As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Thread where we STAY ALIVE

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I recently rewatched hard boiled and something like 300 civilians just get brutally and casually shot. Like every 30 seconds a couple of people will be shot

As a kid it didn’t bother me but something about it now, having grown up with mass shootings, it just rubbed me the wrong way. I don’t hold it against the film as it’s very much of its time, just struck me how much I noticed it now

Also everyone’s pistol holds like 400 rounds and reloading hasn’t been invented yet

Prohass on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I am watching Stargate for Blank Check this week

This is just complete nonsense, huh

I do like that the generic (cocking gun) sound effect has been used like 10 times already

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    My favourite expression of Hong Kong action movie berserkitude is how many people get shot in the guts, Chow Yun Fat shooting some dude in the guts with dual pistols like crazy

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I am watching Stargate for Blank Check this week

This is just complete nonsense, huh

I do like that the generic (cocking gun) sound effect has been used like 10 times already

The most prominent impression and memory from the film Stargate, as opposed to the TV series, is that Kurt Russell's Colonel Jack O'Neil is grim serious.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I have very fond memories of Stargate, but I also haven't seen it since I was 12 or something. I'm not sure if I should go back

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I have very fond memories of Stargate, but I also haven't seen it since I was 12 or something. I'm not sure if I should go back

it's pretty good!

• Options
    3352.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=2b5d7cb05d18341ab9a14dc73a3d1c01
    doing this to Kurt Russell's hair should be illegal

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love Stargate. Saw it in the theater twice!

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have some Stargate action figures! They are suitably ripped.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Kurt Russell looking a lot like Guile there

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea Stargate is great. Heck I might have to watch it this weekend.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I once watched stargate at a bar with the sound off and when you watch it that way it seems like it's about kurt russell and james spader getting married and going on a honeymoon

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I once watched stargate at a bar with the sound off and when you watch it that way it seems like it's about kurt russell and james spader getting married and going on a honeymoon

I mean

• Options
    they gaze lovingly into each other's eyes an awful lot

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I wonder if you could get Russell and Spader to do new audio from home people could dub over the movie to make that a reality.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    my brother and i are watching the eric bana hulk for the first time and it is,, An Experience,,,,

gmjsl3m9r0wa.jpg
    t76kgv46vjj2.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Ang Lee was definitely trying to create the comics experience on the screen. Sometimes it works and sometimes it...doesn’t so much.

• Options
    oh no it's G A M M A D O G S

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I still kind of love the use of panels in that film, even if it can be a little bit disorienting. If there was a way to somehow do that thing where a character's name shows up as the title font from their book he would have 100% have done it and it would have ruled.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Watching Uncut Gems on Netflix, this is a gross ass title sequence

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

The oddest part to me is how young James Spader looks then versus how he looks now

Heck he looks older in Less Than Zero and that came out 7 years before

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Watched Contagion last night and uhhh... yeah it hits different!

The best scene is still right after Matt Damon's wife dies and he's just like "oh okay, when can I talk to her"

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I liked the scene where Demetri Martin was analyzing the structure of the virus and he brought out his whiteboard to do some anagrams.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Maybe I'm naive here but would a pawn shop really take that ring? It's extremely obviously stolen which is a big problem for such a high profile item...

• Options
    Maybe I'm naive here but would a pawn shop really take that ring? It's extremely obviously stolen which is a big problem for such a high profile item...
    most would not

uncut gems is a movie about the worst possible decisions

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hey folks

Don't fuckin use Deadline or cite or share their news

They decided it would be a good idea to cover the LA protests by describing them as the police being attacked by protestors

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    most would not

uncut gems is a movie about the worst possible decisions

Good Time and Uncut Gems are the only Safdie movies I have seen.

The stories basically have a starting point but then are driven forward by the main character making the worst possible decision available to them, so long as it doesn't bring the story to the end.

The exception being of course whatever that final choice is.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Uncut Gems was pretty good. Adam Sandler being married to Elsa is pretty wild, though

• Options
    I watched the lovebirds tonight

All the good scenes were in the trailer

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Uncut Gems was pretty good. Adam Sandler being married to Elsa is pretty wild, though

So talented, but she looks like Salma Hayek and Lockjaw's love child. And I'm here for that.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

I guess just to add to this, it was a movie that follows almost exactly the same formula as Game Night, but with an actively bad supporting cast, and maybe two funny jokes

there are exactly two good scenes, at the beginning and end, where Issa Rae and Kumail Nanjiani are just riffing off each other, and they have a ton of chemistry, and then it turns into a different movie entirely and I felt like I was sold a bill of goods

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Remember that Youtube film festival I posted about and how it was starting this week

I've already seen one of my fav films of the year on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r713MM-dJMg

Getting to experience a Wakaliwood action film for free is already one thing. The fact that the film is directed by greatest living Ugandan action director Nabwana IGG, had live narration from a VJ, has a villain wearing an iPod shuffle around his neck, and has a legit fun and chaotic 1) fight scene and 2) plot twist within the first 18 minutes? A bonus

65 minutes long. Available for free for five more days of the festival. The only thing crazier than Crazy World would be missing out on this experience

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I guess just to add to this, it was a movie that follows almost exactly the same formula as Game Night, but with an actively bad supporting cast, and maybe two funny jokes

there are exactly two good scenes, at the beginning and end, where Issa Rae and Kumail Nanjiani are just riffing off each other, and they have a ton of chemistry, and then it turns into a different movie entirely and I felt like I was sold a bill of goods

Absolutely agree. I was in for that movie, but then thought oh wait it's Game Night.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Atari SoulAtari Soul Registered User regular
    I've been jonesing for the Friends at the Table holiday special to be released. Any recommendations for an actual-play podcast that uses the same system (or a Blades in the Dark system)?

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Between Glory and Last Samurai, Edward Zwick is real good at threading the needle for movies that could real easily be white savior tales, isn't he?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Today I decided to rewatch League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, a movie that I have a lot of conflicting memories regarding.

It came out when I was thirteen, before I'd read the comics (which are problematic in their own right) or honestly most of the source materials for the characters. I believe I liked it when I saw it in theaters, but later I read the books and criticism about it and decided that it was terrible, as is the way of many things I enjoyed as a teenager. But I also never watched it again - I made that decision based entirely on my memory of it.

Anyways, I went back and watched it to see where it actually falls for me. It's pretty bad! It has some fun enough parts, but overall it's not worth it.

• Options
    it's the end of the month, so it is once again that time where I do a mad dash to scoop up all the stuff leaving the Criterion Channel that I need to watch

so I'm watching On the Waterfront, the first thing I've ever seen with Marlon Brando in it (no, I haven't seen the one you're thinking of that everyone's seen, no I haven't seen that other one, either)

and Brando is kinda not what I expected, I thought the younger him would be more like Jame Dean with some marque idol looks, but he's fairly stocky and his hairline is bad, makes him feel like more of a person than a movie star

anyway my main issue with this movie is I'm having trouble reconciling how much I'm enjoying it with the meta level of it's definitely Elia Kazan trying to sooth his soul for ratting on people to Joe McCarthy

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen COULD have been so cool. Like literary Avengers.

I never read the comic, but I remember legitimately thinking the whole Mina thing was a great idea.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the comic is good but also weird and makes a bunch of references I don't understand

so, pretty typical Alan Moore fare

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The comic is weird and flawed.

I was very fond of it when I first read it. I mean, the idea of it is very my shit, I'm a pretentious asshole who has read a bunch of gothic novels and studied history in college, and the book is full of both overt and subtle references there. It also gets extremely up its own ass with that, including plot twists you might not realize are twists if you didn't just get home from a production of Threepenny Opera. On top of that, it has a bunch of sex stuff, in... increasing levels of grossness. Which describes Alan Moore's career as a whole, honestly.

Overall they're not something I would recommend without heavy caveats and content warnings. I still bear them a lasting fondness, and they're probably my favorite Alan Moore work, all told (I do not like Alan Moore very much though). But they're deeply flawed, and since then I've experienced plenty of media playing with similar ideas that didn't feel the need to include any edgy sexual assault.

Straightzi on
This discussion has been closed.