As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So, pipes do loose fluid on reload. That's a known thing. I forget which specific bit it is, i think it's the intakes on joints and buildings will all loose 5m3.

Beyond that, without seeing your setup it's really hard to diagnose things but i'm pretty sure you'll have made a building error or two in there - they're just way harder to find with pipes than with conveyor belts. That's not me being rude, or at least not trying to be! it's the reality of the game that all the planning in the world will not cover for player error and thinking you did something when you didn't. Again! Not trying to be rude, just that any design will have errors in it somewhere, and learning to troubleshoot problems is part of the game. It's part of why i tend to build my factories into distinct subsections, and always, always have grinders setup to test them and ensure they run at max capcaity (I'd kill for a throughput counter, but we dont have that because reasons, so grinders and manualyl checking nothing yellow/red lights is the next best bet).

Speaking of fluid setups etcera:
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

It's finished. 600m3 of oil -> 800 Plastic, 800 Rubber and 400 polymer resin every minute. The resin's reserved ot turn into plastics later on via the residuals recipe so i can use it where i deem fit, and to save me a bit of a headache on organizing all of this. Bit of overlocking used to keep things simple and allow for exact numbers - every refinery here takes in 40 R/P & 40 fuel a minute and spits out 80 of it's respective resource. Each block is 400 of it's resulting output, enough to not quite saturaate mk4 belts. I'll probably replace the mk4s with mk5s soon, but it was important in the testing phase to use mk4s. Also, conveintly, this means every fuel line is only 400m3 a minute, so the only fail point for liquids is the original 600m3 from the oil source. Nothing i can do about that, but any losses should be marginal (in the order of about 5m3 a minute at most, probably a lot less) which means that any % loss down stream is very very minor.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I've rebuilt sections multiple times and they always wind up breaking down again. Also, if it was a build error, you'd think the problem would be more consistent. Instead of basically being random.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I've rebuilt sections multiple times and they always wind up breaking down again. Also, if it was a build error, you'd think the problem would be more consistent. Instead of basically being random.

That dosent rule out build error - you could be making the same mistake multiple times. Again! I'm not trying to be rude, just pointing otu that diagnosing is hard.

If you want, upload your map somewhere and throw me a link, and i'll see if i can figure out what is wrong. I've spent (way) too long wrangling liquids in this game and have gotten pretty good at debugging them when they go wrong.

• Options
    Hey, if I did something wrong, that'd be lovely to know. I sent you a PM with a link to my save.

Can't believe it's only 5 megabytes for a save I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours into.

• Options
    AlanF5AlanF5 Registered User regular
    Hey, if I did something wrong, that'd be lovely to know. I sent you a PM with a link to my save.

Can't believe it's only 5 megabytes for a save I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours into.

If it makes you feel any better, that would be roughly ten full-length novels stored as plain text.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Got my Fics*mas factory fully automated at this point. Nothing terribly extravagant but 4 stars a minute. I still have an entire floor un-used so I'll probably just save the space for whatever Fics*mas events there are next year.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Alright. I have gotten pissed off enough tonight. I am somehow having issues with buildings deciding to not rotate. Splitters, mergers, smetlers, constructors, and assemblers. They are not directly connected to anything but they will simply not face the direction I am trying to get them to face. Meaning, I will have all the splitters facing North(for example), and then I'll place 8 facing there, but then working my way down my planned line, they will stop facing North. They will also not even let me rotate them to face North. They'll face East, West, or South, but they will not face North. When I move it away it may start to face North again, but then it's not in the right position. I have tried deleting the foundation(s), replacing them, and restarting the game. No dice. They simply will NOT face the right direction in that position on the map. It as irritated me enough for the night. This has also happened in a few spots in this area where I am trying to build this new facility.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I managed to find recycled plastic and rubber recipes before I even got an oil setup going. Even without diluted fuel, it's pretty nice to be able to put out that volume so early on with residual fuel.

I may have screwed up a little bit - I thought I'd be fine with producing rubber with my first set of refineries, then make residual fuel and turn as much of that as I can into plastic. You end up with ~270 plastic and ~70 rubber.

The issue is that if either of them backs up, it stops producing the other. I may go back and fix it, but I don't have nearly enough tickets from the sink as-is, so I'll just dump the overflow in there for now.

Also managed to snag the pure copper, cat, iron, and quartz recipes. I'm hoping to find the solid steel recipe as well, but I haven't seen it yet.

• Options
    Pretty sure i solved Undead Scottsman's problem!

Pumps! Need more pumps! This isnt their fault, the game is crappy at explaining things. But for whatever reason, having pumps on horiztonal lay outs is a *huge* improvement to pipe's workability. Theortically valves should do the same, but i've never gotten great results with those. I daisy chain mine - start at whatever the rearmost liquid producer is, and then chain pumps every time the headlift marker comes up. I usually use mk2s because they're cheaper in the long run and clip less.

My personal bet is that if you want to cut down on power needs you need to make some sort of _|-|_ shape with a pump pushing it up at one end, and valves on the other so that you ahve the natural headlift of coming from a height (liquids like to flow from high to low)

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Man these Lift Floor openings really make a world of difference when it comes to routing stuff. Makes multi-floor production lines much, much cleaner.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Man these Lift Floor openings really make a world of difference when it comes to routing stuff. Makes multi-floor production lines much, much cleaner.

I've been using them to keep things that are visible looking nice and organized, and go full clipispagetti underneath rather than stress myself out trying to wrangle pipes and stuff.

It's worked very well!

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I've been using them to keep things that are visible looking nice and organized, and go full clipispagetti underneath rather than stress myself out trying to wrangle pipes and stuff.

It's worked very well!

Yeah I do that with my subfloors as well, but now I have much more freedom on where to route things. Before I had to use walkways to block off 3/4 of a foundation to make room for lifts. Now I can put them anywhere.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Yay! My new RAM arrived and works so the Satisfactory server should be working much better now. Hit me up on Steam or Discord if you want the login info. (Username: UndeadScottsman)

• Options
    Ok so maybe I'm dumb but is there a place that can layout how much of each, if harvesting a Pure Iron node at 480, you need for Stitched Iron Plates (f using Iron Wire)? By that I mean how many Iron Wire and Plates p/m using that node for full use (or how many constructors per unit).

I know the production planner has the reverse as in telling it I want to make 30 units it tells you how to set that up. I want the opposite. I want to tell it I have 480 Iron coming in and want to make Stitched plates.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    5.625 Stiched Iron Plates take 18.75 iron plates and 37.5 iron wire per minute.

Iron Wire makes 22.5 wire per minute using 12.5 iron ingots

The base Iron plate recipie make 20 a minute for 30 ingots.

So IW is .55555 ingot per wire
    Iron Plates are 1.5 ingot per plate

So the basic iron plate recipe would take 28.125 ingots and iron wire would take 28.833333333 ingots per minute. So about 48.96 ignots, meaning you could get about 9 assemblers going with this recipie off a 480 node, requiring 168.75 iron plate and 337.5 iron wire, or around 8.5 iron plate constructors and a flat 15 constructors for iron wire. You'll have some slop leftover with iron ingots and iron plates, so you can either just let things back up, or set up some overflow protection with some awesome sinks.

• Options
    edited December 2021

So the basic iron plate recipe would take 28.125 ingots and iron wire would take 28.833333333 ingots per minute. So about 48.96 ignots, meaning you could get about 9 assemblers going with this recipie off a 480 node, requiring 168.75 iron plate and 337.5 iron wire, or around 8.5 iron plate constructors and a flat 15 constructors for iron wire. You'll have some slop leftover with iron ingots and iron plates, so you can either just let things back up, or set up some overflow protection with some awesome sinks.

I see. Thanks @Undead Scottsman I have no idea why I was having trouble. I'll blame it on work. Been working longer hours due to critical orders so I get home kinda fried; which makes matching hard.

RightfulSin on
  • Options
    It's intentionally supposed to be a little confusing; Coffee Stain wants you to have to do some really inelegant math to use alternate recipies. (Like, seriously, 5.625 plates per minute, what?)

• Options
    @RightfulSin Satisfactory tools. You will need to select the alternate recipe and adjust available amounts of resources as it looks good the "most" optimal solution in a vacuume. (For a lark, enable all alternate recipes, select miners, then hit maximize from the drop-down where you can adjust the target. Results are fascinating)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ok so maybe I'm dumb but is there a place that can layout how much of each, if harvesting a Pure Iron node at 480, you need for Stitched Iron Plates (f using Iron Wire)? By that I mean how many Iron Wire and Plates p/m using that node for full use (or how many constructors per unit).

I know the production planner has the reverse as in telling it I want to make 30 units it tells you how to set that up. I want the opposite. I want to tell it I have 480 Iron coming in and want to make Stitched plates.

You can still do that with the planner. Just put that you want 1 RIP per minute with the stitched recipe enabled.

Then put that you have 480 iron ore / ingots as an input.

Then just click up the RIP / minute 1 at a time until you run out and it adds another mine.

• Options
    @Undead Scottsman @The Zombie Penguin and @Elvenshae Thanks the tips. My fried brain is grateful.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular

I see. Thanks @Undead Scottsman I have no idea why I was having trouble. I'll blame it on work. Been working longer hours due to critical orders so I get home kinda fried; which makes matching hard.

Wouldn't it be 20.833 ingots per Iron Wire?

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »

Wouldn't it be 20.833 ingots per Iron Wire?

Yeah, that was a typo; the math used 20.833.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

You can still do that with the planner. Just put that you want 1 RIP per minute with the stitched recipe enabled.

Then put that you have 480 iron ore / ingots as an input.

Then just click up the RIP / minute 1 at a time until you run out and it adds another mine.

Also if you only enable the recipes you want and set your available iron ore to 480 (you can do this!) then hit maximize, it'll show you a route that makes as many as possible.

This can create some weird results, but it's educational.

One other tip is don't be afraid to mess with overclocking. It can make things a lot simpler on the building end - I could build 13.3333 manufacturers to make batteries. Or I could over clock them so they make 40 a minute instead of 30 and save myself the headache.... And the space.

• Options
    Finished up a little section of my rail supports. I am liking how these are turning out.

kts98a3nv9k9.jpg

• Options
    The packing minigame is one of the biggest discrepancies between looking easy when someone else is playing and then being hard as hell when you're the actual person behind the mouse.

Also I need to stop watching Satisfactory youtube videos; everyone's factory looks so much better than mine, even when I go out of my way to try and make it look good.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    I constantly wish I could just do an extreme overhead zoom-out to lay tracks and foundation as though this were Factorio or something.

I have the hover pack but its limited range and reliance on power sources is a bit frustrating.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Doesn't help your height issue, but remember that rails count as power transmitters if they're connected to a station that's powered.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    See, now i *almost* feel guilty posting this fantastic aerial shot of my plastic/rubber factory.

almost.

@RT800 Look up the Expanded Hover Range mod - there's one that i use that scales the range of the hover pack based on the tier of power point it's connecting to. Which is really nice/useful.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    God I can't wait to unlock the hoverpack.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Looking up stuff that was found in the game files in earlier versions and I'm curious how much of this will find it's way to future versions of the game. There's some obvious stuff that ain't happening (heat resistent suit, mk.2 rifle and a rebar scatter gun) and other stuff that's kind of wild

Converter: Made using SAM ore, takes any two resources and makes any one resource. Imagine if this sees the light of day it'll be wildly different. (If I was designing things, it'd by called the Synthasizer and would take SAM ore and turn it into other raw materials)

Powered Wall: Makes the attached foundations able to power anything built on them, removing the need for power lines. I figure this one is dead in the water, as I can't imagine Coffee Stain eliminating the power line mechanic even at endgame.

Quantum Encoder: Basically another manufacturing building used to make Quantum Crystals (Quantum Computer componant) and Superposition Oscilators. Other than looking cool, I don't see anything here that can't be faciliated by another building, so I could see this never showing up. Looks cool as hell though.

Remote Storage: Uses SAM ore to make a storage container that can be accessed in multiple places. Basically you build one of these in multiple places and each of them access the same inventory, essentially allowing you to teleport things. It only has an input however; no output. I feel like this would be more of a utility rather than used for any build stuff, since you can't use it as output and it doesn't sound like you'd be able to set up mulitple networks. I like the idea, but I'd imagine this won't show up or will be very different when it does.

Mark 2 Buildings: Basic manufacturing buildings as mk2 versions that produce stuff 25-50% faster for twice as much power (or more). Basically reduces the amount of machines you need to build without requiring power shards. I think they've mentioned these aren't happening, and given how easy it is to get power shards, I can see why.

Given you can abuse hypertubes to reduce travel time to nil, and coffee stain doesn't seem like they mind, I wouldn't be surprised if they added teleport pads in at some point, but I'm just speculating now.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    They're a bit werid about travel in this game - They've said they dont want to add a jetpack + blade runners combo in the game that's just the two of those smushed toghter for fear of game balance issues, and i'm sort of... but why? about it. Players can smash any kind of diffuclty in getting around the map with a bit of creative thinking, removing some hoop jumping is not a big issue.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Balance issues?

It's about making factories, not combat. It's not like a jetpack/blade runner combo would somehow break the game.

Although I actually wouldn't mind a bit more diversity in terms of alien wildlife.

RT800 on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    RT800 wrote: »
    Balance issues?

It's about making factories, not combat. It's not like a jetpack/blade runner combo would somehow break the game.

Although I actually wouldn't mind a bit more diversity in terms of alien wildlife.

They've spoken before about how they try to tie the movement abilities to the increasing complexity of the factories. Between making movement too easy and too hard. So like in the very beginning you're just on foot, and at eye level with the factories you're making. They are either on the ground or single level affairs. As you progress in tiers the complexity of your factory goes up, and bladerunners unlock. Now you can move and jump farther, and survive falls from short multilevel factories. Same thing with the Jetpack and Hoverpack.

I do agree though I don't think it's massively game breaking to have two body slots. Maybe at the bottom of the Caterium tree is a "Exo Suit" that lets you equip two body items at once. Make it take reinforced iron frames and super computers or some shit. Maybe it unlocks permanent blade runner ability. Something.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I just want to be able to use a defensive item and a mobility item at the same time. Building my nuclear recycling in a giant pit resulted in numerous fall deaths because I couldn't jetpack and hazmat at the same time.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    They don't want to give up the tension of seeing if you can open your inventory and swap to a jetpack in time while you're in the middle of an assuredly fatal fall

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    They've said they're planning on doing an equipment rework at some point, though they do not as of yet have anything concrete as far as what that'll work like.

• Options
    Anyway if you guys think your factories are ugly:

Look upon my works and despair.

• Options
    That's not too bad! You just need some walls!

• Options
    Yes... yes walls to hide everything.

No windows.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    “Iron ore goes in. Modular frames come out. We don’t talk about what happens on the inside.