As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Thread where we STAY ALIVE

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've never liked Nicholson's Joker, personally

The Burton films just don't work for me though, on the whole

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Last night I finally watched Mission Impossible: Fallout.

It was quite good!

I didn't particularly like Rogue Nation, but Fallout felt a lot like a combination of the first & fourth film.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not much for them Burton movies, I have a soft spot for Beetlejuice due almost entirely to Michael Keaton, the role is a weird capering pervert demon and by god he capers like a weird pervert demon

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I really love Michael Keaton's weirdo Bruce Wayne

And of course "Bruce Wayne? Why are you dressed like Batman?"

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    During a battle with Catwoman, Michael Keaton's Batman hurls a capsule of napalm at her.

His Batman is terrifying.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    In my Jean Arthur marathon, I’m realizing how few memorable big romantic kisses I can think of in recent film history. In those romantic screwballs the kiss was often the payoff (sometimes literally the last shot, like in Mr Deeds Goes to Town which is a great smooch), and it seemed like there was a Hollywood contest to see who could get the best smooches on screen.

Once it’s safe for actors to smooch in movies again, they should bring that kind of attention to detail. They’ve been slacking for years (decades?).

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I've never seen the Burton batmen

My first Batman was forever

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

fd1852948dcffb97a0b849a2377df6cc.jpg

It really is the most comic Joker we've had on film. It's not a bad setup either as one who is already a sociopathic killer, an innate talent for chemistry, but has a passion for art.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Still the only Joker close to the comic incarnation. I'm amazed they got Nicholson to do a comic book movie at that time. I mean I'm sure the money helped convince him.

except that they made the Joker also Joe Chill for some reason, that was weird

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I don’t really think there is much of anything in the Nicholson performance that is particularly comics accurate. I get why some people like him but that particular take is confusing to me.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Like many other actors who have donned the role, Jack Nicholson plays a solid Black Mask

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    jack nicholson plays jack nicholson

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Soul Plane!

I love that movie haha

when I was a kid I thought "black comedy" referred to movies like this and every time I encountered the phrase I would be like "man I don't think it's okay to call things that" and to this day there's probably some confused friend of my dad who thought it was super weird that some kid got judgey about Coen films

Shorty on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    My grandma got me Batman bedsheets when I was like 4.
    They had a giant glow in the dark Nicholson Joker face on the pillow.

As you can imagine, I was terrified of Batman stuff until I was like 10-12

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    jack nicholson plays jack nicholson

Yeah but this one is chaotic evil Jack Nicholson

Normally he's more like, neutral evil Jack Nicholson

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Nicholson’s Joker suffers from “cool vampire” syndrome. Just because some suave, kinky motherfucker with sharp teeth swapped blood with you doesn’t mean that you’re suddenly a suave, kinky motherfucker. Similarly, Jack Napier getting bathed in chemicals doesn't mean he's suddenly the Joker. It didn't work for me as a ten year old kid, and it still doesn't work for me now. Napier was a cold, calculated psycho. He wasn't "funny." He didn't seem to have a sense of humor at all. I don't buy that seeing his face after the work done by the "surgeon" was enough to break him like that.

That said, Nicholson was perfectly fine in the role they gave him.

Random thought: damn was it weird being a kid seeing this in the theater and having Kim Basinger act like she was about to go down on Joker. I had an absurd number of feelings going on, and they boiled down to "this is weird, and I like it, but I'm weirded out by it, and my mom is right there..."

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Brad Dourif and Willem Dafoe are two actors Hollywood loves to cast as villains but that I like better as good guys

chz4pjcjrgzf.jpg

sf5bhtj685kx.jpg

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    Nicholson’s Joker suffers from “cool vampire” syndrome. Just because some suave, kinky motherfucker with sharp teeth swapped blood with you doesn’t mean that you’re suddenly a suave, kinky motherfucker. Similarly, Jack Napier getting bathed in chemicals doesn't mean he's suddenly the Joker. It didn't work for me as a ten year old kid, and it still doesn't work for me now. Napier was a cold, calculated psycho. He wasn't "funny." He didn't seem to have a sense of humor at all. I don't buy that seeing his face after the work done by the "surgeon" was enough to break him like that.

That said, Nicholson was perfectly fine in the role they gave him.

Random thought: damn was it weird being a kid seeing this in the theater and having Kim Basinger act like she was about to go down on Joker. I had an absurd number of feelings going on, and they boiled down to "this is weird, and I like it, but I'm weirded out by it, and my mom is right there..."

jack napier eh?

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    White Sands is a Willem Defoe good guy movie and it is so weird.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Willem DeFoe is the good guy in the Sam Raimi Spider-Man.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Remember how Jack Nicholson went on to work with Tim Burton again on Mars Attacks! Where he plays two entirely separate roles for absolutely no reason?

Love
    It

Still one my favorite PotUSs in film:

https://youtu.be/VakU20APPdw

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Action comedy buddy detective film with Willem Dafoe, Steve Buscemi, and Michael Shannon as three kinda-nice-if-you-get-to-know-them not-cops that keep getting profiled as different types of bad guys in an action movie during their line of work (corrupt guy on the take, serial killer, secret supremacist, not-so-secret supremacist, that guy in the homeowners association, etc).

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Action comedy buddy detective film with Willem Dafoe, Steve Buscemi, and Michael Shannon as three kinda-nice-if-you-get-to-know-them not-cops that keep getting profiled as different types of bad guys in an action movie during their line of work (corrupt guy on the take, serial killer, secret supremacist, not-so-secret supremacist, that guy in the homeowners association, etc).

Toss in Eric Roberts?

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Toss in Eric Roberts?

He's their first suspect, that gets roped into all the hijinks. Totally for-real nice guy, fun to have around, just has this really sinister laugh.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Brad Dourif and Willem Dafoe are two actors Hollywood loves to cast as villains but that I like better as good guys

chz4pjcjrgzf.jpg

Dourif in Deadwood is a perfect way of getting both your daily recommended dose of 'very Dourif', and also 'good guy'.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Hm Hunt for the Wilderpeople was absolutely the warm blanket of a movie I needed.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Hm Hunt for the Wilderpeople was absolutely the warm blanket of a movie I needed.

That coupled with me finding Fantastic Mr Fox on Disney+ means I've got a mood booster double feature ready to go any time I need it.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Man Mars Attacks! was my jam as a kid. I should probably revisit it. I always forget Jack Black and Pierce Brosnan are in it but then I hyper forget Michael J Fox is there too. It's a cast list that gives and gives.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople is the only film that need survive the apacolypse.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Man, I just watched Ready or Not last night and it was absolutely a blast. And yup, that last line was phenomenal.

• Options
    Oh fuck Pam Grier is in this too I thought that was my brain just confusing things. Natalie Portman plays a first daughter named Taffy. This was a good choice.

• Options
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2020
    I guess he’d like twenty million dollars too

Tube on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I assume that he wouldn't really need much of anything just to re-cut the film, but while the cut Joker/Harley material looked more interesting, a re-edit wouldn't fix the generally atrocious and misguided designs of Joker and Harley (Harley's outfit not withstanding because that's become a pretty iconic outfit now but the fucking face tattoos...). Also depends who's idea it was to introduce everyone with an on-the-nose song and just bullet points.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    His first cut would be to remove the double introduction to the characters.

The biggest problem in the movie is the villain is a bad matchup for the Suicide Squad and Amanda Waller makes s lot of dumb decisions. The characters were all cast well and had good interplay. I also think Joker doesn't need to be in the movie.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    Man, I just watched Ready or Not last night and it was absolutely a blast. And yup, that last line was phenomenal.

Last night I tried to post this almost word for word and it wouldn't let me, so I drank and played games and went to bed.

I just did a triple take being like wait did I drunkenly make a new account to post how much I liked it?!

Awesome movie, glad I wasn't the only one enjoying it last night!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I guess he’d like twenty million dollars too

I'll recut any movie you want for a cool 5 mil.

Think of the savings!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
This discussion has been closed.