Options

[Final Fantasy]7R gets DLC while we wait for Part 2. Guard your Materia!

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm curious about how long XVI has been in development. We all know that XII, XIII, and especially XV were in development for a long time, but XVI has just sort of popped up out of nowhere.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The game seems to be in alpha so at least for a bit I think.

I want to say probably a bit longer than when they announced the cancelation of the second wave of FFXV content to move people to an unannounced project.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I feel like Bravely Default is now their way of appeasing old fans who want that sweet, sweet turn based combat. So they may not be doing a FF game every other year or whatever but they are still giving us something to look forward to.

Eh, I hope not. BD2, left me feeling pretty empty. Don't get me wrong, it had a lot of good parts, but I think it was the weakest of the series, it's story was just flat bad, with virtually nothing the game introduced that might have made it more interesting ever actually getting addressed. Even by classic jrpg standards it was a plainly bad narrative. I guess compared to FFIII (not VI, actual III) it was the same level of "meh?" At least III can say it didn't bother trying to make it look like a deeper story only to just ignore everything in the end, it was just simple. FFIV, runs circles around BD2 in about every single regard, and it's nearly 30 years old. V had a better job system than BD2 because it made interesting jobs that didn't try to narrow their scope into an extremely specific role that wasn't terribly useful 99% of the time.

I dunno, I haven't swing so hard on a game feeling enjoyable until suddenly.it didn't and every single bad design choice hit at the same time and soured the whole experience, like BD2 in, well, in a long enough time that I can't recall something similar. Hell, even comparing FFXV, the complete collapse of the narrative didn't retroactively make the rest frustrating to me, I still played it more after the ending because there was more to do that I was enjoying (though pitioss can get bent), whereas after I finished the true ending of BD2 I could barely bring myself to want to play anymore (and didn't).

I guess I'm concerned that if BD2 is the yardstick for what to expect in regards to classic JRPGs from SE, I'll just pass.

I don't like the idea that classic JRPG is equated in some minds with a hollow story and generic characters. At least since the SNES era, that isn't what they were. :(

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    I feel like Bravely Default is now their way of appeasing old fans who want that sweet, sweet turn based combat. So they may not be doing a FF game every other year or whatever but they are still giving us something to look forward to.

Eh, I hope not. BD2, left me feeling pretty empty. Don't get me wrong, it had a lot of good parts, but I think it was the weakest of the series, it's story was just flat bad, with virtually nothing the game introduced that might have made it more interesting ever actually getting addressed. Even by classic jrpg standards it was a plainly bad narrative. I guess compared to FFIII (not VI, actual III) it was the same level of "meh?" At least III can say it didn't bother trying to make it look like a deeper story only to just ignore everything in the end, it was just simple. FFIV, runs circles around BD2 in about every single regard, and it's nearly 30 years old. V had a better job system than BD2 because it made interesting jobs that didn't try to narrow their scope into an extremely specific role that wasn't terribly useful 99% of the time.

I dunno, I haven't swing so hard on a game feeling enjoyable until suddenly.it didn't and every single bad design choice hit at the same time and soured the whole experience, like BD2 in, well, in a long enough time that I can't recall something similar. Hell, even comparing FFXV, the complete collapse of the narrative didn't retroactively make the rest frustrating to me, I still played it more after the ending because there was more to do that I was enjoying (though pitioss can get bent), whereas after I finished the true ending of BD2 I could barely bring myself to want to play anymore (and didn't).

I guess I'm concerned that if BD2 is the yardstick for what to expect in regards to classic JRPGs from SE, I'll just pass.

I don't like the idea that classic JRPG is equated in some minds with a hollow story and generic characters. At least since the SNES era, that isn't what they were. :(

Yeah I honestly just now unlocked the Thief class in BD2 so I can somewhat agree that everything feels hollow. But unfortunately it seems like they want to keep the cost down so they don't focus hard on the characters or the story.... But they nail the turn based combat and the gameplay. I don't think we'll ever get to a point where SE will toss some good money towards a non-FF game story. Knowing that if it doesn't have FF on the cover it's not guaranteed to sell like hotcakes.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Eh. The Bravely series has varying qualities between the games. I definitely liked the story in BD1 and BS more, but I’ve had more interest in continuing BD2’s story than Octopath Traveller’s, thus far.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Eh. The Bravely series has varying qualities between the games. I definitely liked the story in BD1 and BS more, but I’ve had more interest in continuing BD2’s story than Octopath Traveller’s, thus far.

Well that's not saying much since OTs story was bite-sized and nearly non-existant.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Interesting.

I actually stopped playing BD1 completely because the writing was SO BAD.

I can count the number of games I have straight up quit after buying on my fingers. It's certainly not a common thing for me.

So I wouldn't say any of the games they have made have ever had good writing. Which is pretty disappointing. Because no matter how good gameplay is if I don't care about the characters and the story it's hard for me to care about my characters progression and in turn gameplay as much.

That said playing BD2 now and well it would be hard to say even the gameplay is great. It has some strong points but for each of those is another completely baffling design choice.

So yea.. I hope these don't continue to be the turn based replacement. Especially since I'd LOVE to see a turn based game with all the visual bells and whistles. You can get away with much more absurd animations in a turn based game.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Well that's not saying much since OTs story was bite-sized and nearly non-existant.

I'm comparing one game the company made to another one, is all. They made Octopath, which I've stalled on for a year, and they also made BD2, which I'm excited to continue. That's basically what I'm getting at.
    Interesting.

I actually stopped playing BD1 completely because the writing was SO BAD.

I can count the number of games I have straight up quit after buying on my fingers. It's certainly not a common thing for me.

So I wouldn't say any of the games they have made have ever had good writing. Which is pretty disappointing. Because no matter how good gameplay is if I don't care about the characters and the story it's hard for me to care about my characters progression and in turn gameplay as much.

That said playing BD2 now and well it would be hard to say even the gameplay is great. It has some strong points but for each of those is another completely baffling design choice.

So yea.. I hope these don't continue to be the turn based replacement. Especially since I'd LOVE to see a turn based game with all the visual bells and whistles. You can get away with much more absurd animations in a turn based game.

Huh. I get it WRT the thing that happens about halfway through the game, but this sounds like a more general issue with the character writing and stuff. Which is valid, even if I only really had issues with a couple of characters.

Of course, I guess this sort of thing is to be expected. The traditional OP for this thread does start with reasons to hate/love basically every entry in the franchise, after all.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    BD reminded me why I generally dislike turn-based systems.

They give you all these tactical toys like status effects to play with, but unable to balance them in an engaging way they just make bosses mostly or completely immune to them. And seeing as those are the only fights that really matter it ends up just being about putting together classes that dump damage the best.

As for the story yeah...I guess they thought it being "old school" meant they didn't need to make you actually give a shit about what's going on.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Nah I understand what you meant. I kind of feel the same way as others do WRT BD2 in that the story just really isn't keeping me invested. Which is weird because I fucking love when these game use Crystals and whatnot... But I played OT to completion and really enjoyed it. Whereas BD2 I have to force myself to launch.

Maybe it's the 3D graphics and the world map running at like 20fps that get me.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

They give you all these tactical toys like status effects to play with, but unable to balance them in an engaging way they just make bosses mostly or completely immune to them. And seeing as those are the only fights that really matter it ends up just being about putting together classes that dump damage the best.

As for the story yeah...I guess they thought it being "old school" meant they didn't need to make you actually give a shit about what's going on.

I feel like they give you more tools to actually make status ailments work than their inspirations. IIRC, each game has a job that's there to give you ways to make status land more regularly. Granted, I still stuck to combos for huge damage, but that's more because I like seeing those crazy turns go off.

The story, I guess I can only disagree on. That frustrating plot hole in the first game aside, BD1 and BS I thought had neat stories. Still working through BD2, but it did land an interesting plot twist on me.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    That said I'm still interested in that Triangle Strategy game. sRPGs tend to be the only turn-based games I like as there aren't as many fights and the ones that do exist usually have some kind of challenge.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I always thought JRPGs needed to treat status effects like CC in MMOs. Make it so you could control a fight by disabling an enemy in some way (typically with a fast acting character) to make damage you take survivable.

Also to make status effects not suck on bosses, give them some kind of alternate "lite" effects that don't just break the fight. Like when a boss uses strong magic, outright silence would trivialize the fight. Make it so maybe silence makes casting take longer (if that can be a thing), or like a small chance of failure, or even just weakening spells.

Also design fights with the concept that status effects exist in mind. It seems like 90% of JRPGs put stuff like status effects in their game without any concern for how they impact any fights at all. I also feel that is often the case with a lot of unique systems put in place. They create elaborate systems, have like a tutorial fight for them, a few fights you have to use them in, then almost nothing else in the game forces you to engage them. The way I put it is these games often never actually seem to be aware of themselves.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I've never liked debuff effects in JRPGs because it's always so arbitrary when you can or can't use them, and most bosses end up immune to most of them.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I've never liked debuff effects in JRPGs because it's always so arbitrary when you can or can't use them, and most bosses end up immune to most of them.

I think there's a boss in 6 you can sleep but yeah the fact that 90% of them are totally immune makes debuffing a niche thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The problem is that a lot of ailments in these games are debilitating. They get used on you, and you can handle it, because you’re in a group of 3 or more, and you generally have spells or items that can clear the status. It’s a roadblock, but one you can deal with. But hitting a solo boss enemy with sleep, paralysis, fear, Stone, and whatnot? That’s kind of way more powerful in comparison, since most bosses don’t have allies or other forms of counter-play. Those statuses would amount to completely shutting down the fight in your favor for however long they last. So it’s really hard to balance those; about as hard as balancing Death magic.

I think that the better statuses are ones that supplement a normal fight. Stuff like poison, MP drain, Slow, or stat reductions. Hitting a boss with that kind of stuff is an advantage, but you still have to actually fight them. Granted, way too many games are shy about letting you do even that. I think FFIV is the only game of its type where I can remember the Slow spell being fully reliable.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Kind of like in Trials of Mana, there's a really fun spec you can do for Hawk where his power attacks poison enemies. And then he does an extra like, 35% damage to enemies with a status effect on them. It's great!
    Except bosses are completely immune to status effects.
    You can use all the stat down debuffs, but poison, frost, burn, stone, are all out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Got back to playing ffviir again and I don't understand how so much of the systems can feel smooth and fun and then some enemy has a "remove control from your character" effect while you don't have a full party to swap or free them.

The this feels great, this feels bullshit, this feels great whiplash is real.

Also I'm kinda mad I put the game down getting frustrated on abzu2. Literally all I had to do was take barrets dumb claw away, make him use a gun with elemental fire and it may as well not even have been a fight.

I went from there to saved on the roof of the shinra building because cloud was real weak to being nonstop shotguned in my first try at that. Which honestly kinda lines up to my childhood memories

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    While the mainline games are huge and take forever to be developed, SE still regularly pumps out things that are FF adjacent. Bravely Default, Octopath Traveler, Project Triangle Strategy (which, if I had to guess, will come out this winter). There's also 14's expansions, which range from solid to amazing. Plenty of things to keep a Final Fantasy fan (heh, alliteration) happy.

---

So, regarding Noctis and Gladio:
    There's two problems with their spat on the train:

1. Noctis is supposed to be something of a spoiled prince, but we never actually see that. Outside of the inexplicable "it's hot/why is there so much running?" complaint during the Titan encounter (which was a stupid piece of dialogue all around), we don't see any royal haughtiness. Indeed, up to the train Noctis was essentially a silent protagonist. He had no discernible personality aside from trendy young man.

2. On the flip side, Gladio is toxic. He has a personality and it's locked in the asshole position. He wants to be the older brother figure, but is really just a bully. Why didn't he talk to Noctis after Titan? Why didn't he do anything to keep the rest of them on mission? Where does he ever try to take responsibility for, well, anything? Where's the guidance?

For me, that segment of the game was the worst of a really bad experience. It highlights problems with the gameplay (the lack of urgency during the open world section when the plot demands urgency), with the characters (Noctis having none to speak of and Gladio being a terrible person I wish we could push from the moving train), and plot (it all pops up suddenly, and is promptly forgotten 10 minutes later).

Maybe the DLC does a lot of heavy lifting, I don't know because I'll never play it. But, man, the vanilla experience was atrocious.

The DLC doesn't do much to fix your problems, but they are fun romps, especially Prompto's. The vistas are gorgeous, ripe for photography.

8yg7n0jvocc4.png
    DaPHxMMUwAAPXC1?format=jpg&name=large
    DaPJHQ0VAAAbEER?format=jpg&name=large
    DaRjSKRVMAU2dGS?format=jpg&name=large

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Yeah I only used Barrett's claw hand on trash mobs until I got the ability and never used it again.

His long range is one of his main strengths in a fight so taking that away was no good.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Barret's melee in general is strictly for one-shotting trash. I can't think of a boss fight where he is remotely useful like that. Though yeah it does raise questions why he has so many melee weapons.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There's a couple arena fights where it's kind of silly because it's all ground level mooks and he can basically one shot them with the skill attack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Prompto's photo album system was such a brilliant feature of FFXV. I love it.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Shin Megami Tensei III did this right, where debuffs were largely focused on weakening or strengthening resistances, accuracy, dodge, strength, magic damage, etc., rather than incapacitating your foes. Many or most bosses could be debuffed, and some would would buff themselves and debuff your party as well, so battles often became a war of keeping the boss weak and your guys strong while finding time to put out damage.

One of the many reasons that SMT: Nocturne is my favorite JRPG. It always annoyed me how useless debuff spells were in FF. X at least had a few fights where they came in handy.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I've been playing X lately and it's definitely one of the better FFs for use of status effects. Bio has been super handy against a lot of bosses.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    What the hell is this rufus fight.

NVM I got there. I'm not super thrilled with how I had to set up to do it but ya know, scoreboard.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

NVM I got there. I'm not super thrilled with how I had to set up to do it but ya know, scoreboard.

The FF7R Rufus fight was probably my favorite encounter in the whole game.
    Shooting Railguns with a Shotgun!

• Options

The FF7R Rufus fight was probably my favorite encounter in the whole game.
    Shooting Railguns with a Shotgun!

Once I figured it out it was cooler.
    the 1-2 darkstar into shotgun blast did get real old real quick but the final phase was really tightly choreographed and braver being the trigger to stagger rufus was cool.

I ended up basically reloading into haste, barrier, chakra, deadly dodge, the defensive sword and the all phys def/no materia armlet and playing like it was some kingdom hearts nonsense/spoiler]

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Oh, for the days of Vanish+Doom/X-Zone.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Rufus was the best fight in FF7R. Was hype as hell.

But yeah, if you Braver Rufus during a reload he's auto-staggered. Similarly, Blade Burst puts Darkstar into auto-Pressure.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I thought Rufus was cool, but I didn't like his fight that much. Favorite fight for me would probably be either
    Jenova or Type-0 Behemoth.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I didn't play FF9 yet this weekend. I played Cyberpunk.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What if I told you FF9 was in the cyberpunk genre?

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Yeah the Rufus fight is a real kick in the dick.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Aye I actually beat a vidya game that I started as an adult! It's a rare occurrence.

Now I can go back and read months of thread spoilers.

Am I following an implication of the ending right
    So the whispers are just nonstop correcting the timeline right and they're working overtime because of what sephiroth is up to?

The two ways I can read that is that sephiroth was still bound by that and his powers were only helping him resist the whispers but if he got us to follow through and break the lock on destiny so to speak he can start changing things for real?

Or he'd already broken that hold and for reasons unexplored as of yet wants us to join him. Maybe he wants a living aerith or something with his cloud connection maybe.

Also I'm outraged that biggs lives but jesses thirst for cloud apparently wasn't enough to defy fate!

Also also I am excited by the change in the past timeline. I wonder if we'll play through that new past ever or if we'll just jump to his next appearance in present time.

I gotta say, this game was real good.

Edit: oh god there's so many manuscripts

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    @initiatefailure

It's not confirmed either way but...
    On the Biggs scene, that's Jessies Glove and effects on the side table on the other side.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @initiatefailure

It's not confirmed either way but...
    On the Biggs scene, that's Jessies Glove and effects on the side table on the other side.

Oh interesting. I thought it looked like
    one of the kids had made a tifa glove like how one made a cloud sword and it was just signalling that the orphanage/school had saved him. Would be excited by more jesse. She was my sleeper all-star of the remake
    I may have picked up on that better of I hadn't taken a 6ish month break before blitzing to the end in 3 days

Also a visual cue I really liked was the reminder that look at
    shinra moving forward with their other plans. They're a separate antagonist force in the world still presumably bound by the way things played out before (at least until sephi and crew start changing things dramatically enough to alter those plans). That gives us a lot of room to swap between seeing familiar og events and our own timefuckery moving forward.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Aye I actually beat a vidya game that I started as an adult! It's a rare occurrence.

Now I can go back and read months of thread spoilers.

Am I following an implication of the ending right
    So the whispers are just nonstop correcting the timeline right and they're working overtime because of what sephiroth is up to?

The two ways I can read that is that sephiroth was still bound by that and his powers were only helping him resist the whispers but if he got us to follow through and break the lock on destiny so to speak he can start changing things for real?

Or he'd already broken that hold and for reasons unexplored as of yet wants us to join him. Maybe he wants a living aerith or something with his cloud connection maybe.

Also I'm outraged that biggs lives but jesses thirst for cloud apparently wasn't enough to defy fate!

Also also I am excited by the change in the past timeline. I wonder if we'll play through that new past ever or if we'll just jump to his next appearance in present time.

I gotta say, this game was real good.

Edit: oh god there's so many manuscripts

For the Whispers
    they're aren't constantly correcting everything, there's just certain points where things are supposed to go a certain way and they try to force them to stay on that course. Case in point, Sephiroth could kill the President at the Shin-Ra tower, but not Barrett; thus, the Whispers revive Barrett and not the President. But before that point, Barrett has a pile of minor deviations from "real" history as he makes his way through Hojo's lab, they just don't matter in the big picture. And the only reason they can even be perceived is because Aerith can let people see them, as part of her connection to the Planet.

It's not until the very end that the Whispers stop being able to change things. That's the point of Sephiroth trying to corrupt the power of the Whispers, and then Aerith putting her own Cetra-based spin on the portal Sephiroth made to steal that power. Sephiroth wants control, Aerith tweaks things so that fate will no longer bind everything if they can survive the ensuing fight. Sephiroth also might have been using his power for some limited control of the Whispers earlier, but it wasn't much.

At the point they leave the city, fate is now unraveled and what happens now can go far astray from the original story without the Whispers interfering.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Played through Episode Gladio a couple nights ago. It was fine, but didn't really add anything to the character or narrative.

I've yet to do the score attack, I'm going to have to reconfigure my controls because what I've used in XV proper the entire game just doesn't work for the amount of parrying necessary. Lock on LB and parry LT doesn't work with how I hold controllers; I guess I just rarely parried/blocked in XV, it never stuck out to me until this DLC. Maybe it'll be good for me and I'll do combat more tactically in the main game and not rely on Ragnarok to cheese most things :lol: Probably not, though, even if it weren't so fun to warp around and slam into everything, the bonus AP from warp strike kills is too important. I wish special ability kills granted AP on kills too, or maybe riposte kills?

Until I work out which control scheme works for me, I don't think I can do the post-episode final fight either.

Story, as it were, spoilers for the episode and main XV Chapter 10+:
    Gladio just gets hurt too much, in my eyes, by his behavior in Chapter 10-13. He just becomes a massive dickhole, unjustifiably. I get that he doesn't think Noct is gung-ho enough about his responsibility, but Noct hadn't shirked his responsibility once prior to that point, it wasn't his fault what happened to Luna, he got fucked over by everything in Chapter 9, but he still got up and fought back. The game is clearly trying to imply that there's a level of pain that each Royal Arm imparts, and on top of that, every Astral pact made also is pain. Noct is just taking all of it, and with surprisingly little complaining. He bitches about things related to the ritual and tradition of his role, but he never tries to ignore his responsibility or turn away from it.

I had hoped that maybe something in this episode would justify how shitty Gladio got after Altissia, but it doesn't. It barely justifies why he left in Chapter 7, or why he couldn't have just said what he was doing, or why it needed to be a mystery. And "should have seen the other guy"? Why? Because Cor took his arm? What did Gladio do that was notable? Beat him, great, but he didn't do anything excessive to Gilgamesh. Maybe I should wait and see if anything happens after the final fight you can access from the menu, but I was confused because it was implied during the episode that Cor was Gilgamesh; but...no? He just mysteriously disappeared when Gilgamesh appeared, and then reappeared after he left? K. There wasn't even anything particularly interesting about Cor's story, or his title or anything. He took Gilgamesh's arm, but didn't defeat him, but lived, so now he's ultra badass legend to the country? And how did anyone even know about it? Gladio refused to even talk about it when he left and after he came back, except during the cutscene in the episode, that took place at an indeterminant time. Why couldn't Gladio have just brought everyone along? Cor came, he just didn't participate in the trials.

It didn't make a lot of sense. It would have been nice if it had been included in the game, and could have been integrated better, and maybe explained a bit more; I suspect that's going to be the case with all of the Episodes. I watched all the stuff for them ages ago, but I barely remember Prompto's or Ignis's outside of the alternate ending stuff.

Anyway, yeah, Gladio can eat a bag of dicks. I guess I don't watch enough anime or something; but a really similar thing happened in Star Ocean: TLH, where the main character has something happen where they are absolutely justified in their grief and mourning, and everyone is just like "dude, suck it the fuck up, how dare you be sad, fuck you!", and I hate that shit. Is that a trope? It's bullshit. Same thing in TLH, though, the main character hadn't skirted their duty once, and made hard universe changing choices that were completely on his shoulders, and suddenly they're treated like it's unacceptable to have any adverse reactions, almost as if sadness itself is unacceptable. At least in XV, I guess, the other bro's tell Gladio to knock it off; but then he absolutely doesn't, gets worse, and they just let it fly as he's constantly being a fat dick to Noct because of something that was absolutely in no way his fault.

And in context of Gladio, his turn in attitude toward Noct isn't set up at all, outside of him inexplicably freaking the fuck out on your way to Titan in Chapter 4. I get that his whole thing is responsibility, I've seen Brotherhood. But even then, the extremes of his behavior aren't justified at all in the game.

That was ranty. Sorry.

Hopefully the other Episodes have more interesting gameplay for the characters. Gladio felt like Noct, just without Warp Strike. I wish dodge and parry/guard weren't the same button, maybe that's why it feels so clumsy in XV; if you're locked on you can't dodge, and that's counterintuitive to me.

EDIT: Unrelated, catching Tuna is mind numbingly boring and easy, but just takes forever. It's a bummer the recipe behind it is so useful, because actually getting the fish is dumb. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I can barely remember anything about Episode Gladio.

The Promto and Ignis episodes are both good.