As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Quarantine [chat] Thread

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I used a pharmaceutical excursion as a pretext for breakfast meat and visiting my parents and my mother was delighted that her comfort package reached my nephews and it made her day and my niece was kind of in a huffy mood because she's in the terrible twos and I also discovered I shall be related to a Coronial in December or so so that's cool today wasn't awful.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Eddy just posted his tweet in chat verbatim! Or visa versa!

Are we testing grounds for your tweets

This motherfucker is either workshopping or double dipping his social media dopamine hits.

I test market here sometimes before rolling out my content to irl group texts

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I’m craving breakfast meats

I've been trying to keep my breakfast intake to a single Jimmy Deans sandwich (and a pair of waffles) for the last bit.

Last grocery run, I got the croissants instead of the biscuits. I know the only difference is that fake croissant, but man are they no where near as good as the biscuits.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    it is a lovely rainy morning

also I need to get some new shoes, these knit upper running shoes lead to quickly soggy socks

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
    Athenor wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    I’m craving breakfast meats

I've been trying to keep my breakfast intake to a single Jimmy Deans sandwich (and a pair of waffles) for the last bit.

Last grocery run, I got the croissants instead of the biscuits. I know the only difference is that fake croissant, but man are they no where near as good as the biscuits.

I’m an English muffin girl myself

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Eddy wrote: »
    I need to be heard!!!
    oh you humans will be heard or should I say herd or should I say herded

wandering on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I genuinely don't understand what the consumer appeal of Google pay (or Apple pay, for that matter) is meant to be

Of course, it could be that there isn't one, and the whole space is just a fight between various payment processors as to who gets the transaction fee

i can pay over the contactless limit with great convenience

pulling out my wallet and then my card and then putting it in the machine and then whoops it didn't work so you take the card out and wipe the chip and then maybe it'll work if you hold the machine a certain way is really awful

Hmm

Maybe I just don't buy enough stuff in person over the contactless limit

The only thing I can think of offhand is big supermarket shops

i pay for lunches, the weekly shop and any online orders with apple pay

also i prefer it to the card for smaller purchases since i probably have my phone in my hand if i'm queueing for something anyway

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Eddy just posted his tweet in chat verbatim! Or visa versa!

Are we testing grounds for your tweets

This motherfucker is either workshopping or double dipping his social media dopamine hits.

I test market here sometimes before rolling out my content to irl group texts

Oh I keep a few gold ones in my back pocket too, but Eddy got caught.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    I need to be heard!!!
    oh you humans will be heard or should I say herd or should I say herded

they will be schooled

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My primary use for Apple Pay is for paying or being paid by other individuals, rather than companies. Used like Venmo.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    My primary use for Apple Pay is for paying or being paid by other individuals, rather than companies. Used like Venmo.

But this is why we have bitcoin

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

I typically just bank transfer for that

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Why the fuck does Google have about a dozen different services that could all plausibly fill the same function?

In addition to my opinions above, Google, specifically, had an early culture of 80/20 where 20% of your time was working on an interesting side project. This worked out really well, honestly, back in the 00s, when that kind of investment allowed them to accelerate into spaces that expanded their core advertising platform, but in a huge monolithic company like it is now - even with the Alphabet restructuring - the policy interacts with the toxic Tech Bro mind to produce many competing identical services as egos with Masters or PhDs clash.

This couldn't be more wrong. Almost nobody does this anymore and it is flat out impossible to launch a product without a substantial full time team on it and exec support

Just blaming "toxic tech bros" is missing the point. They keep changing their mind about what to build, and it doesn't really matter if they succeed or not. Plus you make a new chat app, get promoted and move on in a few years
    Let's use open protocols! -> gchat
    Let's not so we can move faster! -> hangouts, old
    Let's use a new backend so we can add more features eventually! -> hangouts, new
    Let's use phone numbers as ids! -> Allo, duo
    Hangouts, new sucks and its backend sucks! -> chat

Do you need their account info for this?

Do you need their account info for this?

Yes, but once they're set up you can just reuse the payee

I have a bunch of people I work with set up, for instance, for splitting food bills

• UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    there's no way Duo still exists

Yup my girlfriend asked me to install it

It's the default video calling application, at least on Pixels.

No the weird thing is that Allo still exists.

Haven't found the British airmen I guess...

Someone in my city put up a big sign saying ‘send China the bill’

🤔

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

🤔

We're gonna get sick and make china pay for it!

edited April 2020

🤔

a british newspaper suggested this in earnest last month

all of ireland just stared straight into the camera

Tav on
    Oh god I didn’t know this was an established slogan. What is the bill for?

edited April 2020
    Maybe it’s an artifact of our national banking cultures but I can think of a lot of people in my life who if I wanted to send them ten bucks for lunch and said ok give me your account number and routing number- they would be super uncomfortable

Organichu on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I personally find google drive to be immensely useful

We use it at EchoCorp and it's great for sharing documents and shit.

It is however Where Documents Go To Die once things are actually written.

damages from starting and allegedly downplaying the virus

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

In conservative circles they are trying to find a way to blame China for the virus and then sue them or something.

I mean sovereign immunity is a thing and all though so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

u7stthr17eud.png
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I started watching Bridget and Eamon and it's pretty funny.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

while yes it is horrible and being spouted by racist shitheads, i do find the idea of sending a bill to the very first person who got it very funny

"alright your total amount owed is *checks notes* one trillion dollars. Do you have that available or do you want to set up a repayment scheme or...?"

The sovereign citizen known as Organichu’s immune system wants its day in court

Maybe it’s an artifact of our national banking cultures but I can think of a lot of people in my life who if I wanted to send them ten bucks for lunch and said ok give me your account number and routing number- they would be super uncomfortable

Huh. It's pretty routine here. It's the same details that would be printed on a cheque back when they were used.

To my knowledge the only way you could use it to extract money from an account would be through setting up a direct debit, for which you would also need other personal information. Only organisations can actually set them up, though, and the consumer protection legislation around them is such that of they are set up fraudulently you get the money back, immediately, with the burden of proof on the organisation to demonstrate it wasn't fraud.

So you couldn't like, transfer money out of an account

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

In conservative circles they are trying to find a way to blame China for the virus and then sue them or something.

The conspiracy theory is the virus escaped from a lab in China. If the virus came from eating exotic animals bought from a wet market, the CCP can laugh off claims of responsibility. "Oh, well, you know how wacky peasants are. Not our fault." If the virus came from a Chinese research installation, they will have to break out their checkbooks for reparations.

Huh. It's pretty routine here. It's the same details that would be printed on a cheque back when they were used.

To my knowledge the only way you could use it to extract money from an account would be through setting up a direct debit, for which you would also need other personal information. Only organisations can actually set them up, though, and the consumer protection legislation around them is such that of they are set up fraudulently you get the money back, immediately, with the burden of proof on the organisation to demonstrate it wasn't fraud.

I don’t know what infrastructure is in place. But despite that information being present on a check, it’s only ever really requested by businesses.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    im watching a man complain that armor in DnD is unrealistic.

He doesn't like the idea of studded leather being good armor.

and im just like......

"What if the leather and the studs are super mildly enchanted?"

Like, okay, you're in a setting where magic is real, wouldn't it be trivial for a wizard to, like, enchant thousands of little metal studs to be used in armormaking? And then sell them (fairly cheap since they're fairly easy to make)? And no one mentions is because most people don't care how armor is made and because enchanted studs are just........ a super basic fact of life like how we have straws in every fastfood restaurant.

I think there's a fundamental problem if you look at fantasy settings and think "This isn't realistic and it would be better if it were"...

LIKE............ YEAH, sure, maybe you and other historians would enjoy the realism more but that doesn't make it objectively better.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Leather armor is just a bad idea from the get go

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

I don’t know what infrastructure is in place. But despite that information being present on a check, it’s only ever really requested by businesses.

i mean the larger issue is that even with that information you can't fucking do the transfer here

sig.gif
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

and im just like......

Like, okay, you're in a setting where magic is real, wouldn't it be trivial for a wizard to, like, enchant thousands of little metal studs to be used in armormaking? And then sell them (fairly cheap since they're fairly easy to make)? And no one mentions is because most people don't care how armor is made and because enchanted studs are just........ a super basic fact of life like how we have straws in every fastfood restaurant.

I think there's a fundamental problem if you look at fantasy settings and think "This isn't realistic and it would be better if it were"...

LIKE............ YEAH, sure, maybe you and other historians would enjoy the realism more but that doesn't make it objectively better.

why are you watching this man tho

sig.gif
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

What if a wizard did it?

and im just like......

why are you watching this man tho

i only watched half the video and it was in the front page recommendations.

So to answer your question, I'm not.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
    Presuming counterfactuals doesn't invalidate the original assumption

"Yes but what if..." is presuming a whole different situation than the one the original person is discussing

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    edited April 2020
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The conspiracy theory is the virus escaped from a lab in China. If the virus came from eating exotic animals bought from a wet market, the CCP can laugh off claims of responsibility. "Oh, well, you know how wacky peasants are. Not our fault." If the virus came from a Chinese research installation, they will have to break out their checkbooks for reparations.

a) You personally aren't entertaining the conspiracy, right, that last sentence is just an artifact of phrasing?
    b) I don't think they would have to break out their checkbooks. What if it were true and proven and they just... didn't?
    c) Do we think the CCP actually bears responsibility for covid for reasons related to wet markets?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif

i mean the larger issue is that even with that information you can't fucking do the transfer here

that doesn't matter to people, it still reeks of scam especially when there's a bunch of other services (venmo, cashapp etc) that do it without asking for what people consider sensitive info

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    what if my D&D character is a leather daddy

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.