As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Animal Crossing - Where you can walk with the animals, sing with the animals...

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    And yeah, it's weird to say but it really shows that they rushed this game with stuff like that (repetitive dialog). It's a really large game so some of that is understandable of course, but I still feel like a lot of this was them leaning on the fact DLC exists and they can just patch shit in later.

I do think it’s weird to say the game was rushed because I feel like it was anything but rushed. Surely they were working on an Animal Crossing game for Wii U before they finally snuffed out that trash fire and moved the project to Switch. It would make me angry if I knew that all their efforts were going into Amiibo Festival, that useless plaza thing, Happy Home Designer and the mobile game.

Oh god, that IS what happened. They were farting around all that time, weren’t they?

I mean, look at all the features that have been in almost every other game at launch but not this one. They didn't even ship with holidays! I'm not saying this game doesn't have a lot of content, but it feels like a lot of effort maybe went towards a couple specific things in neglect of other stuff. Like, there are what, three, four furniture sets? (not counting diy sets which maybe puts it at like 8).

No Redd (at launch) , no Brewster, no Kapp'n, no art (at launch), no Leif (at launch), no third upgrade to Nooks, not even close to as much house customization... I dunno, every system in the game feels like a step backwards from New Leaf other than the addition of DIYs (edit: oh, nook miles was also a good addition). I dunno, just something I've noticed in my like 400 hours of play time :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Kasyn
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I think the "missing things at launch" is less about being an incomplete shipped game as a hedge against time travelers, and in keeping with the general industry trend of "keep playing! More DLC is coming! Oh, you haven't played in a while, here's an EVENT!"

They're just doing that kind of thing in the most gentle, Animal Crossing way possible. (ie, no paying for it)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    VyolynceCellorifficObiFett
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I wonder how much improvement is coming by way of patches, I've seen so many improvement suggestion videos out there, but also feel like the dev team could have never predicted that animal crossing was going to hit quite this hard. Economically, I can understand why they would be unsure about the lifetime of this switch game compared to the bonafide mobile game, in the before times.

I posted my bug-lid question to reddit and didnt get an answer, so I'm going to say there's not a clear correlation with the lids at the moment. After posting to reddit, I caught an agrias butterfly, which is 3000 with a green lid. So its probably not price based. Only other factor I can really think of might be spawn rate? But I guess I'll have to wait until a bored data miner adds it to a wiki somewhere.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The artistic side of AC:H, and the premise, are fantastic, but oh my gosh all the improvements to be made.

If I had all the money and time and no other job or game I would love to design an actual Modern Game version that would make it feel 10x better without complicating the gameplay much except to let you dig deeper into what's already there.

There are so many little things that are just data points in code that would improve the feel.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    fzbr45t29fq8.jpg

Guess which DuckTales character I am!

physi_marcGONG-00Anti-SeanVyolynceIncenjucarWeX MajorsIrukaElinToxic ToysDonnictonStormwatchersymbolsor
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I honestly believe Nintendo has already created a ton of content and are sitting on it. But it is a little disheartening when I think about all the standard furniture sets from past games that are currently MIA. There are so many! And there was a lot of neat new stuff in Pocket Camp - also nowhere to be found here.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    And yeah, it's weird to say but it really shows that they rushed this game with stuff like that (repetitive dialog). It's a really large game so some of that is understandable of course, but I still feel like a lot of this was them leaning on the fact DLC exists and they can just patch shit in later.

I do think it’s weird to say the game was rushed because I feel like it was anything but rushed. Surely they were working on an Animal Crossing game for Wii U before they finally snuffed out that trash fire and moved the project to Switch. It would make me angry if I knew that all their efforts were going into Amiibo Festival, that useless plaza thing, Happy Home Designer and the mobile game.

Oh god, that IS what happened. They were farting around all that time, weren’t they?

It is literally impossible that they worked on the game the entire time. Or they're insanely incompetent. 90% of the game is copy/pasta from the last one.

I mean, I love it but I love it the way I love garbage junk food. There's so little innovation here.

What is this I don't even.
    So It Goes wrote: »
    fzbr45t29fq8.jpg

Ma Beagle.... no wait that’s dumb. Duckworth. Yeah that’s it. Definitely a duck character.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    KaimakaVyolynce
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    fzbr45t29fq8.jpg

Ma Beagle.... no wait that’s dumb. Duckworth. Yeah that’s it. Definitely a duck character.

Before they suggested a DuckTales character I immediately went to Count Duckula.

Also it's weird to say that this game was rushed because it was explicitly delayed in the first place.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    akjak
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    fzbr45t29fq8.jpg

The best one who isn't from DWD.

• KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    My island is open again with Weber crafting shell arch
    expired
    redundant post is reundant

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Kicks again.

I honestly think my visitor RNG is 100% broken. No way can it be this fucked.

In other news gold trophies for visiting the museum, yay!!!!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    akjak
    edited May 2020
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Also it's weird to say that this game was rushed because it was explicitly delayed in the first place.

I know, but it was delayed "to avoid crunch." Which makes me wonder, did that have an effect on how much they could get done in time? Did they crunch on past AC games and thus were able to add more? (not that I'm condoning that, I just wonder if it happened). Or maybe they were busier this time having to also make/support Splatoon 2 around the same development time? Or maybe just the fact it was HD for the first time impacted how much they could do (which they should be used to by now, but AC does have a lot of rando assets with all the furniture and stuff they need to model from scratch here)

I dunno honestly. It's just a gut feeling I get playing the game, that there are content holes vs older titles...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited May 2020
    I feel they designed this with enough content. If you didn’t have a complete worldwide virus locking everyone in with nothing else to do.

That seems reasonable to me.

Aegeri on
    Stormwatcher
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Kicks again.

I honestly think my visitor RNG is 100% broken. No way can it be this fucked.

In other news gold trophies for visiting the museum, yay!!!!

Saw from datamining that yeah, it is that fucked.

Sat/Sun are locked to KK and Daisy Mae.

3 weekdays are locked to guarantee Leif, Kicks, Saharah.

Leaving 2 weekdays open to rotate through Gulliver, CJ, Flick, Redd, Label. Supposedly, the previous 3 (from that set) should be prioritized, but that hasn’t been my experience.

Celeste and Wisp are both nighttime only, and can appear with any of the above (and even together).

Now, having said all that, I’ve seen screenshots where someone had Saharah, Gulliver, and Celeste on screen together. (and I think I’ve had the same) so WHATEVER.

Further cementing my resolve to TT to Redd each Saturday (so not risking turnips) if he hasn’t appeared.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I honestly believe Nintendo has already created a ton of content and are sitting on it. But it is a little disheartening when I think about all the standard furniture sets from past games that are currently MIA. There are so many! And there was a lot of neat new stuff in Pocket Camp - also nowhere to be found here.

Theyve admitted as much. I do think a slow release is a good idea given people played new leaf for 7 years and they had to rush stuff at the end

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I have concluded something is very wrong with my island. I am getting lief way too frequently for it to be correct. Something now has to be actually broken on my island.

I should, at worst, get him once a week. But I had him three times in one week.

I stuffed something!

Theyve admitted as much. I do think a slow release is a good idea given people played new leaf for 7 years and they had to rush stuff at the end

Ultimately I do appreciate what they’re trying to do. But it’s like the situation when they add classic games on Nintendo Switch Online. It’s not really an exciting event to regain the stuff I once had.

Darth_Mogs
    I have concluded something is very wrong with my island. I am getting lief way too frequently for it to be correct. Something now has to be actually broken on my island.

I stuffed something!

I really think you should have a talk with your partner about swapping islanders. It’s possible that you’re just stalled behind some island progression, and if you’re going to play more then you should be on the Resident Rep person most of the time.

I stuffed something!

Leif is worthless. Upgrade nooks and shove him in there. I dont like bushes at all and I have all the flower types

rndmhero
    Is there any further progression once you get Slider to visit?

Is there any further progression once you get Slider to visit?

Getting 5 star and completeing the various museum tasks mainly

akjak
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Lief should sell one hybrid. Or even seeds that are different genetically than the Nook seeds. That would make him pretty great. Hell, let him assess flowers such that he can tell you the exact genes of a given flower to make hybridization even easier.

King RiptorIncenjucarSo It GoesJacoby
    I mean, it’s possible we get Kicks and Leif so much because they WILL move into nook/able at some point. Probably gated by how much we spend with them, like the other nook/able upgrades.

Same with Label. She’s doing Gracie’s job, so I assume we’ll also someday get the “high-end boutique” from her too.

Vyolynce
    akjak wrote: »
    I mean, it’s possible we get Kicks and Leif so much because they WILL move into nook/able at some point. Probably gated by how much we spend with them, like the other nook/able upgrades.

Same with Label. She’s doing Gracie’s job, so I assume we’ll also someday get the “high-end boutique” from her too.

Yeah I want to say this is gated behind another arbitrary time and/or cash window but that'd just be idle speculation based on nothing but hope.

We're stuck now, and it's definitely a problem, but it doesn't feel like a permanent one. Although I will say if there's a minimum purchase requirement from Leif and/or Kicks that's a separate issue because as stated their inventories are trash.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    King Riptorrndmhero
    I could almost like Label. She’s cute and her fashion challenges could be fun..... but there’s really nothing to them. So far she’s said every outfit I’ve put together is perfect and I don’t feel like I was trying very hard. I remember Gracie’s visits being considerably more challenging. On top of that, Label’s rewards haven’t blown my skirt up one bit. CJ’s challenges aren’t much of a challenge either. At least there some challenge to tracking down Flick because he always seems to be on the move.

Yeah, the visitors are officially lame.

Darkewolfe

Yeah I want to say this is gated behind another arbitrary time and/or cash window but that'd just be idle speculation based on nothing but hope.

We're stuck now, and it's definitely a problem, but it doesn't feel like a permanent one. Although I will say if there's a minimum purchase requirement from Leif and/or Kicks that's a separate issue because as stated their inventories are trash.

Kicks has 2 pairs of shoes like 6 socks and then 400 handbags and like dude I just want shoes. Backpacks dont do anything. Nobody can see socks 80 pwrfent of the time and Abels has 12 pairs at any given time

Vyolynce
    Nobody can see socks 80 pwrfent of the time

Honestly this is a sub-problem of my personal issue that most of the fashion options in this game* seem aimed at the ladies (and those who present that way). Which isn't necessarily a real problem, considering how often that population gets outright ignored in this industry. I think I maybe notice it more than other guys since I don't wear shorts so there are even fewer options for me? It's not like my fashion tastes are that deep either...

Eh it's 6am and I'm rambling while I wait for my daughter to go back to sleep so I can do the same.

*Series, really, at least since they offered more than just shirts and hats. Pocket Camp was especially bad for this. So many fortune cookies or events giving out dresses and nothing else...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    I have a bunch of guy clothes but my villager is in skirts most of the time yeah. Its a real male pokemon trainer/male inkling is doofy problem

edited May 2020

Kicks has 2 pairs of shoes like 6 socks and then 400 handbags and like dude I just want shoes. Backpacks dont do anything. Nobody can see socks 80 pwrfent of the time and Abels has 12 pairs at any given time

Honestly the bags are the only worthwhile thing he sells to me, and even there I'm starting to get to a point where I've bought all of them. He has like six sets of shoes he cycles through and like three sets of socks? Most of them aren't even good IMO. There's like some power boot kinda things, weirdo wooden clog type shoes, slippers, mage shoes, balarina shoes, cat paws and that's like it. And those don't seem to even come in that many colors. Socks are like, kiddie socks, garter socks and sequin leggings..

For that matter, it's been AGES since I've seen a new shoe or sock at Ables. I feel like those two in general kinda got shafted. (not that the older games really had a selection either I think... Kicks is like new to New Leaf)

Warlock82 on
    akjak
    The other thing is he doesnt sell them in other colors. I have the black power armor but he only ever has the red shoes

Vyolynce
    edited May 2020
    For that matter, it's been AGES since I've seen a new shoe or sock at Ables. I feel like those two in general kinda got shafted. (not that the older games really had a selection either I think... Kicks is like new to New Leaf)

I wonder if they have seasonal inventory.

Probably not, given that we're getting ski wear and parkas in May.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • ShubNiggurathShubNiggurath Arkham, MARegistered User regular
    The other thing is he doesnt sell them in other colors. I have the black power armor but he only ever has the red shoes

I've got the black power boots cataloged if you'd like me to mail you a pair.

High Priestess Ubb of the island of Yhe Abyss
    VillagerDB Wish List
    Toxic ToysKing RiptorDark Raven X
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular

I've got the black power boots cataloged if you'd like me to mail you a pair.

I would love to take you up on that offer if I may.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Speaking of Power items, I have the helmets today in Abel's if anyone is looking for them. Zap suits too. I'd be happy to open up if there is interest.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • ShubNiggurathShubNiggurath Arkham, MARegistered User regular
    @Ken O I am looking for zap suits!

@King Riptor What's your AC name/island name? I'll check if you're on my mail list. I know I've got Toxic

High Priestess Ubb of the island of Yhe Abyss
    VillagerDB Wish List
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Firehammer is open for your zap suit pleasure.
    Dodo Code C1F27

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    @Ken O I am looking for zap suits!

@King Riptor What's your AC name/island name? I'll check if you're on my mail list. I know I've got Toxic

Im Jason on Appleton. I know you've visited

Ken O wrote: »
    Firehammer is open for your zap suit pleasure.
    Dodo Code C1F27

Wow, Snake is making a Pitfall Seed! First time I've seen someone crafting that