As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Supercomputers done! Making two manufacturers worth. Some goes to a bin for building, some will go towards radio control units, the rest into a shredder.

DnUp4LR.png

I had to break this one up a bit to make the best use of the space. Also Turbomotors are going to need a bunch of quickwire too so it was easier to make a discreet production line just for that. I'm kind of amazed I was able to keep the overall footprint this small actually. Manufacturers really throw off my ability to plan clean layouts somehow. They're so giant and need so many inputs.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I just spent a solid two hours tapping and powering my first oil extractor and now understand why wars are fought over this stuff.

I've also caved a little to efficiency setting up a row of industrial storage containers on my second level while the first level remains a horrific landscape of OSHA violations.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I rebuilt my iron works for the third time last night

This time I've designed it with expansion in mind so instead of being restricted to the horizontal axis and having things next to each other I've gone for rows. With the splitters I can have two rows of constructors / smelters / assemblers from each input feed and then the output all links back to a central point where it's split off into storage containers or moves on to the next stage. I made three floors - iron ore comes in the bottom and then the "advanced parts" (reinforced plates / rotors / modular sub frames) come out the top

I probably could've left it how it was and move onto trying to get steel up and running and move up the tiers but I wanted to get some practice in on making things work nicely and be able to ramp up production without a big, sprawling mess. I've got something like 1500 screws per minute which is a big step up from where I was a couple of days ago -- starving my assemblers of materials whilst everything waited for parts and making one frame every 5 minutes

But I'm not going to. Next I need to re-work the copper / caterium so that's doing the same thing. Can't wait!

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    I cheated and left things running overnight.

Am now a billionaire.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Leaving the game running overnight is the big brain play

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Do you think, when we eventually get dedicated servers, that production should be slower to compensate for the game always being running?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Do you think, when we eventually get dedicated servers, that production should be slower to compensate for the game always being running?

Nah. It’s not a competitive game, so “balance” isn’t really the same concern. Keeping production where it’s at helps respect players’ time and doesn’t push overnighting to be de facto mandatory.

Also, the important shop purchases are pretty easy to acquire. Mass tickets only matters if you’re trying to get statues. They could adjust the scaling for tickets once you’re in the hundreds, I suppose.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Yeah I don't see much of an issue letting things continue to run. I'm sure there will be some options like allowing for it only when someone is signed in, varied production rates, etc for those who want it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So my internet went down yesterday. I tried playing offline but when I fired up the game it treated me as a new player with empty inventory. I didn't have anything critical like harddrives, but it's still annoying. Is that stuff gone now or will it reappear when I get online again?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So my internet went down yesterday. I tried playing offline but when I fired up the game it treated me as a new player with empty inventory. I didn't have anything critical like harddrives, but it's still annoying. Is that stuff gone now or will it reappear when I get online again?

Thats a little weird since the save is local.

• Options

Maybe i died, its been a couple days. I didnt see a corpse icon though. Ill have to run around a bit.

• Options

Maybe i died, its been a couple days. I didnt see a corpse icon though. Ill have to run around a bit.

Try loading a slightly earlier save, if possible?

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    You monsters tempted me. I now have a very small factory bringing in iron, copper, and limestone.

• Options
    You monsters tempted me. I now have a very small factory bringing in iron, copper, and limestone.

The first ore is free

Before long you'll be posting factory pics and talking about how you found a better way to route your screw production to account for a new alternate recipe and how it's so great that it cuts out an entire constructor step and this'll help you get your refineries going that much sooner and

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    me and a buddy got this and started playing this last weekend... and we played a whole lot of it. We're up to getting aluminum production online. This game has taken over my brain

Our original base hub is a mess of sprawling machinery and conveyor belts. Further away resource hubs have gotten a lot cleaner, but eventually everything leads back to the chaos factory

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Just pave over it

No one has to know

• Options
    Oh no, now the game has told me I can make different sorts of things in my parts assemblers.

I'm gonna have to rip up and redo all of these beautiful production lines aren't I.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    No.

You get to rip up and redo all those beautiful production lines.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I'd be a fool to not have an assembler making every permutation of thing for every sort of raw input.

And then output them to storage containers for easy pickup.

And to serve as a source for combining different things into an inevitable additional tier of things.

• Options
    I'd be a fool to not have an assembler making every permutation of thing for every sort of raw input.

And then output them to storage containers for easy pickup.

And to serve as a source for combining different things into an inevitable additional tier of things.

T1acYCq.png

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    How many of you have used trains to transport goods yet? So far I have been running conveyors but I think Once I decide to extract resources from the other biomes I will go ahead and build a rail line.

Uses for the smart splitters. Use trucks/trains to pick up multiple items and have the station outputs distribute them via smart splitters to in line storage; it will minimize the risk of backing up and plugging the splitters.

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    How many of you have used trains to transport goods yet? So far I have been running conveyors but I think Once I decide to extract resources from the other biomes I will go ahead and build a rail line.

Uses for the smart splitters. Use trucks/trains to pick up multiple items and have the station outputs distribute them via smart splitters to in line storage; it will minimize the risk of backing up and plugging the splitters.

I use trains to transport aluminum ingots, simply because there aren't a lot of bauxite nodes on the map and none of them are really anywhere near a starting area (except the western cliffs one, which is very high up)

Once I get my compacted coal setup going, one will also take compacted coal to my power plant. And probably bring back cloth from the leftover resin there so I can keep a supply of filters.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Smart splitters are just not worth the trouble without overflow functionality. The way they get jammed up breaks things too much.

Speaking of overflow, I kind of expect them to add an official method to do it eventually, but until then this is a great setup for it: https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/f589r7/compact_overflow_solution/

Super useful for keeping your refineries functioning without getting jammed when your byproducts back up. I find it very funny that at me and my buddy's aluminum plant we take water byproduct, bottle it, and then incinerate it... at a factory built overtop of a lake.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Got everything up and running, by morning I'll have bins with everything I need to unlock tiers 5 and 6

...I want to rip my factory apart and rebuild it again

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Finally done with Turbomotors!

4uMzeOg.png?1

I feel like my need to fit production lines in as small a place as possible is stressing me out too much. Look at this chaos.
    PkbEJBJ.png?2
    WikPTrE.png?1

At least the surplus is good shredder fuel.

qUFgW8B.png?1

• Options
    Oh no, now the game has told me I can make different sorts of things in my parts assemblers.

I'm gonna have to rip up and redo all of these beautiful production lines aren't I.

If you're weak

Real factory makers just conveyor belt everything and hide it under a layer of concrete

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Now I've finally gotten all my iron production re-done. Everything up to modular sub frames is being generated with any overflow dumped into storage

Now I get to rip out my copper generation and get copper sheets producing with some amount of efficiency so I can get the copper rotors going. I keep forgetting about cable so I'll have to run a little wire to cable node to keep me topped up

Then I'll start on steel generation, like I originally was going to last week before I needed to add the additional coal plant

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I could definitely improve it but for now I really like how my raw material intake area turned out

IjwElPAh.png

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    That looks really cool and I can only imagine is a nightmare to actually separate out to where it needs to go after.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    That looks really cool and I can only imagine is a nightmare to actually separate out to where it needs to go after.

If the belts were elevated downstream, I bet it wouldn't be too horrible. Weave that into a few vertically stacked rows and then run splitters off that.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    So it turns out that the game does some sort of server check for your player name and if it's offline and can't do this check you get assigned a number and enter the game as a new player. It's very annoying.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Its not toooo bad actually, below those glass foundations is a big space I have hidden behind a wall where I do the actual organzing

I just pull a vertical conveyer down to whatever floor in the factory needs it and then poke it out through the wall so for the most part it works out like a main bus oriented vertically

I'm sure eventually it won't be able to expand enough to meet my resource needs but for now the most inconvenient part is moving between floors and I'm gonna fix that with hyper tubes

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Why have organization when you can instead have SPAGHETTI FACTORY!

MWA0fr3.png

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    *looks at bin*

That's odd, I should have overflow High-Speed Connectors.

*follows the machine belts*

Oh, I left one of the lifts at Mk1 instead of Mk2. Dangit.

-edit-

No, that's not it, I may have miscalculated something somewhere and I think I'm only making half as many as I need...

-double edit-

Thankfully, it wasn't a huge problem. I calculated the correct amount of raw resources, but only built two manufacturers instead of the needed four. One of the few circumstances where I am okay with using power shards to increase a machines production. (also power is no longer a real problem for me)

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Why have organization when you can instead have SPAGHETTI FACTORY!

It's perfect

Tynnan on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Today was mostly cleaning up my supercomputer production line to fix my gaffe with the High Speed Connectors, and then using the new items I am producing to unlock Nuclear Power, and the remaining stuff in the MAM. (and then the Mk3 wall power mounts in the shop)

Technically, I could go find a nice spot to build a nuclear production facility but honestly until they add a way to deal with nuclear waste easier, I think I will pass. I'll probably just upgrade my power plant to Turbofuel and go collect the rest of the hard drives for when the next update comes along.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Would people be interested in a "server" if I started a game and left it running?

• Options
    edited April 2020
    You can sort of have the equivalent of a server by passing the game save back and forth. That’s what me and my buddy have been doing and it works surprisingly well. The game even remembers which character is yours, and offline character will still be in the world standing idle while offline (you can totally cover them in explosives and kill them and take their stuff if you wanted...)

So if you wanted multiplayer that wasn’t dependent on everyone being on at the same time:
    - Add everyone as friends, if someone is already online and playing just join that game.
    - If you’re hosting the world and want to log off then save, quit, and upload the save to a shared google drive or something.
    - If you want to play and no one else is hosting already, just go grab the latest save from the google drive.

Sounds like you can do a simple edit to the ini to up the max player count too

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Finally got refineries and manufacturers, so much stuff to organize now

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Finally got refineries and manufacturers, so much stuff to organize now

Refinery recipes are the most efficient way to process a lot of resources, just keep in mind they are expensive to run in terms of power. So don't go too crazy with them at first.