As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Man, Caterium just has the worst return rate on ore to metal. Time to make a big fuckoff refining facility for it, instead of these smelters.

Granted, until this end tier stuff, never used a ton of it. It was mostly useful for the awesome Caterium > Copper Wire recipe.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So for those not actually playing, the game just isn't about building epic factories, it's about exploring and venturing forth, finding crashed supply pods that have materials near them and Hard Drives inside of them. You usually have to provide certain resources to unlock the pods doors, like this one was 20mw and 4 steel bars. Also in my adventures I've also scrounged up two yellow slugs and 10 green ones in like 10 minutes in the grassy fields starting area. I set up this radar tower far away from everything and with 3 biomass burners it should run long enough to scan everything.

rsbfw4xbz8f9.jpg
    0xq6wxiqbceg.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    What exactly do the radar towers do? Because I clear most of the map just by exploring.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    What exactly do the radar towers do? Because I clear most of the map just by exploring.

That's it right now. Hopefully they reveal resources and stuff in a later patch.

You can also see vehicles and other players on it.

I like them because you can see them from really far away. It's a little taste of civilization.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Alright, step one complete. One big fuckoff caterium refinery.

ADUgXfn.jpg?1
    Seriously, this is what it takes to turn a Mk3 miners worth of ore into a 480/min belt of caterium ingots. Compare that to the return rate on iron.

W7YhJoT.jpg?1
    Oh hey, it's the northern manta, I guess he dips past here...hmmm.
    LtacEop.jpg?1
    incoherent never-ending story noises.

• Options
    I had a good exploration trip.

Ended up getting 16 green slugs, 7 yellow ones and a single purple. Also 3 hard drives, one of with is solid steel ingots, which should really streamline my next factories. All iron deposits into iron ingots! I won't have to split iron off into steel or other stuff anymore.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Spent yesterday removing the assemblers that I'd previously put in, adding another level to my "factory" and moving everything complex up to that. Then I realised how low my screw output was so added a bunch more smelter -> constructor runs usign the alternate recipe I found to feed screws onto a conveyor that then fed my reinforced plates assemblers

I've still got to recreate the rotor production line as my iron rods are just now sat at the end of a conveyor on the lower level still

I feel like I'd have a lot higher throughput if I didn't insist on splitting off each part produced into a storage container as well as then running it into what else was needed. I've got storage containers full to the brim of every part "just in case". It's nice to be able to run and grab a bunch of cable, concrete and reinforced sheets when I need to run some conveyors but then production on everything else slows down whilst those slots are re-filled

Maybe next time I play I'll go exploring. Or maybe I'll rework everything again because now I've got the basic steel unlocked and everything is still a mess.

Or maybe I'll just start a new factory floor for steel and save the exploring until I have a way of getting up high

Or maybe I'll go get some caterium. I think there's a node nearby and I haven't touched that tech tree yet

Too many choices!

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Spent yesterday removing the assemblers that I'd previously put in, adding another level to my "factory" and moving everything complex up to that. Then I realised how low my screw output was so added a bunch more smelter -> constructor runs usign the alternate recipe I found to feed screws onto a conveyor that then fed my reinforced plates assemblers

I've still got to recreate the rotor production line as my iron rods are just now sat at the end of a conveyor on the lower level still

I feel like I'd have a lot higher throughput if I didn't insist on splitting off each part produced into a storage container as well as then running it into what else was needed. I've got storage containers full to the brim of every part "just in case". It's nice to be able to run and grab a bunch of cable, concrete and reinforced sheets when I need to run some conveyors but then production on everything else slows down whilst those slots are re-filled

Maybe next time I play I'll go exploring. Or maybe I'll rework everything again because now I've got the basic steel unlocked and everything is still a mess.

Or maybe I'll just start a new factory floor for steel and save the exploring until I have a way of getting up high

Or maybe I'll go get some caterium. I think there's a node nearby and I haven't touched that tech tree yet

Too many choices!

Go Cararium. There's an easily reachable pocket dimension boost. I think there is two actually.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Unlocked tier 2 miners and tier 3 belts last night, time to reorganize literally everything to fit my new resource intake speeds

On the plus side this gives me a chance to implement the ideas I've had for organizing resource intake

Plus I unlocked hyper tubes so I can get rid of these god damn jelly pads, which are fun but I absolutely hate that they don't fit in one foundation tile

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Too many choices!

Go Caterium. There's an easily reachable pocket dimension boost. I think there is two actually.

Not to mention better power poles and the Blade Runners.

• Options

Too many choices!

Go Caterium. There's an easily reachable pocket dimension boost. I think there is two actually.

Those look super-useful. I've been building the stackable conveyor poles and using the ladders on the side to get around my factory. Mis-timing a jump means running back to the ramps I put in

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options

Too many choices!

I use almost exclusively wall power plugs so the Catarium ones aren't as huge a draw anymore.

• Options

Too many choices!

I use almost exclusively wall power plugs so the Catarium ones aren't as huge a draw anymore.

If you unlock them, a second tier of caterium wall plugs shows up in the awesome shop.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Man Turbo Motor production is nuts. I am gonna need to get more hard drives and hope to find the alt recipe for radio control units. Because it removes computers from the equation entirely.

-edit-

No, it adds supercomputers to replace it... hmm, not as good.

MuddBudd on
  • Options

Too many choices!

If you unlock them, a second tier of caterium wall plugs shows up in the awesome shop.

Oooh. I didn't realize to check that. I finally started my dedicated fuel power station. I did not realize how many generators you can run off of a single overclocked normal well.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    It lives. Excuse the mess of storage and the sloppy windows on the upper floor. Those'll soon be turned into tickets and fixed now that my automation is back up.

wrufas67a14o.jpg

I've started it up with just eight manufacturers, two each producing computers, oscillators, and high speed connectors on the near side and two producing heavy frames on the far side. Lateral to the manufacturers are associated assemblers producing circuit boards, AI limiters, and encased beams. Right now they're all routed upstairs to storage until I figure out how I want to incorporate secondary manufacturers. I'll probably do that upstairs rather than cram more lines into this floor. I'll build out the floor once I calculate supply quantities and build out primary production outside. These lanes are throughput-limited first by quickwire, which I can solve by running a line of caterium ingots retrograde above the central conveyor line and then injecting more quickwire downstream of the current utilization. Beyond that I can probably fill up the entire floor as long as I increase my supply of copper sheeting.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Dude, Awesome!

• Options
    edited April 2020
    hmm... between Supercomputers (some of which are going to radio control units), and Turbo Motor production...

I'm going to need to split this up into raw components for some of it. Like, for what I am planning I will need over 1000 Quickwire a minute. Best to build a 'small' production line just for that and route it where necessary. Also, looks like I am definitely going to have to revamp plastic and rubber production... possibly even set something up offsite and bring it in by train. Increase copper production... almost certainly more copper sheets... might have enough steel but it'll be close.

Time to go catalog how much I am actually using. I wish there was an overview in the hub of how much of any resource I am using at one time.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    hmm... between Supercomputers (some of which are going to radio control units), and Turbo Motor production...

I'm going to need to split this up into raw components for some of it. Like, for what I am planning I will need over 1000 Quickwire a minute. Best to just build a small production line just for that and route it where necessary. Also, looks like I am definitely going to have to revamp plastic and rubber production... possibly even set something up offsite and bring it in by train. Increase copper production... almost certainly more copper sheets... might have enough steel but it'll be close.

Time to go catalog how much I am actually using. I wish there was an overview in the hub of how much of any resource I am using at one time.

I also wish there was a "Max Power Consumption" line on the power graph that would show maximum power consumption if everything hooked up to the network was running at full capacity.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'd like them to put in pipes with more capacity

that has to be planned, right? like oil extractors can already output at 600 cm3/min

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'd like them to put in pipes with more capacity

that has to be planned, right? like oil extractors can already output at 600 cm3/min

You'd think they would at least make them 360, given that you need three water pumps to fill one pipe, but that leaves leftover production.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I think I can make my local source of oil cover my rubber/plastic needs, but I'll have to do some recycling shenanigans, and turn a bunch of residue into petroleum coke to send into the shredder.

-edit-

Took a bit of spreadsheet math, but yes, it works. I can make exactly the amount of plastic I need, with basically no leftovers, and then turn the rest of my crude oil supply into as much rubber as possible, while also having the lowest possible amount of byproducts. I use a fraction of the plastic to turn the tiny amount of excess fuel into containers for jetpack use. If for some reason any plastic, fuel, or rubber overflows, it goes into a container in case I need some, then the shredder.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Pleased to announce that the radios are under control and the motors have sprouted turbos. Now to go back and fill out my primary production and then I can fill my factory floors to capacity.

Then I guess it's time to go nuclear?

• Options
    Playing around with the paints, and applying a specific color to each kind of production. I think the problem is it would look good if there were multiples of the same type that would group together, as it is though they look like children's blocks in primary colors. Might have to go back to the drawing board there.

8c9aga7zu422.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2020
    You could have a row of windows (I like version... 3? With the many small glass panels.) where you paint the frames, and leave the overall walls the same color everywhere. Or have every building conform and paint a single patch over the outflow. I think the white paint is adding to the effect that you’re trying to avoid, too.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Rubber and Plastic production cleaned up from my early experimenting with it. I still hate the recycling loop but it works. It took too many spreadsheet macros to figure out. Got a nice surplus of rubber now, though.

ZgRzByY.png?1

Caterium was upgraded yesterday so next is... copper. Gonna need a lot more of that now. Let's see, with a Mk3 Miner, I could get the best return with the Pure Copper Ingots recipe, that would only take... 52 refineries. That's like rebuilding my oil power rig again just to make copper ingots. I need copper sheets but goddamn.

Coffee Stain, what are you smoking? Why would I spend over 1500MW of power to refine copper like that. Yeah I'll get less return with smelters but I can just go tap another copper node to make up the difference. Man, this alt recipe really needs to be rebalanced.

At least the copper sheets will be easy.

-edit-

Putting the numbers in here. I needed 105 plastic for supercomputer production, another 15 or so for making fuel containers. I'm making exactly 120 and the rest is rubber.

Specifically, because of the strength of the recycling recipes, of the 20 refineries using crude oil there (I have 600 cm/min worth of oil to play with), 14 refineries are making plastic, 6 are making rubber, and I am using everything but about 13 fuel/min to convert any plastic over my required 120 into rubber. This brings my total rubber production to 440, which is nuts because if I just had all 20 refineries making rubber it'd only make 400.

Recycling does weird things yall.

That 13/min fuel bonus goes to containers for jetpack use.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Blade Runners make a heck of a difference. Last night I intended to play for an hour to make some headway on the Caterium tree and ended up playing for 3 hours. I thought I'd just see about getting some steel produced and the first foundry I plopped down immediately took down my entire power grid

So "just quickly find some Caterium, mine it and make some Quickwire, then refine some Steel ingots" turned into "find another coal node, build a bridge over the river to the coal node, build another coal power plant and run the power back over the bridge and up the cliffs to the main factory"

I then spent all night whilst trying to get to sleep worrying about my reinforced plate production. I think I'm going to rip all my iron production out again and aim to up my generation of reinforced plates because I'm using more on conveyors than I'm making so my stocks are dwindling fast. That in turn is slowing my frame manufacturing

It shows the game has something going for it when my thoughts aren't "oh no, I've got to re-do everything" and are instead "man I can't wait to re-do everything"

Any thoughts on the rebar gun? I'm getting annihilated by the angry Triceratops-looking guys because I can't seem to time my Xeno-basher swings right and can unlock the gun / ammunition now

Edit: I've just done some maths (google spreadsheet) on how to best re-jig my iron and it looks like I need 6 smelters, 39 constructors and 19 assemblers to get 50 reinforced plates / minute, which in turn makes 10 modular frames / minute

Is.. is that right?

SporkAndrew on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Rebar gun is very strong.

The rifle is good but I wish it held more than 10 ammo at a time. Also you burn through ammo FAST with the rifle. Rebar gun 3-5 shots takes out most things.
    Edit: I've just done some maths (google spreadsheet) on how to best re-jig my iron and it looks like I need 6 smelters, 39 constructors and 19 assemblers to get 50 reinforced plates / minute, which in turn makes 10 modular frames / minute

Is.. is that right?

It really depends on the recipes you use. Is that the default? Because bolted plate and stitched plate are much better return rate on resources.

MuddBudd on
  • Options

Is.. is that right?

It really depends on the recipes you use. Is that the default? Because bolted plate and stitched plate are much better return rate on resources.

Default for everything except the screws. I've only found the one hard drive so far with another being scanned now. Bolted iron plate would be nice but I guess I need to hunt around for that

• Options
    Went through and upgraded every miner to level 2 and every belt outside my base to level 3 (except the quartz and sulfur ones but I'll do those later when they become more important) so now my raw material intake has gotten a crazy boost

Gonna renovate my base entrance so all the resources are collected in one place and then I'll probably have to reorient my production floor since my manufacturing lines are about to get real long but I'll do that as needed

I can't decide if I want to the raw material intake to use conveyor walls or just sit all the belts next to each other, the walls make the outside look nice but without walls Im pretty sure I can fit a 4th belt on each foundation and I think like a solid waterfall of resources would look kinda cool

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TkrmMjg.png

480 copper/min upgraded to 1560 copper/min. That should help with these copper-heavy new production lines.

• Options
    This game sure is pretty

zjq1jjiukfvv.jpg

• Options
    It bothers me more than it should that water extractors don't snap to like, anything. The height is always juuuust a bit off.

• Options
    It bothers me more than it should that water extractors don't snap to like, anything. The height is always juuuust a bit off.

I'd love some like, water specific foundations that were the right height for water extractors

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Alright, finished my upgrades.

X84LS4O.png?1
    Cleaned up my concrete production (and increased it for when I add a Mk3 miner to my node) and most importantly, doubled my copper sheets production.

1fAy13E.jpg?1
    Dramatically increased silica, which is thankfully easy to do.

HxT6dhB.jpg?1
    Another money shot of the copper smelteries feeding my giant copper sheet machine.

I believe I now have all the raw resources to get my Supercomputers and Turbo Motors going.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    That copper tower is neat! Any good angles for an interior shot?

• Options
    Tynnan wrote: »
    That copper tower is neat! Any good angles for an interior shot?

k5N31yG.jpg?1

Each floor looks like this. Ore comes in, ingots go out. Ore goes up a floor and reverses direction, ingots go down and merge with the lower floors until it reaches the bottom.

• Options
    I love seeing people build completely different things in the same places I build things. That's really where this game shines, see all the unique solutions to the same problems.

• Options
    Oh... I guess I found all the alternate recipes then.

pnIoJZz.png

Which is nice because I can ignore the ones on the central plateau for a while now... and I don't have to immediately go back to the goddamn poison spider swamp for the one that takes turbomotors...

• Options
    Finished my resource intake redesign, I'll have to take a picture tonight

Next project is getting the rest of the tier 3 and 4 stuff automated including the fancy space elevator parts so I can unlock tiers 5 and 6

2x39jD4.jpg