As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    So for biomass burners, does power capacity increase the rate at which fuel burns? Like if my factory consumes, say, 48 watts but I've got a capacity of 60, will underclocking the biofuel burners to a capacity of just 48 watts let them run longer before needing more fuel?

RT800 on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    According to the wiki
    Burns various forms of biomass to generate electricity for the power grid. Has no input and must therefore be fed biomass manually.

Resource consumption will automatically be lowered to meet power demands.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah that's how all the power generators work

except geothermal but don't worry about that

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    According to the wiki
    Burns various forms of biomass to generate electricity for the power grid. Has no input and must therefore be fed biomass manually.

Resource consumption will automatically be lowered to meet power demands.

Also doesn't it run your highest tech power at maximum first, finally underconsuming on your lowest tech power? Or does it level load across all power.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I haven't touched the Ficsmas stuff and don't really know what it entails. What would it be like to come to it late?

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    The final section is like Space Elevator part levels of complicated and time consuming. You could totally get it done before it's over though.

You might have to cheese it by leaving the game running for a few hours if you don't want to find other stuff to do.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    It level loads the power, as near as I can tell.

edited December 2020
    I've pretty much tapped out as much expansion as I could for the holiday event without completely ripping up my setup for a third time. Tried a multi-layer setup for the first time and it's working well.

Unfortunately, it's STILL going to take effin' forever to finish. Like, several hours left. I'm at the point where I'm thinking "Maybe I should rip up my core factory while I'm waiting, like I've been meaning to" and it stuck me how silly it was that the holiday event was taking SO LONG that I was looking at playing the regular game to kill time before it finishes. :biggrin:

Undead Scottsman on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I've pretty much tapped out as much expansion as I could for the holiday event without completely ripping up my setup for a third time. Tried a multi-layer setup for the first time and it's working well.

Unfortunately, it's STILL going to take effin' forever to finish. Like, several hours left. I'm at the point where I'm thinking "Maybe I should rip up my core factory while I'm waiting, like I've been meaning to" and it stuck me how silly it was that the holiday event was taking SO LONG that I was looking at playing the regular game to kill time before it finishes. :biggrin:

You could set up storage for components to rebuild turbomotor production when the update eventually hits.

You could go gather hard drives... or Mercer Spheres... or set up a SAM ore pipeline.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    MuddBudd wrote: »

You could set up storage for components to rebuild turbomotor production when the update eventually hits.

You could go gather hard drives... or Mercer Spheres... or set up a SAM ore pipeline.

REbuild turbomotor production? Ha, haha. Hahaha. That's a good one.

One of the reason I was looking at rebuilding my factory was so I could build a turbomotor production line to begin with. :D

Although my holiday factory has grown so fat that it's eaten up the entirety of my power suplus, so I'm probably going to have to upgrade that before I do anything else.

Um, hey... maybe check out todays advent calendar item

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    you should just tell us what you're talking about since only some days are the same across the user base and today isn't one of them

for example, today I got twenty bacon agarics

edited December 2020
    Shorty wrote: »
    you should just tell us what you're talking about since only some days are the same across the user base and today isn't one of them

for example, today I got twenty bacon agarics

Oh, sorry! Then somebody has probably found it already, but
    "Superposition Oscillator
    A superposition oscillator is an oscillator circuit that uses the mechanical resonance of a vibrating crystal to create a string vibration with a precise frequency. Often used in teleportation technology and dimensional manipulation."

Thoughts
    Now, obviously the initial takeaway is teleporters, but that dimensional manipulation... can we get some Tardis crates?

EDIT: And I just now realized I already had 6 of them in my inventory. Nevermind.

Undead Scottsman on
    yeah those are a tier 8 part
    you can also get quantum computers

also they're only sort of new, both parts' existence and description were datamined ages ago

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JXPsTlJIiI

I like that they see that lots of players stopped playing when they got up to the new aluminum tier, because that's exactly when I quit last time. Just looked up at that big stupid pipe-havin' edifice hanging above me and went to play XCOM or something.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    What helped for me was looking up a good setup rather than trying to figure it out myself

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    It definitely curbed my enthusiasm for the game when I hit that point, mostly because of the repetitive task of building the foundations for large factories. It seems kind of dumb to me that a single foundation isn't even large enough to provide a full base for the most basic machine you can build. I have no desire to spend 2 hours setting down foundations, much less 10 hours or however god-awfully long it would take for a multi-story superfactory.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    It definitely curbed my enthusiasm for the game when I hit that point, mostly because of the repetitive task of building the foundations for large factories. It seems kind of dumb to me that a single foundation isn't even large enough to provide a full base for the most basic machine you can build. I have no desire to spend 2 hours setting down foundations, much less 10 hours or however god-awfully long it would take for a multi-story superfactory.

Yea it would be nice if buildings were equivalents of foundations. like 1, 4 or 9 foundations, and they snap to the middle of whichever size grid appropriately. you could even have some odd sized stuff like 1x2 for smelters, of 2x6 for refineries, etc.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I usually restart along about the time it's time to upgrade to Tier 7.

Something about having to figure out how to transport all those materials in an aesthetically pleasing manner demoralizes me.

Like... my steel mill is over here, and my oil fields are over there, and my modular frames are being manufactured way over that way and somehow I've gotta get them all automated and transported to one location so my manufacturers can make more advanced parts and I can do it, but I never like the results.

RT800 on
    It's always fun when you accidently slip off the edge of a cliff, forget you don't have your jetpack equipped and try to save yourself, only to kill yourself on the lip of a tiny ledge waaaay too far down the cliff, in some poison gas, necessity building an elaborate pathway down to try and recover your inventory that didn't spawn back up where you fell.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    It's always fun when you accidently slip off the edge of a cliff, forget you don't have your jetpack equipped and try to save yourself, only to kill yourself on the lip of a tiny ledge waaaay too far down the cliff, in some poison gas, necessity building an elaborate pathway down to try and recover your inventory that didn't spawn back up where you fell.

The worst is when you know you don't have your jetpack equipped and you frantically try to panic swap to it mid fall

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1

Uncanny. That's exactly what I just spent the last half hour doing. Twice, because I got cocky the first time and didn't heal up properly and got boot partied by more fireflies than I've ever seen in one place before.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular

the best is when you are playing a multiplayer game with your friends and this happens to one of them

everyone just cackling at them

the worst is when it happens to you and everyone laughs at you

Finally finished up the Caeterium tree and oh my god, programmable splitters where have you been all my life?

Just being able to set up overflows that can send excess materials to resource sinks is divine.

yeah adding overflow functionality to smart and programmable splitters was huge, they were pretty niche before that

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    yeah adding overflow functionality to smart and programmable splitters was huge, they were pretty niche before that

I need to look into that because they were actively bad before that.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.

Yea overflow was a game changer when paired up with the mulcher. All production lines are clean now.

edited December 2020

yeah I only ever used them when I needed to sort parts after getting shipped via truck or train, and I've never built at a particularly big scale so the programmable splitter was always overkill

I don't think I built a single one in my first playthrough

Shorty on
    Ugh, coming back for the winter event helped get this games hooks into me HARD again.

My multi-tier factories have involved into discrete production buildings. I was literally up until 6am last night (morning?) rebuilding my main factory from scratch.

I was going to set up just a tiny aluminum factory to crank out some aluminum sheets so I can start designing my tier 5 megafactory before the next update. I found some coal next to some bauxite and some water off in the medium distance, went through all the bullshit of putting together a three-refinery daisy chain that shouldn't get choked up with byproducts, and finally hooked up the coal.

Which didn't do anything, because the recipe actually calls for petroleum coke. And my oil plant and new bauxite mine are each about a kilometer away from my main base in completely opposite directions.

Ah, yes. I think I'm remembering why I quit last time.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    there's an alternate recipe that uses coal!

I don't think anyone uses the original flavor, having to make and then bring in petroleum coke is a gigantic headache

there's an alternate recipe that uses coal!

I don't think anyone uses the original flavor, having to make and then bring in petroleum coke is a gigantic headache

It is! It was!

Anyway, I've got enough aluminum sheets to be going on with, so I'll just wait for the update to break things and poke around for some hard drives.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited December 2020
    Anyone having trouble getting gsync to work? I can turn it on but I still get screen tearing if I turn off vsync, but with vsync on it caps at 60fps

Undead Scottsman on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Train tracks in Satisfactory can be real silly.

I thought I had hooked up a station so that it could be accessed from either side, but my train went right past it and all the way to the end of the line in order to turn around and reach its destination.

I guess if you connect a track to a junction, it actually only connects to one of the tracks in the junction and there's no way to tell which one.

Peewi wrote: »
    Train tracks in Satisfactory can be real silly.

I thought I had hooked up a station so that it could be accessed from either side, but my train went right past it and all the way to the end of the line in order to turn around and reach its destination.

I guess if you connect a track to a junction, it actually only connects to one of the tracks in the junction and there's no way to tell which one.

Train stations are one-way, like conveyer belts. You can see the orange arrow when you place it.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Yes, train stations are directional, I know.

My setup looks kind of like this:
    em3i9p5.png

The box is the station, with the arrow showing the direction. Trains can approach from either the left or right and get into the station and leave in either direction. And after I realized what was wrong I fixed it and it actually works.

Peewi on
    yeah junctions can be weird like that

apparently at some point in the future they're going to add collisions to trains which...I don't love!

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    apparently at some point in the future they're going to add collisions to trains which...I don't love!

they are going to need to add an actual scheduling matrix for that and that's a level I am not super fond of

ikbUJdU.jpg
    they said that collision will come the same time as signals so that's something I guess