As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

1676869707173»

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 8
    I would not be opposed to some sort of teleportation pad type deal you could construct for map traversal.

Even with hypertubes it can take waaaay too long to get from one side of the map to another.

Ever spend five minutes traveling to a factory location with everything you think you need, only to get there and be like "am I out of iron plates? AM I OUT OF FUCKING IRON PLATES?"

RT800 on
    Elvenshae
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    This is why I carry the materials to build a drone port everywhere, have my drone fleet setup, and have a trainnetwork so failing that i can still ride a train wherever i want and just... read a book for a couple of minutes. Way safer/easier.

I honeslty have never found Hypertubes worth the bother - long distance, they're way less useful than a train network, short distance, i have the hoverpack or blade runners to get around. And i never feel like i have any mid distances they'd be worth covering (Same issue i have with vehicles that arent trains, tbh. Though those also have the added logistics burden)
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

My exploded Modular Frame Factory nears it's completion. Just 3 more stages to go - Encased Industrial Beams, Heavy Modular Frames, and Fused Modular Frames. Everything's set up for it, it's just a matter of building those last sections and linking up the logistics.

...which if you cant already tell are pretty well hidden underneath the factory floors. Let's not talk about the spaghetti down there- you cant see it, it doesn't exist.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    ElvenshaeDocASimPersonKruite
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, I think you have the right idea. If you need to run power out to a remote factory, you might as well spend the time to run a train line out there, especially if you like setting up trains. It's something I really tend to under-invest in, and once I have my remote factory set up I end up having to figure out how to transport the parts anyway.

Elvenshae
    Also, I assume that you're outputting all different types of modular frames there - what method do you use to make sure you're outputting modular/heavy modular frames? Do you have more machines than you need producing those, or do you have everything set up to optimally produce fused modular frames, and rely on things backing up all the way down the line into overflow splitters?

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    Also, I assume that you're outputting all different types of modular frames there - what method do you use to make sure you're outputting modular/heavy modular frames? Do you have more machines than you need producing those, or do you have everything set up to optimally produce fused modular frames, and rely on things backing up all the way down the line into overflow splitters?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, to be honest?

This is producing all the way to Fused Modular Frames - though because FMFs require so much fucking aluminum, i'm capping what i can make of them. This factory will make 34.4 HMFs per minute, of which 11.7 will be further converted into Fused Modular Frames per second - i could increase this, but it'd require shipping in way more nitrogen gas and aluminum. If i really wanted to go nuts i'd probably need to redesign things to use the Heat Fused recipe, and that's a whole other level of headache that's just not worth it currently.

The way things are setup is that the factory will always prioritize filling up the drone ports before stuff can be shipped onwards to the next stage of construction. For instance, there's actually setup you can see right on the right that makes Iron Rods - completely unncessary for FMF chain i'm using, but very, very useful for general building needs. So the factory will send steel ingots to make rods there, and if the steel rods are backed up, then the ingots go where they're actually needed. Rinse and repeat.

This does mean that some stuff that stacks up really high can kind of fuck with the factory if i call a drone out (Since i cant get a drone to *just* deliver me one stack of an item, it brings like 10?) and there's no elegant way i can think of to have the drone take excess back and and refill, but whatever. It's not a huge issue in the long run.

Probably worth noting that this factory is built around using the full output of two pure iron ore nodes, two pure coal, waste product from aluminum factory (Resin converted into Plastic, used for the very efficient Steel Coated Plates recipe), and one whole aluminum node, which is why i'm refusing to make anything more than 11.7 Fused Modular Frames a minute because those fuckers are expensive. (Literally all that Aluminum is needed just for the Fused frames)

edited May 8
    Basically:

1. Build everything to make the maximum number of fused frames. If you're not using all of them, production backs up and you split the overflow heavy modular frames into a separate output. The same thing happens further back in the line for modular frames. Gives better peak fused frame production, but (sometimes much) less reliable figures for other frames.

or

2. Make less than the maximum number of fused frames, and split off the excess parts early on. Gives reliable numbers of other frames, but a lower peak rate of fused frames.

It sounds like you were not limited by the number of heavy frames, but rather the aluminum parts required for the fused frames. So you can get the best of both worlds, I guess.

Doc on
    Doc wrote: »
    Basically:

1. Build everything to make the maximum number of fused frames. If you're not using all of them, production backs up and you split the overflow heavy modular frames into a separate output. The same thing happens further back in the line for modular frames. Gives better peak fused frame production, but (sometimes much) less reliable figures for other frames.

or

2. Make less than the maximum number of fused frames, and split off the excess parts early on. Gives reliable numbers of other frames, but a lower peak rate of fused frames. This is what you've described.

I mean, everything's setup to i make the maximum number of what i can with the limitations of what resources i'm supplying and what recipes i'm using. 1560 Iron + 1560 Coal per minute = 34.47 HMFs. This is less than the theortical maximum i could get out, which is 42.49/min, but that second figure requires significantly more power and space ontop of much, much more complicated logistics. The only advantage it'd have would be suppling Wire via the Iron Wire recipe and eeeurgh. So it's making the most possible fused MFs i can, it's just that it makes even more Heavy Modulars because i'm not willing to tap even more of the limited bauxite on the map.

Doc
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Lots of great changes to the map and radar towers.

ElvenshaeJedoc3cl1ps3TynnanTankHammerTamin
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hell yeah, physical beacons have always been kind of a bummer to use.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    3cl1ps3webguy20TankHammerTynnanTaminPenumbraSporkAndrewElvenshae
    Jedoc wrote: »

Well, I need to get on to making a *really* big battery plant and also installing some sort of backup bootstrap power system because beacons getting removed will likely break my nuclear power plant

Well, I need to get on to making a *really* big battery plant and also installing some sort of backup bootstrap power system because beacons getting removed will likely break my nuclear power plant

?

Beacons are the things you use to mark places on the map.

• PeewiPeewi I'm a cube now Registered User regular

?

There's an alternate Uranium Fuel Rod recipe that uses beacons.

Switch: SW-6132-4331-5349 || Steam profile
    Nz3ekNM.png
    3cl1ps3

?

Beacons are also an ingredient in the Uranium Fuel Unit recipe as Peewi mentions, which is the corse of my nuclear power factory. Which is also my only current power factory on the map with the exception of some geothermal power.

So if beacons get removed and something else gets added, my entire power plant will in fact crater impressively.

Huh..

It's the best recipe to be using if your interest in Uranium is pure power production, as it produces the most UFRs out of the avaible uranium. The math for getting Plutonium fuel rods maximized is werid and complicated and not something i've understood let alone solved. Also you cant recycle plutonim and i'm really hestitant to let anything like that build up (both for the annoyance, and also potential impact on my game).

I want to rebuild my NPP anyway because i'm not very happy with it for a variety of reasons and if they fix the unuseable water in the swamp then it'll be a lot easier to redesign it anyway - i can build way, way more of it deep off shore, which will make the swamp easier and safer to navigate and open up more resources for me to use. Plus i understand way more about trains, and my old NPP is built around a whole set of single A-B trains, rather than being intergrated into a whole cohesive network and that's just disgusting, i mean really. Ew.

edited May 13

?

Beacons are also an ingredient in the Uranium Fuel Unit recipe as Peewi mentions, which is the corse of my nuclear power factory. Which is also my only current power factory on the map with the exception of some geothermal power.

So if beacons get removed and something else gets added, my entire power plant will in fact crater impressively.

It didn't sound like they were planning to remove physical beacons altogether, just make them more controllable from the map screen and give you non-beacon options for placing generic map icons.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg

?

It didn't sound like they were planning to remove physical beacons altogether, just make them more controllable from the map screen and give you non-beacon options for placing generic map icons.

They are though, becaons are out right gone!

https://old.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/uotuac/how_radar_towers_and_ingame_map_will_change/i8gtymn/

"Yeah we're aiming to remove them completely unless we feel like there's some aspect we haven't thought about that can't be solved in a different way. Recipes will be affected by this."

Anyway for now i've remebered that my Nuclear Power plant was actually a bit more productive than it used up interms of making things, so i've quickly jury rigged a massive storage stack to collect Nuclear Fuel Rods, which will at least ammeriolate any immediate issues. I just need to make sure i've got everything else setup to shut down excess power useage before i flip to the Experimental whenver that realeases and i should be good.

Oh! Well, dang, that is going to screw a bunch of stuff up.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Oh! Well, dang, that is going to screw a bunch of stuff up.

Eh, it's early access. I accept that the price for this is that my 1.6k+ hour world is going to get shit broken in it from time to time, sometimes quite extensively. It's no worse than what I've done to it repeatedly! *Waldorf and Statler.gif*

...Seriously i have no idea how many times i've ripped up factories and rebuilt from the ground up in this world, but it's a lot. I honestly plan when 1.0 hits or whatever to start a new world, immediately use a cheat to unlock everything and all research, dump a chest with an infinite amount of tickets in it next to my player character, and go nuts on building the super factories of my dreams across the world.

edited May 13
    I'm just now getting into trains after depending on kilometer-long belts for my entire pioneering career. They're fun! I can't believe they were ever implemented without the horn.

Also, I haven't really gotten much into the aluminum stage since it became a refinery product, so this should be infuriatingly fun.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited May 13
    If you're willing to be ineffecient, you can do some streamlined aluminum setups with alt recipies.

Undead Scottsman on
    I am! In this playthrough I've determined not to do any teardowns, so in the basement of my main hub is a bunch of Mk. 1 conveyor belt iron and copper lines on bare dirt. I'm gonna go through at some point and post a bunch of spotlights and signs to turn it into a museum exhibit. Honest Jedoc's Down-Home Ironmongery and Cableteria.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    If you're will to be ineffecient, you can do some streamlined aluminum setups with alt recipies.

What do you mean inefficent? The most efficent Aluminum setup uses entirely alt recipes, because the return on using Silica in your Aluminum setups is atrociously bad and makes the logistics worse. It also cripples your inital Sloopy alumina output.

The best chain i find for general useage is to go Sloppy Alumina -> Electrode Aluminum Scrap -> Pure Aluminum Ingot. This is all alt recipes and lets you convert 1 bauxite to 1 aluminum ingot with no use of silica. Plus the only byproduct it produces is water, which you can neatly combine with Limestone for the Wet Concrete recipe and then sink, or more ideally, use elsewhere... which you know, you'll always need Concrete in this game.

Given how expensive Silica is to make, it's need in other recipes, and it's limited sources ontop of the huge logistics burden (at best you're using up a ton of limestone to make the Cheap Silica recipe, which means assemblers and needing to ship in vast quanties of limestone), this is by far the best approach. Off the top of my head you get... .2 more ingots by using Silica? Which sure it adds up, but for the logistics and expense burden it's just not worth it.

There's 6 pure bauxite on the map, 6 normal, and 5 impure. 9780 bauxite ore a minute at most if you tap it all, and Baxuite is only used to make Aluminum products. Conversly, there's 11 normal quartz and 5 pure quartz. 10500 quartz a minute, but even using pure crystal you only get 7 crystals for every 9 Quartz, and crystals are needed in a ton of things.

The main use of the Silica producing aluminum recipes is to actually make MORE silica than is normally accessible on the map.

I'm meant inefficient in the amount of bauxite used.

I'm meant inefficient in the amount of bauxite used.

But sloppy alumina is the most productive recipe for converting your bauxite, as is Electrode Scrap? the only "Bad" recipe is Pure Aluminum Ingots, and the above Sloppy/Elect/Pure is still a 1 bauxite in, 1 ingot out chain. (Note that INstant Scrap is equally productive, but requires Sulfur which is generally needed for batteries if nothing else.

The best conversion rate you can get is 780 bauxite into 1040 Ingots - a 1.33 return. Which will also require an immense 557 quartz to do. It's inefficent if you're just looking at things in a white room situation, but for actual practical builds there's very little reason to ever use the Aluminum Ingot recipe over the Pure Ingot recipe.

edited May 13
    I guess I was misremembering then. Nevermind.

Undead Scottsman on
    I'm probably being overly strident on this too, so my apologies. Having built a Silica version thoguh i'll stand by it's just not worth it, the logistics burden is real. (Which is something i wish people would take into account more, the amount of building something can require is insane).

So much more convenient to do the S/ES/P chain. Though i should give the Instant Scrap one a go sometime... it's got some potential. YOu mainly need Sulfur for Batteries (And like once you're making 400/m you're probably set for batteries, you know?) and for Power - and once you're at Nuclear power you only need so much. and Coal's fucking everywhere. Though Oil is too, and making HOR for Petroleum Coke has the benefit of the useful byproduct, so... ???

Sommat to consider anyway

Also!

IT IS DONE.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

All the way from the trains in the misty distance to the sink for the excess FMF/HMFs. Takes up basically the entire Crater Lakes Biome and makes 22.7 HMFs + 11.7 FMFs every minute. Not to mention drones for every conceivable Iron/Steel resource you could need along that chain!

PeewiJedoc3cl1ps3IanatorTynnanDocSporkAndrewElvenshae
    Have they mentioned making it so that crashes from which you've already recovered hard drives don't show up on the tracker?

I haven't played for a while and I can just tell that's going to be a pain, since I forgot which ones I got.

edited May 19
    Since you're all terribly sick people with a disease over here, i figured you'd appreciate seeing some indivdual shots of my factory, and how things are setup.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

Havent figured out my next project yet - I'm leaning towards doing a Super Computer factory, and seeing if i can crack doing a vertical design i actually like. I think with a fairly aggressive appraoch to overclocking, i might be able to make this happen? We'll see. In my head i'd have each level be stacked so it slowly gets smaller as it gets closer and closer to the final product. But building vertical factories that look good is hard, and it'd mean a LOT more work with the logistics.

The Zombie Penguin on
    3cl1ps3ElvenshaeTynnanwebguy20Al_wat
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I love the flat layout. It looks super cool.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    ElvenshaeAl_wat
    @Tynnan called it an exploded factory diagram once, iirc

Tynnan