As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thread of [Mana]

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'm on a Mana kick so I found my Vita and booted up Legend of Mana.

Reading anything about Tempering makes me want to die. Is there a guide to like, make a basically OK weapon that can get me through the game without grinding out tons of materials?

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I'm on a Mana kick so I found my Vita and booted up Legend of Mana.

Reading anything about Tempering makes me want to die. Is there a guide to like, make a basically OK weapon that can get me through the game without grinding out tons of materials?

You don't even need to temper to beat the game. I beat it on all difficulties in Japanese with store bought weapons with no problems.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    H3KnucklesLucedes
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Riesz has decided to vigorously remind me that i have a lot of cash (67k and some change at Lampbloom woods) and that i should really consider spending some.

Every - SINGLE - Fight

We are not lacking for funds we should buy supplies for the journey.

It's even worse in NG+

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    El Fantasticocaptaink
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Haha, my team’s a good bit past 38 now, and I have all of 2 ??? seeds. Probably going to be near 50 by the time I get enoug seeds to guarantee the jobs I want.

Which, amusingly, is still faster than it was in the original; level ups happen faster in this one, so I’m at the level I was at with the 8th benevodon after clearing the first one.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Haha, my team’s a good bit past 38 now, and I have all of 2 ??? seeds. Probably going to be near 50 by the time I get enoug seeds to guarantee the jobs I want.

Which, amusingly, is still faster than it was in the original; level ups happen faster in this one, so I’m at the level I was at with the 8th benevodon after clearing the first one.

There's a chest with a ??? seed before any enemies in the wood benevodon area if you haven't grabbed that one. All the benevodons except wind and dark have a chest with one, that one's just stupid easy to grab.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I’ll go for that, then. Maybe I’ll get absurdly lucky and get what I want with 3 seeds.

edited May 2020
    Yeah, my last playthrough I did moon and light clears, and just ducked into fire, water, and wood to snatch the seed chests while running from enemies. Then went back when I could laugh and melt things with Kevin and Charlotte's CS3s.

Sage CS3 is honestly hilarious. Her staff just drops down and explodes like a nuke.

Polaritie on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    if you want good tempering advice in Legend of Mana, the best advice is don't do it, it's totally unnecessary.

the second-best advice is to farm elemental coins and slam them into a good weapon (gold or platinum) late in the game, making sure you don't have any elements that eat each other. (pick two elements across from each other in the four-element cycle, and one of each opposed pair).

the worst advice is to look up the detailed FAQ posted on gamefaqs, learn the mechanics behind the arcane and terrible process, and after many hours of reading, grinding dragon steaks and gold coins in mekiv caverns with the tree of mana next to it, and a full hour of tempering in precise sequences while checking stats and saving periodically, make yourself an 800-power 2-handed sword the likes of which GAWD HIMSELF has never seen.

it was a pretty sweet sword, though.

H3Knuckleslionheart_mDisruptedCapitalist
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    It's even worse in NG+

My NG+ was with Angela and I enjoyed her delivery of "Let's spend some of that *hard earned money*" enough to never be bothered by it.

Viskod on
    lionheart_m
    I have found Kevin's 'too much money' bark to be the most annoying one.

Polaritie
    captaink wrote: »
    I have found Kevin's 'too much money' bark to be the most annoying one.

That one just bothers me conceptually. Mintas clearly has shops.

captaink
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    "Beastmen don't need money.

What's a "buy"?

The worst.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

I feel like in general Kevin got the short end of the stick voice acting wise in general.

He's not in my party and sounded fine in the first interaction with him but later on he showed up and the voice acting for him was atrocious

I think he’s fine. The direction seems to have been that he’s unused to talking, due to spending so much of his formative years alone with Karl. And I think it works; he doesn’t sound dumb, more like he’s not sure of his words. I think it works better then the fan translation, in any case.

Polaritie
    I think he’s fine. The direction seems to have been that he’s unused to talking, due to spending so much of his formative years alone with Karl. And I think it works; he doesn’t sound dumb, more like he’s not sure of his words. I think it works better then the fan translation, in any case.

I think it could have been dialed back a bit - more complete sentence grammar, but still awkward pauses?

Think i might be a little over leveled
    Just killed Dolan my first benevodon and trying to get ??? Seeds had a whole 2 drop and i'm level 45

I'll say it again, don't farm them just loot the chests.

Heh. I think I need to do that and change class. Mispolm kicked my ass.

Yeah i went to fifty and got a whole five seeds i'm done grinding

Every benebodon dungeon has a chest with an ??? Seed in it. The one in Woods of Wandara appears before you see any enemies.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I got a few seeds off silver werewolves

I recall farming the light benevodon area because of the next door town, but

I did get Duran's Hero Armor out of a random seed

Trying to decide between Kevin's final Dark classes. They're fairly simple beat-up jobs, so I suppose the choice is between Moon Saber (HP drain) or Moon Energy (Crit-rate bonus). The latter would work nicely with the Broken Lines ability that can reduce the target's defense when delivering a crit. The former would be just plain good all the time, but I do have Charlotte's healing magic.

Also, I don't know if Suzaku Sky Dance does as much of an area hit as Seiryuu Strike. They were full-screen techs in the original, but AOEs aren't quite the same in this one.

Seiryuu Strike has a monstrous AoE and was very welcome on my last run, I can say that much.

Cool. That might be my pick. For Angela, I’m going with Magus (and boy howdy am I glad for the costume swap option, lol), because of that awesome meteor spell she can learn. Plus, Hot Shot is a hilarious class strike; it turns her staff into a machine gun.

Charlotte’s tricky. I can go with the salt bottle I already have, for the job that has the “lower all stats” spell, or wait until I can get the blood bottle so she can learn the giant demon summon. I think the former will work best; Angela has plenty of big magic attacks to contribute, and my team doesn’t really have any stat manipulation at the moment. But that may just be me not wanting to wait for more seeds, haha.

Yeah, the Magus outfit is terrible.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Between Riesz and Angela, Riesz gets MORE armor as she upgrades classes? Angela gets this as her 4th Dark class.

99e0wa1u5rc2.jpeg

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

H3Knuckles
    edited May 2020
    Which, hilariously, still looks way better than Magus. Will probably stick to her second job costume, though.

Enlong on
    H3Knuckles
    Riesz's dark 4th class isn't any better. It's a real shame, because her Dark/Light has good full armor going on.

H3Knuckles
    For both Riesz and Angela Dark apparently means less clothes.

Ok, the class strike for Charlotte’s Necromancer is hilarious. It’s just a cartoon-style Big Ball Of Violence.

H3Knuckles
    Ok, the class strike for Charlotte’s Necromancer is hilarious. It’s just a cartoon-style Big Ball Of Violence.

*takes notes*

Rune Seer class strike is also cartoony delight. Literally she just summons a 10t weight and drops it. Edelfrei's class strike is just disgusting though. Gargantuan line AoE that hits tons of times. This party may not have any healing but it's mulching enemies pretty well now.

Got the class change at only level 41 too, only moon benevodon dead. (Picked up the chests in wood, fire, ice, and cleared moon with one drop because lol +15% drop rate from Hawkeye).

H3Knuckles
    edited May 2020
    Speaking of disgusting class strikes, Seiryuu Strike is a super monstrous AOE attack, as advertised. But what’s really disgusting is Kevin’s class strike-related skills. With Payback and Payback II equipped, Seiryuu Strike requires 300 CS meter to use, but only actually costs a little over 200. And if I’ve got Victory CS boost and Victory CS Boost II equipped and hit a big enough pack, Kevin can start the battle with 300 meter, blast the whole pack with Seiryuu Strike, and end the battle comfortably over 200.

Kevin may not have any damage spells, but he doesn’t really need any, the way he’s going.

Enlong on
    H3Knuckles
    I still think Riesz has the most disgusting CS gain skill. 15% per enemy per cast of debuff spells, for a single slot.

Oh wow. That’s pretty amazing. Kevin does eventually get one in Fatal Fist that boosts his meter by 7% every time he takes damage, but that Reisz one is amazing.

I wonder if her light classes get anything similar for buffing allies.

Wow. Land Umber was a chump compared to Mispolm.

lionheart_m
    Wow. Land Umber was a chump compared to Mispolm.

The second half of the game is VERY easy if you get Class 3 early.

Yeah, but Mispolm was still a fair threat even with me melting his health. Grumpkins were one-shotting the mages. I think Land Umber would’ve been simple to klll in class 2. He didn’t do anything really tricky, whereas Mispolm was filling the whole field with bouncing bombs and minions.

I loaded my game and this happened i figured i'd share it with you guys
    nk5rkok3hls4.jpg

H3KnucklesPolaritielionheart_mEl FantasticoEnlong
    edited May 2020
    Oh god. Edelfrei is dumb. Duran just destroyed some of the benevodons because lol attack saber II+crit rate+CS3 hitting every hit box at once several times. The water benevodon basically got locked into doing its super three times in a row because every time I drove its HP all the way to the next threshold in the vulnerable window. I'm not used to getting kills this fast on them it's amazing.

Wind benevodon is still bullshit when it decides to just spam attacks over the tiny battlefield.

I'm absolutely destroying random fights now between CS3 from Duran and Angela, Angela's spells, and Hawkeye on Ninja Master just spamming ninja move AoEs. And I gave him Reclaim from Angela so he refills his MP in no time off his multi-hit finishers.

Polaritie on