As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Hey dibby how do I see my stats like that?

@Henroid you're not gonna like this answer!

Stats used to just, be available to anyone. You could click the button, see your past 5 Warbands and all other kinds of juicy info.

They realized they weren't monetizing Battlegrounds hard enough and removed several baseline features and introduced the "Tavern Pass", which has all those features we used to have baseline.

It costs either $9.99 or 2500 gold, you also get it as part of pre-ordering the expac bundle.

So yeah, it's real shitty! It fuckin sucks ass!!
    Wow, EA eat your heart out on predatory micro-transactions. For perspective, EA charges people money to use the "hide" function on headgear in Star Wars: TOR.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular

Stats used to just, be available to anyone. You could click the button, see your past 5 Warbands and all other kinds of juicy info.

They realized they weren't monetizing Battlegrounds hard enough and removed several baseline features and introduced the "Tavern Pass", which has all those features we used to have baseline.

It costs either $9.99 or 2500 gold, you also get it as part of pre-ordering the expac bundle.

Wow, EA eat your heart out on predatory micro-transactions. For perspective, EA charges people money to use the "hide" function on headgear in Star Wars: TOR.

It’s pretty easy to get the necessary gold by playing quests (re-rolling as necessary) and playing BG. I got like 4,500 gold between the last xpac and now, easily covering the BG cost.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is the pass a permanent purchase in that respect or is it for x amount of time?

As far as gold earning goes it seems slim in this game. 10 gold for every three wins (which, ugh), even for BG victories which are many times longer than regular matches. I should look up what achievement type things I can do to just get big earnings of gold even if just one-time. One of my hobbies over the past 15 years has been dissecting F2P games and kinda determining how friendly they are in the "play entirely for free" respect.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular

Mostly true. Stats (and the other features) were never available out of the box. You had to buy 10-30 packs of the latest set to unlock them. Granted, that was a low bar to entry and most people were going to unlock it automatically if they played the normal game at least a bit.

The current setup is mega shitty for the players though, that is the truth. I suppose it's understandable that they wanted to find a way to monetize the development effort on Battlegrounds, but lord does it suck.

• Options
    Is the pass a permanent purchase in that respect or is it for x amount of time?
    Oh and that's the best part! The purchase is only good for the duration of the most recent expansion cycle. Which means on this Thursday, everyone who purchased the BG perks loses them until they buy them again (good for the next 4 months).

Oh, and Dibby, another issue in your post: it's actually $20/2500 gold for the BG pass at the start. They reduced the cost to $10/1250 gold about halfway through Ashes of Outland, so it's prorated in the most half-assed way possible. Someone who is unaware of the system could end up spending 10 bucks on Wednesday and immediately lose the perks the next day (well, besides the 4 arena tickets). It's fuckin' ridiculous.

• Options
    Yeah I'm already giving Blizzard my time on this shit, there's no way they're getting my money.

• Options
    And before anyone gets to it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z1fLaT84_U

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Eh, it's basically $30 USD a year for the extras. Given that there's no additional monetization in BGs, I think that the pricing is pretty reasonable.

I tend to evaluate paying for games with the metric of whether or not they provide one hour of entertainment per dollar spent as a baseline for value. Under that criteria, having the battleground pass is worth it for me, as I'll likely play well over twenty hours of BGs a month. By contrast, something like Ghost of Tsushima is going to wait for a sale, because I expect about thirty hours of entertainment from it and it would currently cost me over $80 CDN.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I've bought $20 indie games to play with friends for a single night. It's possible that I don't value my money as much as I should though.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The value of a dollar is tied directly to what an individual's income is.

Edit - Which is to say, sure, $30 a year sounds like nothing... unless you're me who is unemployed and even with employment that may not be worth it given current economic stress.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Oh oh oh oh I finally got Patches in BG just now. Time to try pirates out in earnest.

Edit - Four turns in and no pirates rolling in the tavern for me, FML

Henroid on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Don't ever suicide roll looking for a specific minion type in early game, ever, ever ever, ever ever ever.

Fastest way to lose the match.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Don't ever suicide roll looking for a specific minion type in early game, ever, ever ever, ever ever ever.

Fastest way to lose the match.
    I didn't, I was just frustrated that I couldn't capitalize on Patches' power for a long while.

Anyway I won yay. I played pretty damn sloppily given I'm not used to pirates. The canon guy showed up one time in my tavern so I only got the +3 damage battlecry once. Final lineup below.

TjY9lAZ.png

• Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Eh, it's basically $30 USD a year for the extras.
    $60

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    forty wrote: »
    Oh, and Dibby, another issue in your post: it's actually $20/2500 gold for the BG pass at the start. They reduced the cost to $10/1250 gold about halfway through Ashes of Outland, so it's prorated in the most half-assed way possible. Someone who is unaware of the system could end up spending 10 bucks on Wednesday and immediately lose the perks the next day (well, besides the 4 arena tickets). It's fuckin' ridiculous.

excuse??????????

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    I will be beyond astonished if the price doesn't reset to $20/2500 on Thursday.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    4kB7NLJ.png
    If you look closely you can see the second one the tooltip is obscuring almost the same strength, same buffs.
    No I didn't chase this as a strategy it just happened by chance.
    Edit - Oh I just noticed it's not showing the buffed numbers. 29/22

Henroid on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    yeah I got the pass for 1250 gold a month or two ago

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I feel like BGs match making needs to be a bit better. I lost every single battle then get matched against #2 and #1 for my second and last fights. Way to throw me under the bus.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I still watch some games from Kibler and Trump. Have to admit, BG is far more interesting than Standard games, but only if it's edited. I can't watch it live because those timers take forever between rounds.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I still watch some games from Kibler and Trump. Have to admit, BG is far more interesting than Standard games, but only if it's edited. I can't watch it live because those timers take forever between rounds.

That’s why you should play BG while texting during downtime.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Ohhhh my god. Oh my god? Oh my god.

Kittycat's Hero Power can just straight up discover Golden Minions. And yes, you get the triple reward for playing it out.

GDZ8g3Q.png

So this was my first actual good Bigglesworth game. Wowza. Yowza. But also, I kept disconnecting a LOT. I've been noticing that happening a fuckton when playing Bigglesworth. It's really odd.

Anyway, couldn't clutch it out beyond Top 3 because lolmurlocs

edit: OH, it was Beasts. the one that got me was Beasts, i didn't know their board, but i opted for Zapp because i figured it could kill off macaws or something. but i disconnected! and so we'll never know. but i lost.

maybe should've just slammed that 30/30 pirate i got instead...

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ohhhh my god. Oh my god? Oh my god.

Kittycat's Hero Power can just straight up discover Golden Minions. And yes, you get the triple reward for playing it out.

GDZ8g3Q.png

So this was my first actual good Bigglesworth game. Wowza. Yowza. But also, I kept disconnecting a LOT. I've been noticing that happening a fuckton when playing Bigglesworth. It's really odd.

Anyway, couldn't clutch it out beyond Top 3 because lolmurlocs

dafmsw6m7vjc.png

I feel like this could be used for a long time.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm already giving Blizzard my time on this shit, there's no way they're getting my money.

I guess I'll never quite understand this attitude. I think it's great that there are f2p card games like Hearthstone, Runeterra, etc. (And let's put the quality of Blizzard's f2p offerings for just a moment, because I do agree they're not great). But like... if you are playing this game and you dislike it so much that you would refuse to give them money... why keep playing?

The time to get out is before you invest anything other than time.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    i got fucking SCAMMED today in battlegrounds

opponent's nat pagle gets overkill, spawns chest

out pops golden tide razor

just kill me now :rotate:

and guess what turn it was

(if you guessed TURN FUCKING EIGHT, YOU'RE DAMN STRAIGHT IT WAS)

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    You guys wouldn't believe this BG I just had. My pirate chest spawned a golden Tide Razor to save the day.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I still have 15k gold banked from back whenever I played regularly and went infinite in Arena. I bought the tavern pass on launch and I think I already made more gold in the mean time by just doing my quests every couple of days (mostly in tavern brawl or wild). So for my play style (no ladder, never buying cards), BGs are completely free even with the pass.

If I just do quests twice a week (and they are usually easy and fast), that's 300 gold or so, without even rerolling. If an expansion is 4 months, that's like 5k gold. So it would be fine to just do 3 quests once a week, even. I'm not complaining, but I do think that Blizz has a hard time figuring out how to a) collect money from BG only players or b) converting those players to ladder players. I fully expect them to do something about that at some point. (Like, gate heroes behind standard ranks or some shit)

edit: Also those stats are absolutely laughable for 2500 gold. When they moved the stats to a paid thing, I expected them to at least give me stats for all heroes, but they didn't even do that. They could also easily give us tribe stats or unit stats or countless other interesting things.

Grobian on
  • Options
    Grobian wrote: »
    edit: Also those stats are absolutely laughable for 2500 gold. When they moved the stats to a paid thing, I expected them to at least give me stats for all heroes, but they didn't even do that. They could also easily give us tribe stats or unit stats or countless other interesting things.

Battlegrounds (Beta)

:rotate:

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Edit: taken

zepherin on
  • Options
    I am consistently getting 2nd place in BGs at this point. You guys were right about not chasing a deck strategy at the start, that's helped a ton. I'm also generally getting better at making faster decisions on what to buy and sell and drop in at any given point.

Lost a round just now with an Illidan-driven pirate deck. It was an interesting round, especially when I ended up with a gold swabbie that had like 50+ attack for the last half of the match. I even ended up with a nearly all-gold minion set in play, minus the Tide Razor I got at the end (and this includes the admiral, got him gold too). I lost to a poisoned murloc hand, which was pretty much a given on happening.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I know the Kalecgos discussion was last page but in his latest video Dog makes a transition to dragons after discovering a Kalecgos with only 1 dragon on his board.

It's on yt, so you already know it worked out, but it still has interesting moments and he does explain some of his decisions in this game.

https://youtu.be/t1XMHKRQMc0

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »

Battlegrounds (Beta)

:rotate:
    They don’t give you any negative stats either or ways to extrapolate. Tell me how many wins and losses I have with a hero.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Edit: Yep. :(

forty on
  • Options
    Huh, Scholo packs were a bug apparently. https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/scholomance-academy-and-august-ranked-rewards/38142
    After this week’s 18.0 patch, players who began the August ranked season may have received rewards that included Scholomance Academy packs. As of this date of posting, the 18.0 patch has gone live but the Scholomance Academy content is not yet live. This was unintended, as we should have only begun offering these packs as rewards beginning in September. As a related note, because this is unintended behavior, players will likely be shown that they are receiving Ashes of Outland packs, when they will in fact receive Scholomance Academy packs.

For the entirely of August, we will continue offering Scholomance Academy packs instead of Ashes of Outland packs as August ranked rewards. We are currently in the process of making an update which will correctly display for players that their rewards are from Scholomance Academy, not Ashes of Outland. Please note, however, that until this fix is deployed, players will continue to see Ashes of Outland packs shown in the UI. We will begin work to correct the UI next week and will provide an update on its release as soon as possible.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Well, at least they're not taking them away or something. Learning from past mistakes there.

• Options
    Interesting thing, they changed the zayles evil decks up.

• Options
    Man, usually Blizzard goes "EVEN IF YOU WEREN'T INTENTIONALLY DOING THIS THING" and punishes people. That's pretty shocking of them to realize it was 100% their mistake.

• Options
    Is Blizz big on punishing people? It's been like 15 years since I played WoW but I remember they were the ones to describe exploits as "clever use of game mechanics".

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    they claw back rewards sometimes but they usually don't 'punish' people unless they're being really flagrant about it

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Man, what? Logging into the game at the start of the month isn't remotely like abusing obvious bugs for personal gain. This is like the least punishable thing ever to happen in an online game.