[PbP] D&D 5E: The Hound of Cabell Manor (Game's done!)

DenadaDenada Registered User regular
edited April 22 in Critical Failures
7y102t5nhd28.jpg
A short adventure for four 3rd level characters.

The Guild of Explorers has many adventuring groups in its employ, offering a wide range of services to the hamlets, villages, towns, and cities that have taken root on the edge of proper society. The Cabell family has enlisted the services of the Guild, which has sent the four of you to the rustic village of Beechburton. There you will take the lonely road to Cabell Manor, meet with the Cabell family, and help them in their hour of need.




It's been a looooong while since I've run a play-by-post game here, but given the current state of the world this seems like a good time to give it another go. This is a short adventure for four level 3 PCs, meaning I don't expect this to last more than maybe a month, if that. If you're interested in playing, read on.

How to Apply
Create a level 3 character on D&D Beyond and post the link along with a brief description of your character. I don't own any D&D Beyond content so I'm not bothering to set up a campaign for this. Just create your character using whatever you have access to. Use whatever official content you'd like, including UA stuff. Note that this is a short adventure that won't be expanded into a longer campaign, so there's no need to go crazy with the backstory. Knock yourself out if that's what you're into, but I'm not asking for much and there's no extra credit. I'll give this a few days, maybe until Friday, and then pick a party (assuming there's enough interest).

Rules and Restrictions
  • Use the standard array for attributes (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)
  • No feats.
  • No Variant Humans.
  • Instead of rolling for your HP, just give yourself the maximum possible result (ie don't roll 1d10, just give yourself 10).
  • You all start with Inspiration.
  • No loner characters, brooding characters, or assholes. You are a team that gets along well and respects each other.
  • Whatever starting loot/money you get from character creation is what you get. I'll roll a treasure parcel or two and dole out additional loot once the party is chosen.

How I Want to Run Things
  • Once the game is started, post your OOC (out of character) text in spoilers. Not because of secrets, but just so that the IC (in character) stuff is easier to see.
  • You will use the built-in dice roller for rolls, assuming it still works. I will not be using it, because I'm the DM and I'm a special boy.
  • I should be able to post pretty frequently as I can't exactly go anywhere, but I'm still working from home so there may be delays now and again. I expect a similar level of involvement from the party.

Denada on
webguy20
«1345

Posts

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Me! Me! Me!

    (Please.)

    Karozwebguy20Nealneal
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 8

    I'd like to be in.
    Will send a character once I get off of work. I'm working from home myself, so I should be able to post fairly regularly.

    Mori - Warforged Grave Cleric, watched the graveyard he was built to guard be destroyed while he was in an inactive state, later joined an order of wandering clerics who believe it's their duty to sanctify defiled and forgotten graveyards far from civilization.

    https://ddb.ac/characters/26350946/ssMSFt

    Hack job photoshoppery...
    pqmt35dio7cv.jpg

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    NealnealKarozwebguy20SteelhawkMrVyngaard
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    It would be neat to try this out and hopefully the changes in studies won't hinder my ability to participate.

    Put me as a tentative yes for joining, but if the slots fill up I'll be happy to just watch from the sidelines.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited April 7
    Laen Brightwater is a brave, if a bit grumpy, human mercenary. He has a tendency to put himself in bad situations because he has a soft spot for the downtrodden and common folk like himself. He grew up a cobbler’s son, but when a small band of goblins attacked his town, he fought them in the center of town alone.

    https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Araqir/characters/26348916

    Nealneal on
    Karozwebguy20Steelhawk
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I would like to be in if there is still space. I’ve never really done play by post before and this seems like a good opportunity. I’ll post a character tonight.

    Quire.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm totally down for this as well. Work from home will actually let me pay attention to a pbp.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    For your consideration:

    3c3554a9251cdb7d90288ac4b82631b5.jpg

    https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Steelhawk691/characters/22140006

    Rutherford King grew up a street rat on the wharf, the son of a common prostitute who didn't even bother to name him. Stowing away on the first ship he could, The Penniless Monarch, the young boy spent the next decade learning the ways of the world at the hands of a gang of surprisingly pleasant merchant-sailors. The decade after that however, he was taken as part of a prize as the pirates of the Vengeful Maiden took a shine to the glib and persuasive young man. Now entering his his 30's, the self named Rutherford King survived the sinking of the Maiden and made his way back to dry land, whereupon he sweet talked his way into the Guild, and the profitable and exciting life of the Adventuring Rogue! Handsome, charming and gregarious, he can also be downright terrifying when he wants to be. To Rutherford, his words are just as sharp a weapon as his blades are!

    Steelhawk on
    Karozwebguy20
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    @Denada

    Safe to assume a level 3 character wouldn't have plate?

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    For your consideration, Balgrom ColdIron. Last of his clan, outlander and the secrets bearer of the Armorer. I haven't figured out his spells and infusions yet, but this is the quick and dirty.

    https://ddb.ac/characters/26362334/c7HYBJ

    thc0ck8ial0m.jpg

    webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    KarozSteelhawk
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    @Denada

    Safe to assume a level 3 character wouldn't have plate?

    Yes that's a safe assumption. You might end up getting it in a lucky loot roll but to start, no you wouldn't have it.

  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Well looks like the spots are filled but I had fun making a character:

    4h3jjzx15sps.jpg

    Source


    Meet Greba Knas.

    Greba is a half-orc ranger who has found a second home within the Guild. While use to the mountainous regions of her birth, the Guild has provided access to new and exciting experiences with company that doesn't immediately gawk at her teeth--a mistake few have made uninjured. In some ways, coming out of the wilds has made Greba a bit softer with cooked food and a mug of ale bringing her raucous delight, but the contracts posted by the Guild give her new opportunities to hone her edge.

    Steelhawkwebguy20
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Hobs

    Hobs was born to hold the sword and his sword was made to fit his hand. He is a Hobgoblin Samurai who fought many battles across the badlands of Goblin territory and gained a great amount of honor to his name. Then his sword was broken and his name taken. When he was given an unethical command he was forced to choose between his internal honor and his external honor. He was ordered to do something that would guarantee victory but would mean the death of the goblins under his command. He choose to save his men and while they still achieved victory he was exiled as a nameless for his disobedience.

    The next years were a torrent of self-destruction. The nameless Hobgoblin travelled to the human lands and threw himself into mercenary work while drinking and abusing himself in-between. At his lowest point he was recruited into the guild. Companionship and purpose now lift him up. For the first time Hobs sees a life past what he’s lost in a new search for glory and unwavering support for the friends who led him out of the gutter.

    Quire.jpg
    KarozSteelhawk
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Well looks like the spots are filled but I had fun making a character:

    4h3jjzx15sps.jpg

    Source


    Meet Greba Knas.

    Greba is a half-orc ranger who has found a second home within the Guild. While use to the mountainous regions of her birth, the Guild has provided access to new and exciting experiences with company that doesn't immediately gawk at her teeth--a mistake few have made uninjured. In some ways, coming out of the wilds has made Greba a bit softer with cooked food and a mug of ale bringing her raucous delight, but the contracts posted by the Guild give her new opportunities to hone her edge.

    I would hope Denada picks from the total pool of available characters and not just who were lucky enough to get in first!

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yup, I'll wait until probably Thursday night or Friday morning, then pick a party from the whole pool. It's not first-come-first-serve. I like what I've seen so far!

  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Unfortunately my schedule is still somewhat in flux so Greba may need to just sit this one out. She was fun to make and probably flesh her out more or use her as an npc or something if I feel like getting creative.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    @see317, @Nealneal, @Steelhawk, and @webguy20, welcome to the party!

    Your team's past missions have earned you 1000gp (250 each), a Cloak of Elvenkind, and two (2) Potions of Healing. Webguy20, Balgrom can start with chain mail, and you can buy your way up from there using your funds if you can afford it.

    I'll post the start of the game in a little bit.

    Denada on
    see317SteelhawkKarozElvenshaewebguy20
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    @Denada

    Arrgh. I can't play till Tuesday. My net died at home. Feel free to pick someone else.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Ah, bummer! Sorry to hear that webguy, hope you get back online sooner rather than later.

    In that case, welcome to the party @nightmarenny!

    KarozSteelhawkwebguy20
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Hey! That's great!

    So two fighters, a cleric and a swashbuckler rogue, eh? Did I get that right?

    So I guess it makes sense that the fighters get the potions and I get the cloak?

    Karozwebguy20
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    That loot distribution makes sense to me, but if you folks would like to discuss further please feel free to do so.
    agmi38qzidre.jpg

    Clouds float lazily above your heads as you arrive in the small village of Beechburton. Although the sight of adventurers is fairly common in bigger cities, the four of you draw a lot of attention as you make your way toward the village square. No one here is bristling with weapons or armor. Even the few village guards that you can see wear little more than leather aprons and simple spears. Based on who you can see milling about the village's dirt roads, Beechburton appears to be majority human.

    Idyllic scenery and sleepy villagers are all well and good, but you're here to do a job. The Cabell family has asked for your help. How would you like to proceed?

    Denada on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mori approaches the nearest guard at their post.
    Given his impressive stature, subtlety has never been his strong point. The graveyards he tends, and those who occupy them, generally don't care much one way or the other.

    "We have been summoned by the Cabell family for assistance with undefined task. What can you tell me of the Cabell family?"

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The guard, a young man that can't possibly be older than 20, is taken aback as you approach. Stopping just short of raising his weapon at you, he eyes your Guild insignia and clears his throat. "The Cabells live out by the moors," he says, "about an hour walk from here. If you take the old mine road, turn left after the big stone. You can't miss it." He looks around to see who's in ear-shot, then leans in. "What did they call the Guild for anyway? Is it bandits? Demons? A dragon or something?"

  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Our duties are to provide aid in regards to undefined task as requested by the Cabell family.
    Is there any additional information regarding the Cabell family that could be pertinent to dealing with undefined task?
    Rumors of dark pacts? Dealing with demons or entities? Desecrated churches or graveyards under their watch?

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    Laen steps between Mori and the boy, and gently pats the warforged on the shoulder as he does so.
    “We’re not for knowing why they called us lad, just that we were called. Now, thank ya for pointing us in the right direction. We’ll be on our way.”

    Nealneal on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The guard seems unfazed by Mori's manner of speaking. "The Cabells are good enough folk I suppose. Never had much dealing with them myself. Of course there is the lege-" he trails off as Laen steps up. "Right, yeah of course," he says, and nods to the two of you and your two companions a short distance away. "Pelor guide you."

    Karoz
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    Mori follows Laen down the street.
    I thought my attempt at conversation was going well. Where was my miscalculation?
    Mori turns and waves farewell at the guard before continuing to the Old Mine Road.

    see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Karoz
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    Rutherford struts down the path alongside his companions, his red and black leathers and long coat striking enough for this tiny village, let alone his ridiculous, but still amazing, hat. It made for the perfect opportunity to catch the eyes of the various villagers, allowing him to flash his killer smile.

    At the conversation with the guard, Rutherford catches the young man as he stopped himself. "Hey now, what was that at again? Lege-what? Legend? You were about to say legend, weren't you? I love legends. Come on. Spill. I want to hear this..."
    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Persuasion

    Persuasion:
    1d20+7 16 [1d20=9]

    Steelhawk on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The guard perks up at a second chance to gossip. "Right, the legend. My dad told it to me, his dad told it to him, and so on and so on. It's as much a part of the town as the buildings are, really. I'm not as good at telling it as my old man was, but I know it well enough."

    He clears his throat again and speaks in a slightly hushed tone. "They say that hundreds of years ago - way back when the village was barely more than a couple families trying to make a go of it out in the wilds - the first Cabells that came to this place built their big manor house out on the moors. Old Richard Cabell poured everything he had into building that manor. Nearly bankrupted him. Well just as he was about to lose the house and his fortune and all, along comes a mysterious stranger with an offer. A real dark type, you know like a wizard or something. Anyway this stranger makes a deal with Richard Cabell, that he'll make sure the family never loses their house and they'll always prosper out here. But in exchange, every hundred years, a Cabell has to be sacrificed."

    Satisfied with this retelling, the guard straightens up and waves his hand dismissively. "Of course no one really believes that stuff. I mean sure the Cabells are a little strange, but aren't all rich folk? Like I said they've never hurt anyone. Good story though. And hey, you never know, you know?"

    KarozElvenshae
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited April 10
    Hobs trailed behind his companions. He kept one eye on their backs and the other on the village. He hated vague assignments like this. Danger could come from any angle. He passed King with a nod. King fought the kind of battles Hobs would just get in the way of.

    Hobs sped up to catch Mori and Laen. “We seek out the Cabells then”?

    nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Laen grins at Mori’s question, “No, ya talk better’n me by a far bit. Still the lad was a broadsided by your barrage, so I figured I‘d settle him down and let King do the gabbing.”

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    King puts on shocked and delighted faces at the appropriate times, making the guard believe that his story was the best one King had heard in an age.

    "Every hundred years one of the family is sacrificed?! That's quite the price. Clearly, the family has prospered, yes? So are you missing any members over the generations? A daughter of the family your grandpa had the sweets for goes missing? Leaves town with no warning? That kind of thing. More importantly... has any current member of family been acting out of sorts? Maybe worried about their impending doom?"

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "No," the guard says thoughtfully, "Can't say I've ever heard of anything like that. I suppose they must be having some sort of trouble though, considering they called the Guild, but I don't know what it is. They keep to themselves mostly. They did just have a baby recently, does that help? Maybe it's sick or something!" He smiles at the idea that he might have been helpful, but looks away sheepishly, embarrassed that he got excited about a sick baby.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    King pat's him on the shoulder as a thanks, "You've been very helpful, my friend. Be at the tavern later! I'm sure my mates and I will be along after we've taken our meeting with Lord Cabell. Hobs here will buy you a drink as a thanks!"

    With another pat, King takes his leave of the guardsman and rejoins his team as they head towards the moors.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 11
    Many of the villagers watch the four of you make your way out of the village square, whispering to each other as you pass. A small town like this is always hungry for a new source of gossip, and the arrival of the Guild will surely sustain them for a long while. One wonders what their stories about you will become in time.

    2b4xci4r7c4t.jpg

    You walk along a well-worn road for several miles, slowly climbing up into the moorland overlooking Beechburton. Even though the mid-afternoon sun is still shining overhead, wisps of mist still drift among the bushes and sparse trees. In places you can start to see the reeds and tufts of grass that show where the land gives way to bog.

    The farther north you go, the fewer of the village's namesake trees there are, and soon you see the imposing, slate-grey figure of Cabell Manor in the distance. It juts up from the land not unlike a massive gravestone, sharing the landscape with only one other building, a squat, stone structure a half-mile or so away from the manor.

    Cabell Manor's grand design and well-manicured grounds come into better view as you draw closer, though the more sharp-eyed among you notice that the windows on the ground floor all appear to be covered up with heavy boards. The tall iron fence that surrounds the manor is in good condition, however the main gate that crosses the road has been torn open, hanging precariously on its badly twisted hinges. The gate and this particular patch of road appear scorched in places.

    The large front doors of Cabell Manor wait about a hundred feet ahead of you, and even from this distance you can see that they too are scorched and damaged. The doors and the heavy boards on the windows around them are covered in burn marks and deep scratches.

    You don't see anyone around outside. Smoke rising from a few of the manor's chimneys indicates that people are home.

    Denada on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Mori approaches the gate slowly, and pauses for a moment to consider the damage to the gate.
    I'm looking to see if I can determine the cause of the scorch marks. Was this a magic attack? Was it alchemists fire? Burning arrows?
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Arcana check

    Arcana check:
    1d20+1 18 [1d20=17]

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Hobs looks over the scene from a military perspective. He's trying to get a general feel for how and where the fight started. Was it an attack from outside or a squabble from within? Specifically he examines the gate hoping to discover if it was destroyed from without or within. Hobs shares anything he learns with his companions immediately.
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for perception

    perception:
    1d20+3 22 [1d20=19]

    Quire.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    To make this a little easier on myself, and potentially everyone else:
    Mori - https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/SierraEcho/characters/26350946
    Laen - https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/26348916
    Rutherford King - https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/22140006
    Hobs - https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/26371433

    There, now I won't have to track down character sheets.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Karoz
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Mori: The scorch marks don't give you a lot to go on, but the burn patterns aren't natural. This has the look of fire caused by some kind of attack, perhaps by a creature of some sort.

    Hobs: Your own analysis confirms that this damage is the result of an attack. The gate is broken from the outside in, meaning something busted its way through the gate to get to the manor.

    Between the two of you, you're able to determine that some kind of creature broke through the gate to get to the manor, and attacked the front doors - along with a few seemingly random spots around the perimeter of the first floor - with fire and large, powerful claws. It seems like these attacks have happened more than once. The assailant could easily have done more damage to the manor than some scratches and minor burns, but for some reason has not.

  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited April 12
    "So something has been assaulting this Manor house... but from the looks of it, they're not trying very hard?" King says, confused by the evidence.

    "Well, it doesn't seem to be here now. So let's introduce ourselves to the client and earn our pay."

    Unless there are objections, King leads the way and knocks on the front door.

    Edit: Keeping his eyes open for hidden threats of course.

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for perception

    perception:
    1d20+1 3 [1d20=2]

    Steelhawk on
Sign In or Register to comment.