The [Final Fantasy] 7 R E M A K E has arrived. Rejoice!

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
edited April 10 in Games and Technology


Ta da! Behold, a glimpse of the FF7 remake! Someday it might come out. PS5 era, maybe PS6. More details in June, maybe? Or whispers of FF16 ever existing? APRIL 10TH, 2020!

*Postin' this, edits to come later*

Spoiler-filled Final Trailer:


This is the thread for talking about Square Enix's flagship series, Final Fantasy, originally released in 1987. For a while they decided they didn't like releasing new games, and kept porting old games to new platforms, Something wonderful has happened, and Square Enix released a new mainline Final Fantasy (well kind of).

*under construction, pardon our appearance*

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

MAIN SERIES

They've made fifteen main series games and over fifty spin off titles. Here's what the fans says about them.
I love Final Fantasy because you have to start somewhere.
I love Final Fantasy II because I like hitting myself for stat ups.
I love Final Fantasy III because it allowed me to stop being a hippy and get a job for the first time.
I love Final Fantasy IV because I don't have enough versions of it yet.
I love Final Fantasy V because I can play it for charity.
I hate Final Fantasy VI because I'm a soulless monster without any redeeming qualities.
I love Final Fantasy VII because it's getting remade, naturally.
I love Final Fantasy VIII because I'm a Triple Triad cardshark. There was a fun minigame about saving the world included too.
I love Final Fantasy IX because "Steiner, please, look behind you!"
I love Final Fantasy X because blitzball is rad.
I love Final Fantasy XI because it kept Square Enix in business.
I love Final Fantasy XII because I can finally play the IZJS!.
I love Final Fantasy XIII because I can't get enough Lightning.
I love Final Fantasy XIV because Stormblood is great!
I love Final Fantasy XV because it continues to exist. SQEX thanks you for beta testing the game for them.

SPIN OFFS

Every time profits are down SE makes some more FF games. There are a lot of them, too many to list them all so I'll just continue the theme with the more popular ones.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics because I love grid based movement.
I hate Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles because I have no friends.
I hate Final Fantasy Mystic Quest because it's too easy and I don't like having fun.
I love Final Fantasy X-2 because it really is the ultimate expression of both ATB and the Job system. Also I understand math so Sphere Breaker ain't shit.
I love Dissidia because it's included in its entirety in its sequel.
I love FF XIII-2 because monsters are great at parties.
I love Crisis Core because Zack is an unbeatable hero.
I love Theatrhythm because Square Enix has the best music.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance because just one more turn.
I love Dissidia Duodecim 012 Final Fantasy because you can settle which Final Fantasy is best for all time with your fists.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 because more of the same is exactly what you need when the same is fantastic.
I love Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns because it was either this or no new games at all.
I love Final Fantasy Dimensions because I love Final Fantasy V.
I hate Final Fantasy Record Keeper because it became a monster unto itself.
I love Final Fantasy Explorers because Monster Hunter is a good game, right?
I love World of Final Fantasy because I can stack pocket sized Final Fantasy monsters on my head to do battle!
I love Dissidia NT because I can finally fight my friends online with my favorite FF character!
I love DFF Opera Omnia because it's a bite sized Final Fantasy with bite sized characters!

WHICH VERSION IS BEST?

There's a version of almost everything for almost everything these days. However, avoid the PSX version of FF5 unless it's your only option.

THE PRESENT

The present is the FF7 Remake release! *under construction, pardon our appearance*

THE FUTURE

FF16: Presumably eventually? No known info yet.

Final Fantasy's current MMO, Final Fantasy XIV

While it's totally kosher to talk about FF11 and FF14 here, keep in mind there is a dedicated FF14 MMO-specific thread.

Final Fantasy Mobile offerings

Final Fantasy Record Keeper's popularity grew so much that it dominated most of the discussion in the thread. As such it (and all mobile F2P Final Fantasy games) have been given their own threads.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.

Mobius Final Fantasy. RIP

Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia.

KINGDOM HEARTS

Is vaguely related to Final Fantasy, but has its own thread here.

BRAVELY DEFAULT

Is everything you might want in a Final Fantasy, and you can talk about it here.

FF5 FOUR JOB FIESTA
Do you have what it takes to play what is quite simply the most fun and addicting alternate game mode of any RPG ever? Do you want to help out sick children by raising money for the greatest charity in the world? Do you want to watch RK sleepily make his way through Neo-Exdeath with quite a sub standard party? If this sounds even remotely interesting well then, do I have a website for you.

The deal is you get four jobs from the normal set of 20+ and you can only use skills from those four. As you gain new job sets one job is randomly assigned to you and each assigned job must be equipped at all times on at least one party member. You get the wind job, you get four of those, you get the water job, your party must be made up at least one from your water job and one from your wind job and so on. There are variations

http://fourjobfiesta.com/

What do you need to start playing?

1. A copy of FF5. PSN version is cheapest and worst. SFC version is pretty cheap but in Japanese, GBA version is best but expensive, iOS version is a lot cheaper than that but has the issues standard with playing a game on iOS (easy screencaps though!)

2. A twitter account. Yeah I hate twitter too but I made some dummy accounts just for this.

3.Then all you do is sign up at the website (with any of the optional run ideas) and you can play from whenever RK beats the game until the end of August!

Where does the charity come in you say? Well, you can either pledge money to change whatever jobs RK is assigned for his inaugural run (1 dollar=1 extra vote for a job!) or you can pledge money for doing various deeds. If you can't donate money you'll notice that you can still earn money from other people's pledges by completing their goals (usually beating the game with a certain class, beating the two optional bosses,etc.) It's just like getting sponsors for a 10k back in school! You play, everyone wins.

Credit to @xenogears of bore for cannibalizing most of his OPs.

V wrote:
Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

silence1186 on
H3KnucklesKoopahTroopahZilla360PailryderAndy Joe
«13456753

Posts

  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Mmmm. New thread smell just before the FF7R release. Good luck editing the OP.

    // Steam: VWinds // LoL: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    KoopahTroopah
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Did it ever come out why 7R got delayed? Seems like it was too short a time to be anything major.

    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    Alphagaia
  • metaghostmetaghost Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    Did it ever come out why 7R got delayed? Seems like it was too short a time to be anything major.

    I can't remember the most recent previous possible release dates, but the past 8 months or so have been rife with the big (and little) publishers playing footsie with their releases, trying to identify the prime time to hit the market while avoiding other big titles. However, I feel like they had been pretty explicit that it was mostly a matter of getting localization finalized for simultaneous worldwide release, which may mean it was largely about translating documentation and prepping promotional content?

    Bandcamp (I make weird rap music) / PSN: Mugen_Kikaider
    Trajan45
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    OP a bit out of date. Talking about 2018 like the future :P

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Stabbity Stylevagrant_windsKoopahTroopahFencingsaxAbsoluteZeroZilla360Andy Joe
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    OP a bit out of date. Talking about 2018 like the future :P

    Plus, now Shadowbringers is the reason to play FFXIV, not Stormblood :P

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    vagrant_windsNightslyrIlpalaFencingsaxAndy Joe
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    A reminder to give Dimensions a shot. It’s a nice job-system game, for being on mobile phones, and has a free intro chapter.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    ShadowfireOneAngryPossumkimeH3KnucklesAndy Joe
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    OP a bit out of date. Talking about 2018 like the future :P

    Plus, now Shadowbringers is the reason to play FFXIV, not Stormblood :P

    See the very honest title of the current thread.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    NightslyrStabbity StyleKoopahTroopah
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    A reminder to give Dimensions a shot. It’s a nice job-system game, for being on mobile phones, and has a free intro chapter.

    I bought Dimensions 2 a while back but never played it. Is it good as well?

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    No idea; I haven’t played that one.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    kimeH3Knuckles
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 7
    Some FF7R end story spoiler-related thoughts on subsequent FF7 games and names
    I strongly suspect they are going to wildly diverge from FF7's main plot in the next games. We will still visit familiar locations and characters but the order that happens in and the story tying it together could be very different. We could also end up very railroaded and lacking free movement in the world if they want to use FF7R's design as the template.

    As such we are probably looking at some "clever" subtitles going forward like, re-build, re-coded, re-imagined, re-vision, re-boot, etc. And that's why this isn't titled "part 1" because the follow ups will not be "part 2" and will be setting very different expectations. This first entry will be the only one semi-faithful to the original story. This would also explain why FF7R is one of very few remakes tacky enough to officially title themselves a remake, to help draw contrast with later entries.

    Maybe this is obvious and someone mentioned in the previous thread but I don't see it here and had to get this idea out of my head.

    rahkeesh2000 on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Some FF7R end story spoiler-related thoughts on subsequent FF7 games and names
    I strongly suspect they are going to wildly diverge from FF7's main plot in the next games. We will still visit familiar locations and characters but the order that happens in and the story tying it together could be very different. We could also end up very railroaded and lacking free movement in the world if they want to use FF7R's design as the template.

    As such we are probably looking at some "clever" subtitles going forward like, re-build, re-coded, re-imagined, re-vision, re-boot, etc. And that's why this isn't titled "part 1" because the follow ups will not be "part 2" and will be setting very different expectations. This first entry will be the only one semi-faithful to the original story. This would also explain why FF7R is one of very few remakes tacky enough to officially title themselves a remake, to help draw contrast with later entries.

    Maybe this is obvious and someone mentioned in the previous thread but I don't see it here and had to get this idea out of my head.
    "Railroading" would be a technically straightforward and manageable solution to the open world aspect of the original game. You'll just logically proceed onto the next zone, by truck, train, airship or some other Shinra-manufactured transportation, with the option to travel back.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
    H3Knuckles
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    Ah, man. Can't wait for the weekend.

    Stabbity Style
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    OP a bit out of date. Talking about 2018 like the future :P

    Plus, now Shadowbringers is the reason to play FFXIV, not Stormblood :P

    Shadowbringers is the best Final Fantasy content of the last 10-15 years. It somehow manages to tell a pretty intense, personal story despite the fact that the player character is a (mostly) silent protagonist.

    PSN/XBL/Nintendo/Origin/Steam: Nightslyr 3DS: 1607-1682-2948
    Switch: SW-3515-0057-3813 FF XIV: Q'vehn Tia
    Stabbity StyleH3KnucklesDonnicton
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    And because I can't help myself, FF7R spoiler speculation on also FF7O spoilers.
    The timing of Aerith's death may end up having been really key in stopping Meteor (and maybe in activating the Weapons?). She was the only one remaining that could activate Holy, and managed to do so, at the one site she could do so, just before getting offed. Had Sephiroth taken her out earlier, Gaia would be left without any hope. Which begs the question how FF7R Sephiroth would treat her differently, seeing her as a major threat and trying to kill her much earlier or at least confiscate the Holy materia.

    Another way to see it is that Aerith could only truly activate Holy from death. This is based on Cloud's proclamation that Sephiroth was holding her and Holy materia back from doing their job, hence killing Sephiroth allows Meteor to be destroyed. Maybe she only had the planet's resources at her call because of being merged with the lifestream. Hell Sephiroth was semi-merged with the lifestream when he summoned Meteor, maybe that was necessary for using the black materia too. If this is true, then FF7R Sephiroth might conclude that killing Aerith was *a mistake*, and that *letting her live*, especially in captivity or else distracted with the party chasing down less relevant threats, might ensure his victory this time around.

    Either way you look at it, FF7R Sephiroth should know just how key Aerith's death was in how events turned out the first time, and its hard to see how he wouldn't try to dramatically change that event one way or another the second time around. And nothing would signal further how far this series is diverging from the original than in changing that event.

    wobblyheadedbobEnlongXerinkZilla360Fleur de Alys
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    Did it ever come out why 7R got delayed? Seems like it was too short a time to be anything major.
    My personal theory (which I doubt would ever get confirmed if it were true) is they found a serious bug. Not the sort of thing that gets fixed in a day one patch, but something that bricks the console if it trips. Something they didn't want to get played from the disc version on offline consoles.

    (And things like that have happened in the past. I remember a story (I think it was one of the ones in The Trenches) where QA found a bug in a racing game that could brick the console, and was reproducible in a third of the tracks. With no time to fix it before they went gold and finding themselves in serious legal liability if they let it go out with the bug on it, they cut the tracks from the game)

    A relatively simple bug fix plus restarting the game disc production feels like it'd fit the timeline.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    And because I can't help myself, FF7R spoiler speculation on also FF7O spoilers.
    The timing of Aerith's death may end up having been really key in stopping Meteor (and maybe in activating the Weapons?). She was the only one remaining that could activate Holy, and managed to do so, at the one site she could do so, just before getting offed. Had Sephiroth taken her out earlier, Gaia would be left without any hope. Which begs the question how FF7R Sephiroth would treat her differently, seeing her as a major threat and trying to kill her much earlier or at least confiscate the Holy materia.

    Another way to see it is that Aerith could only truly activate Holy from death. This is based on Cloud's proclamation that Sephiroth was holding her and Holy materia back from doing their job, hence killing Sephiroth allows Meteor to be destroyed. Maybe she only had the planet's resources at her call because of being merged with the lifestream. Hell Sephiroth was semi-merged with the lifestream when he summoned Meteor, maybe that was necessary for using the black materia too. If this is true, then FF7R Sephiroth might conclude that killing Aerith was *a mistake*, and that *letting her live*, especially in captivity or else distracted with the party chasing down less relevant threats, might ensure his victory this time around.

    Either way you look at it, FF7R Sephiroth should know just how key Aerith's death was in how events turned out the first time, and its hard to see how he wouldn't try to dramatically change that event one way or another the second time around. And nothing would signal further how far this series is diverging from the original than in changing that event.
    What if, in order to change things in his favor, Sephiroth shows Cloud what Aerith’s fate will be if events unfold like they first did (divorcing it of context, of course), and asks Cloud to help him stop that from happening? Thereby allow him space to use Meteor unopposed later.

    Bonus points if he says something like “do you want her to be just a memory?”

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    rahkeesh2000
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    And because I can't help myself, FF7R spoiler speculation on also FF7O spoilers.
    The timing of Aerith's death may end up having been really key in stopping Meteor (and maybe in activating the Weapons?). She was the only one remaining that could activate Holy, and managed to do so, at the one site she could do so, just before getting offed. Had Sephiroth taken her out earlier, Gaia would be left without any hope. Which begs the question how FF7R Sephiroth would treat her differently, seeing her as a major threat and trying to kill her much earlier or at least confiscate the Holy materia.

    Another way to see it is that Aerith could only truly activate Holy from death. This is based on Cloud's proclamation that Sephiroth was holding her and Holy materia back from doing their job, hence killing Sephiroth allows Meteor to be destroyed. Maybe she only had the planet's resources at her call because of being merged with the lifestream. Hell Sephiroth was semi-merged with the lifestream when he summoned Meteor, maybe that was necessary for using the black materia too. If this is true, then FF7R Sephiroth might conclude that killing Aerith was *a mistake*, and that *letting her live*, especially in captivity or else distracted with the party chasing down less relevant threats, might ensure his victory this time around.

    Either way you look at it, FF7R Sephiroth should know just how key Aerith's death was in how events turned out the first time, and its hard to see how he wouldn't try to dramatically change that event one way or another the second time around. And nothing would signal further how far this series is diverging from the original than in changing that event.

    That's interesting...
    Considering the Grand Sephiroth Plan, that Shinra and the military drafted up after failing to destroy Meteor, went into effect. Or rather, the half (or potentially two-thirds) that was actually implemented. Remembering that Rufus and the rest of the Shinra were operating on very limited information (thanks to Hojo among others), the Grand Sephiroth Plan that you learn about in the original game consisted of 1) Lowering the barrier around the Northern Crater with the Sister Ray (and possibly destroying the remaining WEAPONs) and 2) A massive ground invasion by the whole of the military (including what was left of SOLDIER) to kill Sephiroth.

    The first part was actually a massive success (and it let AVALANCHE directly confront Sephiroth). The second part never happened because of a decapitation strike that "killed" Rufus Shinra, and left the military in the hands of Heidegger and Scarlet, who besides being less competent, were killed in a petty attempt to destroy AVALANCHE. Presumably, all of that will play out the same way, but otherwise, Rufus might revise the plan as an attempt to very ironically kidnap/rescue Aerith again after bringing down the barrier.

    If, for example, the writers wanted to shift responsibility for Aerith's death to Rufus or someone else at Shinra (kind of awkward given Rufus's pretty one-track mind on eliminating Sephiroth, but he did order AVALANCHE executed at Junon for terrorism/to counter the panic), that would be their opportunity. In subsequent materials, Rufus is consistently portrayed as both a master manipulator (to the point where he helped AVALANCHE as part of a coup against his father, something only the company was aware of) and only concerned with the big-picture, so there are some ways you could go with that.

    Pure speculation, but it's fun nonetheless.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    HYPE HAS REACHED CRITICAL MASS, FAM

    C R I T I C A L
    M A S S

    rahkeesh2000KoopahTroopahZilla360vagrant_windsnever die
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

    Twitch: KoopahTroopah - Steam: Koopah
    Switch: KoopahTroopah - PSN: Koopah089
    silence1186
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited April 7
    So I finished my first playthrough of FFVIIR.
    Loved it!
    took me around 50 hours to complete. playing completionist.
    still got the stuff that opens up once you finish it to do.

    some things I wish I had known at the start (or had paid more attention to if there was a tutorial)
    mostly light gameplay spoilers, will make it obvious if a nested spoiler is quest related.
    UI and basic game play stuff
    L2 will cycle your navigation helper - OFF / Compass with objective markers / Minimap.
    at some point I turned it to off by accident without realising and played for hours without direction other than the main map.

    When out of combat, you can hold down L1 while selecting a target for your heal spells to multicast, very handy for keeping the party health topped up.

    Stagger gauge is vital, especially for some bosses. has 3 states.... normal / pressured / stagger
    while you can skip straight from normal to stagger, Pay attention to your weapon abilities that "pressure" enemies, a pressured enemy is much easier to stagger.

    You can set quick actions to L1 + one of the face buttons. this lets you use your most often used abilities/spells without having to dip into a menu. (this is essential for playing Tifa without having to go into slow-mo every few seconds)
    The Battle Settings option in the Menu is where you go to set this up.

    Materia
    *QUEST SPOILERS*
    There is a quest to MAX the level of every type of Magic (Green) Materia.
    This is not too bad and you will mostly get this one done naturally.
    that said, Raise takes 5000 AP to MAX so you want to have it always equipped otherwise you will have to grind or do post game stuff for that one.

    at some point you can solve certain sidequests by having various materia leveled up. the level changing the outcome.
    those materia are....
    Assess - not the level of this one but the number of enemies scanned.
    Cleanse
    and an Elemental (fire/lightning/etc.) of your choice

    Party Member gameplay.
    Barret
    After holding square for a few seconds barret will normally need to do a reload animation before he can fire his basic again. you can override this basic reload with Charge (Triangle while Overpower is on cooldown) if you time it just as he starts to go into the animation for the reload (getting you both reload and charge at the same time.)

    Tifa
    Tifa's default ability Unbridled Strength has 2 levels of charge, her hands glow Yellow/Red to let you know which one you are currently in.

    Her Overpower ability is good for putting an enemy into pressure state for easy stagger building.

    once an enemy is staggered, mash TRIANGLE with Tifa. it is one of the few ways in the game to raise the Stagger beyond 160%

    imo because of her speed Tifa makes a fantastic healer, she can quickly build up the 2 ATB charges to use the Prayer Materia when you need it.

    Aerith
    Aeriths basic attack is AOE.
    Ward can be used by any party member once it is on the ground, just have that character stand within it to get the benefit.



    Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    Zilla360GroveNitsuaStabbity StyleFleur de Alysvagrant_windsH3Knucklesitalianranma
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    god not clicking on these spoilers is p a i n f u l

    UPS facility in Illinois, hurry up and send me my game!

    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    Stabbity StyleJavenKoopahTroopah
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Well..decided to go digital for now. Might pick up a physical eventually, but I got it downloaded and ready to go.

    Man am I excite!

    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    fool.IO
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Jack of all interests... ...master of noneRegistered User regular
    edited April 8
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    A reminder to give Dimensions a shot. It’s a nice job-system game, for being on mobile phones, and has a free intro chapter.

    I bought Dimensions 2 a while back but never played it. Is it good as well?

    I haven't played Dimensions 2 yet, but it looked like it was quite a different game?

    Dimensions 1 is like a mash-up of the episodic scenario in FF4 The After Years (where you are switching between different parties until they all join up at the end) with FF5's job system.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Jack of all interests... ...master of noneRegistered User regular
    edited April 8
    And because I can't help myself, FF7R spoiler speculation on also FF7O spoilers.
    The timing of Aerith's death may end up having been really key in stopping Meteor (and maybe in activating the Weapons?). She was the only one remaining that could activate Holy, and managed to do so, at the one site she could do so, just before getting offed. Had Sephiroth taken her out earlier, Gaia would be left without any hope. Which begs the question how FF7R Sephiroth would treat her differently, seeing her as a major threat and trying to kill her much earlier or at least confiscate the Holy materia.

    Another way to see it is that Aerith could only truly activate Holy from death. This is based on Cloud's proclamation that Sephiroth was holding her and Holy materia back from doing their job, hence killing Sephiroth allows Meteor to be destroyed. Maybe she only had the planet's resources at her call because of being merged with the lifestream. Hell Sephiroth was semi-merged with the lifestream when he summoned Meteor, maybe that was necessary for using the black materia too. If this is true, then FF7R Sephiroth might conclude that killing Aerith was *a mistake*, and that *letting her live*, especially in captivity or else distracted with the party chasing down less relevant threats, might ensure his victory this time around.

    Either way you look at it, FF7R Sephiroth should know just how key Aerith's death was in how events turned out the first time, and its hard to see how he wouldn't try to dramatically change that event one way or another the second time around. And nothing would signal further how far this series is diverging from the original than in changing that event.

    Are we really worried about spoiling a game that's 23 years old? My post isn't about the remake, but just in case:
    I always kind of saw Aerith as being like Obi-Wan Kenobi. Striking her down made her more powerful than Sephiroth could possibly imagine. Besides, she was still into Zack all along, Cloud was just a curiosity and potential lead on finding out what happened. Her and Mr. Fair are probably enjoying the afterlife together.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    If you're talking about spoilers in relation to the remake, yes you should use spoiler tags. Which, you know, that post was as it said it was

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    vagrant_windsGroveKoopahTroopahKanafool.IOBurnage
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Trimmed the cruft and out of date stuff. Gotta do research now.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    Fleur de Alysvagrant_winds
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    @H3Knuckles , I feel you on the spoiler tags for such an old game, but there are tons of people that have never played it. Also, there have been changes to the FF7R plot from the original (and I'll just leave it at that, lol) that will be surprises to veterans, too.

    kimefool.IO
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles Jack of all interests... ...master of noneRegistered User regular
    edited April 8
    milk ducks wrote: »
    @H3Knuckles , I feel you on the spoiler tags for such an old game, but there are tons of people that have never played it. Also, there have been changes to the FF7R plot from the original (and I'll just leave it at that, lol) that will be surprises to veterans, too.

    ^I've read the spoilers in this and the last thread about FF7R, I just didn't feel like rahkeesh's speculation revealed anything about Remake beyond the basic notion that seems to be common knowledge now? I mean, just in the last few pages of the last thread, people were talking around it, sure, but it seemed pretty easy to read between the lines.

    I'm sorry if what I said offended anyone, I didn't think there was anything confrontational about it. But judging by the responses I feel like I screwed up.

    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Re my most recent spoilers.
    I think we can wait till at least, I don't know, two days after official release before deciding that the huge endgame twist in the new game is common knowledge? I realized Square was basically spoilering it in their latest trailer but that scene is too out-of-context to convey the kind of certainty you get from playing the game. And even if 90% of this thread is clicking on spoilers we have to mind the remaining 10% who even just posted here about how they are waiting on playing the game to click spoilers.

    Yes everyone should know that Aerith fucking dies in the original by now, but I think it's too soon to tip that there's solid basis for remake parts 2+ might not even be remakes, and that the villain is likely to change history precisely because it is history to him. None of that is what I or many other expected at all before the FF7R in-story revelations, I mean people were asking how the violence of the Aerith scene would be handled in HD and the answer could now easily be that it won't.

    kime
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »
    @H3Knuckles , I feel you on the spoiler tags for such an old game, but there are tons of people that have never played it. Also, there have been changes to the FF7R plot from the original (and I'll just leave it at that, lol) that will be surprises to veterans, too.

    ^I've read the spoilers in this and the last thread about FF7R, I just didn't feel like rahkeesh's speculation revealed anything about Remake beyond the basic notion that seems to be common knowledge now? I mean, just in the last few pages of the last thread, people were talking around it, sure, but it seemed pretty easy to read between the lines.

    I'm sorry if what I said offended anyone, I didn't think there was anything confrontational about it. But judging by the responses I feel like I screwed up.

    Not offended, I just disagreed with what you said. I re-read the spoiler before responding, and felt that it super contained Remake-exclusive spoilers. I feel like the thread has in general done a good job of keeping that stuff behind spoilers and that it's not common knowledge.

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    H3KnucklesGrove
  • temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    Pre-ordered this last year when it was $40 on amazon, just realized it was going to be shipped to my work address which I don't have access to due to Covid shutting everything down, since I had to change the address I won't be getting it until Tuesday now which is a bummer.

    On spoilers, while I've beaten the original when it first came out, I'm basically going into the remake dark. I've heard there are enough changes that in my opinion, spoiler tags should definitely be used.

    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
    wobblyheadedbobmilk ducksBluecyanZeroCowNitsuaDark Raven XKoopahTroopah
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »
    @H3Knuckles , I feel you on the spoiler tags for such an old game, but there are tons of people that have never played it. Also, there have been changes to the FF7R plot from the original (and I'll just leave it at that, lol) that will be surprises to veterans, too.

    ^I've read the spoilers in this and the last thread about FF7R, I just didn't feel like rahkeesh's speculation revealed anything about Remake beyond the basic notion that seems to be common knowledge now? I mean, just in the last few pages of the last thread, people were talking around it, sure, but it seemed pretty easy to read between the lines.

    I'm sorry if what I said offended anyone, I didn't think there was anything confrontational about it. But judging by the responses I feel like I screwed up.

    Not offended, I just disagreed with what you said. I re-read the spoiler before responding, and felt that it super contained Remake-exclusive spoilers. I feel like the thread has in general done a good job of keeping that stuff behind spoilers and that it's not common knowledge.

    Yeah, I would say that anything regarding the Remake should absolutely go in spoilers, and even material regarding the original should probably go in spoilers. The Remake has enough new stuff going on that people deserve to get the chance to experience it fresh, and the original has some things that are entirely likely to get into the Remake and people should now get the chance to experience those things fresh as well.

    As it is, the internet is full of assholes who will intentionally try to fuck up other people's experiences without accidentally adding to that ourselves.

    temperature!kime
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm trying so hard to keep myself on blackout for this until I start playing at midnight tomorrow night (not helped by a friend apparently getting his copy yesterday, so I've got him on mute for two days), but I would like to ask for a gameplay spoiler:
    Do you ever go beyond two ATB bars? I'm wondering if it's like FFXIII where you end up with five or six bars.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    I just realized this was out Friday... 85GB preload started... hopefully will be done by Friday :|

    Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    Hex TCG: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm trying so hard to keep myself on blackout for this until I start playing at midnight tomorrow night (not helped by a friend apparently getting his copy yesterday, so I've got him on mute for two days), but I would like to ask for a gameplay spoiler:
    Do you ever go beyond two ATB bars? I'm wondering if it's like FFXIII where you end up with five or six bars.
    Yes.... but not really like you are thinking.
    there is a Materia that gives you an extra limit break on top of your set one, using it changes that characters ATB bar to 3 segments for the remainder of the current battle/until they get knocked out.
    as each ATB segment is now 33% of the total instead of 50%, they fill much quicker allowing you to use your abilities/spells much more often.

    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    H3Knuckles
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited April 8


    *Me thinking about how even more absurd Tifa's lack of muscle definition is in hi def.*



    Dragkonias on
    AistankimeKoopahTroopahFleur de Alys
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »


    *Me thinking about how even more absurd Tifa's lack of muscle definition is in hi def.*



    Are they upset that Tifa is slender, or upset at people upset that Tifa is slender?

    (I'm really not good at Twitter.)

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
    H3KnucklesKanaGnome-InterruptusAbsoluteZero
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »


    *Me thinking about how even more absurd Tifa's lack of muscle definition is in hi def.*



    Are they upset that Tifa is slender, or upset at people upset that Tifa is slender?

    (I'm really not good at Twitter.)

    I had assumed the former. I also do not Twitter and generally avoid most of the Internet.

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    TicaldfjamAbsoluteZero
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »


    *Me thinking about how even more absurd Tifa's lack of muscle definition is in hi def.*



    Are they upset that Tifa is slender, or upset at people upset that Tifa is slender?

    (I'm really not good at Twitter.)

    Might be but it's such a common occurrence in media who knows.

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    the tweet is calling out people who are all for physically strong female characters up until that involves them having any muscle definition and not looking like thin supermodels
    essentially mocking a paper-thin false feminism based on how sexually attractive you find the character that says "women can be strong, and that's beautiful, unless you're not fitting into the usual standard of female beauty, in which case ew gross"

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    kimeDarth_MogsSyphonBlueZonugalnever dieNightslyrvagrant_windsH3KnucklesFencingsaxKoopahTroopahfool.IOBlackDragon480Andy JoeAbsoluteZeroFleur de AlysWeedLordVegeta
Sign In or Register to comment.