As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [chat] Thread

1939495969799»

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Bastards

I just saw that Blizzard has been charging me since August for WOW Classic

I'm usually really good about these things, those fucks did a good job hiding the recurring language

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Bastards

I'm usually really good about these things, those fucks did a good job hiding the recurring language

also, your bank statements

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Crusader Kings (769-1453)
    Eddy wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    I suspect Nintendo accidentally stumbled into greatness with the Gamecube controller, considering everything they've done before and after. That doesn't discount how wonderful the Gamecube controller is, and perhaps even enhances it, like how the appreciation of life is enhanced when considering that it arose from nothingness and chance rather than a divine design
    Personally, rightly or wrongly, I blame the gamers who were like “lol it looks like a preskool toy” for Nintendo abandoning the GameCube controller

I also blame gamers for Twilight Princess being so brown

I mean, they went in even bolder directions in terms of hardware after the cube, so it's not like they were cowed into aesthetic submission

I think that gaming hardware folks have not sufficiently considered intuitiveness or ergonomics, or other basic elements of design. At this point I think that they are afraid that any change, even for the better, would be impossible due to hardcore gamer inertia, even though I think casuals would greatly appreciate friendly interfaces and control schemes

Playstation has kept the horrible dualshock layout because it's their brand, Microsoft has similarly never bothered with intuitive button labels/sizes/positions nor has rethought the controller layout at all (Why does every controller still have a D-pad AND left analog stick?)

Nintendo at least has reconsidered the core concept of a controller, although with the Switch Lite anyway they seem to have just meekly gone back to copying the Xbox except somehow it's even worse

At least if the D-Pad wasn't garbage on most controllers it would be understandable.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »
    ElAhKAh.jpg

This image inspired a recent D&D thing for me!

Uh oh

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Bastards

cool, we haven't been upset with each other in awhile

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    Also I’ve never played crash bandicoot before but both my roommates died like 30 times on this stage with bees and fire spitting flowers and I beat it on my first try, learning the controls as I went : (

Did you scream OWNED YOU GAY BOY to the son

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Hello 😰

poo
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    I wish I knew more about Europe during the Gaullic and Celtic expansions

It seems we always hear so much about Greece and Rome and Egypt during that time, but continental Europe was loosely united by shared language and culture for as much as 3000 years, yet we seem to know fuck all about these groups beyond them being good metal workers and poor historians

Blame lack of written records. By the time of the fall of the Latin west and the Goths setting up shop in Iberia and Italy the Celtic peoples and still migrating in Germanic tribes had had contact with Rome for between 450 and 600 years and had either lost touch with their oral histories or become some degree of Latinized

The Visigoths that took over Spain is about the closest we have to a tribal people like that leaving a detailed accounting of their culture. They kept the wearing of trousers and implemented their own law codes over their subjects in Spain, but at the same time they wrote this stuff down in Latin and had a better than 100 year history of being auxiliaries of the legions and living as citizens of the Empire

Agreed. It’s kinda unreal how little the Continental Celtic tribes wrote down, despite having organized language and other cultures around them being prodigious literate historians. Plus, most evidence points to them being fairly industrial and knowledgeable about comparable technologies.

There was this hugely dominant culture over an entire continent for thousands of years and we’ll probably never really know much about them

Etruscans are the same way. They left writings, but no one knows their language so they're more or less useless. The last known person that was fluent in Etruscan was the Emperor Claudius and sadly we don't have fully extant copies of any of his writings, Agripinna and Nero saw to them getting buried.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ElAhKAh.jpg

Uh oh

*steeples fingers*

• Options
    Bastards

cool, we haven't been upset with each other in awhile

Gotta keep it saucy

(Also if you haven’t logged on in months maybe they would refund some/all of it as an honest mistake)

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Stellaris (20XX)
    wandering wrote: »
    I suspect Nintendo accidentally stumbled into greatness with the Gamecube controller, considering everything they've done before and after. That doesn't discount how wonderful the Gamecube controller is, and perhaps even enhances it, like how the appreciation of life is enhanced when considering that it arose from nothingness and chance rather than a divine design
    Personally, rightly or wrongly, I blame the gamers who were like “lol it looks like a preskool toy” for Nintendo abandoning the GameCube controller

I also blame gamers for Twilight Princess being so brown

I mean, they went in even bolder directions in terms of hardware after the cube, so it's not like they were cowed into aesthetic submission

I think that gaming hardware folks have not sufficiently considered intuitiveness or ergonomics, or other basic elements of design. At this point I think that they are afraid that any change, even for the better, would be impossible due to hardcore gamer inertia, even though I think casuals would greatly appreciate friendly interfaces and control schemes

Playstation has kept the horrible dualshock layout because it's their brand, Microsoft has similarly never bothered with intuitive button labels/sizes/positions nor has rethought the controller layout at all (Why does every controller still have a D-pad AND left analog stick?)

Nintendo at least has reconsidered the core concept of a controller, although with the Switch Lite anyway they seem to have just meekly gone back to copying the Xbox except somehow it's even worse

They...do different things? Also in games where you don't want digital movement the dpad is effectively four extra buttons.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I think I'm on schedule here

I know what to do or I know where to find what to do so it won't take a lot of trial and error tomorrow

and I've decided to leave the fourier transform shit at the end if I have time and feel like it because urgh, god, fuck that shit.

now the uncertain part of the plan relies on me falling asleep in not too long so I can get up at 9 am

which is something I'm famously excellent at so I foresee no problems there at all

the fact that 9 am was when I went to bed today won't be an issue, surely

Fuck.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    Also I’ve never played crash bandicoot before but both my roommates died like 30 times on this stage with bees and fire spitting flowers and I beat it on my first try, learning the controls as I went : (

Did you scream OWNED YOU GAY BOY to the son

honestly it felt like it was implied

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I retract my d-pad/analog stick claim but only because I've decided to focus all my energies on the evil back/start? select/start? whatever those two buttons are called

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Lol we bathed blossom and she’s really mad about it

i5dxs0q225jy.jpeg

• Options
    I think I'm on schedule here

I know what to do or I know where to find what to do so it won't take a lot of trial and error tomorrow

and I've decided to leave the fourier transform shit at the end if I have time and feel like it because urgh, god, fuck that shit.

now the uncertain part of the plan relies on me falling asleep in not too long so I can get up at 9 am

which is something I'm famously excellent at so I foresee no problems there at all

the fact that 9 am was when I went to bed today won't be an issue, surely

Fuck.

i've been caught unawares

• Options
    oabq81tok62y.jpeg

• Options
    Debating darkest dungeon on the switch

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Stellaris (20XX)

Did you play the PC version? I think you'll like the aesthetic but I don't think you'd appreciate the amount of time it takes.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »

Did you play the PC version? I think you'll like the aesthetic but I don't think you'd appreciate the amount of time it takes.

I’ve played a lot - I have a run that is not going to finish

I know it’s grinds but I love that intense risk management - it’s why I love dungeon crawls in d&d

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I have some sympathy for cultures that don't have written traditions, because there are a whole host of reasons why they wouldn't or couldn't, but at the same time I find it quite funny that a huge chunk of western cultures didn't have them (nor their associated benefits of easily referenced institutional knowledge, centralization/administrative capacity, technological complexity, etc) until relatively recently, historically speaking

I love history and continue to enjoy European history, but after getting out of my Eurocentric bubble, all the claims of European cultural/racial supremacy from the 18th century onwards just feel like new money types bragging about their mcmansion or something

Eddy on
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Stellaris (20XX)
    Yay. I was unaware that downloading shit from package managers was unsafe and I'm gonna have to rethink how I use packages now

why wasn't i informed of this

was it because i'm an idiot and wasn't paying attention

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

I'm giving it the long play. After I get to about week 9 or 10 I do it in sessions of one round of management, one round of delving.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

I know it’s grinds but I love that intense risk management - it’s why I love dungeon crawls in d&d

These nightmarish creatures can be felled, they can be beaten!

• Options

These nightmarish creatures can be felled, they can be beaten!

"Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer" is an instant-classic gaming quote

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Stellaris (20XX)
    Sleep wrote: »

I'm giving it the long play. After I get to about week 9 or 10 I do it in sessions of one round of management, one round of delving.

I enjoyed it a lot but then at a certain point I didn't enjoy that I was running the same thing over and over again but somewhat harder each time--the flavor stopped holding my interest. I also spent less time on the train, possibly, so I didn't have a good time to just sit and play it for a while.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Where I stalled out was a fully upgraded camp and a mostly level 5-6 party and just couldn’t complete the final runs

Shit was too hard!

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I have some sympathy for cultures that don't have written traditions, because there are a whole host of reasons why they wouldn't or couldn't, but at the same time I find it quite funny that a huge chunk of western cultures didn't have them (nor their associated benefits of easily referenced institutional knowledge, centralization/administrative capacity, technological complexity, etc) until relatively recently, historically speaking

I love history and continue to enjoy European history, but after getting out of my Eurocentric bubble, all the claims of European cultural supremacy from the 18th century onwards just feel like new money types bragging about their mcmansion or something

Yeah it's fuckin wild that like outside some flavor of Catholicism any cultural traditions from my ancestry I might try to claim are mostly just made up stuff based on records from like 100 years after those traditions would have actually been widely practiced, and it's mostly records written by the folks that both wiped out and appropriated that culture. Like the most well known cultural holiday from my ancestry is a celebration of that happening.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    ElAhKAh.jpg

Uh oh

*steeples fingers*

Not the bees!

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Watching 30 rock and I hear this joke

"What's the difference between yo momma and a laundry machine?"
    "When I drop a load in the laundry machine it doesn't follow me around for a week"

Standards and Practices be slippin' in 2007

Deebaser on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    ElAhKAh.jpg

Uh oh

*steeples fingers*

Not the bees!

caN3iUZ.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I do love me oral traditions because it really does feel quite intimate and almost sacred on some level, and I can understand why a culture would resist the move to writing for philosophical and religious reasons (let alone the logistical and linguistic reasons for why such a move could be impractical bordering on impossible)

It is morally problematic to measure cultures by technological progress for those reasons. What if, philosophically, a group chose to remain hunter-gatherers, or rely entirely on oral tradition, or any number of other deliberate limitations? With any measurement - even something as ostensibly universally-desired as average lifespan - comes assumptions about what is good and desirable; assumptions that of course may be wrong or misguided or ill-fitting or missing cultural contexts, and I feel like a lot of modernity neglects that critical self-examination of whether it's fair to point to a metric wherein another culture comes up short, or the philosophical underpinnings of why those metrics are used in the first place (that goes both ways of course)

With that being said, meat is murder

Eddy on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 0.8

@Eddy will create the new thread
    @Organichu is backup

This discussion has been closed.