As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Are daily/weekly quest rerolls on separate cooldowns? Or can you only reroll one a day?

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I rerolled one of my weeklies. I have the option to reroll a daily but not another weekly right now.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    fortyKafkaAU
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Woot, I finally got a 1st with the new meta. It took a bit.

fd3tjivz5gwa.jpeg

fortyDibbyTynnan
    Fellows, please gather around me as I pour out a 40 (dust) on the curb for our dead homie, the Classic pack rewarding Spectate a Friend quest.

That second Brawl just got further out of my reach.

The Judgezepherin
    forty wrote: »
    We won't know for sure for a while, but I strongly suspect you won't be completing the full reward track playing 2-3 games a day (typically all that was really required for maximum daily engagement).
    OK, this might not be the case. It looks like you can get about 12k/week on average from doing all the daily/weekly quests. I don't know how much you get from games yet, but I imagine it's a pittance compared to quests (just like the 3.3 gold per win under the old system). I saw a post saying it takes about 200k total XP to hit level 50. If that's true, and you're diligent about completing quests, you should be able to finish the track close to the end of the season (12,000XP/week * 17weeks = 204,000XP). So that puts you a little past the goal, with probably a bit of wiggle room for a handful of missed quests from game XP, depending on how much you play.

Some of these weeklies will require a little more commitment than the old system, though.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Yilias wrote: »
    Actually doesn't look that bad. The paid track is just cosmetics and experience boosters, and all the tangible rewards are in the free track.

Using these rates:
    100 gold = 2/3 tavern ticket = 1 pack = 104 dust
    1 epic = 100 dust
    1 legendary = 400 dust

Under the old system if you did seven sixty-gold dailies per week for eighteen weeks you made 7560 gold which is roughly 7862 dust. If you only did five per week you made 5400 gold which is roughly 5616 dust.

If you do the full track for the new system you get 7 current expansion packs, 9 old expansion packs, 1 epic, 2 legendaries, 4200 gold, and 2 tavern tickets; which converts to roughly 7244 dust.
    Each level past max is another 150 gold, so you break even with the maximum engagement for the old system after four of those.

Barring ridiculous experience requirements to level the track, this is going to be a lot more stuff for people who don't reliably do dailies (I do like 2 a week), and slightly more stuff for minmaxers.
    (Also ignoring the possibility of future tracks being stingier than this one)

That 4200 gold is about 3-4k less gold than I'd have at the start of every expansion. Thats all I care about. This means I'll get 30-40 less packs at the release of every expansion which translates to less dust and cards to play with when the new cards release.

Despite all the cool bells and whistles of the achievements and battle pass, this new system is worse in the only way I care about.

I've got ~8000 gold saved up now for the new expansion. I'll play through this one, then wait and see what the expansion after this upcoming one feels like with only 4k gold to spend on packs. I suspect I wont like it and it will likely lead me to quit.

Yes and no.

Yes, it is 4200 gold from the entire reward track.

No, it is not less than you will normally get if you max out the track and keep gaining levels (150 gold per level for every level past the max).

The idea is that, if you were the type that was playing every day, doing your dailies every day, you will not make less overall gold per expac cycle from the new reward track. You will, in all honesty, probably make the same amount.

That, sprinkled in with other goodies like free card packs and Legendaries, is super good.

As Yilias said, the total rewards equate to more than just Gold; you have to think of it on an economic level and include things like the card packs, the epic, the two Legendaries, and the Tavern Tickets. Those alone also add up to an equivalent amount. I dunno about you, but, getting two free Legendaries? Just for, playing the game? Pretty fucking good.

Moreover.... Battleground-only Players can now complete their dailies/weeklies via Battlegrounds and get exp from Battlegrounds and easily make that 2000 gold per cycle they need for BG Perks with the new system without ever really having to do Constructed, I think. I'm pretty sure that's how it works out.

I'm a big fan of the new progression system! It seems great all around, honestly. Just a bunch more flexibility in terms of how to complete Quests, too.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah it seems like they did a good job with it; it's actually a fair bit more generous than I expected

I also assume most players aren't playing with strict economy in mind (i.e. if you get a quest for a class you aren't playing you re-roll or don't do it), which this system at least partially eliminates

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Dibby
    For players like me and (I presume) ObiFett, the new system is absolutely worse.

If you're someone who played a lot of BGs or whatever such that the new system rewards you better, I'm happy for you, but I really wish the monkey's paw didn't have to take from some of us to provide for others.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    while i don't mean to be rude, i don't think the new system was ever going to take into account the kind of player who aggressively min/maxes their quest completion spreadsheets every day and never disenchants anything so that if a card ever gets nerfed the get full dust

3cl1ps3BeastehThe Escape GoatDibbyAlphagaia
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I think the system is worse as well, but I live only for gold. Pure, unrefined gold coins. Sure, Legendaries/Epics and what not are nice, but it's not the glittery goodness of gold. MMmmm.....
    Meanwhile, Legends of Runeterra be like, "Here's all the cards for playing for a few months. What? No, not some of the cards, the whole set. No, no, no, you don't just get a few Legendaries here and there. YOU GET ALL THE CARDS!"

Fuck Hearthstone and MTG's outdated, greedy pack bullshit.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    forty
    while i don't mean to be rude, i don't think the new system was ever going to take into account the kind of player who aggressively min/maxes their quest completion spreadsheets every day and never disenchants anything so that if a card ever gets nerfed the get full dust
    I don't mean to be rude, but you clearly have no understanding of the reward structures or play styles being discussed here. Completing all daily quests doesn't require arduous min/maxing or spreadsheets (I've never once created a spreadsheet for anything in Hearthstone), and disenchanting philosophy is also irrelevant to gold income, pack purchasing, etc.

The amount of players who just log in every day or two or three to knock out dailies and then log out is not at all insignificant.

ObiFettElvenshae
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    disenchanting is relevant because the assumption is that you will disenchant bad cards to craft good cards

3cl1ps3
    edited November 2020
    disenchanting is relevant because the assumption is that you will disenchant bad cards to craft good cards
    This has no bearing on the amount of gold available for purchasing packs at the start of the expansion. But because crafting good cards actually devalues delayed pack opening, that's actually an extra notch against the new system, so... that kind of just enhances my argument. I guess good job agreeing with me?

forty on
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    edit: on second thought I shouldn't be posting opinions at 4am

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    So I finished a Daily Quest yesterday in the 'new' system, and last night it said that a new Daily would be available in 4 hours. Logged in this morning and that Daily still hasn't been replaced, and now says a new Daily will be available in 18 hours.

Anyone else seeing issues with new dailies populating?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Serious question: what if I absolutely loathe ranked play? Like hate it with all my being and only ever used to play it as a last resort to finish quests, I’ve been known to refill quests just to avoid it. I have a 20% win rate and have a weekly quest to win 7 fucking games so fuck that no way I’m playing 35 games a week for this shit.

Can I still reach the end of the reward track thing in a season?

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
    Serious question: what if I absolutely loathe ranked play? Like hate it with all my being and only ever used to play it as a last resort to finish quests, I’ve been known to refill quests just to avoid it. I have a 20% win rate and have a weekly quest to win 7 fucking games so fuck that no way I’m playing 35 games a week for this shit.

You can reach the end of the reward track if you're an Arena-only or BG-only player, yes.

You receive exp from those game modes, you can reroll weeklies and dailies into non-constructed ones.

It is a lot more flexible.

DNiDlnb.png
    I'm reminded of this xkcd.

workflow.png

MNC Dover3cl1ps3DibbyThe Escape GoatShadowhopeMarty81
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Achievements suck, because they pop up in BGs at the beginning of the combat round. I guess that problem will solve itself when all the low hanging fruits are out of the way. But just now I had a top2 battle against someone and I won the first combat, we tied the second and before I even saw his board for the third combat it popped up the achievement for winning BGs as Reno.

In related news, Menagerie is so good now, and I love it. I got a relatively early triple (on 8 mana) where I sold half my board to get the tier 5 unit, lucked into Lightfang and luckily didn't die the next two rounds. And after that nobody could touch me anymore.
    mkok74fp5qxn.png

zepherinTynnanMNC Dovernarwhal
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I think the system is worse as well, but I live only for gold. Pure, unrefined gold coins. Sure, Legendaries/Epics and what not are nice, but it's not the glittery goodness of gold. MMmmm.....
    Meanwhile, Legends of Runeterra be like, "Here's all the cards for playing for a few months. What? No, not some of the cards, the whole set. No, no, no, you don't just get a few Legendaries here and there. YOU GET ALL THE CARDS!"

Fuck Hearthstone and MTG's outdated, greedy pack bullshit.

I’m of a mindset that getting something specific that I want is always better than something random.

It’s not a 1-to-1 but I buy most of my magic cards second hand. I have decks I want to build and o can get the cards I need directly.

I’d rather work towards a reward of “legendary from the latest set” because it is way more likely to be useful to me than 1600 dust worth of packs. I have a much better idea of what I’m getting.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    This Tavern brawl is pretty easy.

1 cost pings...I'll take all of them.

EDIT: also arena just reminded me that in 4 days arena will reset. So get your freebees in.

zepherin on
    Oh this is cool, the class portraits from the paid track are the tier 1 sets from ye olde vanilla WoW.
    1pywh2wdj0z51.jpg

DibbyKafkaAUShadowhopeElvenshae
    edited November 2020
    Oh this is cool, the class portraits from the paid track are the tier 1 sets from ye olde vanilla WoW.
    1pywh2wdj0z51.jpg

Oh, those aren't from the paid track, you get to pick one when you hit max level.

Unless paid track gives you all of them? Idk.

I'm gonna pick up the Rogue one though. It's rad and puts the 1000 win portrait to shame.

I also like that the paid track is just all like, optional alt portrait stuff, like. There isn't any p2w aspect there. Exp boost I guess but seems minor.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    YiliasShadowhope
    edited November 2020

It'll probably be close, depending on how much you play casual/other modes. It appeared to me last night that the "Win 7 Ranked Games" weekly (the most lucrative one) was not able to be rerolled, so not completing that would cut your weekly XP down by 2,500, which amounts to about 40k XP over the duration of a season, which will not be enough to finish the track on quest XP alone. You'll likely have to make up some of that by playing a little more. I'm not sure yet how much XP is reasonably available for this track from the Achievements system.

Edit:
    11000 XP earned from all class achievements.
    3800 XP earned from Neutral achievements.
    14800 XP earned from Darkmoon Faire Achievements.
    It's probably almost guaranteed that getting all achievement XP is going to be out of the question for most sane players. I imagine a more casual player might realistically get about half of the XP available from them, which would make up for about 3 weeks of missing the big weekly quest. It's something, but not a lot. Maybe if you really focus on knocking them out you'll be able to get in the 10k-12.5k range. I'll have to reassess in a month or two based on how my progression looks.

Edit 2:
    Achievements – Achievements are broken up into categories and subcategories. As you’d expect, the Game Modes and Adventures categories can only be completed within their specified modes. The more general Progression and Gameplay categories can be completed in Ranked, Arena, and Duels modes.
    Whoops, looks like if you mostly play Casual, Achievement XP will largely be out of the question.

forty on
    edited November 2020
    Engaging with the quest system is not an unusual workflow.

Edit: And I think the biggest problem here is that Blizzard outright lied about this new system:
    We’re absolutely not taking away any of the gold you can earn. One of the goals of the new progression system, is to give you more gold, more rewards, more cosmetics for all players. No matter if you play the game 10 hours or 1000 hours an expansion, you should be expecting to be more rewarded for your time.

forty on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    1pywh2wdj0z51.jpg

Oh, those aren't from the paid track, you get to pick one when you hit max level.

Unless paid track gives you all of them? Idk.

I'm gonna pick up the Rogue one though. It's rad and puts the 1000 win portrait to shame.

I also like that the paid track is just all like, optional alt portrait stuff, like. There isn't any p2w aspect there. Exp boost I guess but seems minor.

People with more time have done the math and the exp boost results in something like 3k extra gold across all playstyles.

I'll eventually figure it out myself if I start paying attention, but does anyone know if the the 3 wins/10 gold is still around? Or did that also get punted?

Pretty sure it's gone, I haven't seen it pop up.

Pretty sure it's gone, I haven't seen it pop up.
    ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

Anyway, I got total Timmy cards as my level 1/5 legendary/epic: Y'Shaarj, the Defiler and Carnival Clown. I hope Corrupted isn't as inconsequential as Overkill was, or I got some major crap!

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Duels seems better than I expected. I do have a deep wild collection though so perhaps that’s why.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    6w9dna9mo4dd.jpg

. . . why yes, I will turn my run of the mill deck into a Legendary Slot-Machine.

Edit: IT DOESN'T PLAY THE ANIMATION THREE TIMES WTF BLIZZARD

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    Marty81Elvenshaenarwhalzepherin
    I thought you weren't supposed to be able to lose BG rating until you got to 2000? That is definitely not the case right now.

So the dark moon fair cards are live in duels, at least from discovers etc. This shaman I was playing against just got eyesor from the hero power.

steam_sig.png
    Tonight's games present: Wild is Fucking Stupid, Episode 761,526
    V4wdw90.png
    RBGNami.png

MNC DoverYilias
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    That’s kinda what you signed up for.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    You don't seem to enjoy Hearthstone very much, if at all

KafkaAUAlphagaia
    Having to actually win games for the quests again is a bit of a negative to the new system, but generally seems good overall.

steam_sig.png
    zepherin
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    . . . why yes, I will turn my run of the mill deck into a Legendary Slot-Machine.

Edit: IT DOESN'T PLAY THE ANIMATION THREE TIMES WTF BLIZZARD

I think they had to fix that after someone had the bright idea to pick Malchezzar in the "pick 2 cards" brawl.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited November 2020
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    if you play N’Zoth and you've had one circus amalgam die do you get 6 circus amalgams back?

So this is actually how it works. Just saw it in a trump video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jNRvl6wyOk&feature=share

9:05

Edit: And if you watch a bit further it was a bug that has been hot fixed so it doesn’t work like this.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    forty
    zepherin wrote: »
    This Tavern brawl is pretty easy.

1 cost pings...I'll take all of them.

EDIT: also arena just reminded me that in 4 days arena will reset. So get your freebees in.
    It's surely not as good as making a proper Brawl deck of shitty stat battlecries, but amusingly you can put Zayle's Cloak as your deck and you end up getting a 30 health hero instead of a 20 health one.