As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread of [Mana]

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Oh dang, those multi-hit finishers trigger Reclaim multiple times?

Makes me wish Angela or Charlotte had one of them; it's just a big strong hit for them. I guess it makes sense for the multi-hit finisher to be on Kevin and Hawkeye, though. Hawkeye's the only one of the two who needs that much MP, though. Kevin's magic is far less spammable.

Gotta love Moon Energy, though. I can't wait until he gets Broken Lines 2.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, Hawkeye can gain enough MP back in one combo to then go fire off another spell.

But Reclaim has nothing on his postgame chain skill that gives 1% MP back on hit. Regular hit, not power attack.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Hoo boy.

What does he even have that needs that much MP? Are his spells/traps even more rapidly spammable than before?

Also, is there a good way for Charlotte to restore her MP (she can only do 1 hit for Reclaim at a time), or shall I just accept that I will want Faerie Walnuts on a quick-select? I've got Angela sacrificing her HP for spells, so she's good on that front.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Enlong wrote: »
    Hoo boy.

What does he even have that needs that much MP? Are his spells/traps even more rapidly spammable than before?

Also, is there a good way for Charlotte to restore her MP (she can only do 1 hit for Reclaim at a time), or shall I just accept that I will want Faerie Walnuts on a quick-select? I've got Angela sacrificing her HP for spells, so she's good on that front.

It's a chain skill so it can go to people with bigger costs. And yeah, his spells can be spammed decently... the AoE ninja moves just auto-hit all enemies so you just stand there hitting the button until they're all dead.

Charlotte has some MP efficiency passives I think and is an obvious choice for Converter (30% MP cost taken from HP instead)? And then her class 4 quest gives -40% MP cost as a chain skill.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    ...oh yeah, Converter would be a good pick for her, wouldn't it? If she uses Healing Light, it repays the HP cost part. I had just put it on Angela to go with the theme of Wound Magic.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Converter's cost is trivial too, since 2-3 HP is meaningless. It's an amazing chain skill, available to everyone in the first half of the game, and you only get one chance to grab it.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    This game really needs a Lunatic difficulty setting.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    This game really needs a Lunatic difficulty setting.

Give me a Tales NG+ menu to select what carries over and the extra difficulty tiers and it would be perfect. My ideal is to reset levels to 1, keep all non-class chain abilities, pot level, and cactus, and then spike enemy strength up.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Yeah, that sounds about right. Man, I do so love a granular Newgame+ option; I don't much care for the standard one where you carry everything and the whole game is a stomp from the jump.

I actually haven't really done much NG+ stuff in Chrono Trigger, as a result, despite it being the one that put NG+ on the map. I did get the developer ending, though.

• Options
    All this talk about how busted Hawkeye is makes me want to go with him, Reisz, and Lightside Kevin for a second playthrough. But that's exactly what I just did on the original, so I kinda want to do an Angela/Duran playthrough before I do that. Not sure who to take as a third on that. If I put Duran on the healer side of things, I could field basically anyone in the last slot.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Angela is the most busted, in my opinion. Only moreso on a NG+ where MP is no issue.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Angela's definitely a blast! Her melee isn't bad at all this time around, and early on it's a neat synergy between using melee to restore her mana and spells when you have enough. Then you get the skills that just give you an embarrassing amount of mana recovery, and it's even better! She's basically a battlemage in this, and I like it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captaink wrote: »
    Angela is the most busted, in my opinion. Only moreso on a NG+ where MP is no issue.

Hawkeye and Riesz both can sling some nasty spells too. Summons are silly, Riesz is completely invincible while they're going off.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    if you want good tempering advice in Legend of Mana, the best advice is don't do it, it's totally unnecessary.

the second-best advice is to farm elemental coins and slam them into a good weapon (gold or platinum) late in the game, making sure you don't have any elements that eat each other. (pick two elements across from each other in the four-element cycle, and one of each opposed pair).

the worst advice is to look up the detailed FAQ posted on gamefaqs, learn the mechanics behind the arcane and terrible process, and after many hours of reading, grinding dragon steaks and gold coins in mekiv caverns with the tree of mana next to it, and a full hour of tempering in precise sequences while checking stats and saving periodically, make yourself an 800-power 2-handed sword the likes of which GAWD HIMSELF has never seen.

it was a pretty sweet sword, though
    Whoever wrote that could probably have used it as the basis of some sort of system analysis thesis.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Yeah, that sounds about right. Man, I do so love a granular Newgame+ option; I don't much care for the standard one where you carry everything and the whole game is a stomp from the jump.

I actually haven't really done much NG+ stuff in Chrono Trigger, as a result, despite it being the one that put NG+ on the map. I did get the developer ending, though.

Though due to the different ways you could approach the final fight CT+ also had one of the most varied NG+.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Haha, the allies-as-npcs in town don’t take into account your costume choices. They swap to the default costume for their job.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'm at the "Grind for levels and the best stuff for Post-game tomfoolery" stage that pops up in almost every JRPG

Playing this is honestly making me hope we get more SNES Era RPG Remakes

• Options
    Try again with Secret of Mana, but make it like this.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Try again with Secret of Mana, but make it like this.

Secret of Mana is one of my all time favorite games and I'm so sad the remake wasn't much more than an HD coat of paint.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I wish this game was multiplayer, even 2 player local co-op. It's not like the class strikes freeze the animation all the time otherwise my party would be interrupting my shit all the time.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Growls as Hawkeye slaps the one enemy with barrier out of the Class strike aoe for the fiftieth time.

• Options
    Haha, the allies-as-npcs in town don’t take into account your costume choices. They swap to the default costume for their job.

are you sure? I just saw Grand Diviner Angela in Pedda. Switch version here.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options

are you sure? I just saw Grand Diviner Angela in Pedda. Switch version here.

Pretty sure he's saying if you had her set to use her base Magician outfit, she'd still show as Grand Diviner in towns.

• Options
    yep.

I have her switched off of her Magus outfit, but she shows up in the Magus outfit in towns.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    In other news, I'm finally ready to NG+ now that I've done all three routes, with the goal of having a perfect file (all chain abilities).

Edit: Almost ready, anyways. Debating if I want to do the 2m boss kill and black rabbite now or on NG+ when I have +300% xp running :P.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Hahaha. Final boss was an absolute chump. Zable Fahr, Goremand, and Tainted Soul were way more effective foes than him. When he went down, I was expecting a second form.

There’s still the extra boss and the bonus boss to look forward to, though.

It could be that I picked up the best equipment I could buy, plus a rainbow seed weapon, but still.

Enlong on
  • Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Ninja Master (D/L) Hawkeye is so much better than Nightblade (D/D). His multi target ninja moves don't get an AOE, instead they just individually target every single enemy in battle, with perfect accuracy. This also includes every single individual hitbox of the giant bosses!

I had Magus Angela in my party but for those giant bosses (which includes the final boss and the post-game boss) it was more DPS to control Hawk and spam his ninjutsu at 10x effectiveness.

Waveform on
  • Options
    yep.

I have her switched off of her Magus outfit, but she shows up in the Magus outfit in towns.

woops I must've misunderstood.

• Options
    Whoof. Post-game
    duel with The King doesn’t fool around. Maybe I should bought some of those Defense-booster scales before going in. His basic combo after he powers up is way more deadly than his avoidable super attacks.

• Options
    Whoof. Post-game
    duel with The King doesn’t fool around. Maybe I should bought some of those Defense-booster scales before going in. His basic combo after he powers up is way more deadly than his avoidable super attacks.

That one's not so bad really.
    Try Angela's.

• Options
    I have to, next. Hoo boy.

• Options
    I have to, next. Hoo boy.

just did it on Hard with Infinite MP and OH BOY.

• Options
    Managed to complete it after a bunch of runs where I died instantly.
    mostly it boiled down to making sure I only used magic when I was sure it was safe to do so. After every one of the shadow’s dualcast Spells, or her class strikes. And never to get greedy and keep casting, because that’s when you get trapped in a combo that kills you outright.

I also equipped Magic Armor (to sometimes cancel spell damage), and Lightgazer’s Ring (because Lucent Beam was the biggest problem).

It was great when the shadow decided to use Ton Annihilation, because the absurdly long cast one meant I had plenty of time to drop an Ancient Curse on her head for Big Damage.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I got the class 4s, and have gained a bunch of levels going through the looooong bonus dungeon. And a Class Strike build for Darkside Kevin continues to be absolutely hilarious, with class 4 giving him a third level of Payback.

Payback 1 reduces the meter cost (but not required meter) for Class Strikes by 10%. Payback 2 reduces the cost by 15%. These stack, to 25%. Then you get Payback 3, which reduces the costs by 35% on its own, and still stacks. Equip all 3, and Kevin’s Class Strike costs drop to 40% of normal, with the one caveat being that you still need to have the original cost banked before you can use the strike.

But still, that lets him do Dragon Stream (400 meter) for a grand total of 240 meter. Or do Seiryuu Strike from 400 meter with 280 left over.

Or he can just do his first Class Strike on a single target 8 times in a row without pausing, and that’s ignoring blue crystals or Victory CS Boost. I’m loving this.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Man, I feel like I destroyed any challenge in this game with Light Class 4 Angela @ lv 99. I just spammed Lucent Beam+ and the boss died in like 2 mins tops. At least with my Duran, Charlotte and Riesz team I had a lil challenge.

• Options
    I feel like level 99 anything will just Destroy All.

• Options
    By the way, I feel that the stat serums are REALLY useless after finding out that:
    at lv 99 you can naturally cap all stats!

There's something about the speed she just tears thru bosses. Especially when you stack Judge II or Tough II (bosses or enemies +30% damage), Elemental Combo II (up to 30% increased damage from repeating elements), Pinpoint III (+40% Crit Chance), Magic Chance (30% chance decrease def and mag def on crit) and Limit Break III (Magic Damage +35%). I'm also running on Hawkeye MGC DEF Down All and oh boy.

• Options
    I wish there was a higher difficulty tier where you can really explore all these crazy builds is what I'm saying.

• Options
    Except don't create Penance or Dark Aeons. That was just wrong.

• Options
    Yeah. Just make a new difficulty that juiced up the levels or stats of all enemies. I would not mind doing a new game plus if I could do so with the whole game boasting stats to make my carried-over stuff worth using.