use from my single pure coal node and mk 1 miner

And in the process I tore down my entire coal generation plant and rebuilt it to tidy up the pipes and conveyors

This game definitely has its hooks in me

have you overclocked your miner? miners are the best place to use your power shards.

I've only found one green slug so far. When I get set up with production of my frames I'll take some time and go exploring

Only got the one hard drive too, so far, and it contained the alternate screw recipe which has been amazing

Just for anyone new to the game, some very basic advice the game doesn't tell you.

Save your power shards for miners/extractors.

No, better phrasing. ONLY use power shards for miners/extractors.

Overclocking drastically increases the power consumption of a building. Boosting production by 50% with a shard will nearly DOUBLE the power draw of that machine. It takes significantly lower power to build two machines than to overclock a single machine to 200%.

Miners are the exception because resource nodes can't be duplicated, of course. So we overclock them to increase our resources. I also do this with water extractors, personally, to simplify piping requirements, sometimes. (My kingdom for a 360 cm/min pipe)

As you improve your power grid, exceptions can be made. Usually when rebuilding/refactoring production lines with new recipes. But even then, the best rule of thumb is to only use shards on miners.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    SporkAndrew
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My solution is the precipitate.

heh

sorry

What I do is I feed excess heavy oil residue into petroleum coke, then sink it. I also sink resin. I've had enough power outages tied to a backup in plastic consumption that I don't want to risk that anymore.

yeah I had this problem but thankfully I had enough overhead that a couple fuel generators going offline didn't make the whole grid start spiraling

right now I'm just sinking plastic until I'm ready to start using more of it

Yea i need to build a sink to take like 1/9 out of the belts when its in normal production. That's the hard part. You don't want the sink to take too much material when everything is flowing correctly, but need to make sure it's excepting everything when lines are stopped. I wonder what interesting splitter designs people have worked out to get the percentage real small when running.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    If you run a supply bus, you can put your sink at the far end so that only parts not being consumed are being sunk.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    If you run a supply bus, you can put your sink at the far end so that only parts not being consumed are being sunk.

Yea I think I might have to redesign my storage areas because most of my storage containers are inline. I need to split them off the bus as the 2nd to last chain, with the sink as the last one.

Side project this morning, I should be getting Aluminum production set up, or Supercomputers...

Instead I realized I still had no production line for Nobelisk and Rifle ammo. It takes such a small amount of resources to make too. So I've set that up, as well as the footprint for my eventual compacted coal processing. (need to get T5 belts and Mk3 miners before I can make enough compacted coal for my oil plant)

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I need to make lines for nobelisk and ammunition too but I keep putting it off because I resent the need to dedicate an entire manufacturer to making beacons

webguy20Undead Scottsman
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Well, my new factory is up and running and somewhat aesthetic, let's check back in on my original factory, which is notable for producing at least a little bit of basically everything at a minimum efficiency of...

pQF0xG2.jpg

Well, the calculated efficiency doesn't matter, the point is that I leave my beautiful new factory occasionally, raid this place for what I need from the storage containers, and get out as soon as possible

milski on
    I ate an engineer
    ShortyTynnanwebguy20sponoSporkAndrew
    edited April 2020
    I tore out and redesigned my plastic and rubber producing refineries to clean up their routing and retool their waste output for heavy turbofuel production. This is in addition to my other well dedicated entirely to heavy turbofuel. Here's the fluid routing screenshot I mentioned earlier. Here we have 200 cubic meters per minute heavy residue arriving from rubber plants on the back right and 100 cubic meters from plastic plants on the left. Both these inputs are elevated two clicks, and descend to the junction at ground level. The ground level pipe leaving away from the camera feeds refineries producing heavy turbofuel. The fourth pipe exits towards the camera and to the right, and is elevated three clicks before it feeds a bank of refineries producing petroleum coke. What this arrangement ensures is that the heavy residue will always flow towards the refineries producing fuel, as long as they require it. If they aren't producing fuel, then flow backs up to the high exit and spills over to become coke, which is sent to a sink. No backups, no power outages. At full normal output, my plastic and rubber refineries will provide enough residue waste to feed eight turbofuel refineries, which will produce 240 cubic meters of turbofuel and feed 53.3 generators for an additional 8 GW once those generators are installed. I also have another bank of 10 refineries producing plastic, whose waste goes directly to petroleum coke for use in aluminum refining.

0ajeb423g1q8.jpg

Tynnan on
    sponoShortySporkAndrew
    edited April 2020
    I need to make lines for nobelisk and ammunition too but I keep putting it off because I resent the need to dedicate an entire manufacturer to making beacons

Not even an entire manufacturer... like, 40% of one makes what you need to run a 100% production line on Ammo.

It's an insultingly low amount of resources but a massive waste of space.

MuddBudd on
    milski wrote: »
    Well, the calculated efficiency doesn't matter, the point is that I leave my beautiful new factory occasionally, raid this place for what I need from the storage containers, and get out as soon as possible

Hook it up to a train line, transport it to a dedicated storage facility near your new base, never have to look at it again.

I did, in fact, throw in a ammo and nobelisk manufacturing station into my old base because... well, I had all the materials, and at that point what's a few more random splitters coming off an arbitrary point in lines that are backed up with material?

I ate an engineer
    Also notable: That entire north section is producing like, 1200 screws per minute. I don't know why I built a two story screw production facility, but apparently I did.

I ate an engineer
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Oh fuck this is on sale on the epic store and I have a $10 coupon from their last sale

640qocnq4ske.gif
    TynnanShortywebguy20
    spono wrote: »
    Oh fuck this is on sale on the epic store and I have a $10 coupon from their last sale

Dewit

Shortywebguy20SporkAndrewChiselphane
    Lord, aluminum production looks... intense.

webguy20
    I'm digging down the catarium tech tree and does anybody use smart splitters? Ive never messed with them.

webguy20 wrote: »
    I'm digging down the catarium tech tree and does anybody use smart splitters? Ive never messed with them.

Not really. They let you assign a different item to each output. Except by the time I have unlocked them I've already built my factory using dedicated conveyor belts and I just can't imagine a situation where I'd want to start building mixed belts.

I’m too afraid of a supply pileup on one component causing a shortage of another on the same lane to try smart splitters. I might incorporate them on low-throughout manufacturer output lanes, though.

I just counted the storage for my foundations concrete manufacturer. 96000 pieces of storage, and its almost full. So many foundations. Mmmm.

The only use I can think of for them is maybe creating very low footprint layouts in small spaces, using the smart splitter to manage resources and save floor space.

But really, if you are constrained by space that much, just move to a larger spot or expand upward. It'd have to be something you just HAVE to cram into an existing setup or something.

I use smart splitters to let me build quick-and-dirty manufacturing piles on resource nodes and bring them in without having to make two conveyor belts, or to bring multiple resources in from surrounding nodes. E.g. I'll see a caeterium and copper deposit close by, and use a smart splitter to bring in the caeterium and copper wire from that I manufacture instead of using footprint in my actual factory. Well, maybe that might not work as well since wires are high thruput items, but you get the idea.

I ate an engineer
    webguy20
    edited April 2020
    Ok fluids and power question.

I have 10 refineries producing plastic with the standard recipe. They output 10m3 of heavy oil residue each, for a total of 100m3. A refinery turns 60m3 of this into 40m3 of fuel, so at most I should need two refineries to handle the current load and output 66.4m3 of fuel. I built 4 due to eventually doubling my plastic line. I hooked these 4 up, and then hooked them up to 4 Fuel Generators using 15m3 each. I should be consuming almost of the heavy oil residue to power a handful of these, but everything is full. Is this due to only using about 2/3 of my power generation, and the game level loading my power generators across all types instead of prioritizing one over the other? So I'm not actually consuming the fuel I expect to consume?

edited for clarity.

webguy20 on
    I believe that’s correct. I’ve disconnected ten of my fuel generators from their standard fuel feed to prepare for changing them over to turbofuel, while running low load on my electrical grid, and several of them are still at 50/50 stored fuel.

Second Question.

Lets say I put more load on the fuel line than there is to support it. Does it work like conveyors where only the last one in the chain will be shorted? So lets say I have enough fuel for 4.5 generators, and install 5, would that last one get starved while the first four run at 100%, do do they all get starved evenly? I'm thinking of putting a final refinery on the end of my fuel chain to turn it into Polymer resin and shred it, so that way I don't back up my heavy oil residue line. It won't matter if that refinery works at 100% or not.

I haven’t looked at it too closely on my pipe systems but I expect they should fill in linear order. If you want to make sure the first four always stay fed, you could put a little vertical bump in the pipe between the fourth and fifth, so that the fifth only ever gets the overflow when the first four are full.

webguy20
    It's fun seeing the point where the game gets challenging for me. It will be fun at some point to dump everything into nuclear. It's a nice enclosed manufacturing loop, that just happens to kill you if you forget your radiation suit.

edited April 2020
    Stuff attached to pipes fills in mostly linear order. The stuff at the far end might get a small trickle, but as each machine fills you can follow and watch the next fill up quickly.

I have 10 refineries producing plastic with the standard recipe. They output 10m3 of heavy oil residue each, for a total of 100m3. A refinery turns 60m3 of this into 40m3 of fuel, so at most I should need two refineries to handle the current load and output 66.4m3 of fuel. I built 4 due to eventually doubling my plastic line. I hooked these 4 up, and then hooked them up to 4 Fuel Generators using 15m3 each. I should be consuming almost of the heavy oil residue to power a handful of these, but everything is full. Is this due to only using about 2/3 of my power generation, and the game level loading my power generators across all types instead of prioritizing one over the other? So I'm not actually consuming the fuel I expect to consume?

edited for clarity.

Two things. That setup can actually support 4.44 Generators. You can add 5th and underclock it to 44%.

And yes, if you aren't using the power, fuel doesn't get burned. This can lead to issues when stuff like plastic/rubber production is tied to making sure the byproducts are cleared in a timely manner. So far my best solution is to only ever make production loops or power loops with oil, and don't mix them. Or make an overflow container for the fuel and flush it manually occasionally.

MuddBudd on
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Stuff attached to pipes fills in mostly linear order. The stuff at the far end might get a small trickle, but as each machine fills you can follow and watch the next fill up quickly.

edited for clarity.

Two things. That setup can actually support 4.44 Generators. You can add 5th and underclock it to 44%.

And yes, if you aren't using the power, fuel doesn't get burned. This can lead to issues when stuff like plastic/rubber production is tied to making sure the byproducts are cleared in a timely manner. So far my best solution is to only ever make production loops or power loops with oil, and don't mix them. Or make an overflow container for the fuel and flush it manually occasionally.

Yea sounds good. This is my stopgap measure until I get into the desert and run pure nodes for power. God this game is fun. I also got catarium up and running automated, and made it down the tech tree a good long way. Between that and the alien organics chain I got like 4 pocket dimension upgrades in 20 minutes. I can carry so much stuff now!

I actually just thought of one use for Smart Splitters I might actually do. Manufacturers.

Generally a manufacturer doesn't need a ton of any one resource. Often, less than a mk1 belts worth. So instead of running stuff in a subfloor or using lifts or whatever... just put a smart splitter in front of each input, and then funnel all the needed resources to them. Save a ton of routing.

The manufacture of beacons we were just talking is a perfect example. It takes a trivial amount of resources, you could just run them on a single belt. I might actually go rework mine now that I have thought of this.

So I figured out a good Long term solution for my heavy oil residue.

So I did the set up where I'm running 5 fuel generators, one underclocked. What I did though was run it a bit less than perfect by like 2 percent, routed the fuel like up to a Large fluid storage, then hooked that up to a refinery that is set to produce a large container of packaged fuel. It should take a long time to produce that packaged fuel, and even longer to top off that large fuel tank. I should hopefully remember to check it.

I also finally built the jetpack. So here is the question, which do you prefer? The blade runners provide great speed and jumping, but the jetpack keeps me from dying from falling. The real question is why do I not have two body slots? Especially for something like blade runners and the jetpack, they aren't even on the same part of the body! I was really hoping that with Patch 3 we'd get an upgrade like we did with Patch 2 and the hand slots.

4c0ba89xxs2x.jpg

I tend to run the jetpack as soon as I get it, just because a lot of hard drive/slug exploration ends up being really vertical. Not to mention my factory is pretty vertical as well.

Shorty
    I like both in their own way. The jetpack is really useful in exploring the world, for sure, but it’s also handy for getting a good angle for constructing your factory and zipping between floors.

webguy20Shorty
    edited April 2020
    Alright, Aluminum is not as bad as I thought it would be. Some weirdness with the extra water but once you get the hang of the ratio of Alumina Solution to Scrap to Ingots to Alclad, it's fine.

Making 90 Alclad/min for now, and will be able to boost that once I can upgrade miners and belts. But I need a supply of Alclad to unlock that.

-edit-

Just for posterity, here's what I found to be the easiest 'chunk'
    • Three refiners turning bauxite into Alumina solution
    • One Refiner turning that into Aluminum Scrap
    • You'll also need a small amount of petroleum coke (or coal, if you have the alt recipe), so at least two more refineries for that. One refinery making coke can support up to 6 refineries making Alumina Solution.
    • Aluminum Scrap needs silica to smelt into ingots (unless you have the alt recipe), so you'll need a source of quartz. The amount you get as a byproduct from the Bauxite is not enough to support it.
    • Then you add a small amount of copper to make Alclad Sheets.
    • The system produces some extra water but once you have it running for a minute you can pipe it back into the initial refiners and reduce your water pump output to compensate.

Ideally it seems like you are supposed to do most of the building for this in the central plateau (very hostile zone, lots of monsters and crevices, and uranium everywhere) as there's a lot of Bauxite and Quartz up there. But there's a pure Bauxite node on the western shore at the top of a VERY high cliff, so I build there, and use lifts to bring it down. Nearby oil provides the coke, and I have the alt recipe to smelt without silica. Train brings it home.

MuddBudd on
    Tynnan
    I just figured out the design for my manufacturer bus and I'm excited to build it out and share with y'all.

webguy20
    Finished up my main home base. Don't think I'll be building any more automation here. I might build some manual Catarium assemblers so I can crank out some high speed connections and AI limiters for when I'm going to need some, but I'm not going to run dedicated lines to it. I think I'm going to go exploring for power slugs and hard drives for a bit down near the easy starting location. It'll be a nice change of pace, especially since I have the jetpack now.

kbf4929vln1c.jpg

MuddBudd
    Figured it might actually look better in a screenshot if I just shared the spacing mockup, so here it is. The overall design here is a bidirectional system: components move away from the camera on the red conveyors (second and fourth) and products move towards the camera on the blue conveyors (first, third, fifth). The design here is because of how complex the manufacturer supply chain can get, where you may need multiple assembler and manufacturer components to make another manufacturer component. Tech will be on one side and iron products will be on the other. A manufacturer's output can be routed onto the supply belts and sent back into the system if needed, or sent forward to storage. Behind the camera is more space the same width and half the depth, where my second-floor outputs will lift through and be routed into the supply lines.

hcz5nrpzulcq.jpg

MuddBuddwebguy20
    So I was wrong about the Smart Splitters, they aren't super useful for Manfuacturers.

Here's the original setup:
    ROoauQS.png?1

And the one with smart splitters:
    iYZzZmp.png?1

Looks nice and clean right? Except in this screenshot you can also see the problem. As soon as one of the four inputs is full, it backs up, and then nothing can get past that splitter to the next one, meaning you can easily end up starved of materials that are sitting right there on the previous belt.

You'd need to load balance it so that the first input is always the one with the highest consumption, followed by the second, etc... to try and ensure that stuff doesn't back up. Or use this only in setups where say, both inputs on an assembler take the exact same amount of items, and you have a single merged line of exactly that amount of both.

Regardless, it's more trouble than it's worth, I think. So I continue to relegate them to the 'ignore' pile.

Then I reloaded my save so I didn't have to redo all my belts.

webguy20
    Today's project, Turbo Motors and Supercomputers!

I'm going to have to update several resourcing setups to pull this off. Caterium for example, and rubber/plastic... I may have to overhaul that entirely.

I think I’ll use a programmable splitter on my manufacturer output line to selectively loop back finished products that are needed for more complex manufacturer parts. For example, computers -> supercomputers and oscillators -> various. They’re sufficiently low output that I’m not worried about a backup, and I can position a sink somewhere clever if a problem does arise.